Do you support Armenia or Azerbaijan in the current conflict? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:09:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you support Armenia or Azerbaijan in the current conflict? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you support Armenia or Azerbaijan in the current conflict?
Armenia

Azerbaijan

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Author Topic: Do you support Armenia or Azerbaijan in the current conflict?  (Read 2217 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: September 28, 2020, 09:10:07 AM »

Incredibly tragic situation all around. Both sides have been dehumanizing each other for years so I think choosing one over the other is missing the point, even though the current aggression was clearly started by the Azeri regime.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 09:15:47 AM »

Azerbaijan.
Even if I’m a Christian, this conflict really isn’t about religion, it’s geopolitical. Emboldening Armenia is just emboldening a Putin-bootlicking State and we can’t have that. Azerbaijan for anti-Russia reasons, not because they are “morally right” (no one is) Also their natural resources/potential could be very useful.

Realistically though, America probably shouldn’t jump into this right now. It’s very risky, although I am more sympathetic to the Azeri side on a personal level. Siding with Putin at a time like this is not acceptable.

Siding with a Turkish client state against Armenia in particular doesn't strike me as a position from which one can claim any kind of high ground...
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 09:30:02 AM »

Azerbaijan.
Even if I’m a Christian, this conflict really isn’t about religion, it’s geopolitical. Emboldening Armenia is just emboldening a Putin-bootlicking State and we can’t have that. Azerbaijan for anti-Russia reasons, not because they are “morally right” (no one is) Also their natural resources/potential could be very useful.

Realistically though, America probably shouldn’t jump into this right now. It’s very risky, although I am more sympathetic to the Azeri side on a personal level. Siding with Putin at a time like this is not acceptable.

Siding with a Turkish client state against Armenia in particular doesn't strike me as a position from which one can claim any kind of high ground...
Fine, I have the moral low ground. Your point?

I guess I just don't understand why siding with Erdogan is preferable to siding with Putin. If one is really concerned about emboldening dictators in the Caucasus, it seems to me that the proper position is a Kissingeresque "it's a shame they can't both lose" stance. Is it because Turkey is nominally a US ally and is thus less geopolitically dangerous to the United States in particular?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies