Biden's Speech at Philadelphia about the Supreme Court
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:59:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden's Speech at Philadelphia about the Supreme Court
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Biden's Speech at Philadelphia about the Supreme Court  (Read 2095 times)
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2020, 05:29:09 PM »

In this speech, Biden said that he would "consult" with Republicans about his Supreme Court pick. I hope that was just a "diplomatic" answer for the cameras because there is no reason for him to be "consulting" with Senate Republicans about his Supreme Court pick or picks.

That line will further frustrate some progressives who feel that Biden "will just nominate some right-wing or centrist judge. Why should I vote?". I'm voting for Biden but sometimes he's a bit too "diplomatic" and "nice".

This is 100% Biden.  Biden is an old school, Senate institutionalist.  He believes that the Obama-Trump era of partisanship is a aberration that he is morally and personally prepared to correct.  This is a major theme that Biden stresses in his campaign.  His politics are straight out of the 1980s.  He is not a candidate for our time. 

Which is exactly why he appeals to people during a time of crisis. He is calming and comforting in a way none of the other candidates were. I think it's an underrated reason for his Super Tuesday surge.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2020, 05:30:19 PM »

In this speech, Biden said that he would "consult" with Republicans about his Supreme Court pick. I hope that was just a "diplomatic" answer for the cameras because there is no reason for him to be "consulting" with Senate Republicans about his Supreme Court pick or picks.

That line will further frustrate some progressives who feel that Biden "will just nominate some right-wing or centrist judge. Why should I vote?". I'm voting for Biden but sometimes he's a bit too "diplomatic" and "nice".

This is 100% Biden.  Biden is an old school, Senate institutionalist.  He believes that the Obama-Trump era of partisanship is a aberration that he is morally and personally prepared to correct.  This is a major theme that Biden stresses in his campaign.  His politics are straight out of the 1980s.  He is not a candidate for our time. 

Okay? Is this....bad?
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2020, 05:37:21 PM »

Isn't that a good thing? Do you want endless polarization and things as simple as masks or mail being politicized?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2020, 05:39:09 PM »

Which is exactly why he appeals to people during a time of crisis. He is calming and comforting in a way none of the other candidates were. I think it's an underrated reason for his Super Tuesday surge.

I don’t think so.  Democratic primary voters got Biden in because he won the electability argument, nothing more.  The anti-Bernie vote consolidated so quickly because most Dems thought Sanders would blow an election vs Trump.

This aspect of Biden’s politics makes him a fish out of water in 2020.  Both bases see the other as moral opponents, not reluctant partners in governing.  Biden’s propensity to play with McConnell and McCarthy could hamstring his own ability to command his party in Congress. . 
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2020, 05:42:16 PM »

Okay? Is this....bad?

Uhhhm....I’m giving you the reason why Biden sometimes sounds too “diplomatic” and “nice” for you.  It’s a criticism of him you yourself raised, lol.  There’s nothing normative in my post.

Maybe you shouldn’t go around getting defensive just because a scary “R-MS” avatar corroborates your own post lol 
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2020, 05:44:28 PM »

Okay? Is this....bad?

Uhhhm....I’m giving you the reason why Biden sometimes sounds too “diplomatic” and “nice” for you.  It’s a criticism of him you yourself raised, lol.  There’s nothing normative in my post.

Maybe you shouldn’t go around getting defensive just because a scary “R-MS” avatar corroborates your own post lol 
You might need your glasses or something lol. I made that post not KaiserDave.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2020, 05:47:01 PM »

I don’t think so.  Democratic primary voters got Biden in because he won the electability argument, nothing more.  The anti-Bernie vote consolidated so quickly because most Dems thought Sanders would blow an election vs Trump.

This aspect of Biden’s politics makes him a fish out of water in 2020.  Both bases see the other as moral opponents, not reluctant partners in governing.  Biden’s propensity to play with McConnell and McCarthy could hamstring his own ability to command his party in Congress. . 

Yeah you are trying really way too hard to bend yourself into a pretzel to make this out to be something bad for Biden when it's clearly not.

Trying to be bipartisan is never a bad thing in voters eyes.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2020, 05:49:51 PM »

Okay? Is this....bad?

Wat
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2020, 05:52:21 PM »

At 12:30 he says "200,000 people have died."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml5-xY3P8L4

it's obviously a mis-speak.

In other news, I'm honestly not that satisfied with this speech.  I don't think he makes a compelling case for his position.  Biden's people need to sharpen the language and work some focus groups.

According to Ipsos, 62% of the public agrees with his position, so.

He just needs to make it more clear what his position is.

He said early in the speech that the only "rule" he cares about is the rule of the constitution -- that the president gets to appoint a nominee, and the Senate must advise and consent.  That's a pretty clear argument that what the Republicans did in 2016 was wrong.

But then later on he says that the nomination hearings should be delayed until after the election, and that if he is elected then he should be allowed to pick the nominee.

The two seem contradictory.  He doesn't clearly explain how they're not.

That doesn't sound contradictory to me. The nomination hearing for whoever wins the president SHOULD be delayed until after the election
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2020, 05:52:49 PM »

Yeah you are trying really way too hard to bend yourself into a pretzel to make this out to be something bad for Biden when it's clearly not.

Trying to be bipartisan is never a bad thing in voters eyes.

It will affect his governing ability and relationship with the base.  Biden making gestures of bipartisanship toward McConnell would draw ire from 90 percent of Democrats on this board, lol
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2020, 11:58:42 PM »

2020 sucks. I'm glad Biden's not a candidate of our time.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2020, 12:07:35 AM »
« Edited: September 21, 2020, 12:41:03 AM by Roll Roons »

Bernie vs. Trump would have been the s**tshow that is 2020 in a nutshell. As a never Trump Republican, it's nice to have an acceptable alternative.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2020, 12:14:00 AM »

Buttigeg and even Klobouchar were far better moderate candidates. Biden is looking to do nothing while he’s in power for a return for a #return to normalcy.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2020, 12:39:41 AM »

Buttigeg and even Klobouchar were far better moderate candidates. Biden is looking to do nothing while he’s in power for a return for a #return to normalcy.

I can't believe it's September and people are still saying this.  Biden gives speeches and interviews every single day where he rattles off laundry lists of things he wants to do in office.  If you still seriously believe that "Biden is looking to do nothing" then you are beyond hopeless.  Either that or you just aren't paying attention to the election at all.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2020, 01:22:32 AM »

I can't believe it's September and people are still saying this.  Biden gives speeches and interviews every single day where he rattles off laundry lists of things he wants to do in office.  If you still seriously believe that "Biden is looking to do nothing" then you are beyond hopeless.  Either that or you just aren't paying attention to the election at all.

I'm sure Biden wants to do things, he just won't do those things to compromise and be an unifier. I'm voting for him either way cause I'm not entitled.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2020, 08:27:29 AM »

Oh I hope he goes full Kennedy and lists all the 5-4 decisions from ACA to Roe to Obergefell and says we are going full Gilead if those are decided the other way. Fear is the most powerful human emotion there is. The Democrats can fearmonger suburban women, too.
If that is his approach, he won't be getting my vote, for the same reason that Hilary Clinton talking that way in 2016 pushed me away from supporting her.
Sounds like someone who was never planning on voting Democratic to begin with.

Oh I hope he goes full Kennedy and lists all the 5-4 decisions from ACA to Roe to Obergefell and says we are going full Gilead if those are decided the other way. Fear is the most powerful human emotion there is. The Democrats can fearmonger suburban women, too.

If that is his approach, he won't be getting my vote, for the same reason that Hilary Clinton talking that way in 2016 pushed me away from supporting her.

"Yes, Trump is absolutely horrible, completely incompetent, and dedicates himself every day to destroying our democracy and infecting our government with corruption and polarization.  But Biden had better be careful, if he uses standard political rhetoric that I don't like then I'll vote for Trump anyway to spite him."

said no one who was actually going to vote for Biden ever!

Well, I have voted early, two days ago, and I did vote for Biden. I did so because: A) I could not find a third-party candidate whose views on Supreme Court appointments are acceptable to me, B) Judge Sri Srinivasan is often mentioned as a possible appointee by Biden, and C) Donald Trump is absolutely the worst President we have ever had, even worse than Jimmy Carter, and he deserves a strong electoral rebuke this year.

So there. You guys did not have me pegged after all.
cwh2018
Rookie
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2020, 08:38:47 AM »

I don't see Srinivansan getting on the court now unless the dems get the Barrett appointment rejected.  I think he was the favourite for the Breyer seat assuming that Biden got to keep his promise and replace RBG with the first black woman supreme court justice.  If dems have the senate Biden I assume will want to keep his promise when replacing Breyer. Thomas or Alito will not willing step down with Biden in the White house and if the GOP control the senate any appointment will be blocked.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies