HB 26-09: Expansion of High Speed Rail and Mass Transit Act (Tabled)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:44:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 26-09: Expansion of High Speed Rail and Mass Transit Act (Tabled)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: HB 26-09: Expansion of High Speed Rail and Mass Transit Act (Tabled)  (Read 3102 times)
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 18, 2020, 11:58:07 PM »
« edited: November 01, 2020, 12:34:51 AM by People's Speaker Joseph Cao »

AN ACT
To improve transport and connectivity across our nation.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the Republic of Atlasia in Congress assembled,

Section I. Title

i. The long title of this bill shall be the "Expansion of High Speed Rail and Mass Transit Act." It may be cited as the "High Speed Rail Act."

Section II. Definitions
i. High speed rail is defined as a railroad capable of supporting trains in excess of 120 mph.

Section III. Construction of High Speed Rail Arteries
i. A high speed railway shall be constructed from San Diego, CA to Seattle, WA. The railway must include access stations in Los Angeles, CA, San Jose, CA, and Portland, OR.
     a. The Department of Transportation should negotiate possible connections through Canada and Mexico.
ii. A high speed railway shall be constructed from Miami, FL to Boston, MA. The railway must include access stations in Charlotte, NC, Washington, DC, Philadelphia, PA, and New York City, NY.

Section IV. Creation of National Rail Authority
i. The National Rail Authority is hereby established under the Department of Transportation and tasked with the responsibility of overseeing construction, rail route development, and consumer-end transit program implementation.
ii. The National Rail Authority shall consist of members appointed by the President of Atlasia.
iii. Modifications to the seaboard routes and placement of cross-country rail routes shall be the responsibility of the National Rail Authority.
iv. Congress shall retain the ability to legislate new routes or override the decisions of the National Rail Authority if necessary.

Section V. Appropriations
i. $80 billion shall be appropriated for the construction of new rail and adaptation of old rail for the creation of the seaboard routes.
ii. $250 million shall be appropriated for surveying and planning of cross-country rail routes.
iii. $3 billion shall be appropriated for the construction of connecting routes to off-route cities.
iv. $150 billion shall be released for construction of new rail and adaptation of old rail for the creation of cross country routes pending a finalized route plan from the National Rail Authority.
v. $8 billion shall be released for the construction of connecting routes to off-route cities pending a finalized route plan from the National Rail Authority.

Sponsor: SevenEleven
House Designation: HB 26-09

72 hours to debate.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 12:23:23 AM »

So...this is a rather ambitious bill. The goal is to create an enhanced transportation grid that will bring our nation closer than it's ever been before. There are probably some tweaks we will have to make so input is welcomed and appreciated.

The goal here is to reduce emissions while at the same time expanding what's possible for working people. A shorter commute. A house in the subrubs etc. A sufficient transit program enables our communities to be much stronger and more stable.
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 12:23:24 AM »

I ran on partly on expanding transportation infrastructure and I feel that high speed trains are a cool way to move people around the country. So i'll support sevens bill!

I'd like to see high speed trains that can go 300 mph moving our food and consumer products across the country! Smiley
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 06:22:21 AM »

I ran on partly on expanding transportation infrastructure and I feel that high speed trains are a cool way to move people around the country. So i'll support sevens bill!

I'd like to see high speed trains that can go 300 mph moving our food and consumer products across the country! Smiley

To my knowledge there are no 300 mph trains working anywhere yet (300 km/h is common, but not mph lol)

Also high speed rail tends to be used mostly if not exclusively for passengers, not freight, though on paper there should not be any reason why they can't transport freight
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2020, 12:11:50 PM »

I support anything that will expand our infrastructure!
Tamika Jackson
beeman
Rookie
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 06:28:00 AM »

Mr. Speaker,

I move to amend by adding the following Clause to Section III:

iii. A high speed railway shall be constructed from Chicago, IL to St. Louis, MO. The railway must include access stations in Bloomington, IL and Springfield, IL.

I yield.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2020, 09:24:38 PM »

Can we get some justification for this amendment before a decision is made?
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2020, 10:52:31 PM »

I think the more  train routes the better! I'd also like to see this expanded  to go beyond mass transit as our nation relies greatly on trucks that rip up the highways to bring goods from one region of our nation to the next. Wouldn't it be great if we could have 200 mph super trains to do it instead and get goods there in 1/4th the time? The same trains that carry people could also have a few Freight Cars included on them for this purpose. The tracks could be used for both purposes.

Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2020, 12:27:26 AM »

I mean, yes, theoretically the more train routes the better, but we do have a limited budget to work with. The initial proposal with West and East Coast lines seems like a good place to start. I trust the National Rail Authority to give their best determination of where else high speed rail lines are most needed.

Besides, it's about sixty miles from Bloomington to Springfield and is it really efficient for HSR stations to be in such close proximity to each other?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2020, 01:11:31 AM »

I mean, yes, theoretically the more train routes the better, but we do have a limited budget to work with. The initial proposal with West and East Coast lines seems like a good place to start. I trust the National Rail Authority to give their best determination of where else high speed rail lines are most needed.

Besides, it's about sixty miles from Bloomington to Springfield and is it really efficient for HSR stations to be in such close proximity to each other?

I agree with this. HSR lines should be about going the distance and we should tie regional transport to it. I'm not seeing any reason why a high speed train should stop in Bloomington of all places.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2020, 02:04:36 AM »

I'm not seeing any reason why a high speed train should stop in Bloomington of all places.

The Illinois pork barrel strikes again!
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2020, 11:59:49 AM »

With no response from Rep. Beeman, I have to declare the amendment unfriendly, though I still would appreciate a response as to why this change is being presented.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2020, 12:11:28 PM »

With no response from Rep. Beeman, I have to declare the amendment unfriendly, though I still would appreciate a response as to why this change is being presented.
It's been less then 24 hours since you made the response.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2020, 12:17:10 AM »

In view of the amendment being declared unfriendly, I'll give the Representative an additional 24 hours to advocate for the amendment. If we still don't have a response by then a vote will be opened on it.
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2020, 08:58:01 PM »

This seems like a great bill, and it's heartening to see cross-party support for the plan as well. I believe the corridor between Miami and Charlotte may need another mandatory stop in between, and I would suggest Orlando or Jacksonville. I can make a motion after Rep. beeman's amendment is voted on
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2020, 10:19:24 PM »

I fully support Beemans amendment and will be introducing my own for a southern Atlasia route after his passes.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2020, 12:27:04 AM »

Representatives, a vote is now open on the following amendment:

AN ACT
To improve transport and connectivity across our nation.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the Republic of Atlasia in Congress assembled,

Section I. Title

i. The long title of this bill shall be the "Expansion of High Speed Rail and Mass Transit Act." It may be cited as the "High Speed Rail Act."

Section II. Definitions
i. High speed rail is defined as a railroad capable of supporting trains in excess of 120 mph.

Section III. Construction of High Speed Rail Arteries
i. A high speed railway shall be constructed from San Diego, CA to Seattle, WA. The railway must include access stations in Los Angeles, CA, San Jose, CA, and Portland, OR.
     a. The Department of Transportation should negotiate possible connections through Canada and Mexico.
ii. A high speed railway shall be constructed from Miami, FL to Boston, MA. The railway must include access stations in Charlotte, NC, Washington, DC, Philadelphia, PA, and New York City, NY.
iii. A high speed railway shall be constructed from Chicago, IL to St. Louis, MO. The railway must include access stations in Bloomington, IL and Springfield, IL.

Section IV. Creation of National Rail Authority
i. The National Rail Authority is hereby established under the Department of Transportation and tasked with the responsibility of overseeing construction, rail route development, and consumer-end transit program implementation.
ii. The National Rail Authority shall consist of members appointed by the President of Atlasia.
iii. Modifications to the seaboard routes and placement of cross-country rail routes shall be the responsibility of the National Rail Authority.
iv. Congress shall retain the ability to legislate new routes or override the decisions of the National Rail Authority if necessary.

Section V. Appropriations
i. $80 billion shall be appropriated for the construction of new rail and adaptation of old rail for the creation of the seaboard routes.
ii. $250 million shall be appropriated for surveying and planning of cross-country rail routes.
iii. $3 billion shall be appropriated for the construction of connecting routes to off-route cities.
iv. $150 billion shall be released for construction of new rail and adaptation of old rail for the creation of cross country routes pending a finalized route plan from the National Rail Authority.
v. $8 billion shall be released for the construction of connecting routes to off-route cities pending a finalized route plan from the National Rail Authority.

72 hours to vote. Please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2020, 12:45:52 AM »

Aye
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2020, 01:11:33 AM »

Nay.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2020, 02:10:49 AM »

Nay
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2020, 12:32:35 PM »

Aye
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2020, 04:10:08 PM »

Aye
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2020, 05:39:37 PM »

Aye
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2020, 12:23:04 AM »

NAY!
Tamika Jackson
beeman
Rookie
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2020, 09:13:02 PM »

Aye - As the gentlelady of Mississippi said, why not more rail routes?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies