COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 11:17:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 296 297 298 [299] 300 301 302 303 304 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 554355 times)
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7450 on: November 13, 2021, 11:49:02 AM »

Certain people are certainly still cheerleading for, if not lockdowns, an increase in distancing measures and business restrictions. It usually takes the form of scaremongering articles that undermine vaccine confidence. But there's no political will to enforce it by any governor, nor would they be able to without massive protests that would dwarf anything in 2020.

Certainly true. Governor Polis, for example, has been resisting calls to reimpose a mask mandate, or any broader business restrictions. Instead, he's made all adult Coloradans eligible to obtain a booster shot, and has continued to emphasize the importance of getting vaccinated. Hopefully other Democratic Governors will follow his example.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7451 on: November 13, 2021, 02:50:36 PM »

The Netherlands has actually gone into a partial lockdown-with business closures but not the stay at home orders-and they have a higher vaccination rate than the US. While Australia's lockdown is over, New Zealand's largest city is still going with the lockdown-likely until November 29. So it's not an impossible response everywhere. At the moment, I don't see it happening in the US, and the states where the outbreak could get really bad are not going to impose any extra restrictions.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #7452 on: November 13, 2021, 03:51:07 PM »

There literally hasn't been anything that could sanely be called a "lockdown" in the United States in more than a year. What are yall on about with this nonsense.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7453 on: November 13, 2021, 04:01:27 PM »

There literally hasn't been anything that could sanely be called a "lockdown" in the United States in more than a year. What are yall on about with this nonsense.

That's not quite accurate. Places like NY and CA did have major businesses like amusement parks and indoor dining closed into 2021 in some cases.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7454 on: November 13, 2021, 04:04:41 PM »

Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7455 on: November 13, 2021, 04:49:52 PM »

Epically pwning the deplorables over their reactions to the pandemic is old news at this point. We all know they're killing themselves and one another to own the libs and there's not much to say about it that hasn't been said already.
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #7456 on: November 13, 2021, 05:07:30 PM »

That's not quite accurate. Places like NY and CA did have major businesses like amusement parks and indoor dining closed into 2021 in some cases.

I really don't think the term "lockdown" makes sense other than for the more extreme measures early on in the pandemic, such as when all non-essential businesses were closed and there were strict stay-at-home orders, and probably for the period immediately after that where most non-essential retail businesses were open but all businesses still were required to operate under very strict capacity restrictions. Restrictions on certain narrowly-defined types of businesses, like restaurants or amusement parks, don't really feel like they should be lumped in with the much more drastic economy-wide restrictions from the first few months of the pandemic.

That's not saying there aren't reasonable debates on when those more narrow restrictions should have been lifted - for instance, I'm generally in the camp that the restaurant restrictions were reasonable, but outdoor activities like amusement parks should have had restrictions dropped sooner - but just as a matter of words having coherent meanings, I don't see how anyone could call that sort of thing a lockdown.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #7457 on: November 13, 2021, 06:44:13 PM »

So the latest crazy theory is that bathing in borax will remove the vaccine from your body.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/no-you-cant-undo-a-covid-vaccine-with-a-borax-bath-but-you-could-hurt-yourself-11636754961?link=sfmw_tw

Wash your clothes with borax — not your body.

The powdery chemical compound often used as a cleaning agent was trending on Twitter on Friday, after a news report claimed that some antivaxers have been using it in a potentially dangerous detox bath to “undo” their COVID-19 vaccines.

The NBC News report highlighted a viral TikTok video featuring Dr. Carrie Madej, an osteopathic internal medicine doctor who has posted a number of debunked theories about COVID vaccines to Twitter. The original video was removed by TikTok last month, but clips and the recipe have continued to spread across social media. Madej claims that one can “detox the vaxx” by soaking in a bath of baking soda and Epsom salt — which are safe enough, but don’t act the way she claims they will.

This feature is powered by text-to-speech technology. Want to see it on more articles?

The powdery chemical compound often used as a cleaning agent was trending on Twitter on Friday, after a news report claimed that some antivaxers have been using it in a potentially dangerous detox bath to “undo” their COVID-19 vaccines.

The NBC News report highlighted a viral TikTok video featuring Dr. Carrie Madej, an osteopathic internal medicine doctor who has posted a number of debunked theories about COVID vaccines to Twitter. The original video was removed by TikTok last month, but clips and the recipe have continued to spread across social media. Madej claims that one can “detox the vaxx” by soaking in a bath of baking soda and Epsom salt — which are safe enough, but don’t act the way she claims they will.

“Baking soda and Epsom salts, she falsely claims, will provide a ‘radiation detox’ to remove radiation Madej falsely believes is activated by the vaccine,” writes reporter Ben Collins. “Bentonite clay will add a ‘major pull of poison,’ she says, based on a mistaken idea in anti-vaccine communities that toxins can be removed from the body with certain therapies.”

But then the recipe calls for adding a cup of borax into the mix — a cleaning agent that the Food and Drug Administration has banned as a food additive because it’s a potentially harmful skin and eye irritant, and can cause digestive problems. Madej claims that borax will “take nanotechnologies out of you,” although it’s unclear what she means by this. She has falsely claimed that there is a “liquified computing system” inside coronavirus vaccines, however, such as in a “Reawaken America” podcast.
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #7458 on: November 13, 2021, 07:04:44 PM »

So the latest crazy theory is that bathing in borax will remove the vaccine from your body.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/no-you-cant-undo-a-covid-vaccine-with-a-borax-bath-but-you-could-hurt-yourself-11636754961?link=sfmw_tw

This feature is powered by text-to-speech technology. Want to see it on more articles?

“Baking soda and Epsom salts, she falsely claims, will provide a ‘radiation detox’ to remove radiation Madej falsely believes is activated by the vaccine,” writes reporter Ben Collins. “Bentonite clay will add a ‘major pull of poison,’ she says, based on a mistaken idea in anti-vaccine communities that toxins can be removed from the body with certain therapies.”

But then the recipe calls for adding a cup of borax into the mix — a cleaning agent that the Food and Drug Administration has banned as a food additive because it’s a potentially harmful skin and eye irritant, and can cause digestive problems. Madej claims that borax will “take nanotechnologies out of you,” although it’s unclear what she means by this. She has falsely claimed that there is a “liquified computing system” inside coronavirus vaccines, however, such as in a “Reawaken America” podcast.

I say this realizing that it is going to sound extreme, but seriously, jail these people. Crap like this is going to get people killed.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #7459 on: November 13, 2021, 10:56:54 PM »

It’s not quite a lockdown, but most of the fast food restaurants in my area still have never reopened for in-person dining.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #7460 on: November 14, 2021, 09:21:23 AM »

It’s not quite a lockdown, but most of the fast food restaurants in my area still have never reopened for in-person dining.

Some of them are open around here, but a lot of them are still closed.
compucomp

« Reply #7461 on: November 14, 2021, 10:30:25 AM »

Is there any government policy, federal, state, or local, which is forcing these restaurants to stay closed? I'm not aware of any such policy in the NY/NJ area for at least the past 6 months. Or is it the choice of the restaurants themselves? If it's the latter, why are you blaming the government, or Joe Biden, or the Democrats?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7462 on: November 14, 2021, 11:54:57 AM »

Is there any government policy, federal, state, or local, which is forcing these restaurants to stay closed? I'm not aware of any such policy in the NY/NJ area for at least the past 6 months. Or is it the choice of the restaurants themselves? If it's the latter, why are you blaming the government, or Joe Biden, or the Democrats?

In Georgia, no restaurants are required to have their dining rooms closed.  Most are open, but there are a few fast food places that are still doing drive-through only.  This may be more due to difficulty finding enough staff than out of concern for COVID.

I also encountered a hybrid model at a Steak N Shake up in Fort Oglethorpe (NW corner of Georgia) a couple months ago.  Their dining room was open, but they no longer had table service.  Instead, you placed your order at the counter and they called you when it was ready to pick up, packed in to-go bags like a drive-through order.  Every second table was closed off to create social distancing.  There were bins of silverware, napkins, condiments, etc. from which you served yourself.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7463 on: November 14, 2021, 01:17:53 PM »

I feel like that's a business decision that might be as tied to the labor issues as anything else. In NJ, most of the big fast food chains have but I know a lot of local restaurants that haven't.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #7464 on: November 14, 2021, 01:21:55 PM »

Maybe some of these places would have closed even if COVID had never happened, but I guess that's because we have an economic system that just isn't workable. I think lockdowns made it worse though by creating conditions where more and more people just aren't able to meet the demands of their workplaces.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7465 on: November 14, 2021, 02:15:15 PM »

👀
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #7466 on: November 14, 2021, 06:23:57 PM »

They say the booster restores effectiveness back to 95% or so.

Does that include against variants like Delta?
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7467 on: November 14, 2021, 09:22:53 PM »

I'm scheduled for my booster on Tuesday.  Thought about mixing it up, but I'm just getting Pfizer again.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #7468 on: November 14, 2021, 10:59:07 PM »

👀

The big problem with this graph is that the way it defines the population “eligible” for boosters is not how the US actually defines it.  But this is also somewhat our own fault in that it has been very unclear for months who is actually eligible.  I got my booster a month ago, but I’m still really have no idea if I was technically ellgible for this.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7469 on: November 15, 2021, 12:55:51 AM »

I had a dream that I tested positive for Covid. I had no symptoms.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7470 on: November 15, 2021, 01:37:04 AM »

In Georgia, no restaurants are required to have their dining rooms closed.  Most are open, but there are a few fast food places that are still doing drive-through only.  This may be more due to difficulty finding enough staff than out of concern for COVID.

I also encountered a hybrid model at a Steak N Shake up in Fort Oglethorpe (NW corner of Georgia) a couple months ago.  Their dining room was open, but they no longer had table service.  Instead, you placed your order at the counter and they called you when it was ready to pick up, packed in to-go bags like a drive-through order.  Every second table was closed off to create social distancing.  There were bins of silverware, napkins, condiments, etc. from which you served yourself.

I've seen this in Michigan.

I prefer to go inside because waiting in a drive-through line eats gasoline. Twenty minutes of idling is one gallon of gasoline, and I look at that as a cost of the meal.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -4.70

P P
« Reply #7471 on: November 15, 2021, 01:42:30 AM »

If the study was done recently, then it has to.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #7472 on: November 15, 2021, 01:49:35 AM »

In Georgia, no restaurants are required to have their dining rooms closed.  Most are open, but there are a few fast food places that are still doing drive-through only.  This may be more due to difficulty finding enough staff than out of concern for COVID.

I also encountered a hybrid model at a Steak N Shake up in Fort Oglethorpe (NW corner of Georgia) a couple months ago.  Their dining room was open, but they no longer had table service.  Instead, you placed your order at the counter and they called you when it was ready to pick up, packed in to-go bags like a drive-through order.  Every second table was closed off to create social distancing.  There were bins of silverware, napkins, condiments, etc. from which you served yourself.

I have also noticed it's become more common in my area for full-service restaurants that used to be open all day to now close for a couple of hours between the lunch and dinner shifts (2:00p to 5:00p), presumably for staffing reasons. 
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7473 on: November 15, 2021, 06:31:18 AM »

Yes. Both clinical studies and real-life data from UK indicated it.

👀

The big problem with this graph is that the way it defines the population “eligible” for boosters is not how the US actually defines it.  But this is also somewhat our own fault in that it has been very unclear for months who is actually eligible.  I got my booster a month ago, but I’m still really have no idea if I was technically ellgible for this.

Well, Covid won't care about your definitions. We have now enough, even though noisy, data to conclude, that vaccine efficacy vanes considerably for non-healthy/elder people after 4-5 months (for Pfizer - for Moderna you have probably add 1-2 months more).
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7474 on: November 15, 2021, 11:09:06 AM »

I'm off to get my covid booster and flu shot.

Just the thought of being vaccinated makes me feel good.
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 296 297 298 [299] 300 301 302 303 304 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies