Has there ever been a worse week for a candidate in history?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:12:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Has there ever been a worse week for a candidate in history?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Has there ever been a worse week for a candidate in history?  (Read 2770 times)
Rand
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2020, 09:08:54 PM »

Hey everyone, don’t forget to come up for air once in awhile or you’ll drown in all the Trump supporters’ tears and sweat.
We Live in Black and White
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.81, S: -6.82

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2020, 09:19:05 PM »

The financial implosion of 2008, for McCain, is a fair contender as well, but this is just a nonstop horror week of about eight thousand different things pummeling Trump all at once. There have been bigger singular events, but I've never seen such an ungodly political shotgun blast in my life.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2020, 09:21:01 PM »

Trump needs to look strong again. I suggest a photo op in a tank.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2020, 09:50:59 PM »

Late October-Early November 1980 was a disaster for Jimmy Carter.  But this week may take the cake.

I'm now convinced that 2020 is a redux of 1980. As we move into October, it is looking increasingly likely that Biden will win by a margin comparable to that of Ronald Reagan's that year-and Trump's litany of disasters parallel those which engulfed Carter. His poor debate performance is similar to that of Carter's-Reagan's "Are you better off than you were four years ago?" was the death knell for the Carter campaign, and so will Trump's rambling prove to be for his.

This election is indeed looking to be a redux of 1980, and just as realigning and paradigm-shifting.  The current neoliberal Reagan era is coming to a close, just as the New Deal era was sputtering to an end in 1980.  I think we can safely dispose of the old adage that 'government is not the solution to our problems -it is the problem.'  People are looking to government like never before to solve our problems.  
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2020, 10:06:42 PM »

Late October-Early November 1980 was a disaster for Jimmy Carter.  But this week may take the cake.

I'm now convinced that 2020 is a redux of 1980. As we move into October, it is looking increasingly likely that Biden will win by a margin comparable to that of Ronald Reagan's that year-and Trump's litany of disasters parallel those which engulfed Carter. His poor debate performance is similar to that of Carter's-Reagan's "Are you better off than you were four years ago?" was the death knell for the Carter campaign, and so will Trump's rambling prove to be for his.

This election is indeed looking to be a redux of 1980, and just as realigning and paradigm-shifting.  The current neoliberal Reagan era is coming to a close, just as the New Deal era was sputtering to an end in 1980.  I think we can safely dispose of the old adage that 'government is not the solution to our problems -it is the problem.'  People are looking to government like never before to solve our problems.  
God I hope. The similarities are there.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2020, 10:11:19 PM »

The current neoliberal era is coming to a close... by a neoliberal likely winning a decisive victory over Trump

By the way, "government doing things" doesn't negate neoliberalism in anyway. The Obama-Biden administration was a fundamentally neoliberal one, despite the stimulus and bailout of GM
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2020, 10:14:57 PM »

Why look at history?

I’m think it could be next week. Or maybe the week after.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2020, 10:18:46 PM »
« Edited: October 03, 2020, 08:42:40 AM by EastOfEden »

I've been saying all of this for years now.

An outsider who no one saw coming suddenly emerges and wins a very close election by briefly managing to resurrect an old coalition, promising to "shake things up in Washington" and portraying his predecessors as incompetent and corrupt. The outsider is also a one-man show - an "only I can fix it" type. Despite being swept into power with a trifecta for their party, during their term they have only one single big success (for Carter this was the Camp David Accords, for Trump this would have been the Obamacare repeal if not for John McCain). During their last year, the country is hit by successive crises, while the president fails to respond and appears "in over his head." The president loses in a landslide to a familiar face with a long political career who has run for president or vice president before.

Fits perfectly to 2020 and 1980, fits pretty well to 1932. You can also try to apply it to 1860, but it's getting pretty sketchy by that point.

The current neoliberal era is coming to a close... by a neoliberal likely winning a decisive victory over Trump

Obama campaigned as a progressive and governed as a neoliberal/moderate. Watch Biden do the opposite, lol.

Remember, Biden entered politics before the Reagan Era began!
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2020, 10:21:04 PM »

By the way, "government doing things" doesn't negate neoliberalism in anyway. The Obama-Biden administration was a fundamentally neoliberal one, despite the stimulus and bailout of GM

Yeah, and Reagan was a former New Deal Democrat and union boss. So what?
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2020, 10:21:25 PM »
« Edited: October 02, 2020, 10:29:42 PM by Big Abraham »

Obama campaigned as a progressive and governed as a neoliberal/moderate. Watch Biden do the opposite, lol.

I think his record and policy positions can speak for itself

Biden has solely based his campaign, insofar as his policies are concerned, on continuing the agenda of the Obama administration. Reagan never campaigned as a unionist or "fifth-term FDR", nor ever governed as such in any of the offices to which he was elected. Nonsensical comparison through and through
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2020, 10:30:21 PM »

Biden has solely based his campaign, insofar as his policies are concerned, on continuing the agenda of the Obama administration. Reagan never campaigned as a unionist or "fifth-term FDR", nor ever governed as such in any of the offices to which he was elected. Nonsensical comparison through and through

Comparing Obama to Reagan is nonsensical
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2020, 11:00:04 PM »

Surprised no one's mentioned Dem Convention week in 1972 with Eagleton dropping out as VP for McGovern and a dozen prominent people humiliatingly publicly rejecting being on the ticket one after another.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2020, 11:10:46 PM »

Does the week of Nov 17th, 1963 count?
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2020, 11:16:09 PM »

Look at Trump's week

-Revealed that he paid $750 in taxes

-Thoroughly embarrasses himself at the debate

-Calls Biden out for wearing a mask then gets hospitalized for a virus he called a hoax

-Melania phone call leak where she says "F*** Christmas"

I've never seen anyone take that many blows to the body and still recover.

You forgot the (former) campaign manager totally losing it this week too.
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2020, 11:16:52 PM »

1980. Final Week.

Poor Jimmy, and poor us for allowing this to happen to him.

What happened in the last week of 1980?

"Were you better off than 4 years ago?"
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2020, 11:24:36 PM »
« Edited: October 02, 2020, 11:40:39 PM by Big Abraham »

Comparing Obama to Reagan is nonsensical

He touted many times over his administration his welfare "reform", proved to be a Reaganite on foreign policy by hemorrhaging funds and weapons against Iran, sanctions, an invasion of Libya, bombings in Syria and other Middle Eastern countries, all as part of a larger "proxy war" with Russia.

On every level, the Obama administration could not break with neoliberalism. Whereas F. Roosevelt assailed the "money chargers" and stressed public works, Obama extolled the virtues of "risk taking" business leaders. Expanding unemployment compensation was ruled out, and even the stimulus total plummeted again and again until it was barely adequate, and even this couldn't be done without supply-side measures like tax cuts. His health-care "reform" bill would have been a blessing to Reagan-era Republicans, who rallied against "socialized" medicine, as it demanded the individual purchase health insurance on the private market, without room for a public option.

I need not speak about free trade. Both Reagan and Obama were massive fans of FTAs, outsourcing jobs, and continued globalization which allows corporation to drive down wages on the working class the Democrats abandoned.

Like Reagan, the great enemy of the press, who imposed an unprecedented media blackout on the Grenada war and barred reporters from entering the country until it was supposedly "safe" enough, Obama spied on multiple journalists and tried to have a reporter jailed for not revealing his sources.

Oh, but Obama's a black Democrat who let gays join the military, so he's totally different
rhg2052

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.78

« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2020, 11:29:27 PM »

I look forward to witnessing Trump's next 40 years of humanitarian work.
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2020, 01:48:46 AM »
« Edited: October 03, 2020, 01:54:11 AM by Liberalrocks »

What would the map look like electorally if Biden exceeded his current highest forecast of about 413 electoral votes? It is still hard to see the plains or parts of the south moving but in 1980 Reagan won 44 states.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2020, 03:52:45 AM »
« Edited: October 03, 2020, 03:58:29 AM by Monstro Believes in a Blue Texas & a Blue Georgia »

What would the map look like electorally if Biden exceeded his current highest forecast of about 413 electoral votes? It is still hard to see the plains or parts of the south moving but in 1980 Reagan won 44 states.

Perhaps South Carolina & Alaska. Then....hell if I know. Montana? Kansas? Missouri? Even winning those puts him around 10 states & 50 EVs short of Reagan '80.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2020, 03:57:25 AM »

Vice President James Sherman had a terrible week, first dying, and then the ticket lost so badly he would have only gotten 8 electoral votes for re-election anyways.
McGarnagle
SomethingPolitical

« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2020, 04:03:19 AM »

I look forward to witnessing Trump's next 40 years of humanitarian work.

That made me laugh

Carter and Trump are very different in terms of character, temperament and honesty. Their presidencies do have similarities - both brought down by economic recession and a lingering crisis (Iran Hostage Crisis / COVID-19). The circumstances are not exactly the same but the similarities are there.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2020, 08:54:45 AM »

It has already been mentioned, but the last week of the 1872 campaign for Horace Greeley was probably worse.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2020, 09:25:48 AM »

Not a good week, but not by any stretch the worst week of his campaign by any means, nonetheless of any candidate in history. The whole month of June was far worse for him politically than this.

Carter's approval was well below 40% in 1980, Trump's is at 45-46% and roughly -7. There is no comparison. Furthermore, people continue to believe they personally are better off than four years ago even though they believe the country was better off four years ago. There is no comparison on the economy either. To believe this is 1980 redux is wishful thinking (and I mean than respectfully). Large chance Trump loses but this doesn't look AT ALL like 1980 objectively.
Stuart98
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -5.83

« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2020, 09:33:45 AM »

Late October-Early November 1980 was a disaster for Jimmy Carter.  But this week may take the cake.

Perhaps South Carolina & Alaska. Then....hell if I know. Montana? Kansas? Missouri? Even winning those puts him around 10 states & 50 EVs short of Reagan '80.
This is probably Trump's absolute floor/Biden's absolute ceiling:

Even with abysmal base turnout and everyone outside the base bleeding to Biden, Trump should still be able to win all of these states. It will take a PV margin a lot higher than Reagan '80 to get this map though; country's a lot more geographically polarized than it was 40 years ago.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2020, 09:45:12 AM »

Not a good week, but not by any stretch the worst week of his campaign by any means, nonetheless of any candidate in history. The whole month of June was far worse for him politically than this.

Carter's approval was well below 40% in 1980, Trump's is at 45-46% and roughly -7. There is no comparison. Furthermore, people continue to believe they personally are better off than four years ago even though they believe the country was better off four years ago. There is no comparison on the economy either. To believe this is 1980 redux is wishful thinking (and I mean than respectfully). Large chance Trump loses but this doesn't look AT ALL like 1980 objectively.

As has been said on here, this election is not similar to 1980 in every respect-you are correct when you say that Trump's approval ratings are higher, but I credit that to polarization more than anything else. And polarization is the reason why Trump will not lose as badly in the Electoral College as Jimmy Carter did in 1980, although the polls indicate that he could very well lose by a Carter-like margin in the popular vote. Otherwise, this election is similar to 1980 for reasons that have been outlined elsewhere:

1. Outsider President who narrowly won his first election, promising to "shake up" the system.
2. Outsider President who proves unable to work effectively in Washington and has few or no significant accomplishments.
3. Outsider President who is confronted with a series of crises (Carter: stagflation and the Iranian Hostage Crisis; Trump: coronavirus and racial tensions) that they are unable to effectively deal with, and which ultimately drags down their chances at reelection.
4. Outsider President is defeated by a challenger who has extensive political experience and is well known-and also older than the outsider President (Reagan and Biden).
5. Said election brings about realigning changes to the political map to the same geographic region (Reagan continued the transformation of the South into a Republican bastion; Biden looks poised to end Democratic losing streaks in Georgia, North Carolina, and Texas).
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies