The fight to replace Ruth Bader Ginsburg megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 06:27:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The fight to replace Ruth Bader Ginsburg megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 32
Author Topic: The fight to replace Ruth Bader Ginsburg megathread  (Read 39934 times)
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: September 26, 2020, 05:08:53 PM »

If I'm 20 years old and can afford $10 a month for healthcare, I damn well know all of you can too.

A bunch of sexist fearmongering bigots.

Disgusting.

It'll be far more than $10 a month when Obamacare is declared unconstitutional.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #401 on: September 26, 2020, 05:12:48 PM »

We knew that RBG death was imminent and her family doesn't appear on TV to say how she died, but she should of retired before 2016, she had Pancreatic cancer and like colon cancer, it affects the way you sit for long periods of time. She knew she couldn't last as a judge, sitting a long time

Yep Ginsburg’s decision to not retire in 2014 will go down as one of the worst political mistakes in modern history
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #402 on: September 26, 2020, 05:13:27 PM »

This is why appointing Barrett makes no sense for Republicans electorally. Her comments on the ACA give Democrats an exceptionally easy time in opposing her nomination and turning it into a liability for Trump and Senate Republicans.

Does it matter? Democrats don't have the clout in the Senate to oppose her nomination, and her comments on the ACA will obviously prove popular with most Republican legislators
Splash
United States

« Reply #403 on: September 26, 2020, 05:18:29 PM »

If I'm 20 years old and can afford $10 a month for healthcare, I damn well know all of you can too.

Disgusting.

This is completely detached from reality. The average premium for a benchmark plan in the ACA marketplace is $462 a month in 2020. APTC brings the post-tax credit amount down significantly for about eighty-five percent of consumers, but that subsidy would be wiped away if the law was struck down.

Even if we take the most favorable conditions: let's say average premium for the lowest-cost bronze-level health plan, you're still looking at $331 a month pre-APTC.

That's a far cry from "$10 a month for healthcare." And I'm not even going to get into age-bands and how health insurance companies are able to community rate their premiums for older individuals up to three times as much as a twenty year-old would pay.

Now, I suppose you could always seek "coverage" in the unregulated markets, and purchase something like a short-term, limited-duration plan or enroll in a health care sharing ministry, but those "plans" are riddled with exclusions for pre-existing conditions, medical underwriting, lock-outs, and other unfavorable terms that render them next to useless for anyone that actually needs to seek treatment for anything more critical than a dislocated shoulder.

In short, stop peddling hogwash.

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #404 on: September 26, 2020, 05:19:39 PM »

Has there ever been a straight party-line vote on confirming a Supreme Court justice?
solidcoalition
Rookie
United States

« Reply #405 on: September 26, 2020, 05:25:01 PM »

I have a feeling Murkowski and Romney will vote to confirm. Looks like it might be swift.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #406 on: September 26, 2020, 05:43:43 PM »

Disgusting.

This is completely detached from reality. The average premium for a benchmark plan in the ACA marketplace is $462 a month in 2020. APTC brings the post-tax credit amount down significantly for about eighty-five percent of consumers, but that subsidy would be wiped away if the law was struck down.

Even if we take the most favorable conditions: let's say average premium for the lowest-cost bronze-level health plan, you're still looking at $331 a month pre-APTC.

That's a far cry from "$10 a month for healthcare." And I'm not even going to get into age-bands and how health insurance companies are able to community rate their premiums for older individuals up to three times as much as a twenty year-old would pay.

Now, I suppose you could always seek "coverage" in the unregulated markets, and purchase something like a short-term, limited-duration plan or enroll in a health care sharing ministry, but those "plans" are riddled with exclusions for pre-existing conditions, medical underwriting, lock-outs, and other unfavorable terms that render them next to useless for anyone that actually needs to seek treatment for anything more critical than a dislocated shoulder.

It's called find the cheapest bronze package available to you and settle for it.

Life sucks and then you die, some sooner and more painfully than others.

Trump isn't even repealing pre existing condition coverage anyway, so all of this is fearmongering.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #407 on: September 26, 2020, 05:48:58 PM »

... A bunch of sexist fearmongering bigots.

Projecting?
LOL.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #408 on: September 26, 2020, 05:53:11 PM »

It's astonishing how Trump has gotten the opportunity to choose a third of the Supreme Court in just one term. Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, and now Barrett will probably be on the Court for at least another thirty years, long after Trump himself is gone and in the ground. The last President to have this many seats to fill in one term was Dwight D. Eisenhower.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #409 on: September 26, 2020, 05:57:27 PM »

It's astonishing how Trump has gotten the opportunity to choose a third of the Supreme Court in just one term. Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, and now Barrett will probably be on the Court for at least another thirty years, long after Trump himself is gone and in the ground. The last President to have this many seats to fill in one term was Dwight D. Eisenhower.

Not to worry.
They will all be "washed," when 2 to 4 new seats are added (maybe next year, maybe after 2022).
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #410 on: September 26, 2020, 05:59:40 PM »

Why doesnt Trump just drop the damn lawsuit
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #411 on: September 26, 2020, 06:04:14 PM »

Not to worry.
They will all be "washed," when 2 to 4 new seats are added (maybe next year, maybe after 2022).

Oh sure, right after Thomas retires under President Biden and Sotomayor and Kagan retire under the next Republican admin
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #412 on: September 26, 2020, 06:04:37 PM »

absolutely deserved ratio
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #413 on: September 26, 2020, 06:07:28 PM »

Not to worry.

Oh sure, right after Thomas retires under President Biden and Sotomayor and Kagan retire under the next Republican admin

And it's still not a guarantee-far from it-that Democrats will win control of the Senate this year. Their court-packing scheme-which I've made clear my opposition to-will not bear fruit if they do not gain control of the Senate and the Presidency. A Republican Senate would obstruct Biden (assuming he still wins) and would prevent him from enacting his agenda, just like they did to Obama. And given the way midterm elections have historically gone, the Republican majority would be entrenched further in the 2022 midterms. The opposite is also true-if Trump wins reelection, and Republicans subsequently lose the Senate in 2022, he would still be able to block any Democratic court-packing plans, because they would not have the veto-proof majorities necessary to push it past him.
Splash
United States

« Reply #414 on: September 26, 2020, 06:09:50 PM »

Disgusting.

It's called find the cheapest bronze package available to you and settle for it.

Trump isn't even repealing pre existing condition coverage anyway, so all of this is fearmongering.

I am going to put aside that disturbing dystopian worldview for a moment and just focus the elements of personal financial welfare.

There are no bronze-level qualified health plans with a gross premium of $10 for self-only coverage offered anywhere in the country. Given the information that you've presented, then I assume that you are eligible for and receive a premium tax credit to purchase that bronze plan, right? You do know, I assume, that the premium tax credit was established by the ACA  and, if the plaintiffs in Texas v. Azar are successful in their lawsuit, this tax credit would cease to exist, meaning you would pay more - substantially more - for the same coverage.

The ACA affords critical protections for individuals with pre-existing conditions. Trump and DOJ are siding with the plaintiffs in their quest to strike down the ACA. Therefore, Trump is attempting to abolish those same protections. It's really quite simple.

Anyway, there are other threads focused on the implications of the court vacancy for the ACA. I don't mean to derail this thread further, but linking the future of the ACA to ACB's nomination to the court - especially given her previous on-the-record statements about NFIB v. Sebelius - is a completely valid play by Democrats.

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #415 on: September 26, 2020, 06:10:24 PM »

How absolutely disrespectable could this be to RBG.
You got to be some-kind of low-life scum, to design this, not even two-weeks after her death.
Disgusting!
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #416 on: September 26, 2020, 06:43:21 PM »

Disgusting.

I am going to put aside that disturbing dystopian worldview for a moment and just focus the elements of personal financial welfare.

There are no bronze-level qualified health plans with a gross premium of $10 for self-only coverage offered anywhere in the country. Given the information that you've presented, then I assume that you are eligible for and receive a premium tax credit to purchase that bronze plan, right? You do know, I assume, that the premium tax credit was established by the ACA  and, if the plaintiffs in Texas v. Azar are successful in their lawsuit, this tax credit would cease to exist, meaning you would pay more - substantially more - for the same coverage.

The ACA affords critical protections for individuals with pre-existing conditions. Trump and DOJ are siding with the plaintiffs in their quest to strike down the ACA. Therefore, Trump is attempting to abolish those same protections. It's really quite simple.

Anyway, there are other threads focused on the implications of the court vacancy for the ACA. I don't mean to derail this thread further, but linking the future of the ACA to ACB's nomination to the court - especially given her previous on-the-record statements about NFIB v. Sebelius - is a completely valid play by Democrats.

Which has me really worried. What will happen to the insurance industry if by judicial fiat, the SCOTUS can cut their revenues by 10% with a stroke of a pen? Sudden policy changes of this magnitude have the capacity to immediately cause an insurance death spiral, flatten the Health Care industry just like foreclosure wave did in 2008, and single-handedly cause a large recession.

So yeah. In a week, Republicans will be able to destroy the power and credibility of the Federal Government and annihilate a sixth of the economy.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #417 on: September 26, 2020, 06:46:50 PM »

What liberals are afraid of:
Being forbidden from getting married, being unable to get on a partner's health insurance, being unable to act for their partner as next of kin during a medical crisis
Being physically or verbally attacked in a hate crime
Being fired, demoted, or denied a promotion at work because of their sex/gender orientation and possibly being thrust into poverty or financial ruin as a result

What conservatives are afraid of:
Having to bake a cake for someone they think is icky, and getting paid for it

At what point does their lack of empathy reach into sociopathic territory?

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #418 on: September 26, 2020, 06:54:11 PM »

It also comes down to Citizens United, if Biden got to replace Ginsburg, CJ Roberts would side with her on getting rid of Citizens United, something that Leader McConnell doesn't want. Unions want to have the say over donations, that's why they are asking for donations to stop nomination
Splash
United States

« Reply #419 on: September 26, 2020, 07:10:59 PM »

Disgusting.

Which has me really worried. What will happen to the insurance industry if by judicial fiat, the SCOTUS can cut their revenues by 10% with a stroke of a pen? Sudden policy changes of this magnitude have the capacity to immediately cause an insurance death spiral, flatten the Health Care industry just like foreclosure wave did in 2008, and single-handedly cause a large recession.

So yeah. In a week, Republicans will be able to destroy the power and credibility of the Federal Government and annihilate a sixth of the economy.

Yeah, the potential consequences of the court striking down the ACA are as numerous as they are dangerous.

If Biden wins and the Democrats take the Senate, this scenario - if nothing else - is going to be the proverbial straw that breaks the camel's back in regards to abolishing the filibuster, I think. I can theoretically see the traditionalists and moderates in the caucus being unwilling to gut the filibuster over statehood or other legislative priorities, but if the ACA is stuck down and the GOP obstructs and filibusters a replacement bill, then I can see people like Sinema and Manchin being willing to finally go there and get rid of it entirely.

It'll otherwise look absurd if they're waxing about minority rights in the Senate while millions of people are losing their jobs and health insurance all because the Court stuck down the ACA over a convoluted argument about the severability of the individual mandate from the rest of the law. 

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #420 on: September 26, 2020, 07:29:35 PM »

The D's haven't won the election yet and they are calling on abolishing the filibuster, they have to win, first
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #421 on: September 26, 2020, 07:30:03 PM »

Disgusting.

Yeah, the potential consequences of the court striking down the ACA are as numerous as they are dangerous.

If Biden wins and the Democrats take the Senate, this scenario - if nothing else - is going to be the proverbial straw that breaks the camel's back in regards to abolishing the filibuster, I think. I can theoretically see the traditionalists and moderates in the caucus being unwilling to gut the filibuster over statehood or other legislative priorities, but if the ACA is stuck down and the GOP obstructs and filibusters a replacement bill, then I can see people like Sinema and Manchin being willing to finally go there and get rid of it entirely.

It'll otherwise look absurd if they're waxing about minority rights in the Senate while millions of people are losing their jobs and health insurance all because the Court stuck down the ACA over a convoluted argument about the severability of the individual mandate from the rest of the law. 

If Trump wins, it’ll be as if we went straight from W to him and he will be relitigating the same exact right wing domestic policy. Cancelling Social Security and Medicare will be his number one priority.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #422 on: September 26, 2020, 07:48:24 PM »

Disgusting.

You think health insurance costs $10 a month. What are you, in middle school?

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #423 on: September 26, 2020, 07:55:13 PM »

Disgusting.

You think health insurance costs $10 a month. What are you, in middle school?

He said "healthcare," not "health insurance."  He probably just buys a bottle of aspirin every month.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #424 on: September 26, 2020, 07:56:35 PM »

Trump has to win AZ, WI, ME2 and NEB2,!that where the election will be decided, third party candidates can alter the election results, the polls are underestimating like in 2016, third party support

But, a poll in MN shows only a 6 pt race
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 32  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies