Ted Kennedy introduced George McGovern at 1972 Democratic National Convention
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:02:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Ted Kennedy introduced George McGovern at 1972 Democratic National Convention
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ted Kennedy introduced George McGovern at 1972 Democratic National Convention  (Read 679 times)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 04, 2020, 05:09:52 PM »
« edited: October 04, 2020, 05:25:33 PM by Fuzzy Stands With Amy Coney Barrett »

I watched this live at age 15.  I was a political junkie then.  I was originally a Muskie supporter and I had hoped that Scoop Jackson would be the nominee, but I was all for McGovern as anyone was preferable to Nixon.

Note the time:  Well past 1 in the morning.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 05:37:02 PM »

Fascinating find. Thanks for posting this, Fuzzy.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2020, 05:42:07 PM »

Imagine if this speech were heard in prime time.  McGovern himself didn't finish up his speech until after 2 am.  Yes, I was up for it; I remember which TV I was watching in my home.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2020, 05:46:46 PM »

Imagine if this speech were heard in prime time.  McGovern himself didn't finish up his speech until after 2 am.  Yes, I was up for it; I remember which TV I was watching in my home.

Was this McGovern’s main speech of the convention? If so, why did they have the nominee speak so late?
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2020, 06:26:18 PM »

Was this McGovern’s main speech of the convention? If so, why did they have the nominee speak so late?

The Democratic VP nomination process was basically a total cluster. The McGovern campaign (after being rebuffed by Ted Kennedy), essentially offered the position to anybody and everybody before alighting upon Eagleton at the last minute. The latter wasn’t a particularly big name and was not popular with a large bloc of the delegates, who insisted on throwing other names into contention, making for an arduous balloting process. The upshot of this was that by the time Eagleton had it in the bag, the vast majority of the country had gone to bed.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2020, 06:51:22 PM »

They went on and on with the VP nominations.

There was Sen. Eagleton, he of electroshock treatment fame, who was McGovern's choice.  Eagleton also had a history of alcohol problems.  McGovern would never have chosen him if he had known then that it was Eagleton who actually coined the "Amnesty, Abortion and Acid" label that haunted McGovern in 1972.

Here were some of the other names placed in nomination:

1.  Former MA Gov. Endicott Peabody, who actually won the NH VICE-Presidential Primary (yes, NH had one in 1972, the only state that did).

2.  Texas State Legislator and failed Gubenatorial candidate Frances (Sissy) Farenthold, who was nominated by Gloria Steinem, and was a favorite of the very visible Feminist Left delegates at the 1972 convention.

3.  Gov. Jimmy Carter of GA, who, after leading the Anybody But McGovern movement (he nominated Scoop Jackson, but he flirted with George Wallace before lining up with Jackson) and stating that he would vote for McGovern but not actively campaign for him, called Scoop Jackson at 4 am and asked Jackson if he would call McGovern and try to get him to select Carter as his running mate.  (This episode, according to Jackson's biographer, Robert Kaufman, gave Jackson a feeling of revulsion toward the man that seconded his nomination and led McGovern to refer to Carter as "the biggest prick in politics".)

4.  Lt. Gov. Roberto Mondragon of NM, the first Hispanic candidate placed into nomination.  Mondragon was too young to be President (he was only 32 years old), hadn't been on the job for even half his term, and ended up being the Green Party's nominee for Governor of NM in 1994.

5.  Newspaper Publisher Hodding Carter III, a liberal pro-Civil Rights Southerner from MS.

6.  Former Gov. Terry Sanford of NC.  Sanford was on HHH's short list in 1968 but wasn't picked.  He had launched a candidacy early in 1972 to attempt to stop George Wallace but was crushed.

7.  Sen. Mike Gravel of AK.  As I was anti-war, he was my favorite.  He was running for exposure; he was the Senator who had read the Pentagon Papers into the Congressional Record and this made him a hero to the anti-war movement.  (Perhaps Gravel did this to atone for defeating Ernest Gruening in the 1968 Senatorial primary; Gruening was 1 of 2 Senators to vote against the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution.)

Here was the delegate voting for VP:

Thomas Eagleton – 1,742 (59.07%)
Frances Farenthold – 405 (13.73%)
Mike Gravel – 226 (7.66%)
Endicott Peabody – 108 (3.66%)
Clay Smothers – 74 (2.51%)
Birch Bayh – 62 (2.10%)
Peter W. Rodino – 57 (1.93%)
Jimmy Carter – 30 (1.02%)
Shirley Chisholm – 20 (0.68%)
Moon Landrieu – 19 (0.64%)
Edward T. Breathitt – 18 (0.61%)
Ted Kennedy – 15 (0.51%)
Fred R. Harris – 14 (0.48%)
Richard G. Hatcher – 11 (0.37%)
Harold Hughes – 10 (0.34%)
Joseph Montoya – 9 (0.31%)
William L. Guy – 8 (0.27%)
Adlai Stevenson III – 8 (0.27%)
Robert Bergland – 5 (0.17%)
Hodding Carter – 5 (0.17%)
Cιsar Chαvez – 5 (0.17%)
Wilbur Mills – 5 (0.17%)
Wendell Anderson – 4 (0.14%)
Stanley Arnold – 4 (0.14%)
Ron Dellums – 4 (0.14%)
John J. Houlihan – 4 (0.14%)
Roberto A. Mondragon – 4 (0.14%)
Reubin O'Donovan Askew – 3 (0.10%)
Herman Badillo – 3 (0.10%)
Eugene McCarthy – 3 (0.10%)
Claiborne Pell – 3 (0.10%)
Terry Sanford – 3 (0.10%)
Ramsey Clark – 2 (0.07%)
Richard J. Daley – 2 (0.07%)
John DeCarlo – 2 (0.07%)
Ernest Gruening – 2 (0.07%)
Roger Mudd – 2 (0.07%)
Edmund Muskie – 2 (0.07%)
Claude Pepper – 2 (0.07%)
Abraham A. Ribicoff – 2 (0.07%)
Hoyt Patrick Taylor, Jr. – 2 (0.07%)
Leonard F. Woodcock – 2 (0.07%)
Bruno Agnoli – 2 (0.07%)
Ernest Albright – 1 (0.03%)
William A. Barrett – 1 (0.03%)
Daniel Berrigan – 1 (0.03%)
Philip Berrigan – 1 (0.03%)
Julian Bond – 1 (0.03%)
Skipper Bowles – 1 (0.03%)
Archibald "Archie" Bunker (fictional character) – 1 (0.03%)
Phillip Burton – 1 (0.03%)
William Chappell – 1 (0.03%)
Lawton Chiles – 1 (0.03%)
Frank Church – 1 (0.03%)
Robert Drinan – 1 (0.03%)
Nick Galifianakis – 1 (0.03%)
John Z. Goodrich – 1 (0.03%)
Michael Griffin – 1 (0.03%)
Martha Griffiths – 1 (0.03%)
Charles Hamilton – 1 (0.03%)
Patricia Harris – 1 (0.03%)
Jim Hunt – 1 (0.03%)
Daniel Inouye – 1 (0.03%)
Henry M. Jackson – 1 (0.03%)
Robert Kariss – 1 (0.03%)
Allard K. Lowenstein – 1 (0.03%)
Mao Zedong – 1 (0.03%)
Eleanor McGovern – 1 (0.03%)
Martha Beall Mitchell – 1 (0.03%)
Ralph Nader – 1 (0.03%)
George Norcross Jr. – 1 (0.03%)
Jerry Rubin – 1 (0.03%)
Fred Seaman – 1 (0.03%)
Joe Smith – 1 (0.03%)
Benjamin Spock – 1 (0.03%)
Patrick Tavolacci – 1 (0.03%)
George Wallace – 1 (0.03%)

This crap is what made it take so long.  This took forever.  This, quite frankly, was the result of a significant number of young, immature, New Left delegates who were NOT vested in the overall welfare of the Democratic Party as a whole being allowed to do stupid things for fear of "disunity".  The cosmetics of the 1972 DNC, which seem tame today, appeared really radical to Middle America in 1972.

Who WASN'T nominated was interesting.

George Wallace wasn't nominated.  The Alabama delegation that night were, believe it or not, the adults in the room.  The leader of the delegation, while announcing that Alabama was opposed to the liberal platform approved by the McGovernite delegates, recognized that if Gov. Wallace had been the nominee he would have wanted the convention to ratify his choice and the delegation (under the control of Wallace) gave their entire delegation's votes to Eagleton.

Sargent Shriver wasn't placed in nomination.

John Lindsay, NYC Mayor wasn't nominated.  He may have chosen to put his name in as a "representative of big cities" but he was a man pretty much convinced his days in politics were over.

No member of the Cold War Hawkish wing placed their names in nomination.  No Sen. Gale McGee (D-WY).  No Sen. Lloyd Bentsen (D-TX).  Perhaps they viewed Jimmy Carter, who nominated Scoop Jackson, as their dog in that particular hunt.

No one seemed to care that they were driving McGovern out of prime time.  McGovern's speech was actually quite good, and MIGHT have caused at least some centrist Democrats to feel better about McGovern, but so few saw it, and the Eagleton pick turned out to be a complete disaster.  Think about it; McGovern's first appointment was a psychiatric case who hid it from McGovern and he would have been a heartbeat from the Presidency.  That's never good.  (One reason Eisenhower stuck with Nixon in 1952 was that he, unlike his cowardly advisers, recognized that he was not likely to win if his first, and most important, appointment was a man who was accepting monies for an illicit slush fund.)

I watched the balloting.  There was lots of enthusiasm for Farenthold, and those who watched the balloting remembered the name "Governor Jimmy Carter".  (Carter's role was noticed by many; Michael Barone stated in the 1974 Almanac of American Politics that Carter would leave office in 1975, but was not destined for anonymity.)  But it was a disaster, letting the convention drag out until after 2 am.  And people casting their votes for Mao Zedong or Archie Bunker gave prime time viewers the impression that the Democrats were not a serious party.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2020, 08:24:41 PM »
« Edited: October 04, 2020, 08:50:37 PM by The scissors of false economy »

Ah, yes, Endicott Peabody, the number one man for the number two job. I touched on him in a thread I did a couple years ago about the evolution of Western Massachusetts into a New Left bastion.

Fuzzy, a couple of questions about some of these personalities:

1. Frances Farenthold seems to have been Blake Farenthold's grandmother. Do you know anything more about the family? It seems like such a weird evolution for a political mini-dynasty to take.
2. Can you rephrase your remark about Eisenhower and Nixon? I'm not sure why sticking with Nixon was supposed to create the impression that Eisenhower wasn't trusting the wrong guy. Was the issue that replacing him would have invited more questions about Ike's judgment in picking him in the first place than giving him political cover would?
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2020, 09:44:25 PM »

Ah, yes, Endicott Peabody, the number one man for the number two job. I touched on him in a thread I did a couple years ago about the evolution of Western Massachusetts into a New Left bastion.

Fuzzy, a couple of questions about some of these personalities:

1. Frances Farenthold seems to have been Blake Farenthold's grandmother. Do you know anything more about the family? It seems like such a weird evolution for a political mini-dynasty to take.
2. Can you rephrase your remark about Eisenhower and Nixon? I'm not sure why sticking with Nixon was supposed to create the impression that Eisenhower wasn't trusting the wrong guy. Was the issue that replacing him would have invited more questions about Ike's judgment in picking him in the first place than giving him political cover would?

1.  Blake Farenthold is Sissy Farenthold's former step-grandson.  She is divorced from Blake's grandfather, George Farenthold, but she is still known pretty much by her former married name.

2.  Steven Ambrose, who wrote biographies on both Eisenhower and Nixon, said that Eisenhower got the word of the "Secret Nixon Fund" (a slush fund from rich donors that allegedly kept Nixon living in a style above his pay grade) while on the campaign trail.  Eisenhower's advisers were big about dropping Nixon, viewing it as the easy way out.  Eisenhower's initial response to the news, and to his advisers, was, essentially:  "Well, if Nixon has to be dropped from the ticket, there's no way we can win this thing!".  This was EISENHOWER'S assessment, and he was, quite frankly, more politically knowledgeable than his staff.  (Ambrose said of Eisenhower:  "The myth was that Eisenhower was naive about politics.  The truth was that he was a master of politics."  A big theme of Ambrose's bio of Eisenhower was the discrepancy between the Eisenhower myths and the Eisenhower realities, and he marveled as to how the myths took hold.)  It was EISENHOWER who believed that if his first pick of a person for a key slot was a bust it would reflect negatively on him.  It was Eisenhower's advisers (most notably former NY Gov. Tom Dewey) that wanted Eisenhower to replace Nixon. 

Eisenhower did not replace Nixon because he vetted him, knew about the fund, and was aware that the fund was legal and overblown by the media.  McGovern did not vet Eagleton; he was picked at the last minute, and he was picked after Sen. Abraham Ribicoff (D-CT) and Sen. Gaylord Nelson (D-WI) turned him down and allies of Ted Kennedy vetoed the selection of Boston Mayor Kevin White.  (Ted Kennedy could have had the VP nomination for the asking but he declined.) 

Was Eisenhower wrong in his assessment that he'd lose if he had to drop Nixon?  Possibly.  The GOP was not strong in 1952; it was clearly the minority party, and they nominated Eisenhower mainly for electability.  The issue was just how badly Eagleton was vetted.  Just imagine how bad it would have been if Eagleton stayed on the ticket and it got out that he was the source of the Amnesty, Abortion, and Acid line.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2020, 07:45:23 AM »

Is this why every VP is now decided by voice vote?
Wikipedia delenda est
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2020, 09:38:35 AM »

My dad was there! His dad/my grandpa knew someone in the party who got them free tickets, so they drove all the way down from Massachusetts to Miami. What he remembers most is how late it was that they brought out McGovern; as you note it was well past 1 in the morning.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2020, 04:49:50 AM »

There was Sen. Eagleton, he of electroshock treatment fame, who was McGovern's choice.  Eagleton also had a history of alcohol problems.  McGovern would never have chosen him if he had known then that it was Eagleton who actually coined the "Amnesty, Abortion and Acid" label that haunted McGovern in 1972.

1.  Former MA Gov. Endicott Peabody, who actually won the NH VICE-Presidential Primary (yes, NH had one in 1972, the only state that did).

2.  Texas State Legislator and failed Gubenatorial candidate Frances (Sissy) Farenthold, who was nominated by Gloria Steinem, and was a favorite of the very visible Feminist Left delegates at the 1972 convention.

3.  Gov. Jimmy Carter of GA, who, after leading the Anybody But McGovern movement (he nominated Scoop Jackson, but he flirted with George Wallace before lining up with Jackson) and stating that he would vote for McGovern but not actively campaign for him, called Scoop Jackson at 4 am and asked Jackson if he would call McGovern and try to get him to select Carter as his running mate.  (This episode, according to Jackson's biographer, Robert Kaufman, gave Jackson a feeling of revulsion toward the man that seconded his nomination and led McGovern to refer to Carter as "the biggest prick in politics".)

4.  Lt. Gov. Roberto Mondragon of NM, the first Hispanic candidate placed into nomination.  Mondragon was too young to be President (he was only 32 years old), hadn't been on the job for even half his term, and ended up being the Green Party's nominee for Governor of NM in 1994.

5.  Newspaper Publisher Hodding Carter III, a liberal pro-Civil Rights Southerner from MS.

6.  Former Gov. Terry Sanford of NC.  Sanford was on HHH's short list in 1968 but wasn't picked.  He had launched a candidacy early in 1972 to attempt to stop George Wallace but was crushed.

7.  Sen. Mike Gravel of AK.  As I was anti-war, he was my favorite.  He was running for exposure; he was the Senator who had read the Pentagon Papers into the Congressional Record and this made him a hero to the anti-war movement.  (Perhaps Gravel did this to atone for defeating Ernest Gruening in the 1968 Senatorial primary; Gruening was 1 of 2 Senators to vote against the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution.)

Birch Bayh – 62 (2.10%)
Ted Kennedy – 15 (0.51%)
Cιsar Chαvez – 5 (0.17%)
Wilbur Mills – 5 (0.17%)
Ron Dellums – 4 (0.14%)
Ramsey Clark – 2 (0.07%)
John DeCarlo – 2 (0.07%)
Roger Mudd – 2 (0.07%)
Bruno Agnoli – 2 (0.07%)
Julian Bond – 1 (0.03%)
Frank Church – 1 (0.03%)
Jim Hunt – 1 (0.03%)
Mao Zedong – 1 (0.03%)
Ralph Nader – 1 (0.03%)
Jerry Rubin – 1 (0.03%)
Fred Seaman – 1 (0.03%)
Joe Smith – 1 (0.03%)

This crap is what made it take so long.  This took forever.  This, quite frankly, was the result of a significant number of young, immature, New Left delegates who were NOT vested in the overall welfare of the Democratic Party as a whole being allowed to do stupid things for fear of "disunity".  The cosmetics of the 1972 DNC, which seem tame today, appeared really radical to Middle America in 1972.

George Wallace wasn't nominated.  The Alabama delegation that night were, believe it or not, the adults in the room.  The leader of the delegation, while announcing that Alabama was opposed to the liberal platform approved by the McGovernite delegates, recognized that if Gov. Wallace had been the nominee he would have wanted the convention to ratify his choice and the delegation (under the control of Wallace) gave their entire delegation's votes to Eagleton.

John Lindsay, NYC Mayor wasn't nominated.  He may have chosen to put his name in as a "representative of big cities" but he was a man pretty much convinced his days in politics were over.

No member of the Cold War Hawkish wing placed their names in nomination.  No Sen. Gale McGee (D-WY).  No Sen. Lloyd Bentsen (D-TX).  Perhaps they viewed Jimmy Carter, who nominated Scoop Jackson, as their dog in that particular hunt.

No one seemed to care that they were driving McGovern out of prime time.  McGovern's speech was actually quite good, and MIGHT have caused at least some centrist Democrats to feel better about McGovern, but so few saw it, and the Eagleton pick turned out to be a complete disaster.  Think about it; McGovern's first appointment was a psychiatric case who hid it from McGovern and he would have been a heartbeat from the Presidency.  That's never good.  (One reason Eisenhower stuck with Nixon in 1952 was that he, unlike his cowardly advisers, recognized that he was not likely to win if his first, and most important, appointment was a man who was accepting monies for an illicit slush fund.)

I watched the balloting.  There was lots of enthusiasm for Farenthold, and those who watched the balloting remembered the name "Governor Jimmy Carter".  (Carter's role was noticed by many; Michael Barone stated in the 1974 Almanac of American Politics that Carter would leave office in 1975, but was not destined for anonymity.)  But it was a disaster, letting the convention drag out until after 2 am.  And people casting their votes for Mao Zedong or Archie Bunker gave prime time viewers the impression that the Democrats were not a serious party.

Who were the delegates who nominated Archie Bunker and Mao Zedong?
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2020, 04:05:02 PM »

Birch Bayh – 62 (2.10%)
Ted Kennedy – 15 (0.51%)
Cιsar Chαvez – 5 (0.17%)
Wilbur Mills – 5 (0.17%)
Ron Dellums – 4 (0.14%)
Ramsey Clark – 2 (0.07%)
John DeCarlo – 2 (0.07%)
Roger Mudd – 2 (0.07%)
Bruno Agnoli – 2 (0.07%)
Julian Bond – 1 (0.03%)
Frank Church – 1 (0.03%)
Jim Hunt – 1 (0.03%)
Mao Zedong – 1 (0.03%)
Ralph Nader – 1 (0.03%)
Jerry Rubin – 1 (0.03%)
Fred Seaman – 1 (0.03%)
Joe Smith – 1 (0.03%)

Who were the delegates who nominated Archie Bunker and Mao Zedong?

Those two (2) were not nominated, but delegates voted for them and the votes were counted.  A number of the VP candidates that received votes did not have their names placed into nomination.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies