HB 26-07: The Disabled and Needy Rental Fairness Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 10:21:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 26-07: The Disabled and Needy Rental Fairness Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: HB 26-07: The Disabled and Needy Rental Fairness Act (Passed)  (Read 2282 times)
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 11, 2020, 12:11:44 PM »
« edited: December 12, 2020, 01:09:11 AM by People's Speaker Joseph Cao »

AN ACT
The Disabled and Needy Rental Fairness Act

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the Republic of Atlasia in Congress assembled,
Section I. Title & Definitions
i. The long title of this Act shall be the "The disabled and needy rental fairness act"

Section II. Provisions
i. All disabled and people that are currently receiving government assistance such as social security or social security disability shall not pay more security deposit within the republic of Atlasia because of their disability or needs.
    ia. This includes people with little rental history.
ii Landlords shall be banned from setting monthly rent to income requirements within their rental agreements or policies to get into an apartment.
    iia. These policies currently are 2 to 5 times the income just to get into an low income apartment that targets the poor unfairly. Such rules are unfair and are causing the homelessness problem within our cities.
iii. All waitlist shall exclude such unfair agreements such as income requirements higher then the rent.
    iiia. Waitlist shall consider rental history, criminal history and to make sure the renter has the income to afford the monthly rent.
    iiib. rental history for "needs" renters with no criminal background shall not be grounds for not letting them in.
    iiic. Most disabled people will be going from moms or a family member and can't be expected to have past rental history to get into an apartment. It isn't fair to throw our disabled and poor onto the street.
iiii. All peoples making less then $25,000 per year shall be included within the needy category and shall be included within section ii and iii above.

Section III. Goals
i. The goals of this act shall be to end homelessness and to make the system more fair to the poor of our republic.
ii. Once people have a place to stay then they'll be able to get a job, go to college and be more law abiding citizens.
    iia. This act shall provide a more socially and economically sound economy within our cities.

Section IV. Enforcement
i. All landlords found in violation of this act shall be fined $5 thousand dollars for first violation,
    ia. increasing by $2,500 + the $5k per violation then after. So second violation will be $7,500, third $10,000...etc

SECTION V. WHEN EFFECTIVE.
This resolution shall become effective when passed by Congress.

Sponsor: Jessica
House Designation: 26-07

72 hours to debate.
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 08:40:16 PM »
« Edited: September 11, 2020, 11:22:52 PM by Rep Jessica »

We have a serious homelessness problem within our cities like San Fransisco, Portland, Seattle, New york, and many other major cities throughout our land. Lets be honest, the rent is too damn high As Vermin supreme once said and the rules are hurting people and ruining their lives resulting in  millions of homeless people living on street corners and under bridges, this my friends means that they can't get a job as they're unhirable as they're dirty and unkept and they're often angry resulting in major social ununrest problems. This is unmoral and pure evil to do this to any normal person, but even worst when it is our disabled, disadvantaged and old that are taking the brunt of it.  

People in some of these cities can work forty hour per week at a job and not make enough money to get into an apartment. For example, The avg rent in San Fransisco is about $1,400 for the most basic of apartments. How exactly do you expect our disabled receiving $800 to $1,500 to get in with rules like 3 times the monthy rent in income? Believe me, this is some of what the evil landlords are expecting today throughout our land and it is destroying our cities. I am asking this congress to even the playing field and to give our disadvantage a helping hand. A helping hand that can allow them to go back to work, pay taxes and to get on with their lives.

Thank you  

Tamika Jackson
beeman
Rookie
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 06:27:55 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

I rise to ask the gentle lady of Mississippi why this should be a Federal issue and not one left to local government such as the Cities, States, or even Regions?

I yield.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 06:39:15 PM »

Like many complicated issues, housing is an area where local, state, and regional governments have proven incapable of solving major problems. In fact, many of these cities have exacerbated their specific problems with compassion clauses or simply by being a nice place to live. It's much better for the federal government to intervene so that the most vulnerable can remain in their own communities instead of congregating in other cities or states.
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 06:47:58 PM »
« Edited: September 12, 2020, 06:58:11 PM by Rep Jessica »

Mr.Speaker

My reasoning for making this a federal issue is the reality that our regions, states and city governments are either owned by the mega wealthy with greed at the heart of their actions or don't have the resources to solve the very real problems that have caused so many of these problems. So much of our crime problems currently are caused by not being able to afford housing and this is destroying our innercities.  This is threatening the social stability of our entire nation and causing mass violence on our streets that I find unacceptable. This is why it must be a federal issue as our cities, states and regions simply can't and it's threatens our nations stability. It is quickly becoming an issue of national security and stability when we have to witness our white house surrounded by such rage and hatred from people that feel that they've been screwed over in life. I'll admit that some things are in fact unfair and am doing something about it with this bill.

I yield.

SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2020, 07:01:08 PM »

Rep. Jessica, I have an idea for this bill that might require a bit of work. My idea is that we can keep the parts make renting more fair, and couple that with the construction of some large new public housings divisions in areas that have cheap land and temperate climates to be administered by the federal government and act as a more long term solution. What do you think?
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 10:16:48 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2020, 01:19:18 PM by Rep Jessica »

Rep. Jessica, I have an idea for this bill that might require a bit of work. My idea is that we can keep the parts make renting more fair, and couple that with the construction of some large new public housings divisions in areas that have cheap land and temperate climates to be administered by the federal government and act as a more long term solution. What do you think?

Sounds like a good idea! Change Section: II Previsions to Section II: Fair rent control and place a new section for federal Atlas housing as Section III.

Pretty much
                                                                  AN ACT
                                        The Disabled and Needy Rental Fairness Act

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the Republic of Atlasia in Congress assembled,
i. The long title of this Act shall be the "The disabled and needy rental fairness act"

Section II: Fair rent control

i. All disabled and people that are currently receiving government assistance such as social security or social security disability shall not pay more security deposit within the republic of Atlasia because of their disability or needs.
ii Landlords shall be banned from setting monthly rent to income requirements within their rental agreements or policies to get into an apartment.
    iia. These policies currently are 2 to 5 times the income just to get into an low income apartment that targets the poor unfairly. Such rules are unfair and are causing the homelessness problem within our cities.
iii. All waitlist shall exclude such unfair agreements such as income requirements higher then the rent.
    iiia. Waitlist shall consider rental history, criminal history and to make sure the renter has the income to afford the monthly rent.
    iiib. rental history for "needs" renters with no criminal background shall not be grounds for not letting them in.
    iiic. Most disabled people will be going from moms or a family member and can't be expected to have past rental history to get into an apartment. It isn't fair to throw our disabled and poor onto the street.
iv. All peoples making less then $25,000 per year shall be included within the needy category and shall be included within section ii and iii above.
iva. All people within the needy category must be employed or actively seeking employment.

Section III: Federal Atlas housing
I. Atlas housing shall be either Federally subsidized apartments or housing on government owned land.
II. Lands currently owned by the federal government of Atlasia shall be used to construct apartments to house the homeless and needy.
IIa. Apartments shall be constructed to meet the needs of the homeless population within the area. 
IIb. $10 billion dollars shall be set aside for the construction of federal housing on public lands.
IIc. All apartments must be 400 sq or larger.
IIca. Depending on size of family.
IIcb. 2 people shall receive housing of 550 sq, 3-4 people shall receive 700 sq, etc.   
IId. All apartments must be inspected once every two years to make sure electrical wiring and plumbing is in working order.
III. Subsidies for apartments upwards of $1,500/shall be available for all disabled and needy people.    
IIIa. $4 billion dollars shall be set aside for apartment subsidies.
IV. All housing and subsidies shall be administrated by the federal department of housing(HUD).
Section IV: Requirements for people within the needy category enlisted in Atlas housing
i: The needy shall be required to seek employment within 3 months of receiving housing and hold down a job.
ia. This job shall be required to be 12 hours or part time at a minimum to continue to receive help.
ib. Unless the needs person writes a letter to HUD and gets a 3 months extension.
ic. This extension shall only be renewed once within a 12 month period.
ii. All disabled and SSI receivers shall receive all benefits as they do under section 2 plus all the benefits within section 3.

Section V. Enforcement of rental control section II on landlords
i. All landlords found in violation of this act shall be fined $5 thousand dollars for first violation,
ia. increasing by $2,500 + the $5k per violation then after. So second violation will be $7,500, third $10,000...etc

Section VI. Goals

i. The goals of this act shall be to end homelessness and to make the system more fair to the poor of our republic.
ii. Once people have a place to stay then they'll be able to get a job, go to college and be more law abiding citizens.
iia. This act shall provide a more socially and economically sound economy within our cities.

SECTION VIII. WHEN EFFECTIVE.
This resolution shall become effective when passed by Congress.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2020, 12:30:15 AM »

Rep. Jessica, I have some tweaks to formalize this a bit if that's okay with you. It might take me a day or two though. I will build upon your latest changes.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2020, 12:27:08 AM »

Ftr, I need a little more time for this. It's an important project so there should be no harm in making sure we get it right.
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2020, 12:36:04 AM »

Ftr, I need a little more time for this. It's an important project so there should be no harm in making sure we get it right.

Good idea! Get it right.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2020, 11:40:31 PM »

Update: I'm still working on this don't worry. Smiley
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2020, 11:44:17 AM »

Mr.Speaker

I ask when will seven have his improvements ready? Our poor and homeless need help and we need to get it done for them.

I yield
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2020, 12:58:08 AM »

Mr.Speaker

I ask when will seven have his improvements ready? Our poor and homeless need help and we need to get it done for them.

I yield

I will have it ready very soon, sorry, I've been dealing with some stuff at the moment.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2020, 08:42:59 PM »
« Edited: October 19, 2020, 09:09:55 PM by sev »

AN ACT
                                        The Housing Reform Act for Needy Atlasians
i. The long title of this Act shall be the "The Housing Reform Act for Needy Atlasians"

Section II: Fair Rent Provisions

i. All disabled and SSI/SSDI recipients shall not pay more security deposit within the Republic of Atlasia because of their disability or needs.
ii Landlords shall be banned from setting monthly rent to income requirements higher than 2-1 within their rental agreements or policies to get into an apartment.
iii. All waitlists shall exclude factors such as income requirements higher than twice the rent or rental history.
iv. All peoples making less then $25,000 per year shall be included within the needy category and shall be included within section ii and iii above.
iva. All people within the needy category must be employed or actively seeking employment.

Section III: Federal Housing
i. The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) is granted $50 billion to construct affordable modular home complexes.
ii. These complexes will provide housing for those who cannot adequately provide for themselves.
iii. The first three complexes should be able to house up to 20,000 people.
iiia. The recommended locations are Colby, KS, Ellisville, MS, and Grayson, KY.
iiib. Each unit shall be between 400 and 500 square feet of living space.
iiic. Each unit shall meet the electrical and plumbing requirements determined by HUD.
iv. Residents will receive a monthly stipend of $300.
iva. Residents will have access to work opportunities to earn more money.
v. HUD shall work with the regional and local governments to ensure that homeless populations are matched with a home.
Section IV. Expansion of Subsidies
i. HUD is granted $10 billion to expand rent subsidies for low-income and disabled Atlasians
ia. Preference will be given to SSI/SSDI recipients.
ii. These subsidies shall not exceed 50% of rent or $700 per renter, whichever is greater.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2020, 12:18:54 AM »

I will ask the sponsor if this amendment is to be considered friendly or unfriendly.

Also, to Sev, are there justifications for the three recommended locations for modular home complexes in Section III? Is this section in general in compliance with existing HUD regulations?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2020, 12:26:10 AM »

I will ask the sponsor if this amendment is to be considered friendly or unfriendly.

Also, to Sev, are there justifications for the three recommended locations for modular home complexes in Section III? Is this section in general in compliance with existing HUD regulations?

Actually, the locations I've suggested were chosen due to their proximity to major transportation arteries, open land available, and the ability to boost economies that could use the help. What I didn't do was provide a mechanism to change that based on HUD analysis, but it's something I think we should consider. I'll let the sponsor respond first, and my fullest apologies to Rep. Jessica for taking so long.
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2020, 10:52:58 PM »

I''ll say friendly.

I do disagree with location as the heartland isn't where 98% of our homeless live and would move them away from any extended family. I believe the housing should be near the cities that are most effected by homelessness. But that is something we will workout with sev.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2020, 11:09:09 PM »

I''ll say friendly.

I do disagree with location as the heartland isn't where 98% of our homeless live and would move them away from any extended family. I believe the housing should be near the cities that are most effected by homelessness. But that is something we will workout with sev.

Yeah we can work on that if you'd like. I tried to choose areas where land would be cheap and there's a lot of space, for efficiency purposes. But there are plenty of alternatives to what I've suggested, as well. I would point out, though, that where homeless are isn't necessarily where homeless are from. If you're going to be living on the streets, why wouldn't you grab a bus pass to Los Angeles or San Diego?

One positive is that the rental provisions of the bill will help prevent future homelessness, so you're attacking the problem from multiple angles.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2020, 12:22:47 AM »

I'll say friendly.

Right then. The amendment is adopted.

I do have thoughts on this as well, but there are clearly more amendments on the way and I'd prefer if other representatives could offer their input on all this.
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2020, 04:37:46 PM »
« Edited: November 07, 2020, 04:45:16 PM by Rep Jessica »

Mr.Speaker

If we're going to build the housing in the heartland then we should also help the poor and homeless get to that housing. What is Sevenelevens ideas on that? It takes hundreds of dollars to take a plane from La, Portland, Seattle, New york, Miami or any coastal city to Kansas.

I believe a train or airline subsidy should be granted for the homeless to get to their new home.

I yield
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2020, 05:00:37 PM »
« Edited: November 12, 2020, 05:12:57 PM by Rep Jessica »

My amendment with my solution to getting the homeless to their new home. It is the right thing to do.
                                                                  AN ACT
                                        The Housing Reform Act for Needy Atlasians
i. The long title of this Act shall be the "The Housing Reform Act for Needy Atlasians"

Section II: Fair Rent Provisions

i. All disabled and SSI/SSDI recipients shall not pay more security deposit within the Republic of Atlasia because of their disability or needs.
ii Landlords shall be banned from setting monthly rent to income requirements higher than 2-1 within their rental agreements or policies to get into an apartment.
iii. All waitlists shall exclude factors such as income requirements higher than twice the rent or rental history.

Section III: Federal Housing
i. The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) is granted $50 billion to construct affordable modular home complexes.
ii. These complexes will provide housing for those who cannot adequately provide for themselves.
iii. The first three complexes should be able to house up to 20,000 people.
iiia. The recommended locations are Colby, KS, Ellisville, MS, and Grayson, KY.
iiib. Each unit shall be between 400 and 500 square feet of living space.
iiic. Each unit shall meet the electrical and plumbing requirements determined by HUD.
iv. Residents will receive a monthly stipend of $300.
iva. Residents will have access to work opportunities to earn more money.
v. HUD shall work with the regional and local governments to ensure that homeless populations are matched with a home.
Section IV. Expansion of Subsidies
i. HUD is granted $10 billion to expand rent subsidies for low-income and disabled Atlasians
ia. Preference will be given to SSI/SSDI recipients.
ii. These subsidies shall not exceed 50% of rent or $700 per renter, whichever is greater.
Section V: Transportation subsidies
I. For Transportation for all disabled and needy approved residents of section III.
II. All that are approved shall get free government paid airplane, grayhound bus or train tickets.
III. The government shall grant 30 million dollars yearly for this program.
IIIa money shall be doled out by HUD.

Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2020, 01:46:32 AM »

Hmm. I'm not opposed to this measure, but I'll object so we can see what the rest of the House thinks.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2020, 01:50:11 AM »

A vote is open on this amendment.

Representatives have 72 hours to vote. Please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain. (And please try to add a justification for your vote. Debate is dying here, folks.)
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2020, 12:03:23 PM »

Wording should be cleared up a bit, but Aye.
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2020, 12:11:42 PM »

Aye-The homeless that live mainly on the coast need the ability to get to the shelters in the heartland.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies