COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 02:18:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 332 333 334 335 336 [337] 338 339 340 341 342 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 547215 times)
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8400 on: December 23, 2021, 02:17:11 PM »

COVID is the Democrat’s version of Iraq. And I will keep saying this until the hysteria stops- which it sadly won’t, until atleast January 20, 2025.

And the sane people on the forum will continue laughing at you. Your analogy has no less sanity behind it than those who claim Russia hacked the 2016 vote count.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8401 on: December 23, 2021, 02:19:51 PM »

I remember when Delta began people here were saying it would be the last big wave.

Now we have Omicron, which makes everything before it pale in comparison.

So what reason do we have to believe there won’t be a variant behind Omicron that will not only be more infectious but also cause more serious illness and more death?  I’m not dooming so stfu about “dOoMeRs”…I am legit curious if there’s actually any reason to think we won’t have to deal with worsening variants even after Omicron.

Each variant seems to be less deadly per so many cases than the previous. Look at the death rate vs cases compared to the original wave for instance. Eventually we'll end up with a variant that is 100x more contagious than Omicron, but has less than 1% of the hospitalizations.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #8402 on: December 23, 2021, 02:23:38 PM »

I don't see the problem.

Obviously everyone is completely and totally free to do whatever they like.

It's the *job* of the experts to advise us on the safest course of action.  We can abide by their guidelines, or not.  If these same people didn't advise appropriate caution in the face of rising cases and disease, that'd be extremely horrible of them.  They're simply doing their job to tell us the safest course.
But some politicians take Fauci's word like gospel, and will institute gathering limits, based on this
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #8403 on: December 23, 2021, 02:24:08 PM »
« Edited: December 23, 2021, 04:54:13 PM by THG »

COVID is the Democrat’s version of Iraq. And I will keep saying this until the hysteria stops- which it sadly won’t, until atleast January 20, 2025.

And the sane people on the forum will continue laughing at you. Your analogy has no less sanity behind it than those who claim Russia hacked the 2016 vote count.

It has considerably more sanity to it than the Russia hysteria, if you really think about it. I even made a thread about listing various similarities.

Also, the so-called ‘sane people’ on this forum have laughed at me before, until I inevitably get vindicated and have the last laugh.

It’s honestly a tiring cycle at this point.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #8404 on: December 23, 2021, 02:29:27 PM »

Health experts always recommend the most absolute course of action, I don't know why this would be surprising. They also say avoid high fructose corn syrup entirely but most people still consume it.
That's different, because consumption high fructose corn syrup isn't outright banned, and I'm worried some places will force gathering limits
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8405 on: December 23, 2021, 02:30:34 PM »

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8406 on: December 23, 2021, 02:39:49 PM »

Nah. I'm seeing my family. Fauci can go fxck a cactus.

He said it's safe to do that if everyone is vaccinated.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #8407 on: December 23, 2021, 02:42:48 PM »

I don't see the problem.

Obviously everyone is completely and totally free to do whatever they like.

It's the *job* of the experts to advise us on the safest course of action.  We can abide by their guidelines, or not.  If these same people didn't advise appropriate caution in the face of rising cases and disease, that'd be extremely horrible of them.  They're simply doing their job to tell us the safest course.

But some politicians take Fauci's word like gospel, and will institute gathering limits, based on this

Let's say that's true.  Even then, a politician's actions does not negate the responsibility of the scientific community to issue safety guidelines and advise.  The two entities are entirely separate (think of it in the same manner as the separation of church and state).  Politicians will do whatever they think will win them the next election.  That should have no bearing on what the science shows.

But I don't think, after Biden's speech the other night, that many politicians will be left who'll be shutting things down or whatnot.  You might get some sporadic mask mandates here and there, but I think that's the most you'll see.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8408 on: December 23, 2021, 02:43:59 PM »

As I said above...you're free to do so.

Just because the scientific community gives advise (aka, doing their jobs) doesn't mean you have to follow it.  So calm the f down.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #8409 on: December 23, 2021, 02:47:57 PM »

Obviously a correct statement from a scientific standpoint. He's not saying nobody should gather. Seeing family when all are vaccinated is pretty safe. If you want to be super safe or have vulnerable people around, an additional test makes sense and shouldn't be a big deal.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8410 on: December 23, 2021, 02:48:57 PM »

I don't see why being vaccinated would make that any safer. It's mostly about the spines.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #8411 on: December 23, 2021, 02:50:38 PM »

Lol you guys know I hate Fauci, but he is talking about like office Christmas parties or other mass gatherings, which have been going on this year. My company had one where everyone was vaxxed and people still got COVID, and now all those people who attended had to scramble to get tests right before the holidays, which isn't easy to do right now. Those who tested positive have to quarantine at home away from their families...
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8412 on: December 23, 2021, 02:57:47 PM »

My Peru trip is still moving forward next month. I am obviously still monitoring the possibility of border closures but I am inclined to believe Peru wouldn't do it at this point. In fact their initial hard lock down has been widely criticized in hindsight.

But I will get to see how a society with a strict vaccine passport requirement to enter indoor areas works in practice.

The vaccines in Peru do seem like they are poor in prevent omicron infections but still show strength in preventing illness.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8413 on: December 23, 2021, 02:59:05 PM »

Not sure if this has already been discussed but as I predicted SCOTUS to hear Oral Arguments regarding Vaccine Mandates.
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/12/22/supreme-court-special-session-vaccine-requirements-526030

My guess is that the Vaccine Mandate for Health Care Workers will probably stay while the Vaccine Mandate for Private Businesses having more than 100 Employees will I think be struck down.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8414 on: December 23, 2021, 03:02:57 PM »

https://larepublica.pe/sociedad/2021/12/23/coronavirus-peru-ultimas-noticias-de-vacunacion-covid-19-cronograma-horarios-padron-del-minsa-y-cifras-actualizadas-hoy-jueves-23-de-diciembre-del-2021/

I am keeping track of Peruvian Covid updates.

Fortunately I can cancel very last minute if the situation looks bad there or if it there is a hint that Peru may shut down its borders or flights during my trip.

But hopefully I can see first hand how a society with vaccine requirements to enter public indoor areas nationally works in practice.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8415 on: December 23, 2021, 03:09:05 PM »

Lol you guys know I hate Fauci, but he is talking about like office Christmas parties or other mass gatherings, which have been going on this year. My company had one where everyone was vaxxed and people still got COVID, and now all those people who attended had to scramble to get tests right before the holidays, which isn't easy to do right now. Those who tested positive have to quarantine at home away from their families...

People hear Fauci's advise and think he's literally canceling Christmas or something.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8416 on: December 23, 2021, 03:39:37 PM »

I don't see why being vaccinated would make that any safer. It's mostly about the spines.

Hospitalization risk between vaccinated/unvaccinated is worlds apart.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #8417 on: December 23, 2021, 03:54:57 PM »

Obviously a correct statement from a scientific standpoint. He's not saying nobody should gather. Seeing family when all are vaccinated is pretty safe. If you want to be super safe or have vulnerable people around, an additional test makes sense and shouldn't be a big deal.
Fauci (and Democrats) need to read the room better. Even if Fauci is right in that Christmas parties should be avoided, it’s clear that no one wants to hear that, and no one who was actually planning on having a large Christmas party is actually gonna listen to Fauci. The public has moved on from COVID. Dems should move on from COVID too if they want to avoid a backlash. Stop talking about potential lockdowns. Stop talking about mask mandates. Stop talking about social distancing. Just tell people to get vaccinated
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #8418 on: December 23, 2021, 04:04:29 PM »

Hospitalization risk between vaccinated/unvaccinated is worlds apart.

I think a few people (sadly) have missed the joke here.
roxas11
United States

« Reply #8419 on: December 23, 2021, 04:05:57 PM »

Not sure if this has already been discussed but as I predicted SCOTUS to hear Oral Arguments regarding Vaccine Mandates.
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/12/22/supreme-court-special-session-vaccine-requirements-526030

My guess is that the Vaccine Mandate for Health Care Workers will probably stay while the Vaccine Mandate for Private Businesses having more than 100 Employees will I think be struck down.

Historically the Supreme court has been very pro mandate when it comes to vaccines

For example, in 1905, the Supreme Court ruled that a state can impose “reasonable regulations” to protect the public health, even when such regulations interfere with individual rights.

based on that fact alone, I think there is a good chance that the Biden administration will end up winning both cases

Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8420 on: December 23, 2021, 04:10:07 PM »

Who really has a Christmas party with 100 people anyway?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #8421 on: December 23, 2021, 04:12:38 PM »

Who really has a Christmas party with 100 people anyway?

I had two this week. Idiots cancelled the third for some reason. We're all pretty peeved about it.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #8422 on: December 23, 2021, 04:23:08 PM »

My workplace just had a big Christmas party - I'd say the demographics were such that pre-Covid, the Democrats would have won 75% of the crowd. But if you go there and tell them they shouldn't have the party, of course they won't be happy with you. Honestly I expect it will have been fine. Interesting that the Democrats' best defense here is "It's just advice! People still eat syrup, ya know."

Like, when you have to explain your own words by minimizing them, you realize it's a liability.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8423 on: December 23, 2021, 04:28:17 PM »

Fauci (and Democrats) need to read the room better. Even if Fauci is right in that Christmas parties should be avoided, it’s clear that no one wants to hear that, and no one who was actually planning on having a large Christmas party is actually gonna listen to Fauci. The public has moved on from COVID. Dems should move on from COVID too if they want to avoid a backlash. Stop talking about potential lockdowns. Stop talking about mask mandates. Stop talking about social distancing. Just tell people to get vaccinated

Even if no one wants to hear that, he should still say it if it's true. He's not a politician.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8424 on: December 23, 2021, 04:28:21 PM »

I remember when Delta began people here were saying it would be the last big wave.

Now we have Omicron, which makes everything before it pale in comparison.

So what reason do we have to believe there won’t be a variant behind Omicron that will not only be more infectious but also cause more serious illness and more death?  I’m not dooming so stfu about “dOoMeRs”…I am legit curious if there’s actually any reason to think we won’t have to deal with worsening variants even after Omicron.

Each variant seems to be less deadly per so many cases than the previous. Look at the death rate vs cases compared to the original wave for instance. Eventually we'll end up with a variant that is 100x more contagious than Omicron, but has less than 1% of the hospitalizations.

This does mean that literally everyone will get it.  I just really hope Im an asymptomatic case Sad
Pages: 1 ... 332 333 334 335 336 [337] 338 339 340 341 342 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies