COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:54:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 219 220 221 [222] 223 224 225 226 227 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 535338 times)
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5525 on: July 29, 2021, 06:27:54 PM »

Can anyone explain how badly (or not) I need to worry about Delta right now, being in north Georgia?

I'm fully vaccinated (Moderna, in January and again in February).  But my anxiety level has risen considerably over the last week or so.

Once I was vaccinated, I didn't worry about any of it, even though the case count around here was much higher then.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5526 on: July 29, 2021, 06:38:23 PM »

Can anyone explain how badly (or not) I need to worry about Delta right now, being in north Georgia?

I'm fully vaccinated (Moderna, in January and again in February).  But my anxiety level has risen considerably over the last week or so.

I wouldn't worry much about it unless you're immunocompromised or have other high risk factors.  Being fully vaccinated, you're much less likely to get it even if you're exposed; and even if you do get it, it's likely to be only a mild case (no worse than a bad cold).  Note that I didn't say it's *impossible* for you to get it, or to get a severe case; but the risk is quite low for the fully vaccinated, and it's one that I personally consider acceptable.  

We're in the same geographic area and I've been going maskless since I was fully vaccinated, and I'm probably higher risk than you if only because of my age.  I only wear a mask in places where it's still requested or required (and I have absolutely no problem doing so in such places).  If I were to go somewhere among tightly packed crowds, which I don't generally do, then I'd consider wearing one even if it wasn't required.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5527 on: July 29, 2021, 06:41:52 PM »

Good lord. Some of you have absolutely lost your minds.
compucomp

« Reply #5528 on: July 29, 2021, 06:46:48 PM »

I'm fully vaccinated (Moderna, in January and again in February).  But my anxiety level has risen considerably over the last week or so.

If severe infection/hospitalization is what you're concerned with, then you're probably still fine, although the chance of it has increased a bit from "may not even be worth thinking about" to "very unlikely but probably worth at least considering".

If you'd like to avoid infection entirely, though, then it's probably time to consider changing your behavior to mask up indoors and avoid risky activities like dining indoors or attending unmasked gatherings. Delta is both much more contagious and has shown greater capability of causing breakthrough infections than prior variants. Also keep in mind that being bedridden for a week with a fever and feeling like complete trash, losing sense of smell and taste, and possibly suffering long term effects is still a "mild" infection if it didn't involve shortness of breath or a hospital trip.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5529 on: July 29, 2021, 07:15:23 PM »

If severe infection/hospitalization is what you're concerned with, then you're probably still fine, although the chance of it has increased a bit from "may not even be worth thinking about" to "very unlikely but probably worth at least considering".

If you'd like to avoid infection entirely, though, then it's probably time to consider changing your behavior to mask up indoors and avoid risky activities like dining indoors or attending unmasked gatherings. Delta is both much more contagious and has shown greater capability of causing breakthrough infections than prior variants. Also keep in mind that being bedridden for a week with a fever and feeling like complete trash, losing sense of smell and taste, and possibly suffering long term effects is still a "mild" infection if it didn't involve shortness of breath or a hospital trip.

Reported for outright misinformation
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5530 on: July 29, 2021, 07:17:44 PM »

I'm fully vaccinated (Moderna, in January and again in February).  But my anxiety level has risen considerably over the last week or so.

I would say the risk is low, but depending on how bad the anxiety level is it wouldn't hurt to at least keep one with you if nothing else as a stopgap against intrusive worry, as is my case.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5531 on: July 29, 2021, 07:21:05 PM »

More video from nurses and patients in hospitals.
The video attached to the article, has a nurse telling us that severe hospital patients are in denial about their diagnosis of having Covid, and tell hospital personnel that they are lying to them about their sickness.
WTF is that!

Click here to watch ... https://us.cnn.com/2021/07/29/health/louisiana-covid-19-hotspot/index.html
compucomp

« Reply #5532 on: July 29, 2021, 07:28:29 PM »

You're full of it. I'm reporting your post right back. Read 'em and weep:

Mild Illness: Individuals who have any of the various signs and symptoms of COVID-19 (e.g., fever, cough, sore throat, malaise, headache, muscle pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of taste and smell) but who do not have shortness of breath, dyspnea, or abnormal chest imaging.

Moderate Illness: Individuals who show evidence of lower respiratory disease during clinical assessment or imaging and who have an oxygen saturation (SpO2) ≥94% on room air at sea level.

Severe Illness: Individuals who have SpO2 <94% on room air at sea level, a ratio of arterial partial pressure of oxygen to fraction of inspired oxygen (PaO2/FiO2) <300 mm Hg, respiratory frequency >30 breaths/min, or lung infiltrates >50%.

Critical Illness: Individuals who have respiratory failure, septic shock, and/or multiple organ dysfunction.  

https://www.covid19treatmentguidelines.nih.gov/overview/clinical-spectrum/
roxas11
United States

« Reply #5533 on: July 29, 2021, 08:36:40 PM »
« Edited: July 29, 2021, 08:42:29 PM by roxas11 »

If numbers spike (still an if - look at what happened to Delta surges in London and India), it is indeed a massive failure by the Biden administration.

It was pretty clear to most back in the Spring that the solution that made the most sense would be a system that would allow you to identify vaccination status. This way, private and public entities could require vaccination for non-essential activities like going to restaurants, sporting events, etc. I remember people laminating their vaccine cards in anticipation of something like this.

For some reason, the administration decided not to go this route. When they abandoned the idea, I assumed that they knew something I didn't. I'm starting to question that assumption at this point.

Even more mind-boggling, governors and mayors in cities and states like mine decided to follow the administration and abandon the idea despite being progressive areas that would be unlikely to see much resistance to the idea.

Im sorry but i can not agree with you on this at all

If numbers spike that is not a failure of Biden.......
That is a failure of unvaccinated Americans who refused to take the Vaccine and I believe that is how most Americans will see it if the numbers do end up going up. Heck in 2020 the American people almost reelected trump despite his many real failures when it came to covid so I don't think most will blame Biden at all for a big spike in covid caeses

It would be one thing if Biden himself had actually failed when it came to Vaccine distribution because that is something that he and the white house are responsible for But in this case Biden succeeded in making sure every American can get a vaccine if they want to. It is not his failure nor is it his fault that many Americans choose not to get vaccinated.

compucomp

« Reply #5534 on: July 29, 2021, 08:42:15 PM »
« Edited: July 29, 2021, 08:45:55 PM by compucomp »

Now we know why the CDC changed their guidance; they analyzed an outbreak in Cape Cod and realized that it spread among a largely vaccinated population.

The bubble has burst. The party is over. The blind adherence to the idea that the "vaccine makes you and the community safe from COVID" must end. Clearly in the face of the Delta variant, the vaccine alone is not enough and we need mitigation measures. Given that masks are effective at slowing down the spread and cost nothing, it is utter folly at this point to not institute mask mandates.

But within weeks, health officials seemed to be on to something much bigger. The outbreak quickly grew to the hundreds and most of them appeared to be vaccinated.

As of Thursday, 882 people were tied to the Provincetown outbreak. Among those living in Massachusetts, 74% of them were fully immunized, yet officials said the vast majority were also reporting symptoms. Seven people were reported hospitalized.

The initial findings of the investigation led by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health, in conjunction with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, seemed to have huge implications.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/cdc-mask-decision-stunning-findings-cape-cod-beach/story?id=79148102

soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #5535 on: July 29, 2021, 09:08:02 PM »

The bubble has burst. The party is over. The blind adherence to the idea that the "vaccine makes you and the community safe from COVID" must end. Clearly in the face of the Delta variant, the vaccine alone is not enough and we need mitigation measures. Given that masks are effective at slowing down the spread and cost nothing, it is utter folly at this point to not institute mask mandates.

Even if this is true (and, like Dr. Gandhi I’m still skeptical that evidence of COVID in the nose on a PCR test is an “infection”), why are you so gleeful about it? This is the epitome of scold liberalism, and it’s really gross.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5536 on: July 29, 2021, 09:36:22 PM »
« Edited: July 29, 2021, 09:45:53 PM by YE »

You're full of it. I'm reporting your post right back. Read 'em and weep:

Mild Illness: Individuals who have any of the various signs and symptoms of COVID-19 (e.g., fever, cough, sore throat, malaise, headache, muscle pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of taste and smell) but who do not have shortness of breath, dyspnea, or abnormal chest imaging.

Moderate Illness: Individuals who show evidence of lower respiratory disease during clinical assessment or imaging and who have an oxygen saturation (SpO2) ≥94% on room air at sea level.

Severe Illness: Individuals who have SpO2 <94% on room air at sea level, a ratio of arterial partial pressure of oxygen to fraction of inspired oxygen (PaO2/FiO2) <300 mm Hg, respiratory frequency >30 breaths/min, or lung infiltrates >50%.

Critical Illness: Individuals who have respiratory failure, septic shock, and/or multiple organ dysfunction.  

https://www.covid19treatmentguidelines.nih.gov/overview/clinical-spectrum/

Zero vaccinated people have shown up at long covid clinics, so again your posts are nothing short of scaremongering and vaccine denialism.

I'm spitting straight facts, always sourced, and you seem to be unable to accept them, relying instead on outdated information or outright lies. Mighty Trumpist of you. How many red hats do you have in your closet? Do you think Biden won the 2020 election fairly?

Quote removed by moderator.

Quote removed by moderator - keep this on topic.

You have repeatedly characterized literally everything short of hospitalization as mild, which is simply false. You also notably left out that mild does not include shortness of breath, contrary to what you have repeatedly claimed, based on your own source:

Mild Illness
Patients with mild illness may exhibit a variety of signs and symptoms (e.g., fever, cough, sore throat, malaise, headache, muscle pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of taste and smell). They do not have shortness of breath, dyspnea on exertion, or abnormal imaging.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5537 on: July 29, 2021, 09:42:04 PM »

CDC document warns Delta variant appears to spread as easily as chickenpox and cause more severe infection

The Delta coronavirus variant surging across the US appears to cause more severe illness and spreads as easily as chickenpox, according to an internal document from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The document -- a slide presentation -- outlines unpublished data that shows fully vaccinated people might spread the Delta variant at the same rate as unvaccinated people.

CNN has confirmed the authenticity of the document, which was first reported by The Washington Post.

A federal health official told the newspaper that the data, which is expected to be released Friday, played a large role in the CDC's updated mask guidance, which recommends that fully vaccinated people wear masks indoors when in areas with "substantial" and "high" transmission.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/29/politics/cdc-masks-covid-19-infections/index.html
compucomp

« Reply #5538 on: July 29, 2021, 09:43:38 PM »
« Edited: July 29, 2021, 09:47:14 PM by YE »

You have repeatedly characterized literally everything short of hospitalization as mild, which is simply false.

No, go read the NIH's definition and my post again, which you're literally quoting. As I said before, everything short of hospitalization or shortness of breath is a mild case; dyspnea is the same thing as shortness of breath and nobody would get "abnormal chest imaging" unless they were already hospitalized. All the typical unpleasant symptoms, fever, malaise, vomiting, loss of smell/taste, muscle aches, etc, all mild symptoms.

Just because you yell something loudly doesn't make it true. Quite Trumpist of you to think that it does.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #5539 on: July 29, 2021, 09:46:51 PM »

CDC document warns Delta variant appears to spread as easily as chickenpox and cause more severe infection

The fearmongering from these Keystone Kops never ends, does it?
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5540 on: July 29, 2021, 09:49:24 PM »

No, go read the NIH's definition and my post again, which you're literally quoting. As I said before, everything short of hospitalization or shortness of breath is a mild case; dyspnea is the same thing as shortness of breath and nobody would get "abnormal chest imaging" unless they were already hospitalized. All the typical unpleasant symptoms, fever, malaise, vomiting, loss of smell/taste, muscle aches, etc, all mild symptoms.

Just because you yell something loudly doesn't make it true. Quite Trumpist of you to think that it does.

By the way, the definition of a "mild" infection is one that doesn't require hospitalization. If you're bedridden for a week with a high fever, lose your sense of smell and taste, and have lingering symptoms like breathing issues, brain fog, and continue lack of smell and taste for months afterward, that was still a mild infection.

So in one post you claim lingering trouble breathing is mild, yet in another you claim that you've always said that everything short of that is mild. A high grade fever is also not mild, as that alone often warrants a visit to the emergency room.

Contradicting yourself in a public place in a way that's easy to prove is very Trumpist.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #5541 on: July 29, 2021, 09:49:34 PM »

…what?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5542 on: July 29, 2021, 09:50:31 PM »

I don't see any reason to doubt the CDC's findings. It's their job to figure this stuff out. At this point it's up to you what you want to do with the information. Don't want to wear the mask? Then don't.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5543 on: July 29, 2021, 09:51:00 PM »
« Edited: July 29, 2021, 09:59:23 PM by YE »

Even if the vaccinated can spread the virus as easily as the unvaccinated, which I doubt, only the unvaccinated are going to get seriously ill. We should not base our policies around protecting them as they have had ample opportunity to protect themselves free of charge and refused to do so every time.
compucomp

« Reply #5544 on: July 29, 2021, 09:53:08 PM »

By the way, the definition of a "mild" infection is one that doesn't require hospitalization. If you're bedridden for a week with a high fever, lose your sense of smell and taste, and have lingering symptoms like breathing issues, brain fog, and continue lack of smell and taste for months afterward, that was still a mild infection.

So in one post you claim lingering trouble breathing is mild, yet in another you claim that you've always said that everything short of that is mild. A high grade fever is also not mild, as that alone often warrants a visit to the emergency room.

Contradicting yourself in a public place in a way that's easy to prove is very Trumpist.

I acknowledged the first definition was incorrect, you conveniently didn't quote that post. In every post subsequent to it, I used the correct definition. But of course you had to make yourself look like a Trumpist fool, not bother to read what I post, and quoting repeatedly when I use the correct definition.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5545 on: July 29, 2021, 09:55:35 PM »

I acknowledged the first definition was incorrect, you conveniently didn't quote that post. In every post subsequent to it, I used the correct definition. But of course you had to make yourself look like a Trumpist fool, not bother to read what I post, and quoting repeatedly when I use the correct definition.

Your definition keeps changing, as if you hope people will forget. And calling everyone Trumpist because they won't bow to your harassment campaign is the best way to make sure nobody takes you as anything but a troll who is hellbent on derailing the thread.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #5546 on: July 29, 2021, 09:58:28 PM »

Now we know why the CDC changed their guidance; they analyzed an outbreak in Cape Cod and realized that it spread among a largely vaccinated population.

But within weeks, health officials seemed to be on to something much bigger. The outbreak quickly grew to the hundreds and most of them appeared to be vaccinated.

As of Thursday, 882 people were tied to the Provincetown outbreak. Among those living in Massachusetts, 74% of them were fully immunized, yet officials said the vast majority were also reporting symptoms. Seven people were reported hospitalized.

The initial findings of the investigation led by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health, in conjunction with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, seemed to have huge implications.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/cdc-mask-decision-stunning-findings-cape-cod-beach/story?id=79148102

Many posters have acknowledged that it is possible to get the coronavirus while vaccinated. The odds of it being more than the flu, however, are relatively small. At this point, the major upside of wearing masks is to prevent vaccinated people from spreading to unvaccinated people to whatever extent that is possible.

This case feels like an ultra super spreader where the viral load is so strong it gets to vaccinated people.  Anyone (and this isn't explicitly directed at you specficially to be clear) who uses this as a reason not to trust vaccines has made an idiotic conclusion.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #5547 on: July 29, 2021, 10:02:17 PM »

…what?

The R of chickenpox is around 10 IIRC someone correct me if I'm wrong. I've seen nothing to suggest the R of the delta variant is that high so that quote referenced above does appear to be an exaggeration.
compucomp

« Reply #5548 on: July 29, 2021, 10:07:28 PM »

Your definition keeps changing, as if you hope people will forget. And calling everyone Trumpist because they won't bow to your harassment campaign is the best way to make sure nobody takes you as anything but a troll who is hellbent on derailing the thread.

I changed the definition because the first one I used was wrong. But you couldn't even be bothered to read and then quoted the right definition and called it misinformation and then got punked by a simple link. It's not my fault I got to dunk in your face.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5549 on: July 29, 2021, 10:10:08 PM »

I changed the definition because the first one I used was wrong. But you couldn't even be bothered to read and then quoted the right definition and called it misinformation and then got punked by a simple link. It's not my fault I got to dunk in your face.

So you're only interested in dunking and I'm arguing with an immature troll, got it.
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 219 220 221 [222] 223 224 225 226 227 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies