Opinion of military police force
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 19, 2024, 07:08:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of military police force
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Opinion of military police force  (Read 164 times)
buritobr
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 17, 2020, 09:02:08 PM »

Should the police be a military or a civilian force?

I don't have a positive view on military police. Since domestic law enforcement and national defense are different duties, I don't see any motives for organizations that promote domestic law enforcement copy organizations that promote national defense.

In Brazil, each state has a military police and a civilian police. The military police makes street patrol and direct combat against criminals. It has the military ranks. The lowest one is the soldier. Then, there is sargent, lietenant, capitain, major. The highest rank is colonel.
The civilian police conducts investigation, even though it can also sometimes perform the duties of the military police.
The military police is more powerful. When brazilians hear the word "police", we remember the military police first. We remember that the civilian police exists only when we renew our ID and our driving license.
Since Brazil is NOT an example of good law enforcement, I don't think this model of two police forces works well.

In English language countries, police are civilian forces. In continental european countries, there are military policies, like the french gendarmerie and the italian carabineri, but the law enforcement in big cities are conducted by civilian polices.
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 09:16:20 PM »

In the US it's a bit of a blend. All police forces are civilian, but they sometimes have heavy military-style equipment like Humvees. Not to mention a pipeline between military membership and police employment, which is pretty common and, in my view, misguided unless the police training requirements become more rigorous. You can't learn effective policing just from being in the military, even if you were an MP which is quite a bit different than a civilian police officer. Plus there are many people in the police who are clearly mentally unbalanced and are in the position for the chance to kill people. Not everyone, but it definitely happens. Like this a-hole who murdered an unarmed man and now gets a $30k pension as a reward.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies