COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 12:30:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 214 215 216 [217] 218 219 220 221 222 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 546379 times)
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5400 on: July 27, 2021, 02:03:58 PM »

What's going to start happening is that a significant part of the population is going to start staying home again because they're legitimately freaked out.

If those people wanna miss out on life because of blatant misinformation and government sanctioned hypochondria, they have every right to. I'm fine with shorter lines and less traffic.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5401 on: July 27, 2021, 02:15:13 PM »

It's clear that some on the so-called left are just as bad as those on the right. Wearing a f-cking mask in a grocery store isn't harming anyone. Vaccines and masks together have the potential to crush this virus, but so many want to relinquish some of our best tools.

The problem is that you have one group who has done both of these, and one group who has refused to do either--and so many here are directing their rage at the vaccinated people who no longer wish to wear masks, rather than the unvaccinated who are both refusing to vaccinate and would similarly simply refuse to follow mask mandates.

Shout out to my fellow fully vaccinateds who have still been wearing a mask and socially distancing while in public.

Don't include me in this, I've been socially distancing since long before the pandemic because people have no concept of personal space.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5402 on: July 27, 2021, 02:26:47 PM »

It's clear that some on the so-called left are just as bad as those on the right. Wearing a f-cking mask in a grocery store isn't harming anyone. Vaccines and masks together have the potential to crush this virus, but so many want to relinquish some of our best tools.

The problem is that you have one group who has done both of these, and one group who has refused to do either--and so many here are directing their rage at the vaccinated people who no longer wish to wear masks, rather than the unvaccinated who are both refusing to vaccinate and would similarly simply refuse to follow mask mandates.

Shout out to my fellow fully vaccinateds who have still been wearing a mask and socially distancing while in public.

Don't include me in this, I've been socially distancing since long before the pandemic because people have no concept of personal space.

That sounds more like social anxiety than anything else tbh.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5403 on: July 27, 2021, 02:31:50 PM »
« Edited: July 27, 2021, 02:35:53 PM by Hammy »

That sounds more like social anxiety than anything else tbh.

I'm unfortunate enough to have all three-social anxiety, generalized anxiety (which has worsened during the pandemic), and panic disorder (also worsened through various unrelated life events) so I've always tried keeping my distance in densely crowded areas. Lines are especially troublesome as I get squeezed between a bunch of people.

This would've been an advantage had the pandemic not made me too nervous to go out in the first place
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #5404 on: July 27, 2021, 02:43:30 PM »

Multnomah County put in a “recommendation” to wear masks indoors. Obviously it’s unenforceable. I think it’s just so they can act like they’re doing something while not truly riling people up because enforcement here is gonna be left to the businesses’ discretion.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5405 on: July 27, 2021, 02:47:05 PM »

Where can you find out if your county is high or substantial transmission?
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5406 on: July 27, 2021, 02:52:15 PM »

If you look up 'covid cases' followed by your state in google it'll give you a graphic with a menu where you can just type it in and bring it up--that's what I've been using.

YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #5407 on: July 27, 2021, 02:52:45 PM »

Yeah, I think I'm done with this topic. This is legitimately the stupid country and there will be a price to pay for that. It's clear that some on the so-called left are just as bad as those on the right. Wearing a f-cking mask in a grocery store isn't harming anyone. Vaccines and masks together have the potential to crush this virus, but so many want to relinquish some of our best tools. What's going to start happening is that a significant part of the population is going to start staying home again because they're legitimately freaked out. It may be that the Delta variant isn't enough to send vaccinated people to the hospital for the most part, but allowing this virus to run rampant across the population is both reckless and dangerous.

The left including probably a majority of the thread want vaccine mandates. The right does not. So stop saying they are the same. And quit blaming vaccinated folks for allowing this virus to run rampant when the transmission is from unvaccinated folks.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5408 on: July 27, 2021, 02:53:16 PM »

This seems way too harsh ofc.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5409 on: July 27, 2021, 03:00:04 PM »

This is basically the teacher punishing the entire class for the behavior of a few bad apples.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #5410 on: July 27, 2021, 03:04:40 PM »

This is basically the teacher punishing the entire class for the behavior of a few bad apples.

The CDC is also undermining its credibility through this move. Now, we're going to see the anti-vaxxers say that they are "vindicated" by this, and the alarmists will be "vindicated" also. Both groups will claim that the vaccine is ineffective. I will be very angry if my workplace decides to reimpose its mask requirement, and if mask mandates return to Colorado. This is the kind of thing I could see having a detrimental effect politically in next year's midterms.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5411 on: July 27, 2021, 03:07:19 PM »

The CDC is also undermining its credibility through this move. Now, we're going to see the anti-vaxxers say that they are "vindicated" by this, and the alarmists will be "vindicated" also. Both groups will claim that the vaccine is ineffective. I will be very angry if my workplace decides to reimpose its mask requirement, and if mask mandates return to Colorado. This is the kind of thing I could see having a detrimental effect politically in next year's midterms.

What these past few weeks have taught me is that the anti vax movement is still alive and well on the left. They just hide their vaccine skepticism by being super pro mask.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5412 on: July 27, 2021, 03:08:57 PM »

It seems with Trump, the CDC guidance ceased to operate based on science, Biden has continued this. Unless this administration is willing to a-mandate vaccines, or b-enforce mask mandates for the unvaccinated, all of this is nothing but 'look like we're doing something with the lowest possible effort' and is no different than cops busting people for an ounce of pot while letting larger drug rings go unpunished.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #5413 on: July 27, 2021, 03:13:01 PM »

What these past few weeks have taught me is that the anti vax movement is still alive and well on the left. They just hide their vaccine skepticism by being super pro mask.

It seems with Trump, the CDC guidance ceased to operate based on science, Biden has continued this. Unless this administration is willing to a-mandate vaccines, or b-enforce mask mandates for the unvaccinated, all of this is nothing but 'look like we're doing something with the lowest possible effort' and is no different than cops busting people for an ounce of pot while letting larger drug rings go unpunished.

At this point, I'm afraid that we're still going to be in "COVID mode" this time next year, with the endless conversations about cases, variants, and all of the rest. It's clear to me that normalcy isn't going to return for several more months yet.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5414 on: July 27, 2021, 03:15:35 PM »

I am fully vaccinated and still wearing an N-95 mask. Every door shut on a potential infection no matter how unlikely moves us away from Covid faster. Why can't people still not understand this?

Why can't I just put the star on my chest?

What the f*** is your problem!
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #5415 on: July 27, 2021, 03:26:48 PM »

Trust the science crowd is very happy today that the science has changed again, in their favor!

Sorry, I'm fully vaccinated for traveling purposes and not wearing a mask again.  You aren't gaining your freedoms back by forcing others to get vaccinated, you get them back by recognizing you are your own entity and the government/media/elites are trying to control you. 
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #5416 on: July 27, 2021, 03:27:30 PM »

I had many people in my family that had Diabetes A1C levels affect the fever, too many red blood cells in your system, the Vaccine or IV has a cooling system in it to bring down your sugar levels and red blood cell count, and many of us have already been vaccinated

I have had no new episodes since I was vaccinated, Delta doesn't mean anything
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5417 on: July 27, 2021, 03:29:19 PM »

Glad to see we will have a useful conversation about the Delta Variant and how it should and should not change our approach instead of random conspiracies, personal attacks, and rants.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5418 on: July 27, 2021, 03:31:20 PM »

Glad to see we will have a useful conversation about the Delta Variant and how it should and should not change our approach instead of random conspiracies, personal attacks, and rants.

Other than the Nazi comparison from a known contrarian troll, this convo has been reasonably tame so not sure what you're talking about?
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #5419 on: July 27, 2021, 03:34:51 PM »

I mean, this is a political forum, and a lot of people think this decision is political and not based on science.  What do you expect is going to happen?
Pro-Israel, anti-Bibi
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #5420 on: July 27, 2021, 03:35:49 PM »

a lot of people think this decision is political and not based on science.  

Not anybody intelligent or credible.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5421 on: July 27, 2021, 03:38:40 PM »

a lot of people think this decision is political and not based on science.  

Not anybody intelligent or credible.

You've bent over backwards trying to explain why rural whites are justified in not getting vaccinated because "big pharma did them wrong in the past" so not sure why you're preaching "follow the science" now...
compucomp

« Reply #5422 on: July 27, 2021, 03:42:07 PM »

I'm so deeply opposed to the vaccine, I sat at my desk refreshing multiple tracker sites in April to find the earliest appointment possible in three states and would seriously consider getting a third shot (or 4th, 5th, etc) without official sanction if the spread gets bad enough. If that's being "anti-vax" maybe everyone should be anti-vax.

The "skepticism" is due to the fact that public health authorities and people like you have adopted the message that the vaccine is an impenetrable virus-repelling force field allowing one to be safe against COVID-19 regardless of the exposure. This message is false and now untenable given Delta. "Oh, but you're mostly protected against severe illness and death" you say. Well, I prefer to avoid being bedridden for a week with a high fever, losing my sense of smell and taste, and suffering long-term effects afterwards with a "mild" infection, and hospitalization is such a disastrous result that honestly 95% protection isn't even that good of a number.

No matter how much you want it to be, the pandemic is not over, COVID-19 is still a threat to the public, it's still spreading out of control, and mitigation measures are necessary. I would love a real vaccine mandate where unvaccinated are effectively barred from public places, but since that's impractical and masks are zero cost and worked before, I advocate for mask mandates. Clearly the public health authorities are coming around to my point of view.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5423 on: July 27, 2021, 03:45:21 PM »

I'm so deeply opposed to the vaccine, I sat at my desk refreshing multiple tracker sites in April to find the earliest appointment possible in three states and would seriously consider getting a third shot (or 4th, 5th, etc) without official sanction if the spread gets bad enough. If that's being "anti-vax" maybe everyone should be anti-vax.

The "skepticism" is due to the fact that public health authorities and people like you have adopted the message that the vaccine is an impenetrable virus-repelling force field allowing one to be safe against COVID-19 regardless of the exposure. This message is false and now untenable given Delta. "Oh, but you're mostly protected against severe illness and death" you say. Well, I prefer to avoid being bedridden for a week with a high fever, losing my sense of smell and taste, and suffering long-term effects afterwards with a "mild" infection, and hospitalization is such a disastrous result that honestly 95% protection isn't even that good of a number.

No matter how much you want it to be, the pandemic is not over, COVID-19 is still a threat to the public, it's still spreading out of control, and mitigation measures are necessary. I would love a real vaccine mandate where unvaccinated are effectively barred from public places, but since that's impractical and masks are zero cost and worked before, I advocate for mask mandates. Clearly the public health authorities are coming around to my point of view.

YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5424 on: July 27, 2021, 03:51:28 PM »

At this point, I'm afraid that we're still going to be in "COVID mode" this time next year, with the endless conversations about cases, variants, and all of the rest. It's clear to me that normalcy isn't going to return for several more months yet.

The unvaccinated is who is truly in “COVID mode”. The vaccinated are back to relative normal, and honestly this may just burn through the unvaccinated relatively quickly just because it’s so contagious. The Delta wave hasn’t been particularly long in other countries.
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 214 215 216 [217] 218 219 220 221 222 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies