Who would be Puerto Rico's first senators?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 04:31:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Who would be Puerto Rico's first senators?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who would be Puerto Rico's first senators?  (Read 693 times)
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 23, 2020, 12:38:45 PM »

Title, assuming Puerto Rico's referendum is in favor of statehood and Congress admits it by the end of 2021, who would its senators be? For the GOP, I assume Jenniffer Gonzalez and Governor Wanda Vazquez Garced would be frontrunners. For the Dems it's a little more hairy since the local center-left party is anti statehood, but I feel like Charlie Rodriguez and Pedro Pierluisi (if he decides to leave the governor's mansion, which he's running for in 2020) would be frontrunners. Thoughts?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 04:34:48 PM »

AOC and Sonia Sotomayor.

More seriously, I imagine they’d put up someone from the PPD and someone from the PNP, in addition to one Democrat and one Republican. Mainland Dems would love Carmen Yulín Cruz but I don’t think she’s as beloved on the island as she is here.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 09:30:37 PM »

Jenniffer Gonzalez seems very obvious as one of them, given that she's the incumbent Resident Commissioner and quite popular. I don't know who the other one would be but I'd imagine there'd be a lot of resistance to a second Republican.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 12:18:14 AM »

Jenniffer Gonzalez seems very obvious as one of them, given that she's the incumbent Resident Commissioner and quite popular. I don't know who the other one would be but I'd imagine there'd be a lot of resistance to a second Republican.

What's going to happen is that Democrats will admit Puerto Rico because it's the right thing to do regardless of politics, PR will send a Democrat and Gonzalez, and Republicans will spend weeks mocking Democrats about how their Senate pack backfired, even though it was never intended as a pack in the first place...
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 02:08:17 PM »

What's going to happen is that Democrats will admit Puerto Rico because it's the right thing to do regardless of politics, PR will send a Democrat and Gonzalez, and Republicans will spend weeks mocking Democrats about how their Senate pack backfired, even though it was never intended as a pack in the first place...

Yeah, and I can see the state essentially being a swing vote that the Republicans blow due to how they handle it.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2020, 05:21:46 AM »

Who will be it’s first representatives??? I am picturing a Mississippi sized delegation.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2020, 02:00:05 PM »

Do we know, though, whether the parties on the ballot would be D/R or PNP/PDP?

Also Vázquez just lost the PNP gubernatorial primary, so this could have some bearing on her standing in a Republican primary.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2020, 02:01:09 PM »

Gonzalez makes sense, though she could stay in the House as well and run for one of the CD's. I do think that Puerto Rico as a state will be open to splitting its ticket for Senate while being solidly Democratic on the presidential level and that local politics will win out over national politics in many races. As for the other Senator, probably a Democrat, though I'm not sure who.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2020, 10:53:31 AM »

Pedro Pierluisi?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to: