HB 26-13: Urban Investment and Redevelopment Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:58:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 26-13: Urban Investment and Redevelopment Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: HB 26-13: Urban Investment and Redevelopment Act (Passed)  (Read 2222 times)
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 02, 2020, 12:46:52 AM »
« edited: March 03, 2021, 12:11:32 AM by Representative Joseph Cao »

AN ACT
To assist impoverished Atlasians and secure a better future for our posterity.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the Republic of Atlasia in Congress assembled,

Section I. Title
i. The long title of this bill shall be the "Urban Investment and Redevelopment Act."

Section II. Definitions
i. Urban area is defined as a CSA with over 1 million residents as of the most recently completed Census.

Section III. Creation of Urban Economic Action Districts
i. Regional and local governments may apply to the Department of Housing and Urban Development for cities or designated portions of cities to be designated as Urban Economic Action District (UEAD).
     a. For an area to be designated a UEAD, the median household income must be below the national median household income, and the percentage of households receiving federal assistance such as SNAP must exceed 20%.
     b. Once designated, a UEAD retains its status for five years.
ii. The Department of Housing and Urban Development shall work with financial institutions to create loan programs to benefit UEADs.

Section IV. Programs for Urban Economic Action Districts
i. Businesses that open new locations within UEADs shall receive (tax incentives) for the new location for up to three tax years.
ii. Businesses within UEADs owned by residents of the UEAD are eligible to apply to receive (tax incentives) for up to three tax years.
iii. Businesses receiving (tax incentives) shall also be exempt from employer-paid payroll taxes on new hires that are residents of the UEAD for up to one tax year.

Section V. Food Desert Prevention Program for Healthy Kids
i. Full-service grocery stores within UEADs can offer a 25% reduction to SNAP and WIC beneficiaries to be reimbursed by the federal government.
ii. A package of pots, pans, utensils, measuring cups, and a cookbook will be offered to all SNAP and WIC beneficiaries.
     a. The Department of Housing and Urban Development will sponsor cooking classes in UEADs every two months.

Section VI. Deconstruction of Blighted Areas
i. UEADs may apply for grant funds to be used for the purpose of deconstructing and rebuilding blighted areas.
     a. UEADs may apply for grant funds to create public parks and housing developments in formerly blighted areas.
ii. All uses of grant funds shall be subject to Department of Housing and Urban Development oversight.

Section VII. Public School Improvements
i. (underperforming public schools) can offer up to 33% higher pay to new teacher hires to be covered by the federal government.
     a. The 33% shall apply to the standard starting salary for the school district at the time of the UEAD designation.
ii. (underperforming public schools) more than twenty years old may apply for grant funds for school improvements.
     a. Grant funds may be used for classroom remodels, new equipment, or other maintenance or improvements.
     b. All uses of grant funds shall be subject to Department of Education oversight.

Section VIII. Appropriations
i. (TBD)

Sponsor: SevenEleven
House Designation: HB 26-13

72 hours to debate.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 12:20:30 AM »

We're way past 72 hours here. Sponsor?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 12:21:36 AM »

Oops, I didn't even see this somehow. I'll post tomorrow, I have a few things in the background that I can catch up with tomorrow.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 10:06:41 PM »

The goals of this bill are simple. For too long, we have allowed our cities and neighborhoods to suffer, our families to be left on an island. With this bill, we aim to change that. Though the goals are simple, the solutions are quite complex and that is why, as you can plainly see, many things here aren't quite fleshed out.

By creating these districts we can employ targeted assistance in order to guarantee a better return on our investment. As the saying goes, "when you lead a thirsty horse to water, he will drink". By improving education and the job market, we can revitalize underprivileged areas to the benefit of all.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 12:21:40 AM »

This area of policy is not exactly within my wheelhouse, so my apologies for not having offered any substantive input on the bill. That said, I like the idea of a tax incentive for small businesses within these districts.

Do other representatives have any thoughts on this?
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2020, 08:35:07 PM »

Bumping this.

This looks like a great bill and I'd be happy to support it. One thing though - I'm a little concerned that Section VI will allow cities to demolish and rebuild homes in 'blighted areas' (a term used frequently as justification for redlining) without the permission of current inhabitants. Would an amendment stipulating that resident approval be required be friendly?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 03:33:24 PM »

Bumping this.

This looks like a great bill and I'd be happy to support it. One thing though - I'm a little concerned that Section VI will allow cities to demolish and rebuild homes in 'blighted areas' (a term used frequently as justification for redlining) without the permission of current inhabitants. Would an amendment stipulating that resident approval be required be friendly?

Yeah I don't see any problem with that.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2020, 03:40:48 PM »

Great! I propose the following amendment:

AN ACT

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the Republic of Atlasia in Congress assembled,

Section I. Title
i. The long title of this bill shall be the "Urban Investment and Redevelopment Act."

Section II. Definitions
i. Urban area is defined as a CSA with over 1 million residents as of the most recently completed Census.

i. Regional and local governments may apply to the Department of Housing and Urban Development for cities or designated portions of cities to be designated as Urban Economic Action District (UEAD).
     a. For an area to be designated a UEAD, the median household income must be below the national median household income, and the percentage of households receiving federal assistance such as SNAP must exceed 20%.
ii. The Department of Housing and Urban Development shall work with financial institutions to create loan programs to benefit UEADs.

i. Businesses that open new locations within UEADs shall receive (tax incentives) for the new location for up to three tax years.
ii. Businesses within UEADs owned by residents of the UEAD are eligible to apply to receive (tax incentives) for up to three tax years.
iii. Businesses receiving (tax incentives) shall also be exempt from employer-paid payroll taxes on new hires that are residents of the UEAD for up to one tax year.

i. Full-service grocery stores within UEADs can offer a 25% reduction to SNAP and WIC beneficiaries to be reimbursed by the federal government.
ii. A package of pots, pans, utensils, measuring cups, and a cookbook will be offered to all SNAP and WIC beneficiaries.
     a. The Department of Housing and Urban Development will sponsor cooking classes in UEADs every two months.

i. UEADs may apply for grant funds to be used for the purpose of deconstructing and rebuilding blighted areas, with the consent of current residents of the affected blighted areas.
     a. UEADs may apply for grant funds to create public parks and housing developments in formerly blighted areas.
ii. All uses of grant funds shall be subject to Department of Housing and Urban Development oversight.

i. (underperforming public schools) can offer up to 33% higher pay to new teacher hires to be covered by the federal government.
     a. The 33% shall apply to the standard starting salary for the school district at the time of the UEAD designation.
ii. (underperforming public schools) more than twenty years old may apply for grant funds for school improvements.
     a. Grant funds may be used for classroom remodels, new equipment, or other maintenance or improvements.
     b. All uses of grant funds shall be subject to Department of Education oversight.

i. (TBD)

Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2020, 12:28:36 AM »

A good, common-sense amendment. 24 hours to object to its adoption.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2020, 12:28:48 AM »

With no objections, the amendment is adopted.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2020, 01:10:49 PM »

There's still some blanks that need filled in here that I was hoping to have some more input on.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2020, 05:02:44 PM »

Not a rep but this looks like a great bill! There are a few things I'd like to address.
First of all, it seems that the definition of "urban areas" doesn't carry relevancy? Could this be clarified?
I believe that the UEAD status should be renewable after 5 years if needed, and possibly with additional investigation as to why it is needed.
As a potential governor following the Lincoln election, would I be able to send UEAD proposals to HUD myself?
Is there a funding mechanism that the sponsor has in mind?
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2020, 05:09:49 PM »

There's still some blanks that need filled in here that I was hoping to have some more input on.
Hmm. Would it be adequate to count underperforming schools as all schools with >50% of the attendance population being from residents of a UEAD? I'm a little unsure about the exact text of tax incentives and appropriations, if a more experienced member could assist.
a. First of all, it seems that the definition of "urban areas" doesn't carry relevancy? Could this be clarified?
b. I believe that the UEAD status should be renewable after 5 years if needed, and possibly with additional investigation as to why it is needed.
As a potential governor following the Lincoln election, would I be able to send UEAD proposals to HUD myself?
On point (a.), I think the definition is fairly clear. Elaborate?

Regarding (b.), I agree and I think something addressing this should be added to the next amendment.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2020, 05:13:30 PM »

Hmm. Would it be adequate to count underperforming schools as all schools with >50% of the attendance population being from residents of a UEAD? I'm a little unsure about the exact text of tax incentives and appropriations, if a more experienced member could assist.
a. First of all, it seems that the definition of "urban areas" doesn't carry relevancy? Could this be clarified?
b. I believe that the UEAD status should be renewable after 5 years if needed, and possibly with additional investigation as to why it is needed.

Regarding (b.), I agree and I think something addressing this should be added to the next amendment.
The definition is clear but the term "urban area" isn't mentioned anywhere else in the bill.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2020, 05:21:30 PM »

The definition is clear but the term "urban area" isn't mentioned anywhere else in the bill.
Ah. That makes sense. For the next amendment (which should be drafted once we figure out the other blanks), we should probably replace "cities" with "urban areas", which would resolve that problem.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2020, 05:26:19 PM »

Ah. That makes sense. For the next amendment (which should be drafted once we figure out the other blanks), we should probably replace "cities" with "urban areas", which would resolve that problem.
I do think that brings up another problem that not every city is in a CSA. For example, San Diego, its a huge city, but ineligible according to that definition.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2020, 05:48:22 PM »

Ok here's a proposal, if any rep would like to sponsor it.
AN ACT

Section I. Title

Section II. Definitions
i. Urban area is defined as a CSA MSA with over 1 million 500,000 residents as of the most recently completed Census.

c. A UEAD may be renewed if it still meets the requirements after five years, however The Department of Housing and Urban Development shall launch an inquiry to determine why renewal was necessary.

i. UEADs may apply for grant funds to be used for the purpose of deconstructing and rebuilding blighted areas, with the consent of current residents of the affected blighted areas.

i. (TBD)

OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2020, 05:53:23 PM »

Ok here's a proposal, if any rep would like to sponsor it.
AN ACT

Section I. Title

Section II. Definitions
i. Urban area is defined as a CSA MSA with over 1 million 500,000 residents as of the most recently completed Census.

i. Regional and local governments may apply to the Department of Housing and Urban Development for citiesurban areas or designated portions of citiesurban areas to be designated as Urban Economic Action District (UEAD).
     c. A UEAD may be renewed if it still meets the requirements after five years, however The Department of Housing and Urban Development shall launch an inquiry to determine why renewal was necessary.

i. (TBD)

I'll sponsor a modified version (just changed cities to urban areas so the definition is utilized).
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2020, 12:19:01 AM »

24 hours to object to the amendment.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2020, 03:29:36 PM »

Friendly.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2020, 12:23:08 AM »

The amendment is adopted.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2020, 01:15:15 AM »

That Appropriations section could do with a little debate. Are we in shape to add this to the budget discussion?
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2020, 01:23:50 AM »

That Appropriations section could do with a little debate. Are we in shape to add this to the budget discussion?
Yeah I think this can be submitted to the Comptroller now, unless the sponsor wishes to object.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2020, 01:36:00 AM »

Yeah I think this can be submitted to the Comptroller now, unless the sponsor wishes to object.
I'm fine with that.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2021, 08:26:05 PM »
« Edited: January 09, 2021, 08:47:11 PM by 47th President Joe Biden! »

Bumping this.

Only 1/3 of this House has even bothered commenting here on what should be a major bill. We can do better than this.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies