Do you support Armenia or Azerbaijan in the current conflict? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:27:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you support Armenia or Azerbaijan in the current conflict? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you support Armenia or Azerbaijan in the current conflict?
Armenia

Azerbaijan

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Author Topic: Do you support Armenia or Azerbaijan in the current conflict?  (Read 2242 times)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« on: September 28, 2020, 07:40:37 AM »

Incredibly tragic situation all around. Both sides have been dehumanizing each other for years so I think choosing one over the other is missing the point, even though the current aggression was clearly started by the Azeri regime.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 09:14:06 AM »

Armenia all the way. r/christianity has a front page post asking us to pray for our Christian brothers and sisters there in their struggle against Azeri aggression.

Is it really right for r/christianity to turn it into a sectarian conflict?

What would you think about an Islamic forum calling its posters to support the Azerbaijani liberation of Muslim land?

Yeah, especially considering it's not a sectarian conflict to begin with.

I've noticed that a lot of liberal Americans have a desire to map American racial/ethnic dynamics onto this conflict (and other conflicts around the world), with Azeris being the privileged aggressors and Armenia being the oppressed minority. This is helped by there being a large Armenian diaspora in the US (and virtually no Azeri diaspora) and the Azeri government being awful for a number of reasons. The reality is more nuanced.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 10:39:13 AM »

A girl from my MBA class is Armenian, so I admit I might be biased, but ... I’m not seeing a logical defense for not seeing Armenia as a victim here?

Also, Armenia is an ancient nation with a rich and VERY long history.  Did someone seriously just call it artificially created?!  I’d hate to hear his hot takes on Israel.

Yeah, Armenians are victims here, but the people of Azerbaijan are also victims and it's important to not lose sight of that. And yeah, calling Armenia "artificially created" is pretty ridiculous. All three of the independent countries in the Caucasus have long enough histories, although Azerbaijan (if you're defining it by the Turkic-speaking people who live there now) is the newest of the three.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies