COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:23:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 441 442 443 444 445 [446] 447 448 449 450 451 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 535231 times)
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11125 on: August 31, 2022, 06:00:29 PM »

I had an at home and PCR test that confirmed: I do not have covid.

But I have an extremely awful cold.  Much worse than my experience with covid.

Been bed ridden all day.

covid... lmao..

Congratulations that your covid wasn't bad? I'm sure all the people who've died from covid would be clapping for you right now if their cases had been as mild as yours.

I am suffering in bed right now. It should be all the more message why its important for people to get vaccinated.... a cold/allergies worse than covid... for me.. and it happens to MANY people. I am proving the message YOU want to spread. Get vaccinated.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11126 on: September 01, 2022, 01:30:43 AM »

The growing evidence that Covid-19 is leaving people sicker

A Financial Times analysis of data from the UK’s NHS, one of the world’s richest health data sets, showed significant rises in deaths from heart disease since the start of the pandemic in all but the very oldest age groups. In the 40-64 age group, heart attack deaths increased 15 per cent in 2021 compared with 2019.

In February, meanwhile, an analysis of more than 150,000 records from the national healthcare databases at the US Department of Veterans Affairs suggested that even some people who had not been seriously ill with Covid had an increased risk of cardiovascular problems for at least a year afterwards.

Researchers found that rates of many conditions, such as heart failure and stroke, were substantially higher in people who had recovered from Covid than in similar people who had not been infected. A separate analysis of VA data, published in March, suggested that in the “post-acute phase” of the disease, people with Covid “exhibit increased risk and burden of diabetes”.

Okay,  do you have a solution for this that is logistical ?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11127 on: September 01, 2022, 06:50:58 PM »

CDC signs off on updated Covid-19 boosters

Dr. Rochelle Walensky, director of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, signed off Thursday on the recommendation of the agency's independent vaccine advisers in favor of updated Covid-19 vaccine boosters from Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna.

The CDC's Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices voted 13 to 1 earlier in the day to recommend updated mRNA boosters for Americans this fall.

Walensky's decision means the shots could be available by Friday, according to pharmaceutical manufacturers, which began shipping the new doses after the US Food and Drug Administration authorized them Wednesday.

"The updated COVID-19 boosters are formulated to better protect against the most recently circulating COVID-19 variant," Walensky said in a statement. "They can help restore protection that has waned since previous vaccination and were designed to provide broader protection against newer variants. This recommendation followed a comprehensive scientific evaluation and robust scientific discussion. If you are eligible, there is no bad time to get your COVID-19 booster and I strongly encourage you to receive it."

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/01/health/acip-cdc-updated-covid-booster/index.html
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #11128 on: September 02, 2022, 01:27:29 PM »

The Lancet: "COVID-19 mortality and excess mortality among working-age residents in California, USA, by occupational sector: a longitudinal cohort analysis of mortality surveillance data"

Workers in essential sectors have continued to bear the brunt of high COVID-19 and excess mortality throughout the pandemic, particularly in the agriculture, emergency, manufacturing, facilities, and transportation or logistics sectors. This high death toll has continued during periods of vaccine availability and the delta surge. In an ongoing pandemic without widespread vaccine coverage and with anticipated threats of new variants, the USA must actively adopt policies to more adequately protect workers in essential sectors.

jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11129 on: September 02, 2022, 04:39:15 PM »

The Lancet: "COVID-19 mortality and excess mortality among working-age residents in California, USA, by occupational sector: a longitudinal cohort analysis of mortality surveillance data"

Workers in essential sectors have continued to bear the brunt of high COVID-19 and excess mortality throughout the pandemic, particularly in the agriculture, emergency, manufacturing, facilities, and transportation or logistics sectors. This high death toll has continued during periods of vaccine availability and the delta surge. In an ongoing pandemic without widespread vaccine coverage and with anticipated threats of new variants, the USA must actively adopt policies to more adequately protect workers in essential sectors.

and notice the workers in essential sectors are some of the least likely people to  expect the world to shut down over covid.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #11130 on: September 02, 2022, 05:52:23 PM »

A Financial Times analysis of data from the UK’s NHS, one of the world’s richest health data sets, showed significant rises in deaths from heart disease since the start of the pandemic in all but the very oldest age groups. In the 40-64 age group, heart attack deaths increased 15 per cent in 2021 compared with 2019.

In February, meanwhile, an analysis of more than 150,000 records from the national healthcare databases at the US Department of Veterans Affairs suggested that even some people who had not been seriously ill with Covid had an increased risk of cardiovascular problems for at least a year afterwards.

Researchers found that rates of many conditions, such as heart failure and stroke, were substantially higher in people who had recovered from Covid than in similar people who had not been infected. A separate analysis of VA data, published in March, suggested that in the “post-acute phase” of the disease, people with Covid “exhibit increased risk and burden of diabetes”.

I would say boosters, development of a universal COVID vaccine that stops transmission, and focused protection for the most at risk. Masking I am not crazy about anymore and post early 2021 lockdowns were obsolete.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #11131 on: September 03, 2022, 01:36:03 PM »

and notice the workers in essential sectors are some of the least likely people to  expect the world to shut down over covid.

Yeah, but a lot of them are probably also the least likely to get vaccinated and boosted lol.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11132 on: September 06, 2022, 11:13:12 PM »

White House: Covid-19 boosters will become annual shot, just like the flu vaccine
The administration is making a policy change it has signaled for months.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #11133 on: September 11, 2022, 05:38:32 PM »

I would say boosters, development of a universal COVID vaccine that stops transmission, and focused protection for the most at risk. Masking I am not crazy about anymore and post early 2021 lockdowns were obsolete.

Indoor ventilation infrastructure is a big one. Respiratory droplets and aerosols are the primary route of transmission, so clearing those via high-quality filtration systems will be important in hospital environments - and public transit/retail hubs, if we’re serious about broader containment.

Masks need a decent filter (N95 level) to really help, so they can be used in addition, but aren’t financially feasible for many unless their employer is providing them. And of course, in this political environment, they’re a very hard sell, and thus should probably only be proposed in the event of a new, particularly virulent variant of concern, for which we don’t have appropriate booster jabs. Speaking of…

Multivalent vaccines, mixing original strain DNA with Omicron, have a chance to help, but we don’t have anywhere near the same surveillance we have with influenza to create annual boosters yet. Going to need a lot more epidemiological infrastructure there.

We’ll also need more systematic reviews on Long COVID (causes, effects and prognosis) before we can draw firm conclusions about the best medium-long term strategies.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #11134 on: September 12, 2022, 07:50:20 AM »

https://news.yahoo.com/house-returns-washington-facing-prospect-100017330.html

A shutdown is looming on 10/1
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #11135 on: September 17, 2022, 08:29:11 AM »

Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #11136 on: September 17, 2022, 09:08:11 AM »

Gregg Gonsalves is just flat-out lying about this. A week ago, it was about 335, and it will probably turn out that it's been in the low 300s in the week since. It hasn't been above 450 since April.
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #11137 on: September 18, 2022, 08:12:43 PM »

President Biden told CBS News's Scott Pelley on 60 Minutes tonight that the COVID pandemic is "over", just over two and a half years after the WHO declared it a pandemic. 

Ted Johnson at Deadline:
President Joe Biden said in a 60 Minutes interview on Sunday that the Covid pandemic “is over,” one of a series of newsworthy items he said during a sit down with Scott Pelley.

“The pandemic is over,” Biden said in a portion of the segment at the Detroit Auto Show last week. “We still have a problem with COVID. We’re still doing a lotta work on it …but the pandemic is over. If you notice, no one’s wearing masks. Everybody seems to be in pretty good shape. And so I think it’s changing. And I think this is a perfect example of it.”

Public health agencies still treat Covid as health emergencies, but the head of the World Health Organization was optimistic in his remarks last week. He said that “we’re not there yet, but the end is in sight.”
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11138 on: September 18, 2022, 08:13:22 PM »

He's completely right.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11139 on: September 18, 2022, 08:30:54 PM »

Gregg Gonsalves is just flat-out lying about this. A week ago, it was about 335, and it will probably turn out that it's been in the low 300s in the week since. It hasn't been above 450 since April.

Why do you lie and make the most easily disprovable comments? Your lying since covid started has bordered on pathological

Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11140 on: September 18, 2022, 08:35:21 PM »

Why do you lie and make the most easily disprovable comments? Your lying since covid started has bordered on pathological

Because what I said is the truth.

Worldometer says the average as of a week ago is only 349, down from 410 a week earlier.
new_patomic

« Reply #11141 on: September 18, 2022, 08:36:42 PM »

President Biden told CBS News's Scott Pelley on 60 Minutes tonight that the COVID pandemic is "over", just over two and a half years after the WHO declared it a pandemic. 

Ted Johnson at Deadline:
President Joe Biden said in a 60 Minutes interview on Sunday that the Covid pandemic “is over,” one of a series of newsworthy items he said during a sit down with Scott Pelley.

“The pandemic is over,” Biden said in a portion of the segment at the Detroit Auto Show last week. “We still have a problem with COVID. We’re still doing a lotta work on it …but the pandemic is over. If you notice, no one’s wearing masks. Everybody seems to be in pretty good shape. And so I think it’s changing. And I think this is a perfect example of it.”

Public health agencies still treat Covid as health emergencies, but the head of the World Health Organization was optimistic in his remarks last week. He said that “we’re not there yet, but the end is in sight.”

There's gonna be so many resist lib and 'MD' accounts screeching about this on Twitter.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11142 on: September 18, 2022, 09:40:07 PM »

Ted Johnson at Deadline:

There's gonna be so many resist lib and 'MD' accounts screeching about this on Twitter.

Imagine the coping from compucomp (about this and the recent developments in Ukraine) if he was still posting on here...
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11143 on: September 18, 2022, 10:03:54 PM »

Yes he is absolutely right. Pretty good timing for the elections as well! w00t!

But I bet the pandemic returns on Nov 9th to the Democrats.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #11144 on: September 18, 2022, 10:08:14 PM »

I will bet you any amount of money that Joe Biden does not implement any covid-related restrictions after the midterm elections.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11145 on: September 18, 2022, 10:14:15 PM »

I will bet you any amount of money that Joe Biden does not implement any covid-related restrictions after the midterm elections.

Biden will not of course.

I am afraid some Dem governors will try to implement mask mandates during the winter wave and teachers union will try to pull the same sh!t as last winter
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11146 on: September 18, 2022, 10:19:35 PM »

Biden himself won't, but certain governors, mayors, college administrators and school boards are a different story.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11147 on: September 18, 2022, 10:47:40 PM »

Because what I said is the truth.

Worldometer says the average as of a week ago is only 349, down from 410 a week earlier.

Worldometer is not using accurate numbers if there are higher numbers elsewhere. Most people (myself included) are ready to move on from the restrictions so it's like you're trying to convince yourself more than anything that the numbers are lower than they are, which is just insanity
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11148 on: September 18, 2022, 10:48:55 PM »

So now we're arguing with Worldometer?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #11149 on: September 19, 2022, 01:36:24 AM »

Biden himself won't, but certain governors, mayors, college administrators and school boards are a different story.

I would agree. I'm confident that we are on the other side of things, but I still don't entirely trust many of these authorities.
Pages: 1 ... 441 442 443 444 445 [446] 447 448 449 450 451 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies