MacArthur v. Stevenson 1952
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:34:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  MacArthur v. Stevenson 1952
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MacArthur v. Stevenson 1952  (Read 601 times)
Hnv1
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 12, 2020, 05:55:27 AM »

How would he have done compared to Ike? He was far more right wing could have made a difference
President Biden Democrat
mrappaport1220
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 11:29:04 AM »

I'm really not sure what would have happened. It could have went either way. I'd bet on a close MacArthur victory in this election.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 10:29:29 PM »

It would depend on how MacArthur composes himself, but the campaign of the man who wanted to murder potentially hundreds of millions of Chinese people- and anyone caught in the fallout- would inevitably be closer to Goldwater '64 than Eisenhower '52. Still, America was in a more right-wing mood at the time. Everything hinges on Stevenson's ability to keep the New Deal Coalition happy, which he probably couldn't. Shivercrat types would spoil it.

Governor Adlai Stevenson (D-IL) / Senator John Sparkman (D-AL)
General Douglas MacArthur (R-AR) / Senator Robert Taft (R-OH) ✓
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 06:08:50 AM »

It would depend on how MacArthur composes himself, but the campaign of the man who wanted to murder potentially hundreds of millions of Chinese people- and anyone caught in the fallout- would inevitably be closer to Goldwater '64 than Eisenhower '52. Still, America was in a more right-wing mood at the time. Everything hinges on Stevenson's ability to keep the New Deal Coalition happy, which he probably couldn't. Shivercrat types would spoil it.

Governor Adlai Stevenson (D-IL) / Senator John Sparkman (D-AL)
General Douglas MacArthur (R-AR) / Senator Robert Taft (R-OH) ✓
MacArthur was still popular back then after his relief of duty and the Nuclear threat wasn't as clear in people's heads as it was a decade later. MacArthur\Taft would be one of the most conservative tickets ever (per their time). I agree with this map though I think Stevenson would have narrowly won NY.

It's quite possible a MacArthur\Taft ticket would see a strong moderate republican third party ticket that could change everything
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 08:39:19 AM »
« Edited: September 13, 2020, 08:42:43 AM by Anarcho-Statism »

MacArthur was still popular back then after his relief of duty and the Nuclear threat wasn't as clear in people's heads as it was a decade later. MacArthur\Taft would be one of the most conservative tickets ever (per their time). I agree with this map though I think Stevenson would have narrowly won NY.

Yes, but a conventional World War III threat was at least clear. And a lot of the military diehards would be offended by him believing he was above the president's authority.

I deliberated over New York and ultimately decided it was MacArthur's Florida 2000.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies