Is Trump done ?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:52:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Is Trump done ?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Huh
Yes
No
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Is Trump done ?  (Read 3419 times)
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2020, 11:19:46 AM »

I don't like the framing of this question, but I will say that whatever happens is just going to happen. Barring a severe upset of the way the race stands (something like the death of Biden or an apocalyptic nationwide disaster, etc.) there's practically nothing Trump can do to improve his odds.
solidcoalition
Rookie
United States

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2020, 11:27:27 AM »

We’re still weeks away from the point in the campaign when the Access Hollywood tape came out, and a few weeks after that he won over 300 electoral votes. Topics like this are funny.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2020, 11:30:29 AM »

Probably, but I, like the rest of the Democrats, have way too much PTSD from 2016 to say or even think so.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2020, 11:34:17 AM »

He’s been done since early May folks.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2020, 11:38:36 AM »

No, he will use the Supreme Court to steal the election.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2020, 11:44:45 AM »

Gorsuch/Roberts would not go along with it
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2020, 11:49:32 AM »

I think the Supreme Court will allow states to do whatever those states decide they need to do when counting ballots. Even the most rank partisans on SCOTUS must comprehend that the United States of America in 2020 can't survive a court-mandated end to counting votes.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2020, 12:00:52 PM »

Trump has been done since 2017 (barring another Hillary Clinton nomination).
Cosmic Latte
Rookie

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2020, 12:03:38 PM »

Possible but he would need several very lucky breaks.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2020, 12:10:45 PM »

Which will only work if the election is close.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2020, 12:12:15 PM »

I'd be surprised if he won at this point. But I'm less confident than I was 4 years ago, so we'll see.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2020, 12:12:34 PM »

Not really, they can rule that mail-in ballots are invalid.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2020, 12:20:39 PM »

And they won’t. Roberts will never go along with it and I feel at least some of the other conservatives (Gorsuch) will see it as a bridge too far.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2020, 12:22:25 PM »

Don't all states run their own election with their own rules. You would likely need multiple cases and rulings to swing an election where all sign point to Biden winning with 300+ EV.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2020, 12:22:38 PM »

If McConnell really wanted Trump to win, he would have promised to keep the seat open until 1/20/21 and I honestly think that would have been the end of the Biden candidacy. Every single one of the Republican voters for Biden would have come home immediately and it would have been over. But he's not going to do that because there's still a pretty big chance Trump will lose, so he's taking the safe route of ramming through a vote right now.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2020, 12:28:48 PM »

If McConnell really wanted Trump to win, he would have promised to keep the seat open until 1/20/21 and I honestly think that would have been the end of the Biden candidacy. Every single one of the Republican voters for Biden would have come home immediately and it would have been over. But he's not going to do that because there's still a pretty big chance Trump will lose, so he's taking the safe route of ramming through a vote right now.

Except the “Biden Republicans” are pretty moderate overall. They are likely heavily pro-choice and not fans of ACA repeal.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2020, 12:30:52 PM »

Not at all. Mitch promising to keep the seat vacant wouldn't have outweighed the many other reasons that people are switching to Biden.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2020, 12:31:53 PM »

Nah, he's the clear underdog in the election, but he still has a shot at winning all of the states he won in 2016, with the possible exception of MI.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2020, 12:35:27 PM »

Nah, he's the clear underdog in the election, but he still has a shot at winning all of the states he won in 2016, with the possible exception of MI.

Three of which he barely won: PA, WI, and FL.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2020, 12:53:28 PM »

Barring a Todd Akin-level gaffe from Biden, I think he is. He no longer has the luxury of running against a historically unpopular opponent, and now has a really poor record to defend. Biden is also hitting 50 in almost all of the key states. A lot more people are voting early or by mail, so the chances of a late event drastically changing the race are lower than they were in 2016.

My assessment, but I would add that Trump is in a position in which he has to do something incredibly reckless and get away with it to win. Such is possible, but he has had plenty of opportunity to do so and he has failed. If he were a normal politician (let us say John Kerry or Mitt Romney he would avoid something reckless and be satisfied with looking good while losing.

With the horrid behavior of Trump, if Trump were the Democrat and said much that I liked and Mitt Romney were the opponent I would vote for Romney. I do not want erratic leadership as pervasively corrupt, incompetent, and cruel.

It may be ironic, but Joe Biden wins in part on what Republicans used to win on. Biden is a man of devout faith; he has a conservative lifestyle, and he respects the veterans and active-duty members of the Armed Services,  In 2008 and 2012 both Presidential candidates fit that pattern. But this is a matter of basic decency, and one that we need consider in every election. Without that decency (OK, a person can have weak religious faith or even be an outright atheist and have a strong moral compass, but one can still show that and it would be adequate).
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2020, 01:17:02 PM »

And they won’t. Roberts will never go along with it and I feel at least some of the other conservatives (Gorsuch) will see it as a bridge too far.
Even Alito denied the Pennsylvania Republicans their gerrymandered map.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2020, 01:32:28 PM »
« Edited: September 20, 2020, 01:35:31 PM by MR. KAYNE WEST »

No, if you look at Trafalger it's a close election. The election wont be a 413 landslide, the Senate wont be a 60/40 filibuster proof.  It is likely we get a 269 to 291 EC map and a tied Senate like Cook political report has it

Especially,  since Pelosi trying to impeach Trump again, instead of passing 1.5  T stimulus that Casy, Manchin and Sinema supports. Sean Hannity is having a field day on this, as Pelosi is a Union boss that cares about fundraising  she is really gone and needs to retire, I never liked her anyways. I support D, not Union bosses like her
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2020, 01:51:00 PM »
« Edited: September 20, 2020, 01:55:11 PM by Alben Barkley »

I honestly can’t tell if the OP is satire or not, because every “point” is so dumb and mostly debunked yet some people unironically believe them.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2020, 04:55:16 PM »

Except the “Biden Republicans” are pretty moderate overall. They are likely heavily pro-choice and not fans of ACA repeal.

Yep. Also, Biden could probably win even without Biden Republicans (although they certainly help). The Supreme Court helps more with turnout among party bases than anything else. And the death of Ginsburg doesn't change the reality that the President has the power to appoint justices; it just brings it to the front of everyone's mind.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2020, 05:02:20 PM »

He's not done, but his chances are quite low. If Trump was polling as good as Biden, everuone would say that Biden would be DOA, but simply beacuse outperformed slightly in a few key states in 2016, no matter well how well Biden is polling, people will always see the race as highly competative.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies