COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 12:38:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 350 351 352 353 354 [355] 356 357 358 359 360 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 551556 times)
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8850 on: January 06, 2022, 02:26:20 AM »

“Everyone is gonna get it!”

North Sentinelese: “Hold my spear.”
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #8851 on: January 06, 2022, 09:36:05 AM »

I went to New Orleans last weekend. I'm boosted. I fully expected to get it when I went. And I have a PCR scheduled this afternoon.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #8852 on: January 06, 2022, 09:42:51 AM »

I went to New Orleans last weekend. I'm boosted. I fully expected to get it when I went. And I have a PCR scheduled this afternoon.

I have a test scheduled today too.  I've had a sore throat that I can't shake, a cough, and slight headache.  Some fatigue.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8853 on: January 06, 2022, 12:02:04 PM »

Good. Time to impeach President Fauci and remove him from office.

This is a weird obsession you and others have, as if Fauci is literally the only health expert on the planet who would put out the present guidance. Suppose you remove him, somebody else in his place will likely be putting out the exact same guidelines.

You’re right. We need to get rid of all of the self-aggrandizing technocrats who have usurped our representative form of government.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8854 on: January 06, 2022, 12:45:12 PM »
« Edited: January 06, 2022, 12:50:55 PM by Forumlurker »

I went to NYC in the midst of the omicron surge there. I travelled on the Subway extensively and walked through a ton of neighborhoods in Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Queens.
I have tested negative since.
There is hardly a chance I didn’t have contact with at least one positive person.

If you don’t want to catch it, wear a mask, wash your hands, and don’t eat indoors (unless in your hotel room or an empty restaurant) really common f**king sense. Yes omicron is more transmissible, but it still is bound by basic virology.

(Oh and I use and reuse KF-94s. As long as it doesn’t get wet and there isn’t visible damage, I reuse. If you reuse you save a lot of money)

Given omicron’s mildness, I will eventually personally be a bit more lax in the future. But all I am saying is that this isn’t some doomsday scenario.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8855 on: January 06, 2022, 12:47:34 PM »

This is a weird obsession you and others have, as if Fauci is literally the only health expert on the planet who would put out the present guidance. Suppose you remove him, somebody else in his place will likely be putting out the exact same guidelines.

You’re right. We need to get rid of all of the self-aggrandizing technocrats who have usurped our representative form of government.
This sounds like something I would read from a 14 year old on 4chan with an extremely limited understanding of government administration. Yes there are some parts that probably can be cut, but “all the technocrats” is such a broad term. You really are about as competent as Trump.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8856 on: January 06, 2022, 03:18:27 PM »

This sounds like something I would read from a 14 year old on 4chan with an extremely limited understanding of government administration. Yes there are some parts that probably can be cut, but “all the technocrats” is such a broad term. You really are about as competent as Trump.

lol ok
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8857 on: January 06, 2022, 05:06:30 PM »

lol ok

Just further proving Forumlurker's point the more you reply.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8858 on: January 06, 2022, 06:11:04 PM »
« Edited: January 06, 2022, 07:22:00 PM by Vaccinated Russian Bear »

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #8859 on: January 06, 2022, 06:28:13 PM »

My nephew has Omicron, exposed on Monday in Hobart.

One of his girlfriends' friends in Melbourne was freaking out about COVID transmission rates in Melbourne, so she flew to Hobart to stay in his house in the perceived safety of Tasmania.

But all she did was bring Omicron and infect every one in their house.

He was exposed Monday and was sick as a dog Thursday morning.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-07/covid-omicron-symptoms-incubation-period-infectious/100739260

It now appears Omicron is the most contagious communicable disease affecting humanity.

Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8860 on: January 06, 2022, 09:25:44 PM »

I know the last few years have left us traumatized in a lot of ways, but, uh.

Acknowledging global vaccine inequality and politicization of the pandemic exist is one thing, but saying “everyone’s going to get it” is really just epidemiology.

This is the woman who referred to Israeli babies as "pre-combatants" and legitimate targets, in case anyone wonders how much she actually values human life.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8861 on: January 06, 2022, 09:59:24 PM »

750 today. But hopefully it's slowing at this point. Deaths are going up again too and not trivial at ~2K.
compucomp

« Reply #8862 on: January 06, 2022, 10:01:04 PM »

Here's some pandemic news of practical importance, Biden's 500M at home tests may be ready for shipment starting mid-January. I know I will be grabbing as many as I can.

The White House is finalizing details with the U.S. Postal Service to deliver 500 million coronavirus test kits to households across the country, according to four people familiar with the plans, kick-starting a key part of President Biden’s response to the raging omicron variant.

The administration will launch a website allowing individuals to request the rapid tests, the people said, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss private planning sessions. Officials aim to begin shipping the kits by mid-January.

Test manufacturers and distributors seeking to provide a share of the 500 million tests have submitted proposals to the government, and the Biden administration on Thursday evening awarded its first contract toward the purchase, said a person with knowledge of the testing plan. A formal announcement on the effort could come as soon as next week.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8863 on: January 07, 2022, 01:14:16 AM »

Not only are the local hospital and nursing home now asking for COVID-positive employees to come in, they're even saying it for employees who HAVE SYMPTOMS. This is in local hospital and nursing home.

https://www.wpri.com/target-12/covid-positive-health-care-workers-called-into-work-in-rhode-island/

And... surprise, surprise:

https://www.wpri.com/target-12/outbreak-at-eleanor-slater-hospital-after-covid-positive-staff-called-into-work?

There’s now a huge outbreak among patients at the hospital after COVID positive employees came in.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #8864 on: January 07, 2022, 01:51:06 AM »

NSW has banned singing and dancing in light of a record Omicron outbreak:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-07/nsw-premier-dominic-perrottet-reinstates-covid-restrictions/100743852

WA recorded 1 Omicron case yesterday. Despite this, 2 million people in Perth are still on edge and mask mandate ends today.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8865 on: January 07, 2022, 07:01:32 AM »

Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8866 on: January 07, 2022, 09:05:59 AM »

Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #8867 on: January 07, 2022, 09:56:16 AM »

He'd be better off imposing a statewide vaccine mandate for workplaces and businesses. 90% of hospitalizations are among unvaccinated people. A fourth dose may help some of the vulnerable that make up that 10%, but it will not address the bulk of the problem.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8868 on: January 07, 2022, 10:53:03 AM »

I’ve of course been saying this for weeks now but it’s nice for the public health elites to finally get on board too.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #8869 on: January 07, 2022, 10:59:11 AM »

Really?!?!?! Naaawwwwwwww!!!!!
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8870 on: January 07, 2022, 02:19:02 PM »

I’ve of course been saying this for weeks now but it’s nice for the public health elites to finally get on board too.

You mean experts.

They aren’t f**king elites, they just don’t jump to conclusions to satisfy your wet dreams.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #8871 on: January 07, 2022, 03:22:19 PM »

Since December 20th, when Omicron really began to take off in the US, about 2.28% of the US population has tested positive for COVID. The idea that Omicron will just work its way through the entire population, and we'll reach some level of herd immunity probably has some truth to it (assuming no new variants in the near future), but it still has a long way to go, if that's the plan.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #8872 on: January 07, 2022, 03:35:18 PM »

Since December 20th, when Omicron really began to take off in the US, about 2.28% of the US population has tested positive for COVID. The idea that Omicron will just work its way through the entire population, and we'll reach some level of herd immunity probably has some truth to it (assuming no new variants in the near future), but it still has a long way to go, if that's the plan.

Most tests are at home nowadays, and I suspect most positive home test results are not getting reported to the govt. I've read that some counties, notably Fairfax VA, are not even accepting submission of home test results.

There is also tons of asymptomatic omicron that is presumably not being tested for.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8873 on: January 07, 2022, 03:38:19 PM »

Most tests are at home nowadays, and I suspect most positive home test results are not getting reported to the govt. I've read that some counties, notably Fairfax VA, are not even accepting submission of home test results.

There is also tons of asymptomatic omicron that is presumably not being tested for.
Not to mention that plenty of mildly symptomatic people across the country probably aren’t even bothering to get tested in the first place.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #8874 on: January 07, 2022, 03:43:26 PM »

I tested positive (home test) and I'm not included in that 2.28%.
Pages: 1 ... 350 351 352 353 354 [355] 356 357 358 359 360 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies