FT 17.04 - Curriculum Reform Act of 2020 (Statute)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:07:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  FT 17.04 - Curriculum Reform Act of 2020 (Statute)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FT 17.04 - Curriculum Reform Act of 2020 (Statute)  (Read 591 times)
Anna Komnene
Siren

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 24, 2020, 11:08:30 PM »
« edited: November 17, 2020, 08:12:07 PM by Anna Komnene »

A BILL
To authorize public high schools to implement courses of study pertaining to current events, general business, and civic legal education.

Be it enacted by the Parliament of Frémont assembled;
Section 1. Title

This legislation may be cited as the Curriculum Reform Act of 2020.

Section 2. Teaching of current events

Public high schools in the Commonwealth of Fremont are required to meet standards in civics through a course of study that emphasizes, at a minimum, comprehension of foundation factual knowledge in the following areas:

(A) World and local issues that affect students' everyday lives, such as economics, government, and conflict

(B) The values of bias in media and politics, both domestic and international

(C) Traditions, including beliefs, ethnicities, history, and personal values

(D) Policy and its practical applications

(E) Abroad political changes and movements

Section 3. General business education

Public high schools in the Commonwealth of Fremont are required to meet standards in civics through a course of study that emphasizes, at a minimum, comprehension of foundation factual knowledge in the following areas:

(A) Various economies, their role in our economy, entrepreneurship, marketing, managing financial and technological resources, and the use of social media

(B) Personal and business ethics

(C) Types of businesses, business components, and creating a business

(D) Management, Human Resources, marketing, and finance

Section 4. Basic legal education

(A) The basic elements of Atlasia's society and how people interact with the law from a practical standpoint

(B) Citizenship: rights, responsibilities, and legal obligations, and the process of becoming a citizen

(C) Local Laws and Government Ordinances and Zoning Permits
c1.) Townships and Boroughs
c2.) School Boards and Education
c3.) Municipal Services and Taxes
c4.) Appropriate and responsible ways to interact during a police confrontation

(D) County Laws and Government
d1.) Licenses, Prothonotary, Recorder of Deeds, etc.
d2.) Elections and Registration Services, Emergency, Housing, Domestic, etc.
d3.) Commonwealth Laws and Government Transportation
d4.) Local Representatives - state and local government
d5.) State and County Juvenile and Criminal Justice System
d6.) Criminal Law
d7.) Pre-trial, trial, and sentencing
d8.) District Attorney's Office Sheriff
d9.) Consumer Protection and Law
d10.) Federal Laws and Government

Section 5. Effectiveness

This act is effective starting at the 2022-2023 school year.
Sponsor: Scott

The floor is now open for a minimum of 72 hours of debate, fellow MPs.

The gentleman from Oregon is recognized.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 11:21:59 PM »

Thank you to Scott for writing this bill.

I'll keep this short. Especially in the modern age, where rock-solid facts are hard to find, it's important that our high schools educate students about how their nation - from the government and economy to the media - works. It will be easier for students to succeed if they have a working knowledge of our legal system, our economic system, and the world around them.

I yield for a comment.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 11:38:41 PM »

Although I am taking a break from Atlasia, I still feel an obligation to advocate for my own bill, and so I shall.

Folks, what's the most common complaint we hear from students these days? "When am I ever gonna use this in real life?!" And that is a valid concern, particularly as even our best and brightest students often experience difficulty transitioning into adulthood.

While it had originally been my intention to introduce a mandatory course in financial literacy, I did not do so because of an argument Santander posed in another thread - namely, that there is too much snake oil and too many opinions being passed off as facts in the world of financial advice, and different financial needs that vary from person to person. But we owe it to our students to educate them on how the business world actually works and how it affects them as consumers and current and future members of the workforce.

Our government should also support and facilitate any efforts to engage them in our democracy and world affairs. That includes informing them of their rights as Atlasian citizens, but also educating them on the practical implications of state, national, and international events and policies.

This bill seeks to further utilize education to even the playing field and create more engaged citizens and critical thinkers: a responsibility, I feel, that we have passed so much on to the colleges and institutions of higher learning that we have forgotten the core objective of a basic K-12 education.

I urge Parliament to pass this bill, and set an example for other regions by making Frémont the nation's leader in education!
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 06:13:07 PM »

I am generally suspicious of efforts to pile more and more social responsibilities on the public school system, but the three civics courses outlined by this bill are indeed essential components of any program that purports to prepare children for citizenship in a free state. The member from Oregon makes and excellent point with regard to the scarcity of reliable information in this day and age, and our schools are well-positioned to establish a common set of facts from which soon-to-be-adults can extrapolate their own values and beliefs.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 11:29:49 PM »

It's a good idea to make sure students get access to some of these ideas that usually get left until college. Nobody should have to go to college to learn important life skills. I think it would also help students who might be interested in business/law to get a taste of it before college to see if they actually like it. I'll have to think about anything to add, but I like this bill.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2020, 02:41:16 PM »

I think this is a good idea but I don't like the idea of general business education. I think entrepreneurship should be prioritized over gen business. Gen business doesn't really do anything for a student. A student could just google most of that information. But a class or two dedicated to teaching entrepreneurship is something every high school should have
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2020, 11:52:42 PM »

I think this is a good idea but I don't like the idea of general business education. I think entrepreneurship should be prioritized over gen business. Gen business doesn't really do anything for a student. A student could just google most of that information. But a class or two dedicated to teaching entrepreneurship is something every high school should have

Could you elaborate on the difference? What changes would you make?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2020, 06:38:36 PM »

How do you separate entrepreneurship from general business? Tongue
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2020, 01:53:38 AM »

A general business class usually just teaches broad topics. Think of it like an intro to political science. It doesn't go deep into different topics such as finance, accounting, supply-chain, etc.

What I would do is scrap that entire part and we should work together on creating a class or two dedicated solely to entrepreneurship. You could just make like the first 3-4 weeks of the class an intro to gen business
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2020, 02:21:57 AM »
« Edited: September 28, 2020, 02:25:22 AM by Scott🦋 »

A general business class usually just teaches broad topics. Think of it like an intro to political science. It doesn't go deep into different topics such as finance, accounting, supply-chain, etc.

What I would do is scrap that entire part and we should work together on creating a class or two dedicated solely to entrepreneurship. You could just make like the first 3-4 weeks of the class an intro to gen business

Like Siren, I'd still appreciate a more specific outline of what you're proposing, but if you want to collaborate on this then a Discord meeting might be appropriate.

Don't forget we can't be too detailed about finance, or at least detailed to the point where we run the risk of bias and the above mentioned problems that caused me to abandon the idea.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2020, 01:45:47 PM »

Like Siren, I'd still appreciate a more specific outline of what you're proposing, but if you want to collaborate on this then a Discord meeting might be appropriate.

Don't forget we can't be too detailed about finance, or at least detailed to the point where we run the risk of bias and the above mentioned problems that caused me to abandon the idea.

we can do it on discord
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2020, 12:23:28 AM »

Now that I'm back I'm ready to get back to work on this. Would you be able to discuss this on Discord some time this week?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2020, 01:56:47 AM »

Given that DeadPrez has made a grand total of three posts in the last month and has yet to present his ideas to us either on Discord or in this thread, I move for a final vote.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2020, 11:50:32 AM »

Symbolic motion here but I move to transfer sponsorship back to Scott if it hasn't been done already.

Seconding motion to vote. I think we're done here.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2020, 12:23:18 PM »

Sure, Scott can be sponsor again if he wants.

And with no objections, we'll now have a final vote on this bill. Members please vote AYE, NAY, or ABSTAIN.

A BILL
To authorize public high schools to implement courses of study pertaining to current events, general business, and civic legal education.

Section 1. Title

(A) World and local issues that affect students' everyday lives, such as economics, government, and conflict

(A) Various economies, their role in our economy, entrepreneurship, marketing, managing financial and technological resources, and the use of social media

(A) The basic elements of Atlasia's society and how people interact with the law from a practical standpoint

(B) Citizenship: rights, responsibilities, and legal obligations, and the process of becoming a citizen

d6.) Criminal Law

Section 5. Effectiveness

OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2020, 12:40:09 PM »

AYE
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2020, 01:15:40 PM »

I accept sponsorship. Not that it matters at this point. Tongue

Aye
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2020, 05:31:18 PM »

Aye!
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2020, 11:58:58 PM »

Nay
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2020, 01:49:57 PM »

Aye
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2020, 02:51:54 PM »
« Edited: November 04, 2020, 02:55:13 PM by Anna Komnene »

With 4 votes in favor and 1 vote against, this bill passes the Frémont Parliament. It now awaits the First Minister's action.

A BILL

Section 1. Title

d6.) Criminal Law

Section 5. Effectiveness

Frémont House of Commons
Passed 4-0-1 in the Frémont Parliament Assembled,

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2020, 12:58:06 AM »

Truman?
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2020, 06:50:34 PM »

A BILL

Section 1. Title

d6.) Criminal Law

Section 5. Effectiveness

Frémont House of Commons
Passed 4-0-1 in the Frémont Parliament Assembled,

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies