Opinion of Atlas After Dark
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:38:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of Atlas After Dark
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Poll
Question: The Other Place
FF

HP

Undecided

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: Opinion of Atlas After Dark  (Read 8917 times)
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 30, 2020, 11:56:37 AM »
« edited: October 03, 2020, 07:50:26 AM by Ishan »

I wonder what you think?

The link= https://atlasafterdark.freeforums.net/
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 12:00:11 PM »

One Atlas suffices.
The less I register on websites the better.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 12:01:40 PM »

HP. Many of the people on that forum (and I assume that you posted this in response to my "Opinion of MT Treasurer" thread), seem to be uncompromising in their attitudes, and have a negative opinion of anyone-whether they be centrist Democrats (such as JDB), generic Republicans (such as MT Treasurer), or staunch Trumpists (such as Fuzzy Bear)-who is not a progressive and who does not adhere to their view of the issues. Their recent focus on MT Treasurer-a poster who has not engaged in attacks against others, who brings humor into the conversations here, and who is an inoffensive poster that stays out of policy arguments-seems to be the highlight of this. And that forum also has several users (i.e. publicunofficial, Evergreen, etc.) who were banned from Atlas precisely because of the abusive and harassing behaviors that they engaged in against others here-and are yet after the blood of a user who has done far less harm than they.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 12:03:18 PM »

It’s the best alternative to Atlas out there, just before the Discord.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 12:18:34 PM »

Who care
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 03:16:36 PM »

Many of the people on that forum seem to be uncompromising in their attitudes, and have a negative opinion of anyone-whether they be centrist Democrats (such as JDB), generic Republicans (such as MT Treasurer), or staunch Trumpists (such as Fuzzy Bear)-who is not a progressive and who does not adhere to their view of the issues.
FF!
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2020, 03:22:08 PM »

They elected me moderator twice, so it's obviously a great site. Grin
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2020, 03:37:36 PM »

Mixed
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2020, 03:40:11 PM »

Freedom Forum!

It is a little cliquey and small, but there are some high quality posters who only post over there, as well as some who post much more regularly on AAD.

With AAD's formation immediately preceding the massive influx of 2016 posters, it feels in some ways like the closest thing to the Atlas I joined, with a very strong institutional Atlas memory going back to the deep 2000s.

Although moderation is unfortunately overly lax it's not really dominated by opebo defender types anymore and they tend to run off trolls fairly effectively.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2020, 04:07:07 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2020, 04:12:49 PM by Senator tack50 (Lab-Lincoln) »

Too cliquey and also it is so homogenously on the left that it makes Atlas look like a paradise of ideological diversity.

Lean FF because it has a lot of effortposts and good discussion too, but it has a lot of problems as well.

It is a little cliquey and small, but there are some high quality posters who only post over there, as well as some who post much more regularly on AAD.

Although moderation is unfortunately overly lax it's not really dominated by opebo defender types anymore and they tend to run off trolls fairly effectively.

To be honest I imagine the reason AAD has so lax moderation is precisely because it is so cliquey and small. A larger forum that was less cliquey or larger would more likely need stricter moderation and I say this as someone who always thinks that moderation should be on the more lenient side of things rather than on the stricter one (if you want to see a forum with too strict moderation, AH.com seems to be one of them)

Though I will say that there are several boards here which are generally unmoderated but they tend to be the ones that are low activity and/or have a higher level of discussion (stuff like the Economics or History boards for instance)
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2020, 04:08:20 PM »

Freedom Forum!

With AAD's formation immediately preceding the massive influx of 2016 posters, it feels in some ways like the closest thing to the Atlas I joined, with a very strong institutional Atlas memory going back to the deep 2000s.

Admittedly there are times where we've been too lax and allowed trolls and twisted people to post freely far longer than they should have. We don't have a TOS, but we do have precedents, and the only rules we have are:

1. No death/physical threats
2. No telling people to commit suicide
3. No chronic harassment of other posters
4. No nudes that reveal naughty bits (Not our idea; Virginia's hot girls thread sadly took a dive once that rule was put in place by the server)
5. No hacking

So far I think the only people we've banned are Eharding, Ziggy, NYCMM, and jmfcst. Cora deleted his account right before the banhammer was about to strike. Honestly, if you manage to get yourself banned from a site as lax as AAD, chances are you are someone who needs to be institutionalized.

I do wish more center-right posters would join or return. Because it is an echo chamber and while it's nice to have a safe place for leftists to vent about stuff, the lack of ideological diversity kinda sucks and it was not intended to be that way when Hockey Dude (who has since passed all admin duties to retromike) created it.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2020, 04:17:30 PM »

Freedom Forum!

Admittedly there are times where we've been too lax and allowed trolls and twisted people to post freely far longer than they should have. We don't have a TOS, but we do have precedents, and the only rules we have are:

4. No nudes that reveal naughty bits (Not our idea; Virginia's hot girls thread sadly took a dive once that rule was put in place by the server)
5. No hacking

So far I think the only people we've banned are Eharding, Ziggy, NYCMM, and jmfcst. Cora deleted his account right before the banhammer was about to strike. Honestly, if you manage to get yourself banned from a site as lax as AAD, chances are you are someone who needs to be institutionalized.

I do wish more center-right posters would join or return. Because it is an echo chamber and while it's nice to have a safe place for leftists to vent about stuff, the lack of ideological diversity kinda sucks and it was not intended to be that way when Hockey Dude (who has since passed all admin duties to retromike) created it.

Agreed--the current situation of AAD IMO is a lot better than when Eharding was spewing his bile everywhere. I mostly am just annoyed by the presence of NYCMM and Audmanout, who's posts are infrequent enoughh and milquetoast enough that his ugly record is forgotten.

Also I wish I could ignore hockeydude because he is kind of a white noise poster at this point
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2020, 04:20:54 PM »

Freedom Forum!

5. No hacking

Agreed--the current situation of AAD IMO is a lot better than when Eharding was spewing his bile everywhere. I mostly am just annoyed by the presence of NYCMM and Audmanout, who's posts are infrequent enoughh and milquetoast enough that his ugly record is forgotten.

Also I wish I could ignore hockeydude because he is kind of a white noise poster at this point

I actually like HockeyDude because we've Zoomed together and he's actually a fairly decent and intelligent guy when you get to know him. He just has a trolling addiction that he's not getting treatment for.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2020, 04:21:34 PM »

To be honest I imagine the reason AAD has so lax moderation is precisely because it is so cliquey and small. A larger forum that was less cliquey or larger would more likely need stricter moderation and I say this as someone who always thinks that moderation should be on the more lenient side of things rather than on the stricter one (if you want to see a forum with too strict moderation, AH.com seems to be one of them)

Well of course AAD was founded as some sort of radical experiment in a moderation-free community. Though I think you're completely right about the state of the forum at present.

One phenomenon that I think is interesting is that a lot of banned posters were invited onto AAD. Interestingly most are pretty normal, but the handful who folks might would say seemed the most unhinged/dangerous/weird have been banned or forced off the forum (i.e. Libertas, jmfcst, Einzige).
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2020, 04:40:24 PM »

Wouldn't know a thing about it today, but it felt like it was in a toxic spiral in the late 2010s, when I left. Little reason to go back.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2020, 05:02:31 PM »

Wouldn't know a thing about it today, but it felt like it was in a toxic spiral in the late 2010s, when I left. Little reason to go back.
Pretty much sums my experience too.
I saw dozens of pages picking on that special needs guy from Oklahoma and never went back.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2020, 05:17:50 PM »

There was a lot of good discussion and analysis there, but yes, things were getting bad when i left it last year and I have always been deeply uncomfortable with the Update threads. After the 2018 elections a lot of good posters left and it became less enjoyable.

Mostly a Freedom Forum but i don't intend to go back and it will probably continue to slowly die out.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2020, 05:40:51 PM »

Generally OK, but has a major transphobia problem.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2020, 07:33:13 PM »

Scott dislikes this.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2020, 07:55:14 PM »

The websites format, layout, and interface is a huge reason why I don’t like it.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2020, 08:04:04 PM »

Scott dislikes this.

literally who
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2020, 08:06:42 PM »

Scott dislikes this.

literally who

Now you're just kicking me in the nuts, man.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2020, 09:30:26 PM »

Mixed.

+ Good layout, lots of good effort-posts, Update style pages, and there's retromike.

- Too gossipy, circle-jerking arrogance, moderation that is far too lax, and there's oakvale.

Was far better when politicus was still there.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2020, 09:37:17 PM »

Has been in a slow and steady terminal decline since it peaked a few months after being created.  I still check the various megathreads every few days, but it's basically a peanut gallery.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2020, 09:47:16 PM »

After this disgraceful post: https://atlasafterdark.freeforums.net/post/537414/thread, calling for me to be shot simply for expressing my opinion about MT Treasurer, my opinion of that place has gone down even further, if that were possible. Definite HP now, and far too permissive with allowing disgraceful people to get away with their antics.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies