NYTimes/Siena - Biden+9 in MN, +3 in NH, +4 in NV, +5 in WI
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 02:11:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  NYTimes/Siena - Biden+9 in MN, +3 in NH, +4 in NV, +5 in WI
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: NYTimes/Siena - Biden+9 in MN, +3 in NH, +4 in NV, +5 in WI  (Read 4538 times)
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2020, 09:53:24 AM »

There are many reasons to be skeptical about pollsters' use of education weights. I don't think there's any reason to suspect that someone lies and says they have a college degree in an exit poll but then says they are a high school graduate in a typical poll, which is the basis hypothesis of education weights. I suspect that voters lie to pollsters about their educational attainment but are truthful when confronted with the Current Population Survey.
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2020, 10:05:48 AM »

Biden at 50% and +9 in Minnesota. Maybe Atlas will finally realize there won’t be hordes of Hillary-Smith-Walz Democrats for Trump in 2020.

The only part of this poll that is concerning is New Hampshire, since Nevada polls almost always underestimate Democrats.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2020, 10:18:26 AM »

The only map where NH flips the race is the one where Biden loses PA and wins AZ.  That map is 269-267 with ME-02 and NE-02 remaining if Biden wins NH; if he loses NH, it's 265-271 and Trump wins no matter what.

It also matters for the 2016 blue wall map if Biden loses both NH and NV.  Then it's 268-268 with ME-02 and NE-02 remaining.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2020, 10:24:09 AM »

Biden doesn’t actually need NH to win anyway, but given the sample weirdness, MOE, Trump's low numbers, and high undecideds (who are leaning towards Biden mostly), and he’s still up there? Not worried about it. Probably just an outlier, even Cohn seems to think so.

NV polls always seem to underestimate Democrats. Probably in part due to the difficulty of polling Hispanics.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2020, 10:25:56 AM »

He publishes a series of polls pointing to a decisive Trump defeat and Nate Cohn's analysis is "Trump's pivot to law and order is working."
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2020, 10:26:54 AM »

He publishes a series of polls pointing to a decisive Trump defeat and Nate Cohn's analysis is "Trump's pivot to law and order is working."

Especially dumb because he’s pushing that hardest in states like MN, where it doesn’t seem to be working at all.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2020, 10:28:33 AM »

Gotta have the Horse Race (TM).
kph14
Germany

« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2020, 10:45:06 AM »

I have mapped the "Milwaukee suburbs" in DRA: https://davesredistricting.org/maps#viewmap::5a3e3a1f-cda3-4aea-b49a-833fbd91fb41

These are the results there in recent years:

Vukmir 55-45
Walker 60-39
Trump 54-39
Johnson 62-36
kph14
Germany

« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2020, 10:48:20 AM »

I have mapped the "Milwaukee suburbs" in DRA: https://davesredistricting.org/maps#viewmap::5a3e3a1f-cda3-4aea-b49a-833fbd91fb41

These are the results there in recent years:

Vukmir 55-45
Walker 60-39
Trump 54-39
Johnson 62-36

Biden at 43% there is definitely a good sign for him
kireev

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2020, 10:51:11 AM »

I think we can all agree: the electorate will not be better than this sample for Trump. And Trump is still losing: not by much and he is even tied in NH, but it's still a bad sign for him.
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2020, 10:59:07 AM »

Important to note that Biden also has a positive favorability rating in all four states (compared to Trump who is perceived negatively in all four) - this is markedly different than in 2016 when both major party candidates were perceived in an unfavorable light.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2020, 11:14:10 AM »

WI going R, and being a 269 tie isn't gonna happen, WI, MI and PA are gonna flip D
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2020, 11:22:50 AM »

Also note too that the NYT/Siena poll in NV in 2018 had Heller actually winning by 2. So the fact this has Biden winning by 4 given the polling history of that state...
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2020, 11:44:32 AM »

Sub par results for Biden in three of those states, MN looks good.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2020, 12:11:57 PM »

The Wisconsin poll has Biden leading in the Milwaukee suburbs.
LiberalDem19

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -6.26

« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2020, 12:32:19 PM »

Did they really use a 45% metro/Trump +3 sample in MN?

(Exurbs and St. Cloud aren’t metro)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2020, 12:50:39 PM »

There are many reasons to be skeptical about pollsters' use of education weights. I don't think there's any reason to suspect that someone lies and says they have a college degree in an exit poll but then says they are a high school graduate in a typical poll, which is the basis hypothesis of education weights. I suspect that voters lie to pollsters about their educational attainment but are truthful when confronted with the Current Population Survey.

That’s not how weighting works.

It’s used to correct sample size. If you take a survey and half the respondents didn’t go to college, but the state has 75% no college education, you just double the weight of the non college respondents.

It’s about ensuring an accurate sample size. And it’s not because of people lying it’s because non-college voters are less likely to respond to a survey.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2020, 12:53:21 PM »

The Wisconsin poll has Biden leading in the Milwaukee suburbs.

They had the columns for Milwaukee city and suburbs flipped.  But even with the correct data, Biden is only down 48-43 in the suburbs, which is a great showing.
republican1993
« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2020, 01:14:12 PM »

I love how people post the "race is over" if it is why r yall the first people running in here to say that?

GO TRUMP!
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2020, 01:19:19 PM »

I love how people post the "race is over" if it is why r yall the first people running in here to say that?

GO TRUMP!

I just reviewed the whole thread.  Nobody proclaimed that the race is over.  The closest anyone came was a couple of posts that said *if* a current trend continued, the race would be over:

If trump is still in the low or mid 40s on election day it is game over for him and Biden is going to be our next president

If Biden is winning young people by 40% and older people by 12%, that's total game over for Trump

There are several good reading comprehension courses online.  They may help you.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2020, 01:25:30 PM »

There are several good reading comprehension courses online.  They may help you.

But if he wasn't poorly educated then Trump wouldn't love him anymore.
Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2020, 01:35:37 PM »

The NV numbers don't really concern me. The state is notoriously hard to poll and Democrats seem to always overperform their polling. I'm still waiting to hear from Jon Ralston, although I imagine he won't have much to say until early voting really ramps up.

Keep Calm and Trust Ralston

The non-white numbers look low for Biden in NV
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2020, 01:39:14 PM »

I'm not worried about Nevada. Biden is actually doing much better than Hillary's polling, if I'm remembering correctly she was barely favored to win. Biden being +5 on average in the state is very very good.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2020, 01:59:16 PM »

The NV numbers don't really concern me. The state is notoriously hard to poll and Democrats seem to always overperform their polling. I'm still waiting to hear from Jon Ralston, although I imagine he won't have much to say until early voting really ramps up.

Keep Calm and Trust Ralston

The non-white numbers look low for Biden in NV

As I said, too early, but:

He has spoken.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #74 on: September 12, 2020, 06:19:21 PM »

Honestly this doesn't look too bad to me.

That New Hampshire number is intriguing though. Most polls have indicated that Biden is ahead by the mid to high single digits, but not so much here. Either this is an outlier or New Hampshire still is Trump's best chance at flipping a Clinton state (though it probably still won't happen even if he wins again) though I still expect Biden to keep it in the Democratic column in the end. Or it could be another Minnesota situation where we get an occasional too-close-for- comfort poll but in reality most other polls are telling a more favorable story for Biden.

That Nevada result isn't a concern to me either. After 2018 I've learned that Democrats have a very solid floor in this state too that never really comes through in polling. It may still be a single digit win, but this state really does seem gone for Republicans.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies