Trump campaign trying to put loyal electors in battleground states
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 12:27:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Trump campaign trying to put loyal electors in battleground states
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Trump campaign trying to put loyal electors in battleground states  (Read 2362 times)
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2020, 06:10:00 PM »

No GOP state legislature would go along with this.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2020, 06:11:24 PM »

Electors have the constitutional right to choose whoever they want, so there is nothing wrong with this.

This is changing the electoral slate, not convincing the winning electors to vote against their pledge.

And no they don't. The Supreme Court ruled this year that electors can be bound to vote for the candidate they are pledged to, and most states do require that.
woodley park

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2020, 06:14:28 PM »

Anyone claiming that they openly support this should be banned for this forum, forever. You're clearly not here to contribute and are in fact an anathema for this forum; if you support a dictatorship, you don't belong here. Frankly, coming to a message board where we passionately discuss free and fair elections and saying that you support a dictatorship is a waste of our time and yours. We'll all be better off without you here, yourself included.

This subject matter of this article is obviously deeply concerning. I totally believe the Trump campaign is talking about this, especially now with Eric Trump in the crosshairs of an ongoing investigation that will undoubtedly implicate the President. It is comforting that Florida GOP officials say that they are not entertaining this notion, though frankly, what else are they going to say? Once they cross the Rubicon, there is no coming back. Election night will be fraught with tension.
politics_king
United States

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2020, 06:14:38 PM »

Still Trump is dog whistling to his far-right supporters to cause chaos. This is gonna put strain on the Police, the Feds and possibly Military. Just wait until they turn their attention from the far-left onto them.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2020, 06:28:57 PM »

You underestimate the intensity of the Trump cult.

Even in Utah, the home of the last surviving anti-Trump Republicans, there was serious talk of trying to recall Romney after his impeachment vote.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2020, 06:38:25 PM »

I can't wait until I don't have to hear the name "Trump" ever again. Also, if this happens, the Electoral College should be ABOLISHED.

If this happens, we won't have to worry about things like the electoral college or voting at all.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2020, 06:40:38 PM »

The obvious consequences of this would be unrest unlike anything seen since the American Civil War, and that's just domestically. No American allies would acknowledge Trump's administration as a legitimate government, nor would the states accounting for the vast majority of the country's economy. This would be a disaster, of course, but if the GOP were to pull this, the end result would not be four more years of Donald Trump as President of the United States (the country as we know it).
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2020, 06:41:23 PM »

Shouldn't be surprised by this, I know Republicans hate democracy but it's still shocking to read such a blatant example of that fact
politics_king
United States

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2020, 06:43:22 PM »

We would literally have to rely on the Intelligence agencies to help us fight. But I can't see a bunch of people who swore an Oath to blindly follow this Orange turd.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2020, 06:44:28 PM »

We would literally have to rely on the Intelligence agencies to help us fight. But I can't see a bunch of people who swore an Oath to blindly follow this Orange turd.

Well, they're certainly good at getting us to fight after every intelligence agency said Iraq had WMD.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2020, 06:45:46 PM »

Even in Utah, the home of the last surviving anti-Trump Republicans, there was serious talk of trying to recall Romney after his impeachment vote.

Elected Republicans tolerate Trump as long as he's more useful than not, but they would gladly do away with him if they could get away with it. They will not destroy themselves to save a sinking Trump ship (which he would be, in this scenario).

As per Romney, there's a big difference between someone sabotaging your ship vs. a ship being destroyed by an enemy.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2020, 06:51:29 PM »

Elected Republicans tolerate Trump as long as he's more useful than not, but they would gladly do away with him if they could get away with it. They will not destroy themselves to save a sinking Trump ship (which he would be, in this scenario).

Hope your right but Republicans have never given any reason to believe they have any principles that they wouldn't sell out for a political win. I wouldn't trust a single one to ever do the right thing
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2020, 07:05:26 PM »
« Edited: September 23, 2020, 07:10:53 PM by EastOfEden »

Hope your right but Republicans have never given any reason to believe they have any principles that they wouldn't sell out for a political win. I wouldn't trust a single one to ever do the right thing

I do have some faint hope that maybe some elected Republicans are only pretending to be Trumpists in order to avoid being primaried by true believers (Lindsey Graham seems to be a likely one). Doesn’t make them any less “deplorable,” but maybe we can expect some sanity from them after Trump is gone.
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2020, 07:08:38 PM »

lol all the red avatars are speaking in favor of faithless electors. Only a couple months ago they were all against them in fear that they could stop a Biden victory.

You couldn’t be more wrong.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2020, 07:33:05 PM »

Turns out having our entire election apparatus run on what essentially amounts to an honor system was a bad idea.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2020, 07:41:09 PM »

The Supreme Court said this year that states can remove and penalise faithless electors (it was a unanimous decision), so no, electors don't have a total right to choose whoever they want. I'm not sure which of the swing states have such laws in place though.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2020, 08:18:48 PM »

The ones I can think of that might are Wisconsin and Georgia. If Georgia is close enough for the GA-GOP to try something like this, then Trump has lost the election and it won't matter even if they succeed in throwing out the Dem electors and seating Republican ones. Wisconsin is the real worry.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2020, 08:22:31 PM »

The Supreme Court said this year that states can remove and penalise faithless electors (it was a unanimous decision), so no, electors don't have a total right to choose whoever they want. I'm not sure which of the swing states have such laws in place though.

But what about replacing the entire slate of electors regardless of the state's vote?
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2020, 08:41:34 PM »

If Trump managed to make this an article of faith in parts of the base, even legislators who are considered "institutionalists" because they're not fans of this kind of coup might feel the risk was worth it given the probable alternative (an elevated chance of a primary challenge).

I don't think it's likely in 2020, but pushing this lays the groundwork for it to become a policy commitment down the line.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2020, 12:15:36 AM »

Weird how no one has mentioned that if the Pennsylvania legislature were to try to amend Pennsylvania's statute on elector selection Wolf could just veto the bill and that's the end.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2020, 12:31:24 AM »

I' trying to stay calm. I'm trying to game this out. I read the full Atlantic article (it's loooong). No one can really predict with any certainty how successful or unsuccessful trump will ultimately be at trying to essentially light tens of millions of mail ballots on fire. Even in states with democratic SOS's and governors, there's too many tricks he and Barr could pull to deny people their right to vote. Who's going to stop them if they do what they did in Portland to inner-city polling places in swing states?

For the first time in my life, I'm seriously considering buying a weapon.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2020, 12:42:43 AM »

The obvious consequences of this would be unrest unlike anything seen since the American Civil War, and that's just domestically. No American allies would acknowledge Trump's administration as a legitimate government, nor would the states accounting for the vast majority of the country's economy. This would be a disaster, of course, but if the GOP were to pull this, the end result would not be four more years of Donald Trump as President of the United States (the country as we know it).

This was Putin's goal all along. Chaos. A weak America at war with itself. Fake news running wild on FB. Leaderless. Increasingly irrelevant and diminished. He's poisoned this country the same way his goons poison his political opponents, and he found many Americans jumping at the chance to help him do this to our country among the republican party.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2020, 12:50:14 AM »

What makes you so sure of that? 99% of Republicans roll over for the guy.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2020, 01:03:01 AM »

Weird how no one has mentioned that if the Pennsylvania legislature were to try to amend Pennsylvania's statute on elector selection Wolf could just veto the bill and that's the end.

Would that be the same in MI and WI as well or are there veto-proof majorities there? Those two and Florida are my biggest concern.
Stockdale for Veep

« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2020, 01:10:26 AM »

"I can still Veto stuff."

- Evers 2022 !
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies