COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 02:09:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 354 355 356 357 358 [359] 360 361 362 363 364 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 547206 times)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8950 on: January 08, 2022, 07:10:18 PM »

C) You should only do a PCR test if you have tested positive on the antigen test (they are super expensive anyways so why would you test?)

I’ve seen this before, but I don’t really understand it. The PCR test is far more sensitive than an antigen test. I would think that if you test positive on the antigen, you presume positive, whereas if you test negative on antigen, you confirm with a PCR.

Also, PCR tests don’t cost the patient in the United States. Do they charge you in Spain?

Yeah they do, about 100€ iirc. I guess if you do an antigen test and test positive, it is free, but I am pretty sure it is not free if you just turn up at a lab and ask for one
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8951 on: January 08, 2022, 07:35:08 PM »

C) You should only do a PCR test if you have tested positive on the antigen test (they are super expensive anyways so why would you test?)

I’ve seen this before, but I don’t really understand it. The PCR test is far more sensitive than an antigen test. I would think that if you test positive on the antigen, you presume positive, whereas if you test negative on antigen, you confirm with a PCR.

Also, PCR tests don’t cost the patient in the United States. Do they charge you in Spain?

Yeah they do, about 100€ iirc. I guess if you do an antigen test and test positive, it is free, but I am pretty sure it is not free if you just turn up at a lab and ask for one

I paid $120 for the test.  They asked for my insurance info but since it's the new year it all went towards my annual deductible.
Hollywood
« Reply #8952 on: January 08, 2022, 07:46:40 PM »

Because I have a life and want to spend the next two weeks living it instead of hiding inside waiting to find out whether or not I have COVID.  But I also don't want to spread COVID to dozens of other people, especially people I care about, if I do have it.

Dude that ain't cool.  There's literally people that need to get those tests to come back negative in order to get back to work.

I don't understand the people I'm reading who are taking 3-6 tests at a time when they know the supply is strained. lol.  I didn't even want to get the test cause I knew it was such a trivial viral infection.  

I trust the medical director in South Africa more than I trust Fauci and CDC, because that guy was completely straight-forward about the threat from Omicron.  We should trade Fauci for that guy.  I give it few weeks before they hang Fauci from the top bar of a soccer goal in Durban.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8953 on: January 08, 2022, 07:59:27 PM »

Because I have a life and want to spend the next two weeks living it instead of hiding inside waiting to find out whether or not I have COVID.  But I also don't want to spread COVID to dozens of other people, especially people I care about, if I do have it.

Dude that ain't cool.  There's literally people that need to get those tests to come back negative in order to get back to work.

I have no idea what you're trying to say here, are you implying I shouldn't get tested even after spending significant time with someone who was infected with COVID, because someone else might need the test more than me?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8954 on: January 08, 2022, 08:16:31 PM »

I have no idea what you're trying to say here, are you implying I shouldn't get tested even after spending significant time with someone who was infected with COVID, because someone else might need the test more than me?

Correct. It's selfish to hog tests if you're low risk.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8955 on: January 08, 2022, 08:28:54 PM »

So uh, out of curiosity, do the US still require close contacts to self-isolate? Even if vaccinated?
I mean, require's a funny word. In America you are not required to do anything you don't want to do.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8956 on: January 08, 2022, 08:30:45 PM »

Tell that to my loved ones who don't want to get COVID from me.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8957 on: January 08, 2022, 08:34:42 PM »

Your loved ones are going to get omicron from someone no matter what.

You can't dodge it.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8958 on: January 08, 2022, 08:36:27 PM »

I am proud of Eric Adams and Lori Lightfoot for standing up to the the covid hysteria clowns.

I have noticed a trend of big city mayors recently fight more against covid measures than suburban liberals. Probably because their base is hurt more by covid measures.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #8959 on: January 08, 2022, 08:40:29 PM »

You can't dodge it.

For Christ's sake, let the man have his PCR test.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8960 on: January 08, 2022, 08:49:45 PM »

You can't dodge it.

For Christ's sake, let the man have his PCR test.

He's welcome to, selfishness is the American way. Doesn't change the fact that almost every single person in the country has either contracted omicron or will soon.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8961 on: January 08, 2022, 08:52:53 PM »

If you're right, then maybe the problem is requiring workers to test negative on a scarce test in order to return to work.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #8962 on: January 08, 2022, 08:56:05 PM »

The best I have heard is to just end all isolation quarantines, meaning even if you were exposed you wouldn’t need to isolate at all test or no test. While obviously this would end all quarantine absences short term, it definitely would increase cases to levels unprecedented, and while omicron does appear milder, the sheer volume still will likely kill a few more hundred thousand over the next few months if this were the policy action taken.

So uh, out of curiosity, do the US still require close contacts to self-isolate? Even if vaccinated?
Unless you are symptomatic, no. Starting in the past couple of weeks, this even applies to the unvaccinated but has applied to the vaccinated form months
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #8963 on: January 08, 2022, 09:07:59 PM »
« Edited: January 08, 2022, 09:12:01 PM by Meclazine »

Is Omicron worth stressing out about?

Looking at the numbers, NSW had 16 deaths from 32,000 positive test results.

We are talking 0.05% mortality rate.

COVID-19 Vanilla and Delta were 2% mortality rate at the end of the day.

The Omicron mortality numbers from NSW are 40 times lower than these data would have predicted.

Clearly, there is a 2 week lag between cases and deaths, we have 90% vaccination rates and the majority of people infected are 20-39 years of age, but the stats are revealing that this variant is much less potent than its predecessors.

walleye26

« Reply #8964 on: January 08, 2022, 09:12:44 PM »

I’m frustrated because I got vaxxed + my employer still requires masks, and I ended up testing positive Thursday night. Grrrr. I feel like crap but at least I have football
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #8965 on: January 08, 2022, 09:26:07 PM »

I’m frustrated because I got vaxxed + my employer still requires masks, and I ended up testing positive Thursday night. Grrrr. I feel like crap but at least I have football

I've said before that it seems like everyone is going to contract this virus at some point.
walleye26

« Reply #8966 on: January 08, 2022, 09:45:05 PM »

I've said before that it seems like everyone is going to contract this virus at some point.

Yeah, and it looks like Omnicron is making a LOT of breakthroughs.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8967 on: January 08, 2022, 10:05:18 PM »

You can't dodge it.

Bruh this some real sociopath s--t
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8968 on: January 08, 2022, 10:10:20 PM »

Because I have a life and want to spend the next two weeks living it instead of hiding inside waiting to find out whether or not I have COVID.  But I also don't want to spread COVID to dozens of other people, especially people I care about, if I do have it.

You can't dodge it.

Bruh this some real sociopath s--t

I don't think you understand how transmissible omicron is.

Fortunately it's also very mild.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8969 on: January 08, 2022, 10:27:27 PM »

Trish Gunby in MO HD 99, near southwestern St. Louis County, was able to win in Nov 2020 because she was actually going out and canvassing and speaking to voters.

She wasn't hiding behind her zoom app in her bed room with a double mask and biohazard suit like most white suburban Democrats did and end up wondering why they lost their races.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #8970 on: January 08, 2022, 10:29:00 PM »

Trish Gunby in MO HD 99, near southwestern St. Louis County, was able to win in Nov 2020 because she was actually going out and canvassing and speaking to voters.

She wasn't hiding behind her zoom app in her bed room with a double mask and biohazard suit like most white suburban Democrats did and end up wondering why they lost their races.

?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8971 on: January 08, 2022, 11:14:25 PM »

This is what you call an effective incentive:

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8972 on: January 08, 2022, 11:35:47 PM »

WA had one new COVID case with community transmission. 7 in hotel quarantine from interstate.

Population statistics for vaccination.

1st jab : 93.5%
2nd jab : 85.7%
Booster : 12.2%

WA had like 16 thousand news cases.  Are politicians trying to blame interstate travelers again.  Yeah.  Stop doing that S$$$. 

WA - Western Australia not Washington State.

16,000 is next level.

I guess the question is: Why are you posting WA numbers in the US covid thread rather than the international one?
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #8973 on: January 09, 2022, 12:03:22 AM »

So what are the off-ramps now to end restrictions?

Now that the vaccine has been approved for kids as young as 5 for the past 2 months, you never hear anything anymore about ending restrictions.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8974 on: January 09, 2022, 12:21:34 AM »

So what are the off-ramps now to end restrictions?

Now that the vaccine has been approved for kids as young as 5 for the past 2 months, you never hear anything anymore about ending restrictions.

When Republicans are elected in 2022.  There is no off ramp otherwise.
Pages: 1 ... 354 355 356 357 358 [359] 360 361 362 363 364 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies