Armenia—Azerbaijan Conflict Aftermath: Discord in Armenia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 05:45:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Armenia—Azerbaijan Conflict Aftermath: Discord in Armenia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13
Author Topic: Armenia—Azerbaijan Conflict Aftermath: Discord in Armenia  (Read 13638 times)
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: September 14, 2022, 11:13:30 AM »
« edited: September 14, 2022, 11:20:28 AM by Lord Halifax »

Armenia has just invoked CSTO’s self-defence clause:

It claims Azerbaijan now occupies its territory (presumably, not just Artsakh).
This is a win-win: helps Armenia, and hopefully diverts some Russian troops from Ukraine too.

It’s a win-win if Russia actually sends troops. They aren’t likely to yet, in my view. The borders of Armenia and Azerbaijan are not strictly charted in law, allowing Russia to weasel out of article 4 until Azerbaijan starts taking major settlements in Armenia proper.

Edit: if Russia does nothing then, CSTO will lose a lot of credibility, but I think Russia is willing to make that sacrifice for the sake of its war in Ukraine.

If Russia does nothing than CSTO probably collapsed like the League of Nations.

If Russia does nothing than it is proven to be a worthless ally.

And yeah Russia seems to have totally destroyed its credibility this year, even with its allies. It's turning itself into a pariah state.

This conflict only started because Russia's losses in Ukraine showed some people that they were weak and now is the time to strike.

But if Azerbaijan makes a lot of gains, I expect Iran to invade Azerbaijan and overthrow the regime, which would anger Turkey.

Iran would have trouble doing that. Firstly, the Azerbaijani military is very well equipped, and would get further supplied by Turkey and Israel. Secondly, there are tons of Azeris in Iran who won't be happy and will keep the Iranians occupied...

The US would come to Aliyev's aid too in that scenario.

Aliyev isn't particularly popular with Iranian Azeris. On the contrary many (likely most) of them see Azerbaijan as a renegade territory that should rejoin "the Iranian motherland", from which it was unjustly separated as a result of the Russo-Persian wars in the early 19th century.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #226 on: September 14, 2022, 11:51:50 AM »

The degree of worry on the ground is greater than yesterday, but I was also at different job sites each day so it is hard to compare.

Cathcon, I'm curious since I know you and I have similar academic/professional backgrounds - I've always found as a non-Armenian American that Armenia is a particularly hard country to "grasp" as an outsider, and that this conflict in particular is one whose debates and discussions are very insular to the Armenian and Azeri communities. Like, it's pretty common to meet non-Georgian scholars of Georgia and non-Chechen scholars of Chechnya, but basically everyone I know who studies Armenia has some personal connection to the country, either through family or marriage. As far as I know, you don't, but I could be wrong. How did you come to be involved with Armenia and do you feel like you've broken through that bubble, or do you still feel very much like a relatively uninformed outside observer who just happens to have a good view of the situation?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #227 on: September 14, 2022, 01:00:47 PM »

The degree of worry on the ground is greater than yesterday, but I was also at different job sites each day so it is hard to compare.

Cathcon, I'm curious since I know you and I have similar academic/professional backgrounds - I've always found as a non-Armenian American that Armenia is a particularly hard country to "grasp" as an outsider, and that this conflict in particular is one whose debates and discussions are very insular to the Armenian and Azeri communities. Like, it's pretty common to meet non-Georgian scholars of Georgia and non-Chechen scholars of Chechnya, but basically everyone I know who studies Armenia has some personal connection to the country, either through family or marriage. As far as I know, you don't, but I could be wrong. How did you come to be involved with Armenia and do you feel like you've broken through that bubble, or do you still feel very much like a relatively uninformed outside observer who just happens to have a good view of the situation?

I can't speak to any particular longing in my soul beyond a process of elimination and a reaction to events as they occurred. I wanted to study the former Warsaw Pact because it was "cool". I narrowed down to the former USSR because that was efficient in terms of comparison and reading. I further focused on the South Caucasus and Central Asia because as an American with few real "IR" contacts they seemed the least explored--and because, unlike the Baltics, it felt there was still a story to watch unfold. (I am also bigoted against countries that are non-mountainous or too humid--I'm already from Michigan!) Armenia's 2018 Velvet Revolution made it a fascinating case study, though within the usual Color Revolution framework something I still don't quite understand. I am here specifically because I got bored with my actual career (and failed in an attempt to enter a new PhD program out of state), searched "volunteer in [post-Soviet country]", and found a very reputable option in Armenia, which along with Georgia was in my top two preferences.

As for trying to "grasp" Armenia, I don't quite think I'm there, but I also don't really intuit what that phrase means (autism alert). I suppose one example of real disconnect would be my complete incomprehension of the rather unproductive workday here--interrupted by multiple coffee breaks and the like--but I ascribe that to a stereotype of non-Protestant culture. (And, ftr, I do tend to get singled out as the volunteer with no real "reason"--ethnicity--to be here) The conflict, however, makes fairly straightforward sense to me in a way that makes me uncomfortable when people express confusion. I try to convey these types of topics to my fellow First Worlders by way of a sort of shorthand based on self- or national-interest and examples from US politics they can hopefully relate to, but I get the impression that this still falls somewhat short. Am I just miming comprehension? Who knows.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #228 on: September 14, 2022, 01:04:41 PM »

And ftr a US-based friend of mine advised my scrambling an exit plan. He is famously pessimistic, and going all-out would obviously be premature, but I've started carrying more cash with me, though most of it is drams.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #229 on: September 14, 2022, 01:21:44 PM »

There are protests at parliament! I get it, but somewhat mystifying, since hypothetically these people could all be put to better use.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #230 on: September 14, 2022, 01:26:25 PM »

There are protests at parliament! I get it, but somewhat mystifying, since hypothetically these people could all be put to better use.
video:

TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #231 on: September 14, 2022, 01:50:30 PM »
« Edited: September 14, 2022, 01:55:31 PM by TDAS04 »

The hatred the Azeris have towards the Armenians is intense and horrifying.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #232 on: September 14, 2022, 02:21:49 PM »

Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #233 on: September 14, 2022, 02:22:54 PM »

I heard on Twitter it was because Pashinyan said something to the effect of "I am only open to a negotiated peace agreement with Aliyev if it has robust and trustworthy security guarantees for Armenia" and this got spun in some media as "Pashinyan open to peace agreement with Aliyev!" But at this point, it's pretty much a game of telephone regardless and hard to say what the demonstrators are protesting for or against.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #234 on: September 14, 2022, 02:26:42 PM »

I heard on Twitter it was because Pashinyan said something to the effect of "I am only open to a negotiated peace agreement with Aliyev if it has robust and trustworthy security guarantees for Armenia" and this got spun in some media as "Pashinyan open to peace agreement with Aliyev!" But at this point, it's pretty much a game of telephone regardless and hard to say what the demonstrators are protesting for or against.

Leaving parliament now. Couldn't understand a word but terrifying stuff.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #235 on: September 14, 2022, 02:27:00 PM »

How have Russian-language media been covering this? Would they have a more accurate take on it?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #236 on: September 14, 2022, 02:29:25 PM »

Please stay safe, Cathcon. Keeping you and the Armenian people in my thoughts. No one deserves to go through this.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #237 on: September 14, 2022, 02:31:50 PM »

Wait, you're out there right now? Stay safe indeed. Jesus.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #238 on: September 14, 2022, 02:36:26 PM »

Only went for a few minutes as part of my duties as observer of history. Trust me, I'm in no mood for tear gas on a work night.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #239 on: September 14, 2022, 02:37:27 PM »

https://t.me/sputnik/13139

On phone so won't transcribe. You can read the caption.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #240 on: September 14, 2022, 02:40:43 PM »

Thanks for bringing this to us. I trust that you can stay safe.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #241 on: September 14, 2022, 02:58:04 PM »

Thanks guys, I am back at my host family's apartment.

In other news, I guess some clownd really want Kocharyan back.
https://t.me/sputnik/13140
There have been rumblings of a Kocharyan or Sargsyan return since the 2021 election, but they failed spectacularly at the polls and their protests have so far failed.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #242 on: September 14, 2022, 03:14:51 PM »

It’s genuinely appalling the lack of coverage this has gotten compared to the slightest discontent between Israel-Palestine.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #243 on: September 14, 2022, 03:30:37 PM »

Only went for a few minutes as part of my duties as observer of history. Trust me, I'm in no mood for tear gas on a work night.
Please be careful. I can easily see things turning ugly if it's realized that there's an American at this kind of protest.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #244 on: September 14, 2022, 04:28:36 PM »

It’s genuinely appalling the lack of coverage this has gotten compared to the slightest discontent between Israel-Palestine.
Well, at least you can count on Adam Schiff talking about this.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #245 on: September 14, 2022, 04:29:35 PM »

It seems Kazakhstan is seeking to signal neutrality (though this is, it must be noted, a pro-Azeri talking point in practice).
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #246 on: September 14, 2022, 04:37:16 PM »

It seems Kazakhstan is seeking to signal neutrality (though this is, it must be noted, a pro-Azeri talking point in practice).

A kick in the teeth for Armenia, who helped Tokayev when he activated Article 4 to clamp down on protesters.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #247 on: September 14, 2022, 04:37:49 PM »

I wonder how long it'll take until we start hearing the natsec ghouls say it's okay for Azerbaijan to ethnically cleanse Armenians because Russia and Armenia are allies.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #248 on: September 14, 2022, 04:46:07 PM »
« Edited: September 14, 2022, 04:49:52 PM by Southern Delegate and Atlasian AG Punxsutawney Phil »

I wonder how long it'll take until we start hearing the natsec ghouls say it's okay for Azerbaijan to ethnically cleanse Armenians because Russia and Armenia are allies.
I'm not sure if that would ever be kosher to word it that way. But iterations of both sides-ism would be almost guaranteed, especially since both sides have a history of ethnically cleansing each other. The true answer ought to be "neither side should ethnically cleanse", but sadly politics makes that complicated to put in place and we'd need to bridge differences with situational opponents to produce a framework to guarantee that. One should hope such an arrangement is possible. I'm not getting my hopes up too much though.

Given the Azeris are very well connected, they are likely to be stridently intransigent on this, and confidently so.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #249 on: September 14, 2022, 05:22:09 PM »

I'm seeing plenty of people saying it Armenia's fault for making a poor choice of allies, as if cutting ties with Russia would have caused the west favor them over Turkey and Azerbaijan. Then you also have the clowns who insist that Armenia needs to "accept reality" and improve relations with the country that still denies their genocide and the ethnonationist regime to their east, as if they would have been willing to do the same had they been in Armenia's position.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies