Biden's Speech at Philadelphia about the Supreme Court
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:13:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden's Speech at Philadelphia about the Supreme Court
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Biden's Speech at Philadelphia about the Supreme Court  (Read 2069 times)
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 20, 2020, 06:58:30 AM »

American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 07:47:02 AM »

forza nocta

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2020, 08:00:38 AM »

I saw that he’s focusing on the future of healthcare, but I hope they touch on women’s rights and Roe v Wade as well
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2020, 08:03:50 AM »

Oh I hope he goes full Kennedy and lists all the 5-4 decisions from ACA to Roe to Obergefell and says we are going full Gilead if those are decided the other way. Fear is the most powerful human emotion there is. The Democrats can fearmonger suburban women, too.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2020, 08:08:52 AM »

Oh I hope he goes full Kennedy and lists all the 5-4 decisions from ACA to Roe to Obergefell and says we are going full Gilead if those are decided the other way. Fear is the most powerful human emotion there is. The Democrats can fearmonger suburban women, too.
Dems did this masterfully in 2012.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2020, 10:32:31 AM »

If that is his approach, he won't be getting my vote, for the same reason that Hilary Clinton talking that way in 2016 pushed me away from supporting her.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2020, 10:35:10 AM »

If that is his approach, he won't be getting my vote, for the same reason that Hilary Clinton talking that way in 2016 pushed me away from supporting her.

Sounds like someone who was never planning on voting Democratic to begin with.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2020, 10:46:49 AM »

"Yes, Trump is absolutely horrible, completely incompetent, and dedicates himself every day to destroying our democracy and infecting our government with corruption and polarization.  But Biden had better be careful, if he uses standard political rhetoric that I don't like then I'll vote for Trump anyway to spite him."

said no one who was actually going to vote for Biden ever!
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2020, 02:16:16 PM »

Beet! I didn't recognize you in yellow!
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2020, 03:06:59 PM »

and how much you wanna bet that he corrected himself and said 200,000 right after, yet of course the disingenuous tweets won't include that. Ugh, Right Wing Twitter trash is so horrible.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2020, 03:15:55 PM »

Trump supporters continue their hypocrisy. Nobody but Trump can use teleprompters, it seems. Off to ignore.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2020, 03:25:42 PM »

Trump uses teleprompters.

Trump mocked someone with special needs.

Trump told his supporters in 2016 to assassinate Hillary Clinton were she to win.

Trump continues to hold rallies, where social distancing and masks are barely seen or not seen at all.  He knowingly puts his own supporters at risk of death, and we now have proof that he knows this.

You want to talk about lying?
https://projects.thestar.com/donald-trump-fact-check/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/06/01/president-trump-made-19127-false-or-misleading-claims-1226-days/

Trump constantly leaves press briefings without taking questions.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2020, 03:29:27 PM »

This guy is definitely senile.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2020, 03:39:20 PM »

This guy is definitely senile.

You do realize the only thing Biden did was flub a line here which means... even in the worst case, he's just a bad teleprompter reading? Sometimes messing up words while reading from a prompter makes you senile? Guess many Americans are senile!
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2020, 03:47:13 PM »

This is why people find Republicans so repugnant. A guy with a well-publicized speaking disability accidentally misspoke, and Republicans immediately pounce and say he's mentally handicapped.
CellarDoor
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2020, 04:10:30 PM »

For those of you interested in content and not political theater, I'd encourage you to actually watch Biden's speech. It was excellent.  I've always loved the man, despite his flaws. I do believe he might be the perfect candidate for the moment, however.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2020, 04:14:10 PM »

Mixing up orders of magnitude is one of Biden's most prominent "Bidenisms" and he has been doing it for decades.  I can literally go back to his 2008 debate with Sarah Palin and find a half dozen different examples.

Please read this thread from nearly six months ago:
https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=362940.msg7220066#msg7220066

If you people are really stupid enough to think Biden literally thinks 200 million people are dead, rather than simply mixing up "million" and "thousand", then you deserve to have Trump as your president.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2020, 04:14:50 PM »

Also, anyone want to talk about the actual speech rather than lazy, low-effort right-wing trolling?  Im' gonna go watch it now.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2020, 04:15:25 PM »

Oh no, someone from the super swingy tossup of Illinois isn't voting Biden! No one cares.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2020, 04:34:06 PM »

At 12:30 he says "200,000 people have died."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml5-xY3P8L4

it's obviously a mis-speak.

In other news, I'm honestly not that satisfied with this speech.  I don't think he makes a compelling case for his position.  Biden's people need to sharpen the language and work some focus groups.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2020, 04:37:06 PM »

In other news, I'm honestly not that satisfied with this speech.  I don't think he makes a compelling case for his position.  Biden's people need to sharpen the language and work some focus groups.

According to Ipsos, 62% of the public agrees with his position, so.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2020, 04:43:26 PM »

According to Ipsos, 62% of the public agrees with his position, so.

He just needs to make it more clear what his position is.

He said early in the speech that the only "rule" he cares about is the rule of the constitution -- that the president gets to appoint a nominee, and the Senate must advise and consent.  That's a pretty clear argument that what the Republicans did in 2016 was wrong.

But then later on he says that the nomination hearings should be delayed until after the election, and that if he is elected then he should be allowed to pick the nominee.

The two seem contradictory.  He doesn't clearly explain how they're not.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2020, 05:10:17 PM »

In this speech, Biden said that he would "consult" with Republicans about his Supreme Court pick. I hope that was just a "diplomatic" answer for the cameras because there is no reason for him to be "consulting" with Senate Republicans about his Supreme Court pick or picks.

That line will further frustrate some progressives who feel that Biden "will just nominate some right-wing or centrist judge. Why should I vote?". I'm voting for Biden but sometimes he's a bit too "diplomatic" and "nice".
woodley park

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2020, 05:17:21 PM »

When Joe Biden attacks Trump for 200,000 dead Americans, and the only retort from the GOP is that his grammar was off and he was using a teleprompter, you know that Republicans are absolutely screwed.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2020, 05:26:34 PM »

In this speech, Biden said that he would "consult" with Republicans about his Supreme Court pick. I hope that was just a "diplomatic" answer for the cameras because there is no reason for him to be "consulting" with Senate Republicans about his Supreme Court pick or picks.

That line will further frustrate some progressives who feel that Biden "will just nominate some right-wing or centrist judge. Why should I vote?". I'm voting for Biden but sometimes he's a bit too "diplomatic" and "nice".

This is 100% Biden.  Biden is an old school, Senate institutionalist.  He believes that the Obama-Trump era of partisanship is a aberration that he is morally and personally prepared to correct.  This is a major theme that Biden stresses in his campaign.  His politics are straight out of the 1980s.  He is not a candidate for our time. 
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies