FL-Gov: Tom Gallagher Against Checks and Balances
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:52:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  FL-Gov: Tom Gallagher Against Checks and Balances
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FL-Gov: Tom Gallagher Against Checks and Balances  (Read 1204 times)
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 02, 2006, 08:41:30 PM »
« edited: May 02, 2006, 08:52:52 PM by Vice President Q »

From an e-mail I received today from the Florida gubernatorial campaign of Tom Gallagher:

Special Message from Tom Gallagher
May 2, 2006

Dear Friends,

Together with Governor Jeb Bush, I have strongly advocated for amending our state constitution to correct the Florida Supreme Court's activist decision striking down the Opportunity Scholarship program.  As many of you have heard by now, the effort to put this issue before the voters was defeated yesterday in the Florida Senate - by just one vote.

This was terrible news for the kids who rely on opportunity scholarships. In making their decision, the Supreme Court ignored the rule of law and bent over backwards to take away a good program that simply aimed to give children trapped in failing schools a chance at something better. I am disappointed that a few Senators could not see the importance of passing this measure and correcting the Court’s decision.

But rest assured, what happened yesterday is only a temporary setback.

I will continue to fight for educational opportunity for all children and for freedom from religious discrimination.  And together, we will continue to demand that courts stick to their job of interpreting the law, not making the law.

Yesterday's Senate vote should remind each of us that it will take strong conservative leadership to safeguard educational opportunity, traditional values, and economic growth.

It's not enough that our next governor simply be a Republican - we need the kind of Republican who stands on principle and who's willing to take on tough challenges.

I will continue to work hard to ensure that our constitution guarantees equal educational opportunity for all.  With dedication and perseverance, we are sure to prevail.

In the first paragraph, he outlines his desire to codify an assault on the system of checks and balances.

He decries the Court for "[ignoring] the rule of law."  What does he believe is the purpose of the judicial system, then, if not to uphold and strike down legislation?  He is clearly confused on the role of the branches of government.

This guy's nuts.  If he doesn't understand the function of the legislative and judicial branches, I would doubt that he is fit to serve as the head of the state's executive branch.

Furthermore, his "conservative" and "Republican" colleages dominate the State Senate that has made this ghastly mistake.  His arguments that conservative leadership and a Republican governor are essential to passing such legislation would seem unfounded given this evidence.

Gallagher just went way down in my book.  I rest easier knowing that Crist will be a good governor.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 10:53:43 PM »

Amendments are an existing check on the judiciary--not used very often...but that's exactly how the 11th amendment came to be.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies