COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 05:21:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 326 327 328 329 330 [331] 332 333 334 335 336 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 559408 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8250 on: December 20, 2021, 08:50:04 AM »

The Biden administration should publicly disavow anyone who says we'll be wearing masks forever.

There isn't a cure for the common cold and if we did stop wearing mask we would be coughing on one another,

Go back to the good ol days of coughing on one another and drinking in water fountains with other saliva right

You don't have to wear masks unless you enter a business or on public transportation, you can walk freely outside or indoor your Apartment without a mask
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8251 on: December 20, 2021, 09:15:09 AM »

Corey Booker tests positive

2nd Senator today (Liz w was the other)

Given that both are boosted, the likelihood it's Omicron is pretty high. Which, if they have communicated a lot with others (which makes sense, given BBB) might lead that almost every Senator is soon infected.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #8252 on: December 20, 2021, 09:57:54 AM »

What exactly are "mild" symptoms?  Is it basically just anything short of being in the hospital?
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8253 on: December 20, 2021, 10:14:24 AM »

What exactly are "mild" symptoms?  Is it basically just anything short of being in the hospital?

Not sure there's an exact definition. I'd say cough without struggling to breathe, headache, dullness, loss of taste and appetite.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8254 on: December 20, 2021, 10:15:48 AM »

Not sure there's an exact definition. I'd say cough without struggling to breathe, headache, dullness, loss of taste and appetite.

Low-grade fever too, perhaps.
compucomp

« Reply #8255 on: December 20, 2021, 10:17:35 AM »

Yes, mild symptoms have included anything which is not shortness of breath or low SpO2, which generally requires hospitalization, Link:

Asymptomatic or Presymptomatic Infection: Individuals who test positive for SARS-CoV-2 using a virologic test (i.e., a nucleic acid amplification test [NAAT] or an antigen test) but who have no symptoms that are consistent with COVID-19.
    Mild Illness: Individuals who have any of the various signs and symptoms of COVID-19 (e.g., fever, cough, sore throat, malaise, headache, muscle pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of taste and smell) but who do not have shortness of breath, dyspnea, or abnormal chest imaging.
    Moderate Illness: Individuals who show evidence of lower respiratory disease during clinical assessment or imaging and who have an oxygen saturation (SpO2) ≥94% on room air at sea level.
    Severe Illness: Individuals who have SpO2 <94% on room air at sea level, a ratio of arterial partial pressure of oxygen to fraction of inspired oxygen (PaO2/FiO2) <300 mm Hg, a respiratory rate >30 breaths/min, or lung infiltrates >50%.
    Critical Illness: Individuals who have respiratory failure, septic shock, and/or multiple organ dysfunction.

However, having said that, circumstantial evidence with Omicron seems to be that for many vaccinated people, mild symptoms really are "mild" by the usual human definition, i.e it is an annoying cold-like illness rather than a serious flu-like illness that puts you in bed. Also there is less reported loss of smell and taste. This is not scientific and obviously YMMV.
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #8256 on: December 20, 2021, 10:37:46 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XF5F2XrHHw

Get this man in the White House!!!!
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8257 on: December 20, 2021, 10:59:42 AM »
« Edited: December 20, 2021, 11:54:57 AM by jimmie »

I have zero cough today.

Tomorrow ill try to go on a big hike. But have to evaluate and ensure the cold weather won't harm me.

Come a long way from gasping for air a few hours on Thursday night with a 102 fever. Glad it was short lived tho. Concerner my cough lasted so long tho even if I had no other symptoms

My beautiful latino boyfriend blames my infection on DeSantis
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8258 on: December 20, 2021, 11:57:53 AM »

Mild symptoms? Pancreatic cancer first manifests itself with mild symptoms.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8259 on: December 20, 2021, 11:59:52 AM »

Lol

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8260 on: December 20, 2021, 12:15:01 PM »

Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #8261 on: December 20, 2021, 12:24:34 PM »

Someone should really make a convenient web app where you can enter your age, demographics, co-morbidities, and vaccine status and it will output an estimate of your probability of getting infected and dying of covid.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8262 on: December 20, 2021, 12:29:46 PM »

Pancreatic cancer has a 10% 5 year survival rate. Are you suggesting COVID does as well?
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8263 on: December 20, 2021, 12:32:29 PM »

I have Covid currently and its a complete non-event. I had a fever for 24 hours that was easily controlled by Tylenol and then had a few days of feeling tired with chills. Its been almost a week and i'm back to normal again. Very thankful for the vaccine as I have no doubt that likely made this process much easier.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8264 on: December 20, 2021, 12:33:55 PM »

Someone should really make a convenient web app where you can enter your age, demographics, co-morbidities, and vaccine status and it will output an estimate of your probability of getting infected and dying of covid.

Why? Read the stats above, its functionally 0 anyways. That would only serve to keep those who are already chronically afraid inside and masked up which helps no one. The virus can be deadly if you do not have the vaccine. if you are vaccinated, its not worth thinking about for another second of your life.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8265 on: December 20, 2021, 12:38:52 PM »

I have Covid currently and its a complete non-event. I had a fever for 24 hours that was easily controlled by Tylenol and then had a few days of feeling tired with chills. Its been almost a week and i'm back to normal again. Very thankful for the vaccine as I have no doubt that likely made this process much easier.

Excellent! Same position as me
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #8266 on: December 20, 2021, 12:41:15 PM »

Pancreatic cancer has a 10% 5 year survival rate. Are you suggesting COVID does as well?

To this date, not one single person has surviced for 5 years after a Covid infection

maekes u think 🤔
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8267 on: December 20, 2021, 12:42:34 PM »

Would be really nice.

Not exactly but here is somewhat similar, but it's only for unvaxxed. https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/covid-pandemic-mortality-risk-estimator

Note, that this likely overestimates the risks, because of unreported cases. If you're vaxxed divide by 10-20 (young and healthy by 20, old and sick by 10).
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #8268 on: December 20, 2021, 12:46:48 PM »

We will have a day with over 300,000 infections in a single day, possibly 400,000.

Do. Not. Panic.

We will have to measure it by hospitalization and notable illness.

We are nearing final victory over the pandemic. The miracle of modern science has turned this into the cold/flu for everyone but the moron unvaccinateds. We cannot allow the public health goons and the Enemy of the People press to treat this like pre-vaccine covid. We need to all collectively stand up, live our lives, and return to normal.

Great post, Lief. Unfortunately the insidious alliance between the fake news media and deranged public health goons using the pandemic as a cover to enact their moral, anti-human agenda has successfully bullied governments into overreacting to omicron (a common phenomenon now is for the enemy of the people press, desperate for clicks, to platform some random crank doctor suggesting that the new variant will leave us in a worse situation than April 2020).

The hordes of voluntarily unvaccinated goblin-people are beyond reason, but healing the brains of the normies who have memed themselves into believing they'll need to wear masks for the rest of their lives will be a long term project.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8269 on: December 20, 2021, 12:53:45 PM »

We will have a day with over 300,000 infections in a single day, possibly 400,000.

Do. Not. Panic.

We will have to measure it by hospitalization and notable illness.

We are nearing final victory over the pandemic. The miracle of modern science has turned this into the cold/flu for everyone but the moron unvaccinateds. We cannot allow the public health goons and the Enemy of the People press to treat this like pre-vaccine covid. We need to all collectively stand up, live our lives, and return to normal.

Great post, Lief. Unfortunately the insidious alliance between the fake news media and deranged public health goons using the pandemic as a cover to enact their moral, anti-human agenda has successfully bullied governments into overreacting to omicron (a common phenomenon now is for the enemy of the people press, desperate for clicks, to platform some random crank doctor suggesting that the new variant will leave us in a worse situation than April 2020).

The hordes of voluntarily unvaccinated goblin-people are beyond reason, but healing the brains of the normies who have memed themselves into believing they'll need to wear masks for the rest of their lives will be a long term project.

I am sorry to see all this foolishness in Europe. Punishing vaccinated people.

But even in the US... private companies are punishing vaccinated people as well. Yea, I am being paid, but it is insane that I am showing zero symptoms and I can't return on site to work with a n95 mask until the 26th or 27th due to "CDC guidance".

CDC guidance should be different for vaccinated asymptomatic people.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8270 on: December 20, 2021, 12:55:40 PM »

You know what.. the unvaccinated in Virginia.. they are probably the same clowns who thought Youngkin would carry Loudoun County, VA. What a correlation!
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #8271 on: December 20, 2021, 01:06:04 PM »

Moderna says their booster increases antibody protection 37-fold.

Does that mean protection is just 37%?

Sorry, I’m an idiot who needs a dumbed down explanation.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8272 on: December 20, 2021, 01:07:19 PM »

It means that the average amount of antibodies found in someone who has had a booster is 37 times larger than in someone who has had just the first two shots.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8273 on: December 20, 2021, 01:09:35 PM »

Level of the antibodies is 37 times higher after booster (50 micrograms). 83 times higher for 100 micrograms.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8274 on: December 20, 2021, 01:09:54 PM »

The original goal of the vaccines was to prevent hospitalization and severe illness.

They all do that.

But we got very lucky with Pfizer and Moderna that they largely stop even omicron infections but obviously not perfect. Look at me..

But selling vaccines as a way to stop infection was always dubious

but I am confident .. with the rate we developed these jabs, we will have credible vaccines that will stop infections entirely before 2024.
Pages: 1 ... 326 327 328 329 330 [331] 332 333 334 335 336 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies