COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 06:49:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 138 139 140 [141] 142 143 144 145 146 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 546173 times)
Omega21

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3500 on: April 13, 2021, 07:34:07 AM »

Oh so a few people getting blood clots is worse than getting covid? A few people getting blood clots is worse than indefinite unemployment and loss of learning? A few people getting blood clots is worse than hundreds of thousands of people dying from covid 19?

This is just more evidence that a largely vaccinated population is not the end goal. More proof that the government has no intention of wanting this pandemic to end. More proof this is all about control and not about public health.

Example: Blood clots sometimes occurred in a fairly young population vaccinated with AZ. Cases were reported even in 20-year-olds.

For a 20-year-old, the chance of dying from the virus is almost non-existent, i.e. extremely low. Thus any risk of a blood clot, which is a very serious, often life-threatening condition, is to be investigated thoroughly, as the virus it is supposed to protect against is very rarely life-threatening for very young people.

The number of "blood clots" are so minimal compared to the deaths from covid-19 itself. It is not worth stopping usage of this vaccine.

For older people, you're right. For younger people, you're wrong.

Tell me, how many < 29-year-olds do you think died with (not necessarily as a result of) Corona in the US?

In total, 2250 0-29 year olds died.
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm#SexAndAge

Many were most likely already seriously/chronically ill and/or immunocompromised, meaning a healthy 20-year-old has an almost 0 chance of dying from the virus. So if the vaccine turns out to be more dangerous to that group than the virus itself, it should not be given.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #3501 on: April 13, 2021, 07:35:12 AM »

The online left says a lot of things (Whoever the "online left" are)

They are social media totalitarians. The real left laughs right in their faces.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3502 on: April 13, 2021, 07:37:22 AM »
« Edited: April 13, 2021, 07:41:26 AM by jimmie »

Oh so a few people getting blood clots is worse than getting covid? A few people getting blood clots is worse than indefinite unemployment and loss of learning? A few people getting blood clots is worse than hundreds of thousands of people dying from covid 19?

This is just more evidence that a largely vaccinated population is not the end goal. More proof that the government has no intention of wanting this pandemic to end. More proof this is all about control and not about public health.

Example: Blood clots sometimes occurred in a fairly young population vaccinated with AZ. Cases were reported even in 20-year-olds.

For a 20-year-old, the chance of dying from the virus is almost non-existent, i.e. extremely low. Thus any risk of a blood clot, which is a very serious, often life-threatening condition, is to be investigated thoroughly, as the virus it is supposed to protect against is very rarely life-threatening for very young people.

The number of "blood clots" are so minimal compared to the deaths from covid-19 itself. It is not worth stopping usage of this vaccine.

Tell me, how many < 29-year-olds do you think died with (not necessarily as a result of) Corona in the US?

Many were most likely already seriously/chronically ill and/or immunocompromised, meaning a healthy 20-year-old has an almost 0 chance of dying from the virus. So if the vaccine turns out to be more dangerous to that group than the virus itself, it should not be given.

has anyone actually died from a blood clot? Considering the amount of people who had blood clots, 6, is less than 2250. Considering like 7 million (? I think) Johnson and Johnson vaccines have been given.. the evidence is clear.. It is worth using.
Omega21

« Reply #3503 on: April 13, 2021, 07:40:32 AM »

has anyone actually died from a blood clot? Considering the amount of people who had blood clots, 6, is less than 2250. Considering like 9 million (? I think) Johnson and Johnson vaccines have been given.. the evidence is clear.. It is worth using.

2250 is made up of mostly chronically ill people (with cancer etc.), so you can't use that number. You need the number of healthy <29 yr olds that died with covid, which we don't have.

E.g. over 114,000 < 29-year-olds died due to other causes in 20/21, so Corona didn't even dent the overall statistic. Much different story for older people though.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3504 on: April 13, 2021, 07:41:53 AM »

To make it clear.. and I am not saying this out of emotion

I do not care about a few rare blood clots.
roxas11
United States

« Reply #3505 on: April 13, 2021, 07:44:23 AM »

Even if this situation turns out to be nothing in the end the damage is Done

Johnson and Johnson may have just made the vaccine hesitancy issue even worse. Now right wing conspiracy theorists online are going to use this moment to convince a lot of trump supporters to never take any vaccine including moderna
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3506 on: April 13, 2021, 07:50:11 AM »

There are aspects of the economy that are dangerously underregulated. Healthcare is not one of them. In fact, its the opposite.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3507 on: April 13, 2021, 07:54:30 AM »

So we are never going to get out of this pandemic? We will not have open schools nor open businesses until the inevitable GOP sweep in even blue states in the 2022 midterms are we?? And wait for them to take office in January 2023 to force reopenings?

Is there any chance the FDA/CDC emergency meeting on Wednesday may allow for continued usage of Johnson and Johnson?
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3508 on: April 13, 2021, 08:02:11 AM »

Is there any chance the FDA/CDC emergency meeting on Wednesday may allow for continued usage of Johnson and Johnson?

I'm not sure, but I'm guessing they'll probably allow it again.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3509 on: April 13, 2021, 08:05:10 AM »

Why are there all of these fears that we're about to get plunged back into lockdown, simply because of the issues with Johnson and Johnson? We have two other vaccines out there, and we are on track to have the vast majority of the population immunized.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3510 on: April 13, 2021, 08:06:32 AM »

Why are there all of these fears that we're about to get plunged back into lockdown, simply because of the issues with Johnson and Johnson? We have two other vaccines out there, and we are on track to have the vast majority of the population immunized.

The chattering class wants lockdowns and mandatory masks forever - literally.
roxas11
United States

« Reply #3511 on: April 13, 2021, 08:06:53 AM »

So we are never going to get out of this pandemic? We will not have open schools nor open businesses until the inevitable GOP sweep in even blue states in the 2022 midterms are we?? And wait for them to take office in January 2023 to force reopenings?

Not even Im that pessimistic
I ultimately still believe that we are going to beat this virus in the end and still optimistic that we can still reopen a lot of schools and business by the end of the year
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3512 on: April 13, 2021, 08:06:56 AM »
« Edited: April 13, 2021, 08:10:19 AM by Horus »

The concern is this will increase vaccine hesitancy among the uninformed and ignorant. I'm not actually sure that it will but it's certainly possible.

I will agree with Jimmie that the newly found liberal support of online schooling is extremely disturbing. They are setting their children up for social failure.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3513 on: April 13, 2021, 08:07:55 AM »

Seek help.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3514 on: April 13, 2021, 08:10:43 AM »

While I've expressed my own concerns about when mask mandates and pandemic restrictions will finally be dropped, I don't think we'll be stuck in this mode of living eternally, and I think that such "doomerism" is unfounded and irrational.

The concern is this will increase vaccine hesitancy among the uninformed and ignorant. I'm not actually sure that it will but it's certainly possible.

I will agree with Jimmie that the newly found liberal support of online schooling is extremely disturbing.

No, I've read about that, but some of the posters on here are acting as if our entire society is about to crash down.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3515 on: April 13, 2021, 08:28:14 AM »

Is there actually a sizeable contingent of liberals supporting permanent online schooling? What would even be the reason for that? I thought many wanted it until the Fall or maybe until next year at the latest.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3516 on: April 13, 2021, 08:30:29 AM »

Is there actually a sizeable contingent of liberals supporting permanent online schooling? What would even be the reason for that? I thought many wanted it until the Fall or maybe until next year at the latest.

That is already far, far too late. Schools should be open NOW
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #3517 on: April 13, 2021, 08:31:10 AM »
« Edited: April 13, 2021, 08:35:40 AM by The Trump Virus »

I don't want permanent online school.  But I do think vaccination should be mandatary for kids and their entire families to be able to attend public schools.  I'm also open to holding back reopening to give everyone time to get vaccinated.

In addition, if a family won't get vaccinated it should be mandatary they enroll their child in private school AND face hefty, ongoing fines simply for not getting vaccinated.  A fine so hefty that they are, in a way, forced into vaccination.  Further, any private school not requiring vaccinations should likewise see hefty and ongoing fines.

We need to stop coddling these morons and start punishing them for being so stupid.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3518 on: April 13, 2021, 08:33:27 AM »

I was reading NYT comments on this issue just today and they were indistinguishable from a conservative mommy blog, minus the anti vaxx stuff. This is a very common view and they're ignoring the science.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3519 on: April 13, 2021, 08:35:06 AM »

I don't want permanent online school. But I do think vaccination should be mandatary for kids and their entire families to be able to attend public schools.  I'm also open to holding back reopening to give everyone time to get vaccinated.

In addition, if a family won't get vaccinated it should be mandatary they enroll their child in private school AND face hefty fines simply for not getting vaccinated.  A fine so hefty that they are, in a way, forced into vaccination.

if that was done in virginia.. the governorship would be completely lost. And the Republican would end up reopening schools anyway! Do Democrats really need to lose another state???
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #3520 on: April 13, 2021, 08:42:05 AM »

We're vaccinating 4 million people a day, what on earth are you rambling about?

Less than 10% of all vaccines administered are J&J if I understand it correctly.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3521 on: April 13, 2021, 08:44:06 AM »

No. It is basically only Teacher Unions, that are in the way for the re-opening of the most schools ASAP. Politicians should stop bow to their pressure.

Cancel the Teacher Unions! Defund them. Whatever it takes to save the kids.
roxas11
United States

« Reply #3522 on: April 13, 2021, 08:47:05 AM »

It's crazy to me that The risk of blood clots from birth control pills is 1 in 1,000 and it is considered a low-risk side effect. Yet Woman takes those pills every year and I don't see anybody going crazy over that

But when 6 out 7 million people gets blood clots from the Johnson and Johnson. That is apparently more than enough evidence for them to pause the Vaccine during a pandemic

I can't believe I'm actually agreeing with Ben Shapiro of all people on this
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #3523 on: April 13, 2021, 08:59:20 AM »

It's crazy to me that The risk of blood clots from birth control pills is 1 in 1,000 and it is considered a low-risk side effect. Yet Woman takes those pills every year and I don't see anybody going crazy over that

But when 6 out 7 million people gets blood clots from the Johnson and Johnson. That is apparently more than enough evidence for them to pause the Vaccine during a pandemic

Anti-vax people have been owned with FACTS and LOGIC  Sunglasses
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3524 on: April 13, 2021, 09:00:49 AM »

Anti-vax people have been owned with FACTS and LOGIC  Sunglasses

Now do you see why I have been crazy this whole time in regards to the pandemic?
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 138 139 140 [141] 142 143 144 145 146 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies