The Kanye West/J.K. Rowling disrepency
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 19, 2024, 05:30:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  The Kanye West/J.K. Rowling disrepency
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Kanye West/J.K. Rowling disrepency  (Read 1399 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 17, 2020, 09:50:57 PM »

So why is it that people are now trying to cancel J.K. Rowling and posting videos of themselves burning Harry Potter books yet no one is doing comparable things to Kanye West and when I asked how on Earth can anyone progressive listen to Kanye West people just talked about "compartmentalization" or "separating the art from the artist" and stupid f[inks]ing things like that?

Seems like a double standard. I mean what Kanye's done is far more worthy of merchandise burning than posting a couple insensitive tweets.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 10:05:27 PM »

Both are great artists and neither should be cancelled.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 10:06:21 PM »

Art should never be destroyed. The creator recently became a POS? sell it or give it away. I hate both Kanye and J.K but their art shouldn't be destroyed.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 11:32:31 PM »

Kanye is a massive HP but I still listened to MBDTF just last week.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 12:12:14 AM »

Ugh. I can't imagine listening to musicians with differing political views than me, it's just a foreign and strange concept.

Would you have any problem listening to this band? They played the last show I went to before everything shut down and said they supported Bernie.

Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020, 04:03:07 AM »
« Edited: September 18, 2020, 04:13:48 AM by Velasco »

Burning books resembles too much common practices of the Nazi Germany. I don't like people who light bonfires with books, flags of the enemies and pictures of people they hate. What's the point in fighting intolerance with intolerance?
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2020, 04:31:21 AM »

Because the stupid f[inks]ing thing is cancelling J. K. Rowling and not compartmentalization.

Ugh. I can't imagine listening to musicians with differing political views than me, it's just a foreign and strange concept.

I can't imagine listening to musicians and knowing what their political views are!

P. S. The correct word is "discrepancy"
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2020, 04:47:13 AM »

Whether you judge Kanye based on his personality or based on his music, the outcome is still the same.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2020, 04:56:33 AM »

what did Kanye do that's so bad?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2020, 09:33:25 AM »

Support Trump.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2020, 09:36:17 AM »

Would you have any problem listening to this band? They played the last show I went to before everything shut down and said they supported Bernie.

You opened this thread with a great point about the randomness of cancelling culture and then you decided to flush it down the toilet with this post.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2020, 09:41:25 AM »

You opened this thread with a great point about the randomness of cancelling culture and then you decided to flush it down the toilet with this post.
I'm just stating a fact. It's well known that everyone in my music scene tends toward progressive politics and that's a big part of the culture so all musicians i listen to have the same politics as me. Listening to someone who doesn't is thus tough to fathom.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2020, 09:51:06 AM »

I'm just stating a fact. It's well known that everyone in my music scene tends toward progressive politics and that's a big part of the culture so all musicians i listen to have the same politics as me. Listening to someone who doesn't is thus tough to fathom.

It's incredible tough to fantom a middle age man caring about enough about musician to seek such information about their political belief out.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2020, 10:00:48 AM »

It's incredible tough to fantom a middle age man caring about enough about musician to seek such information about their political belief out.

I don't count as middle aged yet by the usual US definition but I don't have to seek it out anyway they advertise it themselves all the time. A lot of the bands have political lyrics. As I said that band said they were voting for Bernie Sanders. Some bands do political banter between songs and hand out political memorabilia with their merch. One I saw earlier that year was selling "Emo Against Trump" shirts. Bands post about political stuff and anti-Trump stuff on their social media all the time.

And then there's song titles like this. You don't need to do much research to know this band's politics I'd say:

Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2020, 10:17:33 AM »

I do think in some ways women celebrities are held to higher political, moral, and personality standards. This also shows up with the differing receptions of Kanye and the woman celebrity he actually has a feud with, Taylor Swift, and with the fact that Stephen King has been able to position himself as wise and woke relative to JKR despite his love for Spooky Native American Lore and possibly-prurient interest in pubescent sexuality.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2020, 10:28:31 AM »

Are we no longer allowed to criticize bad people without simultaneously criticizing every bad person in existence?
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2020, 11:06:00 AM »

Kanye created good art, Rowling didn't
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2020, 11:17:49 AM »

Are we no longer allowed to criticize bad people without simultaneously criticizing every bad person in existence?
It's not just criticism though. People are doing book burnings of Rowling's books. If you do that you better never listen to a Kanye song ever again.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2020, 11:20:37 AM »

Kanye and Rowling are both exceptional artists and I have zero intention of not consuming their work.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2020, 12:02:04 PM »

I do think in some ways women celebrities are held to higher political, moral, and personality standards. This also shows up with the differing receptions of Kanye and the woman celebrity he actually has a feud with, Taylor Swift, and with the fact that Stephen King has been able to position himself as wise and woke relative to JKR despite his love for Spooky Native American Lore and possibly-prurient interest in pubescent sexuality.

And what about Cardi B? Any male artist who did the things she has done would definitely be under fire and have people calling to be cancelled.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2020, 12:03:10 PM »

Speaking as someone who enjoyed both Kanye and Rowling's work as a young person, I personally retain more affection for Kanye as an individual. With Kanye, I get something of a sense that a lot of his behavior in the past 5 years or so is the manifestation of untreated manic states--not fully up on the discourse on Kanye's mental health but I try not to hold the mental health problem's he's having against him, particularly since he's sort of being taken advantage of by the Trumpists dumbly trying to ratf[inks] Biden.

Versus J.K. Rowling, who's ostensibly left-leaning but clearly has gone down the Terfish path without any exculpatory explanations.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2020, 12:06:03 PM »

And what about Cardi B? Any male artist who did the things she has done would definitely be under fire and have people calling to be cancelled.

I know almost nothing about Cardi B so I couldn't say.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2020, 12:09:49 PM »

I know almost nothing about Cardi B so I couldn't say.
https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-48723275
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/cardi-b-drugs-robs-men-backlash_n_5c9b3367e4b072a7f6017ab8
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2020, 01:16:18 PM »

I don't see any discrepancy. A lot of people hate Kanye West.

As for Cardi B, her fanbase just doesn't care. It's safe to say people like Beet and BRTD aren't why she's popular.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2020, 02:38:03 PM »

I think the difference is that Rowling has engaged in overt bigotry against a vulnerable minority, which many people consider more problematic than supporting a politician for not overtly-bigoted reasons.

Also, Cardi B is my Berniebro queen.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies