College Recruitment for the Military Protection Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 06:35:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  College Recruitment for the Military Protection Bill
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: College Recruitment for the Military Protection Bill  (Read 25820 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2006, 03:17:04 PM »

Public institutions can all the time refuse to let in other insitutions.  I don't see public universities being allowed throughout military bases!  This bill holds the military in higher regard than the university!  The larger the military you have, the more expensive to the taxpayer.  Assuming I didn't miss some change between the U.S. and Atlasia, Atlasia has nukes, cruise missiles, and tanks.  You don't need many people to operate those and we shouldn't be needing to use those much either.

You don't know much about the military. This is necessary.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2006, 06:31:39 PM »

I've said it once so I'll say it again for a public university to refuse to allow the military to recruit on its campuses smacks of political activism, which I strongly disapprove of, on the part of such universities who do refuse to allow the military on their campuses

It's our military who will be allowed to recruit, should this Bill pass and be signed into Law, after all. There'll be no badgering. Those who want to approach the military for more information about joining are free to do so, those who don't are free to walk pass. Given some objections, any one would think this was going to force students to sign up Roll Eyes

'Hawk'
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2006, 06:36:25 PM »

The larger the military you have, the more expensive to the taxpayer.  Assuming I didn't miss some change between the U.S. and Atlasia, Atlasia has nukes, cruise missiles, and tanks.  You don't need many people to operate those and we shouldn't be needing to use those much either.

That's a strongly inaccurate view of the military. Sure, we have advanced technology, but we still need strong manpower if we are going to be an active presence around the world. People can do things powerful weapons never will be able to.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2006, 07:42:23 PM »

Public institutions can all the time refuse to let in other insitutions.  I don't see public universities being allowed throughout military bases!  This bill holds the military in higher regard than the university!  The larger the military you have, the more expensive to the taxpayer.  Assuming I didn't miss some change between the U.S. and Atlasia, Atlasia has nukes, cruise missiles, and tanks.  You don't need many people to operate those and we shouldn't be needing to use those much either.

That may be one of, if not the most, uninformed post ever posted on this forum.

Your proposition is useless unless you propose that our only possible response to any military incident is to A. lob cruise missiles or B. fire nuclear missiles at the enemy.
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2006, 09:17:51 PM »

Your proposition is useless unless you propose that our only possible response to any military incident is to A. lob cruise missiles or B. fire nuclear missiles at the enemy.

No, I'm just saying a smaller military would make more sense.  We don't need it to be so large.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2006, 10:14:33 PM »
« Edited: May 21, 2006, 10:20:02 PM by AFCJ TCash »

No, I'm just saying a smaller military would make more sense.  We don't need it to be so large.

Roll Eyes

This should not be about the military. It should be about the sovereignty of the regions.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2006, 04:58:06 AM »

This should not be about the military. It should be about the sovereignty of the regions.

An interesting point, backed up by this Southeast initiative (which ultimately failed, but that's besides the point):
http://geocities.com/southeastgov/init0100.html
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2006, 10:11:22 AM »

I hereby open up the vote on this amendment. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

1. No public college or university shall be permitted to prohibit recruiters from the Atlasian Military to recruit on campus.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2006, 10:12:11 AM »

Aye
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2006, 10:35:29 AM »

Aye to both the previous amendment FTR and to the amendment currently under consideration.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2006, 02:06:48 PM »

Aye to the amendment.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2006, 04:26:04 PM »

yea
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2006, 08:03:18 PM »

Aye

'Hawk'
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2006, 08:17:39 PM »

aye.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2006, 05:56:26 AM »

This amendment has passed.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2006, 06:04:04 AM »

I hereby open up the final vote on this bill. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

1. No public college or university shall be permitted to prohibit recruiters from the Atlasian Military to recruit on campus.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2006, 06:04:29 AM »

Aye
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2006, 06:26:16 AM »

Nay.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2006, 06:52:35 AM »

Nope
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2006, 11:16:25 AM »

Aye.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2006, 02:01:08 PM »

Aye
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2006, 03:24:48 PM »

*boos*

I can see crazy conservative nuts Smiley like good ol' Master jedi Wink voting aye, but you Earl?  What a violation of principles!  I urge you to change your vote because forcing the military upon our nation is not a good thing.  If you're looking for more volunteers, don't stalk them!  Just set up shop in town and real volunteers will come and you can recruit at places that allow you.  But the Atlasian military has no mandated place in our regional universities.

Therefore, I strongly urge you to change your vote.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2006, 03:36:07 PM »

After much consideration, I vote aye. Our military is in need of soldiers, and as long as recruiters do not get agressive, no one's rights are violated.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2006, 03:39:06 PM »

*boos*

I can see crazy conservative nuts Smiley like good ol' Master jedi Wink voting aye, but you Earl?  What a violation of principles!  I urge you to change your vote because forcing the military upon our nation is not a good thing.  If you're looking for more volunteers, don't stalk them!  Just set up shop in town and real volunteers will come and you can recruit at places that allow you.  But the Atlasian military has no mandated place in our regional universities.

Therefore, I strongly urge you to change your vote.

My nay vote was also based on the fact that universities are funded by the regions; I don't see the necessary justification here for the federal government to force this on the regional governments.  I also have doubts about how useful this use of force will be; if the recruiters honestly are just sitting there and letting people come and volunteer, I fail to see how that's any different than the military recruiters being in some office in a city where people can drop by and sign up - unless, of course, they instead are planning to actively begin interactions with students, which is another thing I'm worried about.
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2006, 03:50:21 PM »

I think this definitely steps up to the line, if not quite over (and it may very well be over), of Article 1 Section 6 Clause 7 of the Second Constitution.

"No Law requiring any action to be taken or to be not taken by a Region shall be passed"

It is a regional matter (these are regional universities), the Senate has no place, unless you possibly argue that federal funds justify it, but this bill goes beyond federally funded universities.  I would consdier bringing this to the Supreme Court if it passes.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies