S.20.3-21: Nicotine Discount Prohibition Act (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:22:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S.20.3-21: Nicotine Discount Prohibition Act (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: S.20.3-21: Nicotine Discount Prohibition Act (Law'd)  (Read 801 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 24, 2020, 01:31:29 PM »
« edited: October 03, 2020, 12:21:08 PM by tmthforu94 »

A BILL FOR AN ACT
relating to coupons and discounts for nicotine products

BE IT ENACTED BY THE SOUTHERN CHAMBER RESOLVED.

Section 1, TITLE & DEFINITIONS.
i. The title of this Act shall be, the "Nicotine Discount Prohibition Act."
ii. “Product with nicotine” and “product containing nicotine” both refer to any commercial product that contains the stimulant nicotine, which includes, but is not limited to:
   a. Cigarettes
   b. Cigars
   c. Pipe tobacco
   d. Chewing tobacco
   e. Snuff tobacco, whether wet or dry
   f. Electronic cigarettes
iii. Clause (ii) of this section does not include nicotine lozenges, nicotine patches, or nicotine gum.
iv. “Coupon” refers to any instrument or mechanism, either print or digital, that provides the consumer who redeems it with a product or bundle of products containing nicotine at either no cost or a cost lower than the listed retail price.

Section 2, COUPONS.
i. No commercial distributor of products containing nicotine shall accept or redeem any coupon for said products within the borders of the Southern Region.
ii. No magazine, newspaper, or other publication is allowed to distribute coupons for products containing nicotine within the Southern Region.
iii. A Southern citizen who wishes to redeem a coupon for products with nicotine is permitted to do so in another region that permits coupons for said products, and is also permitted to use those products purchased with it within the Southern Region.
iv. An establishment caught accepting coupons for products with nicotine will be given a fine of $15,000 for each incident.

Section 3, ENACTMENT CLAUSE.
i. This act shall take effect on the first (1st) day of the January after final enactment by the legislature of the Southern Region.
ii. Coupons that are invalid and/or non-redeemable on or before the thirty-first (31st) day of December 2020 are not subject to this law.

Sponsor: Koopa

Minimum 48 hours for debate. The sponsor is invited to advocate for the bill.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 02:56:56 PM »
« Edited: September 24, 2020, 05:28:32 PM by KoopaDaQuick »

Thank you TM for putting this on the floor, thank you to Weatherboy for proofreading the text, and thank you to the Chamber for your time.

The core idea of this bill is that no commercial establishment in the Southern Region should be allowed to distribute coupons (and other instruments that allow for discounts) for the purchase of products containing nicotine. As I assume most of you are aware, nicotine is a highly addictive chemical that can cause extreme long term damage to the human body. The logic behind an establishment giving out coupons for a product is to encourage more people to purchase said product. With products that project little to no harm, such as cheese, deodorant, and other products you might find at a grocery store or supermarket, this is no big issue. But providing the consumers with coupons for nicotine products is really indirectly asking the consumer to buy tobacco, which could easily lead to addiction. We wouldn't see an advertisement for Marlboros or Camels on television, so why allow coupons for them to get distributed across the Southern Region? Therefore, in the name of preventing the health of Southerners from getting compromised due to nicotine addiction, I urge my fellow delegates to support this bill.

I yield the floor.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 03:14:40 PM »

This has my support and I will vote for final passage. Thank you Koopa for introducing this.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 03:45:08 PM »

Very good bill! I don't think there's anything that needs to change here.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 06:44:38 PM »

A BILL FOR AN ACT

ii. “Product with nicotine” and “product containing nicotine” both refer to any commercial product that contains the stimulant nicotine, which includes, but is not limited to:
   a. Cigarettes
   b. Cigars
   c. Pipe tobacco
   d. Chewing tobacco
   f. Electronic cigarettes
iii. Clause (ii) of this section does not include nicotine lozenges, nicotine patches, or nicotine gum.
iv. “Coupon” refers to any instrument or mechanism, either print or digital, that provides the consumer who redeems it with a product or bundle of products containing nicotine at either no cost or a cost lower than the listed retail price.

Section 2, COUPONS.
i. No commercial distributor of products containing nicotine shall accept or redeem any coupon for said products within the borders of the Southern Region.
ii. No magazine, newspaper, or other publication is allowed to distribute coupons for products containing nicotine within the Southern Region.
iii. A Southern citizen who wishes to redeem a coupon for products with nicotine is permitted to do so in another region that permits coupons for said products, and is also permitted to use those products purchased with it within the Southern Region.
iv. An establishment caught accepting coupons for products with nicotine will be given with a fine of $X for each incident.

i. This act shall take effect on the first (1st) day of the January after final enactment by the legislature of the Southern Region.
ii. Coupons that are invalid and/or non-redeemable on or before the thirty-first (31st) day of December 2020 are not subject to this law.

minor grammatical fix lol
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2020, 06:50:26 PM »

24 hours for objections.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2020, 09:34:25 PM »

By the way, once the objection period closes, I would love to hear a ballpark for the fine we should charge for accepting these coupons so I can get rid of the '$X' in §2.3. Tongue
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2020, 10:00:52 PM »

The amendment has been adopted, debate resumes.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2020, 09:02:59 AM »

Do we think that $15,000 per violation is fair? Maybe too low? Maybe too high?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2020, 03:58:01 PM »

Offering an amendment:

A BILL FOR AN ACT

a. Cigarettes
   b. Cigars
   c. Pipe tobacco
   d. Chewing tobacco
   f. Electronic cigarettes

Section 2, COUPONS.
iv. An establishment caught accepting coupons for products with nicotine will be given a fine of $15,000 for each incident.

24 hours for objections.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2020, 06:38:49 PM »

The amendment is adopted.

I am calling for a final vote, 24 hours to object.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2020, 06:40:25 PM »

A final vote has started, please vote AYE, NAY or ABSTAIN.

Aye
diptheriadan

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2020, 07:13:44 PM »

Aye
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2020, 07:21:51 PM »

Aye
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2020, 10:48:13 PM »

Aye
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.10, S: 4.96

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2020, 10:58:45 PM »

nay
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2020, 08:43:31 AM »

Aye
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2020, 11:01:01 AM »

Aye
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2020, 11:03:36 AM »

With all delegates voting, this has passed by a vote of 6-1 and will be presented to the governor for signature.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2020, 06:15:56 AM »

A BILL FOR AN ACT

a. Cigarettes
 b. Cigars
 c. Pipe tobacco
 d. Chewing tobacco
 f. Electronic cigarettes

Section 2, COUPONS.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies