Do you support Armenia or Azerbaijan in the current conflict?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:23:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you support Armenia or Azerbaijan in the current conflict?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Do you support Armenia or Azerbaijan in the current conflict?
Armenia

Azerbaijan

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Author Topic: Do you support Armenia or Azerbaijan in the current conflict?  (Read 2194 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 27, 2020, 09:18:05 PM »

Armenia all the way. r/christianity has a front page post asking us to pray for our Christian brothers and sisters there in their struggle against Azeri aggression.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 09:19:28 PM »

where is a neutral option?
I strongly oppose the idea of supporting either side and did eenie meenie mine-y mo to pick the poll option I'd select.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 09:33:41 PM »

Why do I need to pick a side like it's a playground fight?
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 09:38:15 PM »

Due to the close proximity and political capital being invested in regard to Turkey, I知 backing Armenia
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2020, 09:56:11 PM »
« Edited: September 28, 2020, 07:22:00 AM by MATTROSE94 »

Neutral. I am not crazy about either country (the territories of Armenia and Azerbaijan were both originally part of Iran until the 1800s and artificially created as independent countries after the end of the Cold War) and feel that Iran should have invaded and annexed them as their new provinces by 1999 at the latest.
Saruku

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2020, 10:19:53 PM »

r/christianity has a front page post asking us to pray for our Christian brothers and sisters there in their struggle against Azeri aggression.
This is dumb. Religion is always completely overrated as a factor in these kinds of conflicts.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2020, 10:25:32 PM »

Due to the close proximity and political capital being invested in regard to Turkey, I知 backing Armenia

Which is backed by Russia
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2020, 10:29:47 PM »

Yes, Armenia is a Russian client state in fact.
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -6.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2020, 10:30:09 PM »

Soft support for Armenia being that Nagorno Karabakh is almost completely populated by ethnic Armenians and clearly has no desire to be a part of Azerbaijan預nd yes, I am aware that many Azeris were expelled from the region in the late 80s/early 90s. There should be some compensation for that in return for the people of Nagorno Karabakh being able to join Armenia (or remaining independent) if that is what they want to do.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2020, 11:14:12 PM »

Yes, and?

Comparing the conflicts I知 critically supporting Russia in (Syria) versus not (Libya, Ukraine) I say I need one more for balance.
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2020, 11:25:53 PM »

I have had cousins of my family from mixed Azeri-Armenian families have to hide inside my grandparents' home in Baki during the 1990 pogrom. I have had male relatives also be unable to leave their homes for a few years because of fear of being kidnapped on the streets and being sent to the front lines. I know that for some this is an irrelevant, almost funny spectator sport-war, but war really isn't what most want or desire. With a lot of the borders being drawn by imperialist chauvinist Russians during the empire and soviet period, both groups of people are victims of imperialist violence and the consequences of empire. Azerbaijan, especially, being an all-but-dictatorship, really doesn't reflect the desires of most people (including my grandparents); it's a government that cares very little for its people and it's no surprise it'd take such terrible actions. The losses and scars of the 1990s are still felt and remembered, and of course part of that is manifested as animosity.

Of course, framing this poll like you did only plays into the hands of Russian, Turkish, and dictatorial desires - the people of this region are mere toys for their exertion of power. And of course BRTD effectively rebranding this as a crusade against the invading Islamic Azerbaijani horde is disgusting, let alone inaccurate considering how secular the country is. But it's a stupid poll, reflecting its origin.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2020, 12:40:12 AM »
« Edited: September 28, 2020, 09:24:10 AM by TexasGurl »

Armenia all the way. r/christianity has a front page post asking us to pray for our Christian brothers and sisters there in their struggle against Azeri aggression.
What is wrong with you. This isn't a game.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2020, 12:42:09 AM »

Imagine actually endorsing one side over the other in this conflict simply because you share the same religion. But remember, faith makes people act morally!
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2020, 12:46:10 AM »

I have had cousins of my family from mixed Azeri-Armenian families have to hide inside my grandparents' home in Baki during the 1990 pogrom. I have had male relatives also be unable to leave their homes for a few years because of fear of being kidnapped on the streets and being sent to the front lines. I know that for some this is an irrelevant, almost funny spectator sport-war, but war really isn't what most want or desire. With a lot of the borders being drawn by imperialist chauvinist Russians during the empire and soviet period, both groups of people are victims of imperialist violence and the consequences of empire. Azerbaijan, especially, being an all-but-dictatorship, really doesn't reflect the desires of most people (including my grandparents); it's a government that cares very little for its people and it's no surprise it'd take such terrible actions. The losses and scars of the 1990s are still felt and remembered, and of course part of that is manifested as animosity.

Of course, framing this poll like you did only plays into the hands of Russian, Turkish, and dictatorial desires - the people of this region are mere toys for their exertion of power. And of course BRTD effectively rebranding this as a crusade against the invading Islamic Azerbaijani horde is disgusting, let alone inaccurate considering how secular the country is. But it's a stupid poll, reflecting its origin.

First I'm very sorry for what your family has gone through. I hope they are all safe now.

But it's hard to deny the reality here that Azerbaijan started this with missles and air strikes against peaceful Armenian settlements in Nagorno-Karabakh forcing most of the population into bomb shelters. It's an unprovoked act of aggression by the Azerbaijan military against an oppressed ethnic minority in the country.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2020, 12:48:31 AM »

What the  is wrong with you. This isn't a game.
No it's not. As noted it's total unprovoked aggression by the military of a repressive regime against an oppressed minority they have attempted to ethnically cleanse in the past.

Imagine actually endorsing one side over the other in this conflict simply because you share the same religion. But remember, faith makes people act morally!
There's also that the Armenian settlements are peaceful, the Azerbaijan military engaged in unprovoked aggression against them and has tried to ethnically cleanse the area in not too distant history.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2020, 12:53:38 AM »

No it's not. As noted it's total unprovoked aggression by the military of a repressive regime against an oppressed minority they have attempted to ethnically cleanse in the past.
I know that better than most. We can only hope a ceasefire is made sooner rather than later. There's nothing worth cheering here.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2020, 12:55:52 AM »

I know that better than most. We can only hope a ceasefire is made sooner rather than later. There's nothing worth cheering here.
I agree with that. I'm just praying the Armenians don't fall.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2020, 07:40:37 AM »

Incredibly tragic situation all around. Both sides have been dehumanizing each other for years so I think choosing one over the other is missing the point, even though the current aggression was clearly started by the Azeri regime.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2020, 08:14:59 AM »

Is it really right for r/christianity to turn it into a sectarian conflict?

What would you think about an Islamic forum calling its posters to support the Azerbaijani liberation of Muslim land?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2020, 08:35:37 AM »

I guess armenia but really don't much care
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2020, 09:10:07 AM »

Incredibly tragic situation all around. Both sides have been dehumanizing each other for years so I think choosing one over the other is missing the point, even though the current aggression was clearly started by the Azeri regime.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2020, 09:14:06 AM »

Is it really right for r/christianity to turn it into a sectarian conflict?

What would you think about an Islamic forum calling its posters to support the Azerbaijani liberation of Muslim land?

Yeah, especially considering it's not a sectarian conflict to begin with.

I've noticed that a lot of liberal Americans have a desire to map American racial/ethnic dynamics onto this conflict (and other conflicts around the world), with Azeris being the privileged aggressors and Armenia being the oppressed minority. This is helped by there being a large Armenian diaspora in the US (and virtually no Azeri diaspora) and the Azeri government being awful for a number of reasons. The reality is more nuanced.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2020, 09:21:38 AM »
« Edited: September 28, 2020, 10:31:54 AM by RINO Tom »

A girl from my MBA class is Armenian, so I admit I might be biased, but ... I知 not seeing a logical defense for not seeing Armenia as a victim here?

Also, Armenia is an ancient nation with a rich and VERY long history.  Did someone seriously just call it artificially created?!  I壇 hate to hear his hot takes on Israel.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2020, 09:21:56 AM »

The Georgians should conquer them both. /s
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2020, 10:19:22 AM »

Whichever one you choose, please don't make that choice on the basis of religious affiliation.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies