Armenia—Azerbaijan Conflict Aftermath: Discord in Armenia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:07:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Armenia—Azerbaijan Conflict Aftermath: Discord in Armenia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13]
Author Topic: Armenia—Azerbaijan Conflict Aftermath: Discord in Armenia  (Read 12817 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: September 18, 2022, 12:35:40 AM »

Interesting thread in r/Azerbaijan this morning asking why Armenia has better diplomacy--referring to the recent expressions of public support from France, the United States, etc. Some correctly see this as primarily rhetorical support. Others have an intriguing theory that foreign powers like to prop up Armenia to create a wedge between Azerbaijan and Turkey and prevent the true, full power of a united Turkic state. That feels sort of like the Azerbaijani version of the typical Russia-originating conspiratorial views on the region.

I've always found it amusing that nearly any book you read on modern Persian history will bring up how much Persians love conspiracy theories.

Azerbaijan is actually Iran confirmed.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #301 on: September 18, 2022, 12:36:45 AM »

Also a restaurant in Yerevan refused to play music yesterday because [paraphrase of a translation] "of everything going on right now". This struck me as strange, since they still sold beer and food.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #302 on: September 18, 2022, 08:16:46 AM »

If you were a participant in Eurovision you should be eligible EU membership (yes, even Australia).

Not sure if this actually needs stating, but Eurovision really isn't the same thing at all.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #303 on: September 18, 2022, 08:25:13 AM »

Interesting thread in r/Azerbaijan this morning asking why Armenia has better diplomacy--referring to the recent expressions of public support from France, the United States, etc. Some correctly see this as primarily rhetorical support. Others have an intriguing theory that foreign powers like to prop up Armenia to create a wedge between Azerbaijan and Turkey and prevent the true, full power of a united Turkic state. That feels sort of like the Azerbaijani version of the typical Russia-originating conspiratorial views on the region.

The United Turkic state will only reach full strength when the integral Turkic clay of… Hungary, is reunited with its sundered Turkic brethren!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #304 on: September 18, 2022, 10:18:22 AM »
« Edited: September 18, 2022, 10:29:45 AM by Post-Soviet-Posting »

Walking home from the gym, I passed in front of a hotel that had news cameras and police officers. Suspecting something, I hung around. While initially some clearly "local" officials spoke to the cameras, the show was clearly not about them, and everyone hung around after they were done speaking. I started to note the many black SUVs in front of the hotel, as well as the clearly non-Armenian officials and security personnel. Meanwhile, the police officers kept calmly telling onlookers to step back. The hotel had Armenian, as well as Italian, American, and EU flags hung above the doorway, but none of the seemingly-relatively-common-in-Yerevan Russian Federation flags. In a flash, it happened--security shooed a small woman in a brown coat into an SUV. A woman in the audience somewhere behind me said to a friend, "We saw Nancy Pelosi but she didn't see us." A few seconds later, a tall, clearly Western man wity gray hair was whisked to another SUV along with a blonde, middle-aged female colleague or aide. I believe that man to be Frank Pallone (D-NJ-06), Co-Chair of the Congressional Armenian Congress and a member of the delegation accompanying Pelosi to Armenia. I did grab two shots of him, though they are not very clear.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #305 on: September 18, 2022, 11:41:26 AM »

I've always found it amusing that nearly any book you read on modern Persian history will bring up how much Persians love conspiracy theories.

Azerbaijan is actually Iran confirmed.

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #306 on: September 19, 2022, 12:44:03 AM »

Rumor is circulating about Azerbaijani jets awaiting Pelosi's departure, and of Israeli military aid shipments en route to Azerbaijan. I can validate none of this, of course.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #307 on: September 19, 2022, 04:28:05 AM »

Rumor is circulating about Azerbaijani jets awaiting Pelosi's departure, and of Israeli military aid shipments en route to Azerbaijan. I can validate none of this, of course.

Now, why does this not surprise especially?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #308 on: September 19, 2022, 06:32:21 PM »

Yeah, Israel has long had good relations with Azerbaijan. Which makes sense, since Israel has also long had good relations with Turkey (Erdogan-era tensions notwithstanding).

It helps that Azerbaijan and Iran are adversaries, of course.  
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #309 on: September 19, 2022, 06:40:50 PM »

My neighbor is a 1979 refugee, and I have a memory of him  explaining to me, years ago, about how Khomeini was a long-time intelligence asset of the US, British, and French.

He also despises Trump as much as anybody, but had nothing but good things to say about the killing of Qassim Suleimani.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #310 on: September 21, 2022, 03:24:15 AM »

https://www.euronews.com/2022/09/19/armenian-protesters-demand-their-country-leaves-moscow-led-military-alliance

There's been a protest in Yerevan demanding that Armenia leave the CSTO.

Frankly it should. If Russia won't protect Armenia, it has no reason to stay allied with it.

Armenia should get closer to the West.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #311 on: September 21, 2022, 06:43:55 AM »

Another foreign policy triumph for Putin.

So much win!
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #312 on: September 21, 2022, 02:45:16 PM »

Interesting thread in r/Azerbaijan this morning asking why Armenia has better diplomacy--referring to the recent expressions of public support from France, the United States, etc. Some correctly see this as primarily rhetorical support.
Two reasons: their massive diaspora + Armenia being Christian while Azerbaijan is not.

And there's also the issue that everyone arguing in favor of Azerbaijan will be accused of being paid by them - and that their government is widely seen as authoritarian while Armenia's is not (I'd say the difference is actually a matter of degrees, but I understand how Azerbaijan's optics don't do them favors).
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #313 on: September 21, 2022, 03:55:19 PM »

Interesting thread in r/Azerbaijan this morning asking why Armenia has better diplomacy--referring to the recent expressions of public support from France, the United States, etc. Some correctly see this as primarily rhetorical support.
Two reasons: their massive diaspora + Armenia being Christian while Azerbaijan is not.

And there's also the issue that everyone arguing in favor of Azerbaijan will be accused of being paid by them - and that their government is widely seen as authoritarian while Armenia's is not (I'd say the difference is actually a matter of degrees, but I understand how Azerbaijan's optics don't do them favors).

There's also the little factoid that Azerbaijan is clearly the one loudly gunning for genocide right now...
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #314 on: September 21, 2022, 04:02:26 PM »

There's also the little factoid that Azerbaijan is clearly the one loudly gunning for genocide right now...

Yes, being objective worse than your enemy always make your enemy’s PR a lot easier.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #315 on: September 22, 2022, 08:04:51 AM »

Not much to report on the ground (in Yerevan at least). Apparently, Nancy Pelosi is in town, and because of this, the streets were lined with American flags on Saturday. Last Wednesday a Russian volunteer and I were placed in the awkward position of being on a patio full of Armenians lamenting their lack of external support.

As referred to in a separate thread from a few days ago, there apparently have been people expressing the desire to see the sons of their politicians and oligarchs die in a military engagement, apparently a reaction against the fact that Azerbaijani casualties are working class.
Top English comment: "...their existence creates severe instability in the region. Turkey and Azerbaijan are closely related and relative countries. Without Armenia, there would be a close and unrivaled cooperation."

We're not the bad guys, I swear!
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #316 on: September 29, 2022, 12:48:12 PM »
« Edited: September 29, 2022, 05:01:24 PM by DINGO Joe »

Apparently Armenia prepaid for some weapons from Russia and they're a little late in arriving

Logical

« Reply #317 on: October 01, 2022, 09:12:02 PM »

Major violence warning. Do not watch if you cannot handle extremely distressing content.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #318 on: October 02, 2022, 12:41:56 AM »

"Old" news, but Armenia buys weapons from India. #India2020

There was another protest at the Opera yesterday, but despite the loud megaphone, attendance appeared meager. Based on local sources (aka a random person on a language exchange app) it was an anti-CSTO demonstration.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #319 on: October 02, 2022, 04:36:04 AM »

Major violence warning. Do not watch if you cannot handle extremely distressing content.

"This tweet violated the Twitter rules".
Logical

« Reply #320 on: October 02, 2022, 05:23:10 AM »
« Edited: October 02, 2022, 06:05:47 AM by Logical »

"This tweet violated the Twitter rules".
Half a dozen Armenian pows executed in cold bold isis style, this isn't the first nor the last video of war crimes to come out from September.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies