HB 26-09: Expansion of High Speed Rail and Mass Transit Act (Tabled)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:09:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 26-09: Expansion of High Speed Rail and Mass Transit Act (Tabled)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: HB 26-09: Expansion of High Speed Rail and Mass Transit Act (Tabled)  (Read 3108 times)
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2020, 02:49:54 AM »

Mr.Speaker

This is why our nation trails most of the developed world as we never fund Atlasian greatness enough where it matters. We don't do anything great anymore as it  is never built or allowed to move ahead because it cost too damn much for some reason or is too hard. We don't spend the money we should on infrastructure be it on our roads, bridges or train system and the sad reality is Atlasia is quickly becoming a second world country. The cold hard Fact is countries like Spain, Italy, France, Japan, China along with so many more have super fast trains and so should we. I ask my fellow reps to oppose this tabling as Atlasians deserve to enjoy super fast rail just like most of the rest of the developed world.

I yield
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2020, 12:37:51 PM »

Butting in as a citizen again if no one minds.

Okay, so before I say this, a couple things to make clear. I currently oppose the bill as written due to the current budget crunch, but I'm open to future HSR expansion if it's done smartly. Right now, I have severe doubts about the Southern leg of this bill, which passes through areas that aren't densely populated enough to economically support the immense cost of HSR construction (giving off pork barrel vibes). But these doubts are accentuated by the fact that some routes far more logical than these have not yet been proposed!

Take Chicago to New York, for instance. This corridor is very populous, links two economic powerhouses, and also has multiple large cities on it. I don't think I exaggerate when I say this corridor is the second-most trafficked in America, behind only the NE I-95 metropolitan area. A Milwaukee - Chicago - South Bend - Detroit - Dayton - Cleveland - Pittsburg - Philly - New York line makes logical sense, but we're building lines in rural Texas and from Chicago to St. Louis instead? What? And why hasn't it been pointed out yet that Dallas - one of the largest metropolitan areas in the country - is not included in this plan?

As I said above, HSR expansion is not necessarily a bad thing, but it needs to be done better and with more basic logic (and when we're actually able to run a surplus). We should start with logical corridors - like the coastal lines and the Texas triangle - before risking billions in construction investment in areas where few, if any people may actually use the services. I firmly believe that HSR is a key part of the future of Atlasian infrastructure, but it's not a one-size-fits-all solution for every transportation woe. Sorry for the rant but I think it had to be said.

EDIT: Not to mention Atlanta. Again, WHAT?
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2020, 12:42:47 PM »

Mr Speaker.

I concur with the comment of Oregon Blue Dog. This bill has been abused to get large amounts of pork barrel spending. It is frankly ridiculous for the congresswoman to complain about considering the cost when she has tried to pass tax cuts since taking office.

I second the motion to table.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2020, 12:15:13 AM »

A vote is now open for 72 hours on the motion to table this bill.

Representatives, please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #79 on: October 29, 2020, 12:20:27 AM »

Abstain
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #80 on: October 29, 2020, 01:04:40 AM »

Nay

Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #81 on: October 29, 2020, 01:31:27 AM »

Aye
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #82 on: October 29, 2020, 09:19:51 AM »

Aye.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2020, 10:53:22 AM »

Nay
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #84 on: October 29, 2020, 05:39:38 PM »

Aye
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #85 on: October 30, 2020, 12:17:22 AM »
« Edited: October 30, 2020, 12:21:35 AM by AustralianSwingVoter »

https://talkelections.org/AFEWIKI/index.php?title=Fremont_Railway_and_Pan-Regional_Transport_Act
https://talkelections.org/AFEWIKI/index.php?title=Central_and_Northern_Pacific_Railway_Act_of_2017
https://talkelections.org/AFEWIKI/index.php?title=Fremont_Railway_and_Pan-Regional_Transport_Act_of_2018
https://talkelections.org/AFEWIKI/index.php?title=Pacific_Railway_Reauthorization_Act
https://talkelections.org/AFEWIKI/index.php?title=LincolnRail_Act_2017

Somehow nobody bothered to do any research at all on this bill. Lincoln and Fremont both already has a HSR system fully funded and presumably under construction. In which case the question is why should the federal government bother paying for a HSR system for the one region who hasn't paid for it themselves. And why did no members of congress bother to do basic research to check whether this issue had already been addressed before.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #86 on: October 30, 2020, 12:20:53 AM »

Somehow nobody bothered to do any research at all on this bill. Lincoln already has a HSR system funded just like Fremont. In which case the question is why should the federal government bother paying for a HSR system for the one region who hasn't paid for it themselves.
Yeah. Multiple HSR bills were also passed in Fremont - it would be great if the GM or the Comptroller could make a verdict as to the status of HSR in Fremont and Lincoln due to questionable levels of funding adequacy.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #87 on: October 30, 2020, 12:28:09 AM »

Somehow nobody bothered to do any research at all on this bill. Lincoln already has a HSR system funded just like Fremont. In which case the question is why should the federal government bother paying for a HSR system for the one region who hasn't paid for it themselves.
Yeah. Multiple HSR bills were also passed in Fremont - it would be great if the GM or the Comptroller could make a verdict as to the status of HSR in Fremont and Lincoln due to questionable levels of funding adequacy.
Extrapolating off the approx. $90 Billion dollar pricetag for the full California HSR project and Amtrak's estimate of $150 Billion dollars as the cost of upgrading the Acela/Northeast Corridor to HSR it's certain the cost of a national HSR network as proposed would run well over $1 Trillion dollars.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #88 on: November 01, 2020, 12:33:30 AM »

Aye FTR.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #89 on: November 01, 2020, 12:34:40 AM »

Vote has closed. By a vote of 3-2-1-3 (I voted too late), this bill is tabled.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies