Should illegal immigration be a huge issue to Minnesotans?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 11:53:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Should illegal immigration be a huge issue to Minnesotans?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should illegal immigration be a huge issue to Minnesotans?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 17

Author Topic: Should illegal immigration be a huge issue to Minnesotans?  (Read 1756 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 23, 2006, 10:24:05 AM »

And say why if you think so.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 10:32:31 AM »

Yes.  It's actually more easy to come into the US through Canada than through Mexico.  If a terrorist cell wants to enter the US and cause chaos, any of the Northern states should be concerned.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 10:35:43 AM »

Yes.  It's actually more easy to come into the US through Canada than through Mexico.  If a terrorist cell wants to enter the US and cause chaos, any of the Northern states should be concerned.

Yes, I'm scared of all those Canadian terrorists.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 10:39:46 AM »

Roll Eyes
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 10:40:35 AM »

I don't know of any terrorism in the US committed by Mexicans either, so it's an unrelated issue.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 10:49:53 AM »

To anyone saying yes by the way, Minnesotans clearly don't agree with you, as currently building new stadiums for the Twins, Vikings and Gophers is 100x a bigger issue than illegal immigration here.
agcatter
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 10:53:09 AM »

In less than a decade they'll be there draining your state government tax dollars.

Get ready.  Might want to start building some more prisons also.  You're gonna need em.
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 11:07:38 AM »

Yes. Can't tell you why. It's personal.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 07:33:34 PM »

Yes, it affects the economy of the entire country.
nlm
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2006, 07:21:50 AM »

That depends upon what you call huge.

Does it effect your federal tax dollars - yes.

Does having open boarders with Canada and Mexico mean our ability to control the entry of people into our country that would represent a risk to our country is only as good as Mexico and Canada's ability to control those same people from entering their country - yes.

DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2006, 09:31:39 AM »

I don't know of any terrorism in the US committed by Mexicans either, so it's an unrelated issue.

Roll Eyes You do realize that terrorists could take one look at our porous borders and decide to use them to enter the US...
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2006, 10:16:11 AM »

Yes, it affects the economy of the entire country.

^^^^^^
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2006, 11:29:42 AM »

Roll Eyes You do realize that terrorists could take one look at our porous borders and decide to use them to enter the US...

They'd have to get into Canada in the first place, which as it would be by flight would make it much more difficult than getting into the US (plus with whatever they use to carry out of their terrorist act)

For that matter I don't know of a single terrorist act in history that could've been prevented by border control. Border control wouldn't have stopped the 9/11 terrorists, or the London bombers, etc. Almost every terrorist act was committed by people who were in that country legally.

This is also not really related to illegal immigration, as about half of illegal immigrants don't sneak across the border, but rather come here legally and then refuse to leave after their time period they're allowed to stay expires.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2006, 11:37:16 AM »

Minnesota has an EXTREMELY generous welfare system as a result of the Ventura governorship. The Illegal immigrants flock there for three reasons.

1) The welfare system will take care of them better than it will in the border states

2) Geographically, it doesn't appear as though it would have a problem with illegal immigration. Thus they are less likely to be caught and rounded up there.

3) There is less anti-illegal alien unrest in Minnesota than there is in the border states.

Basically it's a safe place to be for these criminals. If I lived in Minnesota, I would be very concerned and encourage legislators to start cracking down.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2006, 11:41:10 AM »

For that matter I don't know of a single terrorist act in history that could've been prevented by border control.

Ahmed Ressam

How quickly the young forget. 
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2006, 11:49:30 AM »
« Edited: May 24, 2006, 11:53:33 AM by John Ford »

They'd have to get into Canada in the first place, which as it would be by flight would make it much more difficult than getting into the US (plus with whatever they use to carry out of their terrorist act)

For that matter I don't know of a single terrorist act in history that could've been prevented by border control. Border control wouldn't have stopped the 9/11 terrorists, or the London bombers, etc. Almost every terrorist act was committed by people who were in that country legally.

This is also not really related to illegal immigration, as about half of illegal immigrants don't sneak across the border, but rather come here legally and then refuse to leave after their time period they're allowed to stay expires.

The Millenium plot was launched out of Canada.  They perpetrators had no problem getting into Canada, where they built a large bomb undetected.

Theirplot was stopped by border guards as they tried to cross from British Columbia into Washington state.

This is why no one respects your opinion.  Read a book occaisionally, would ya?
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2006, 06:42:07 PM »

No.  Who would want to immigrate to Minnesota of all places?  It's cold and bland.  There is no major illegal immigration problem in that state.  Also, who would launch a terrorist attack on Minnesota?  Maybe get the Mall of America?  What else is there? Lakes?  I say no again.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2006, 07:09:05 PM »

Yes, to counteract all the hatefuls and xenophobes Wink
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2006, 08:31:50 PM »

The Millenium plot was launched out of Canada.  They perpetrators had no problem getting into Canada, where they built a large bomb undetected.

Theirplot was stopped by border guards as they tried to cross from British Columbia into Washington state.

This is why no one respects your opinion.  Read a book occaisionally, would ya?

As you said, they were stopped by border guards. This is not a terrorist plot aused by a failure in border security. Whatever the case, it is irrelevant to illegal immigration, because Canada is not the concern in that case. The question is should Minnesotans care about illegal immigrants, not terrorists coming in from Canada.

Minnesota has an EXTREMELY generous welfare system as a result of the Ventura governorship. The Illegal immigrants flock there for three reasons.

As a result of Ventura? Um, no. You mean in spite of. It was around long before him, where cuts came due to his idiotic tax cuts (similar to Bush's) and then further under Pawlenty.

That said, it's irrelevant because illegal immigrants can't get welfare (for that matter, I don't think even legal ones can)

As for the rest, if it were true, there'd be a flood of illegals coming. But there's not. And the people would care, but they do not, as the issue over building new sports stadiums is 100x more controversial.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies