Do you support Armenia or Azerbaijan in the current conflict?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:30:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you support Armenia or Azerbaijan in the current conflict?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Do you support Armenia or Azerbaijan in the current conflict?
Armenia

Azerbaijan

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Author Topic: Do you support Armenia or Azerbaijan in the current conflict?  (Read 2222 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2020, 09:44:42 AM »

Azerbaijan.
Even if I’m a Christian, this conflict really isn’t about religion, it’s geopolitical. Emboldening Armenia is just emboldening a Putin-bootlicking State and we can’t have that.

The repeated misfortunes of the Armenian nation are not reason enough to condemn them to further devastation.

I still think "client state" is a very strong term that ignores Armenia's autonomy--and its perennial quest to escape Russian hegemony. That it sends a few de-miners to Syria every few years doesn't make it little more than a tool of Russian foreign policy, and that can be seen in recent overtures to Israel and the EU. Sadly, its present state will likely persist sans a dramatic intervention by an as-of-yet uncommitted outside player.

Combine this with the fact that the 2018 revolution can in part be attributed to Russia fatigue, Russia's willingness to cut off their fuel supply in the middle of winter just to tank the EU Association Agreement, and the fact that Russia still plays Azerbaijan and Armenia against each other.

Hopefully you can see past your hatred of Putin to feel some shred of sympathy for a nation that deserves a better label than "bootlicking".
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2020, 12:37:05 PM »

No
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2020, 05:32:50 PM »

Azerbaijan.
Even if I’m a Christian, this conflict really isn’t about religion, it’s geopolitical. Emboldening Armenia is just emboldening a Putin-bootlicking State and we can’t have that. Azerbaijan for anti-Russia reasons, not because they are “morally right” (no one is) Also their natural resources/potential could be very useful.

Realistically though, America probably shouldn’t jump into this right now. It’s very risky, although I am more sympathetic to the Azeri side on a personal level. Siding with Putin at a time like this is not acceptable.

Siding with a Turkish client state against Armenia in particular doesn't strike me as a position from which one can claim any kind of high ground...

Yeah, I too think the existence of Islamist terrorism in China justifies some things happening to the Uyghurs.

(Seriously, WTF?!)
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies