COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:38:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 226 227 228 [229] 230 231 232 233 234 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 535513 times)
compucomp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5700 on: August 02, 2021, 04:01:15 PM »

Louisiana is a prime example of why you do not elect "moderate" Democrats.  Their "moderate" governor just passed a mask mandate.  Disgusting display of government overreach.

...and what's the problem with a mask mandate?

Are masks so expensive that they're taking a big chunk out of your paychecks?

No, they violate our freedoms.  It's no different than burqas or hijabs being mandated in Islamic nations.  If you think masks work, you are welcome to wear them.  They obviously don't work given how they literally did nothing to slow cases last year, but that's another story...

This is a complete and total lie.
roxas11
United States

« Reply #5701 on: August 02, 2021, 04:01:54 PM »

Louisiana is a prime example of why you do not elect "moderate" Democrats.  Their "moderate" governor just passed a mask mandate.  Disgusting display of government overreach.

Well, speaking as someone who is currently in Louisiana
things are really bad down here and it looks like it's getting worse by the day when it comes to covid

I don't blame our governor at all for doing what he feels he need to do in order to keep people safe nor do I believe that somehow he is no longer a moderate simply because he supported mask mandates in the middle of a worsening pandemic that is currently spiraling out control..
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #5702 on: August 02, 2021, 04:06:03 PM »

No, they violate our freedoms.  It's no different than burqas or hijabs being mandated in Islamic nations.  If you think masks work, you are welcome to wear them.  They obviously don't work given how they literally did nothing to slow cases last year, but that's another story...

Do you also tell the policeman that you don't wear a seatbelt because it violates your freedom?

The argument is not going to fly.

Seat belts actually work though.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5703 on: August 02, 2021, 04:10:44 PM »

Entities mandating inoculation for employees:

the federal government
state governments of California and New York
the city government of Denver
Google
Facebook
the National Football League
Walt Disney Corporation
Wal*Mart (headquarters, but not stores)
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5704 on: August 02, 2021, 04:10:47 PM »

No, they violate our freedoms.  It's no different than burqas or hijabs being mandated in Islamic nations.  If you think masks work, you are welcome to wear them.  They obviously don't work given how they literally did nothing to slow cases last year, but that's another story...

Do you also tell the policeman that you don't wear a seatbelt because it violates your freedom?

So do masks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNeYfUTA11s
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5705 on: August 02, 2021, 04:13:26 PM »

I have a confession to make

I vastly overestimated how many Americans have had covid

I assumed that maybe 30-45% of Americans had it by March 2021, and, combined with vaccines, we would be at 80-85% immunity by now.

It’s obvious seeing the case rates rise that we were never close to 45% infected
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5706 on: August 02, 2021, 04:17:08 PM »

Masks work when people wear them. The antivax people spreading covid, however, are not wearing them.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5707 on: August 02, 2021, 04:18:14 PM »

I mean, they actually are fairly expensive if you want to have a mask that really has a large effect, i.e. N-95 or better. Cloth masks that most people wear have pretty little effect. Surgical masks are a bit better. But even people who have those very very often wear them incorrectly.

One thing that is sort of surprising given all the mask policies that have been implemented all over the world is that, at least in the USA, there has never really been a public information campaign teaching people how to properly use masks so that they are more effective.

Then again, I guess we shouldn't be surprised, since our political leaders (and even e.g. Fauci)all insist in leading by example by doing things like taking off their masks when they are talking (when you are talking is the worst time to take off a mask, because when you are talking you are going to spew more droplets/aerosol). So wearing masks so as to make them most effective is probably not top priority.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5708 on: August 02, 2021, 04:25:40 PM »

I assumed that maybe 30-45% of Americans had it by March 2021, and, combined with vaccines, we would be at 80-85% immunity by now.

It’s obvious seeing the case rates rise that we were never close to 45% infected

You can also get re-infected. The same is true with other coronaviruses. Natural immunity wanes between half a year to 3 years or so for other coronaviruses, so it is not too surprising that should also be the case with COVID. The amount to which that is the case is a matter of ongoing research.

Natural immunity from previous infection certainly does help, but it is not going to do the trick forever (especially when new variants keep popping up).
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #5709 on: August 02, 2021, 04:37:12 PM »

I have a spreadsheet document where I tried to compute the current immunity for each state, based on estimated number of infections and vaccine uptake (recognizing there is some overlap). I mentioned this maybe a week ago, but after that, I found more accurate data for the number of infections.

The state with the highest immunity is Rhode Island (81.63%). The lowest is Hawaii (57.27%).
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #5710 on: August 02, 2021, 04:38:26 PM »

I have a spreadsheet document where I tried to compute the current immunity for each state, based on estimated number of infections and vaccine uptake (recognizing there is some overlap). I mentioned this maybe a week ago, but after that, I found more accurate date for the number of infections.

The state with the highest immunity is Rhode Island (81.63%). The lowest is Hawaii (57.27%).

Care to share a screenshot of that sheet or something?
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5711 on: August 02, 2021, 04:44:43 PM »
« Edited: August 03, 2021, 12:48:11 AM by GP270watch »

Just look at Brazil to see how hard herd immunity is.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #5712 on: August 02, 2021, 04:46:39 PM »

I have a spreadsheet document where I tried to compute the current immunity for each state, based on estimated number of infections and vaccine uptake (recognizing there is some overlap). I mentioned this maybe a week ago, but after that, I found more accurate date for the number of infections.

Care to share a screenshot of that sheet or something?

RI   81.63
NM   79.36
MA   78.93
NJ   78.84
CT   78.08
NY   77.41
AZ   76.53
DE   73.06
SD   72.77
CA   71.85
MD   70.64
DC   70.54
NV   70.17
VT   69.88
LA   69.75
IL   69.55
TX   69.54
CO   69.25
PR   68.70
PA   68.64
FL   68.62
IA   68.22
MS   68.12
ND   67.94
TN   67.88
ME   67.86
MI   67.74
KS   67.55
AL   67.40
OK   67.40
AR   67.21
MN   67.09
OH   66.62
WI   66.43
GA   66.32
IN   65.81
VA   65.72
NH   65.65
NE   65.37
KY   64.07
WA   64.06
SC   63.96
UT   62.95
WY   62.13
MT   61.80
MO   61.53
AK   61.32
NC   61.13
OR   61.08
WV   60.90
ID   57.51
HI   57.27
roxas11
United States

« Reply #5713 on: August 02, 2021, 04:49:02 PM »
« Edited: August 02, 2021, 04:53:34 PM by roxas11 »

When it comes to rather or not mask actually work here is a bit a of a personal story

5 months ago I rode with a some of my family to a grocery store
At the time I was the only one who was wearing a mask and to honest even I skeptical about rather or not theses silly mask would actually be able to protect people from getting the virus

A couple a days after that ride to the grocery store we had found out that 1 of my family members was diagnosed with covid and soon everbody who was in that car that night had also gotten it

except for me.....

After that I never questioned the effectiveness of mask ever again lol
mask may not be perfect, but I will be forever grateful that I just happened to be wearing 1 that fateful night....
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5714 on: August 02, 2021, 04:50:32 PM »

Until the last week or 2, it seemed the new outbreaks were confined to the states/counties with the lowest vaccination rates in the country.  Florida now has near national average rates of vaccination and probably had a near average rate of infection last year, and we are seeing that a meaningful Delta outbreak is still possible in that setting.   The big question is whether there will be another outbreak in the NE states?  If anywhere in the country already has herd immunity, it should be NYC or Boston.    
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5715 on: August 02, 2021, 04:54:11 PM »

No, they violate our freedoms.  It's no different than burqas or hijabs being mandated in Islamic nations.  If you think masks work, you are welcome to wear them.  They obviously don't work given how they literally did nothing to slow cases last year, but that's another story...

I'm reporting this as false information that could hurt/kill others.
Mods please delete.
I would really like to tell you what I think of you, but it would most easily be infracted.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5716 on: August 02, 2021, 05:01:29 PM »

Video: Man's last text: 'I should have gotten the damn vaccine.'

Click her to watch ... https://us.cnn.com/videos/health/2021/08/02/jessica-dupreez-coronavirus-covid-19-last-text-vaccine-hesitant-newday-vpx.cnn
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #5717 on: August 02, 2021, 05:41:44 PM »

Unless there is a dramatic rise in severe cases of covid among children, its not clear to me why vaccinated people should be doing much at all to try to avoid being infected.  For the vaccinated, covid seems less severe or deadly than the typical flu.  Obviously, just like the flu, you should stay home if you’re actually infected.  But beyond that, it’s not really something a healthy person should fear.
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #5718 on: August 02, 2021, 05:49:28 PM »

I'm reporting this as false information that could hurt/kill others.
Mods please delete.
I would really like to tell you what I think of you, but it would most easily be infracted.

If masks actually work, you can just go and wear a mask?  It's not mask wearing I have a problem with, just people forcing their stupid "scientific" (religious) beliefs down other peoples throats and mandating it like it's actually going to help at all.  After 18 months we adults can make our own informed decisions thanks!
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5719 on: August 02, 2021, 05:50:42 PM »

If masks actually work, you can just go and wear a mask?  It's not mask wearing I have a problem with, just people forcing their stupid "scientific" (religious) beliefs down other peoples throats and mandating it like it's actually going to help at all.  After 18 months we adults can make our own informed decisions thanks!

Ok don't wear your mask then if you don't want to. You're not in LA, so.
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #5720 on: August 02, 2021, 05:55:36 PM »

If masks actually work, you can just go and wear a mask?  It's not mask wearing I have a problem with, just people forcing their stupid "scientific" (religious) beliefs down other peoples throats and mandating it like it's actually going to help at all.  After 18 months we adults can make our own informed decisions thanks!

That's my point.  There shouldn't be any mandates forcing people what to do at this stage.  We know the facts and what's going on, our health should be our own personal decision.  I don't believe masks ever slowed or prevented the spread of COVID because cases soared in places that mandated them just like they did elsewhere.  Mainstream media won't say it, but I just did.  You can look at the stats on Google and judge for yourselves.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5721 on: August 02, 2021, 06:01:59 PM »

That's my point.  There shouldn't be any mandates forcing people what to do at this stage.  We know the facts and what's going on, our health should be our own personal decision.  I don't believe masks ever slowed or prevented the spread of COVID because cases soared in places that mandated them just like they did elsewhere.  Mainstream media won't say it, but I just did.  You can look at the stats on Google and judge for yourselves.

I'm confused though, particularly with your comment about seat belts working. So were mask mandates ok before then? If you did think they worked, would you be OK now with the LA mandate?
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #5722 on: August 02, 2021, 06:10:17 PM »

I'm confused though, particularly with your comment about seat belts working. So were mask mandates ok before then? If you did think they worked, would you be OK now with the LA mandate?

Seat belts actually reduce the risk of death and serious injury, and they are not a major inconvenience, so having it as a law makes sense.  Mask mandates are much more intrusive, so they are not ok, especially when their effectiveness is so hard to prove. 
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #5723 on: August 02, 2021, 06:14:24 PM »

Under this logic, should we mandate vaccines?
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #5724 on: August 02, 2021, 06:17:01 PM »

"This Democratic governor is terrible specifically because he's doing too much to try to save the lives of people in his majority-Republican state" is a hell of a weird argument for a Republican to be making, but at this point I'm no longer surprised.
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 226 227 228 [229] 230 231 232 233 234 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies