COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:06:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 535402 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2020, 05:15:55 PM »
« edited: August 04, 2020, 05:43:58 PM by lfromnj »

Great schools are too stupid to optimize computer programs to make passing times more dispersed between students or move teachers around instead using carts.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2020, 05:24:31 PM »

As discussed earlier, Cherokee County in suburban Atlanta started school yesterday.  And today:

Cherokee quarantines second-grade class after student tests positive for COVID-19
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2020, 05:29:25 PM »

As discussed earlier, Cherokee County in suburban Atlanta started school yesterday.  And today:

Cherokee quarantines second-grade class after student tests positive for COVID-19

Ridiculous.  Blame any spread from schools reopening on Trump and (in GA) Kemp.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2020, 05:43:04 PM »

Great schools are too stupid to optimize computer programs to make passing times more dispersed between students or move teachers around instead using carts.

Apparently they don’t teach much grammar either
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2020, 05:58:39 PM »
« Edited: August 04, 2020, 06:03:05 PM by Meclazine »

One of the real apparent learnings from this is you cannot trust people to regulate themself in a crisis.

Australia knocks on the doors of the homes of people isolating after they test positive to COVID-19.

Around 25-30% are not at home. They go back to work, at the gym, go shopping.

So that means that one third of people, once infected are not concerned about others getting infected. Once infected, their psychology flips to 'active infector'. Think about that carefully. Until you are infected, you cannot imagine thinking that way.

Now out of your two points, Government control in this pandemic is the only option. Removal of infected subjects from the population is a very very effective tool to stop community transmission.
Australia should transport all infected to the Gold Coast, and pay their salary while on their holiday. They can come back when they test negative.

Since everyone would be infected, there would be no harm in going to the gym, shopping, or even working remotely.

One thing is for sure Jim.

We cannot control people in our society, at all. They are sneaking through every checkpoint, breaking every policy, infecting others through their own selfishness, rationalising their absurd viewpoints, using their elevated Government positions to get exemptions, lying about their previous travel destinations. We would literally need a political autocracy with extreme authoritarian control in this situation like China if we want it to stop. But we are not that.

The psyche of the average punter in Australia makes for a perfect spreading host environment for this virus:

Send in the Clowns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Yu3SUlEhWA

We have an epidemic of Human Stupidity Virus taking over the country's response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

After years of experience, I am an expert in human stupidity. It has not been eradicated, it never will be, it is very predictable, so much so that you can predict the future (business planning) knowing it is a strong feature of human behaviour.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2020, 06:31:26 PM »

Students can be obliged to wear masks at all times from getting on school buses to leaving them.  Playing band instruments can be exceptions, but social distancing can be enforced for band and lunch.
Or perhaps face masks can be used by band players.

gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2020, 06:42:57 PM »

According to Worldometers, Spain is reporting almost 6,000 new cases today.  That would work out to about 40,000 cases in the US on a per capita basis, and they still seem to be doubling every week.  

Per capita death totals in Spain are still significantly higher than the US, despite the fact that they essentially stopped reporting deaths in mid-June.

So what exactly did that country do right again?

They’re European and so easy fodder for critics to hammer orange man and advocate for forever lockdowns
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2020, 06:53:06 PM »

I'm strongly pro-education. Having school back to normal is crucial for not only academic achievement but also social development. This holds true from kindergarten all the way through college.

Back in March, I would have canceled school. Damn right I would! But this can't go on forever.

America's children deserve nothing less than the very best from our schools.

Everything we do these days is going to be quite a challenge, but we'll be better off if we can rip off this Band-Aid.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2020, 07:02:19 PM »

I'm strongly pro-education. Having school back to normal is crucial for not only academic achievement but also social development. This holds true from kindergarten all the way through college.

Back in March, I would have canceled school. Damn right I would! But this can't go on forever.

America's children deserve nothing less than the very best from our schools.

Everything we do these days is going to be quite a challenge, but we'll be better off if we can rip off this Band-Aid.

It's pretty similar to March though in that there's widespread community transmission. Schooling is important, but there's no way it'll be safe with the situation being as it is currently. And the way to get case numbers down quickly enough to start reopening some stuff and not to have an agonising drawn-out economic & health disaster is to go for a hard lockdown.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2020, 07:06:04 PM »

It's pretty similar to March though in that there's widespread community transmission. Schooling is important, but there's no way it'll be safe with the situation being as it is currently. And the way to get case numbers down quickly enough to start reopening some stuff and not to have an agonising drawn-out economic & health disaster is to go for a hard lockdown.

America had a hard lockdown for 2 months. It didn't work.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2020, 07:06:59 PM »

You think that was a hard lockdown?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2020, 07:07:38 PM »

That was not a hard lockdown. That was 50 states doing 50 different things.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2020, 07:08:25 PM »

It was hard on me, since it gave me a pulmonary embolism.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2020, 07:10:46 PM »

You think that was a hard lockdown?

Bandit is an unapologetic and uncritical no-questions-asked supporter of acting like nothing is happening in the middle of the pandemic. There is no data or argument that you can show him that would convince him otherwise. The cost of keeping things under control and saving lives is not worth it in his view.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2020, 07:11:13 PM »

No it didn't. A few states like New York had hard lockdowns, while of course those started way too late and Cuomo made a huge mistake with care homes, that did stop widespread community transmission. States like Florida and Arizona went with soft lockdowns that didn't actually decrease their curves, and then opened up too early when the situation hadn't actually improved from when they went into lockdown.

European countries generally went for hard lockdowns, so their curves actually decreased rather than just plateauing.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2020, 07:11:22 PM »

I was actually glad to see the photo of the crowded high school in Georgia, which looked almost like any ordinary school year. I thought Georgia had one of the worse rates of COVID right now.

If Georgia can get this close to normal, most other places can.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2020, 07:13:01 PM »

So because it was personally hard on you we shouldn't do it? It's not all about you.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2020, 07:13:41 PM »

I was actually glad to see the photo of the crowded high school in Georgia, which looked almost like any ordinary school year. I thought Georgia had one of the worse rates of COVID right now.

Whole classrooms have already been quarantined because of infected students...on day one...
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2020, 07:25:15 PM »

And you think catching Covid will improve your nonexistent cardiovascular health?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2020, 07:27:56 PM »

Did you see the article I posted earlier that Cherokee County, the first district to open yesterday, has already had to send home a second-grade class and teacher to quarantine for 14 days because one of the students has tested positive?  

This is nothing more than an illusion of normality.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2020, 08:43:13 PM »

Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2020, 08:44:05 PM »

Do you think Spain had a hard lockdown?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2020, 08:58:26 PM »

I guess it's interesting to see how many students are wearing masks? But posting pictures of random students minding their business at school is kind of creepy.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2020, 09:04:23 PM »

I guess it's interesting to see how many students are wearing masks? But posting pictures of random students minding their business at school is kind of creepy.

Whatever

This is no expectation of privacy in public places.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2020, 09:29:16 PM »

Do you think Spain had a hard lockdown?

Spain did actually drive down their case curve pretty hard and relatively fast. No one policy is going to solve it forever, and it seems Spain made mistakes in recent weeks that caused their case numbers to rise (their case numbers are not more than double the numbers in the first spike, as has been seen in the US though).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies