SB 26.02 Atlasia Wine Official Classification Act of 2020
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:59:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 26.02 Atlasia Wine Official Classification Act of 2020
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SB 26.02 Atlasia Wine Official Classification Act of 2020  (Read 1228 times)
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 11, 2020, 01:07:01 AM »
« edited: September 11, 2020, 01:17:26 AM by MB »

An act to guarantee and reward quality wine

Section I. Title.

This bill shall be referred to as the “Atlasia Wine Official Classification Act of 2020”.

Section II. Definitions

A. An “Atlasian wine” shall be any wine made with at least 85% grapes grown in Atlasia.

Section III. Establishment

A. Reds

I. A competition shall be held every 9 years with any winery being allowed to submit any of their Atlasian wine which shall fit the selected category produced within the previous eight years for judging. There is no limit to how many wines a winery may submit, but they must pay $3,000 for their first submission and $1,000 for any additional wine they submit. Each submission must include at least two cases of wines - the equivalent of twenty-four 750 ml bottles or 15 litres total.

II. The available wine categories for the competition are: Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Zinfandel and Primitivo, Syrah and Shiraz, Barbera and Sangiovese, and Red Blends.

III. Each varietal of wine shall be judged by a grand panel of 10 wine experts, 5 celebrities, 5 politicians, and 5 ordinary citizens, selected at random from a pool of applicants. Each judge shall rank each wine on a scale of 0-1000.

IV. The five wines within each category with the highest sum scores shall be permitted to use the “Superior Growth” label on all of that category of wines produced within the next nine years’ vintages. The next ten highest scoring wines within each category shall be permitted to use the “First Growth” label on all of that category of wines produced within the next nine years’ vintages, and with “Second Growth” on the next twenty highest-scoring wines, and so on with “Third” and “Fourth Growths”, each doubling in size of the category. If there are fewer than 200 submissions in any category, then the highest number of categories that can be entirely filled by the submissions shall be the final one.  

B. Whites and Roses

I. A competition shall be held every 6 years with any winery being allowed to submit any of their Atlasian wine which shall fit the selected category produced within the previous five years for judging. There is no limit to how many wines a winery may submit, but they must pay $2,500 for their first submission and $1,000 for any additional wine they submit. Each submission must include at least two cases of wines - the equivalent of twenty-four 750 ml bottles or 15 litres total.

II. The available wine categories for the competition are: Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Gris and Pinot Blanc, Chardonnay, Viognier, Muscat and Moscato, Rosés, and White Blends.

III. Each varietal of wine shall be judged by a grand panel of 10 wine experts, 5 celebrities, 5 politicians, and 5 ordinary citizens, selected at random from a pool of applicants. Each judge shall rank each wine on a scale of 0-1000.

IV. The five wines within each category with the highest sum scores shall be permitted to use the “Superior Growth” label on all of that category of wines produced within the next six years’ vintages. The next ten highest scoring wines within each category shall be permitted to use the “First Growth” label on all of that category of wines produced within the next six years’ vintages, and with “Second Growth” on the next twenty highest-scoring wines, and so on with “Third” and “Fourth Growths”, each doubling in size of the category. If there are fewer than 200 submissions in any category, then the highest number of categories that can be entirely filled by the submissions shall be the final one.  

C. Champagnes and Sparkling Wines

I. A competition shall be held every 6 years with any winery being allowed to submit any of their Atlasian wine which shall fit the selected category produced within the previous five years for judging. There is no limit to how many wines a winery may submit, but they must pay $5,000 for their first submission and $1,500 for any additional wine they submit. Each submission must include at least two cases of wines - the equivalent of twenty-four 750 ml bottles or 15 litres total.

II. The available wine categories for the competition are: Blanc de blancs, Blanc de noirs, Cuveés, Prosecco, and Sweet Sparkling Wines.  

IV. The five wines within each category with the highest sum scores shall be permitted to use the “Superior Growth” label on all of that category of wines produced within the next six years’ vintages. The next ten highest scoring wines within each category shall be permitted to use the “First Growth” label on all of that category of wines produced within the next six years’ vintages, and so on with “Second Growth” on the next twenty highest-scoring wines.

Section IV. Funding and Logistics

A. Competitions shall be hosted by cities across Atlasia, with applications by cities to be submitted to and selected by the Department of Agriculture. The cities shall be expected to provide a space for hosting and housing, with funds received from competition applicants to be directed to the host city’s event budget.

B. Usage of the scoring “Growth” terms shall be enforced by the Department of Justice, with a $100,000 fine for an illegal use of the label as well as an additional $100 per bottle sold without having met the competitive qualification for use of the label.

Section V. Promotion

I. Winning wine vintages will be promoted at the annual "Catalina Wine Mixer".

II. Wineries of distinction shall also be permitted to promote new vintages at the "Catalina Wine Mixer".

Section VI. Implementation

The first competition shall be held jointly for all three types of wines in 2021.

House of Representatives:
Passed the House of Representatives 5-0-1-3

Sponsor needed.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 02:54:34 AM »

I can sponsor
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 04:43:10 PM »

24 hours to object, 72 hours to debate.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 08:06:48 PM »

Okay, I'll open by saying: I have never had so much as a sip of wine in my life. However, I know enough about the red/white/pink stuff to understand that wine isn't just a fun, fancy drink for special occasions -- in many parts of this country, it's the backbone of the local economy. This bill would help Atlasia's wineries at relatively low cost to the federal government, by classifying wines and introducing new competition in the industry. I urge my colleagues to vote in favor. Thank you.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 08:50:27 PM »

Act quickly before this happens!

Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 11:43:00 AM »

Act quickly before this happens!

I was going to argue that this was a frivolous bill, but after seeing this I am convinced it is vital that we act now, so that this kind of affront to gastronomy does not happen again.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 03:21:28 PM »

As someone who has never consumed an alcoholic beverage, can someone explain why the taco bell thing is a problem?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2020, 03:22:37 PM »

Also why it is necessary for the federal gov't to step in here? If it is terrible, won't people just not buy it?
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2020, 11:55:18 AM »

This isn’t something the government should be involved in.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2020, 01:26:03 PM »

Ah my questions have not been responded to.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2020, 01:38:05 PM »

Also why it is necessary for the federal gov't to step in here? If it is terrible, won't people just not buy it?

This is something that any prideful wine-producing nation already does at the federal level. I'm not sure how you would classify wines at any non-national level of government.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2020, 01:40:55 PM »

[/quote
I mean, there are plenty of government issued lables to ensure that products are of good quality? (Especially for "local specialties" or stuff like ecological produce)

This is not too far from that concept
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2020, 01:46:50 PM »

I mean, there are plenty of government issued lables to ensure that products are of good quality? (Especially for "local specialties" or stuff like ecological produce)

So you mean the kinds of things that Mr. R spent a good part of his time eliminating and which I happily signed the elimination of as President, such as regulating the exact composition of a fruit cake as I recall?
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2020, 03:31:35 PM »

So you mean the kinds of things that Mr. R spent a good part of his time eliminating and which I happily signed the elimination of as President, such as regulating the exact composition of a fruit cake as I recall?

I was thinking more along the lines of this?

https://europa.eu/youreurope/business/running-business/intellectual-property/geographical-indications/index_en.htm

(No idea if there is an equivalent American thing but I'd be surprised if there was no such program whatsoever)
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2020, 09:20:41 PM »

I motion for a final vote
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2020, 11:23:17 AM »

Senators have 24 hours to object.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2020, 02:24:38 AM »

Final vote started. 72 hours.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2020, 04:49:36 AM »

Aye
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2020, 07:39:00 PM »

Nay
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2020, 07:56:23 PM »

Aye
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2020, 08:55:35 PM »

NAY
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2020, 12:59:48 AM »

Aye
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2020, 01:22:37 PM »

Aye
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2020, 11:45:00 PM »

An act to guarantee and reward quality wine

Section I. Title.

This bill shall be referred to as the “Atlasia Wine Official Classification Act of 2020”.

Section II. Definitions

A. An “Atlasian wine” shall be any wine made with at least 85% grapes grown in Atlasia.

Section III. Establishment

A. Reds

I. A competition shall be held every 9 years with any winery being allowed to submit any of their Atlasian wine which shall fit the selected category produced within the previous eight years for judging. There is no limit to how many wines a winery may submit, but they must pay $3,000 for their first submission and $1,000 for any additional wine they submit. Each submission must include at least two cases of wines - the equivalent of twenty-four 750 ml bottles or 15 litres total.

II. The available wine categories for the competition are: Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Zinfandel and Primitivo, Syrah and Shiraz, Barbera and Sangiovese, and Red Blends.

IV. The five wines within each category with the highest sum scores shall be permitted to use the “Superior Growth” label on all of that category of wines produced within the next nine years’ vintages. The next ten highest scoring wines within each category shall be permitted to use the “First Growth” label on all of that category of wines produced within the next nine years’ vintages, and with “Second Growth” on the next twenty highest-scoring wines, and so on with “Third” and “Fourth Growths”, each doubling in size of the category. If there are fewer than 200 submissions in any category, then the highest number of categories that can be entirely filled by the submissions shall be the final one.  

B. Whites and Roses

I. A competition shall be held every 6 years with any winery being allowed to submit any of their Atlasian wine which shall fit the selected category produced within the previous five years for judging. There is no limit to how many wines a winery may submit, but they must pay $2,500 for their first submission and $1,000 for any additional wine they submit. Each submission must include at least two cases of wines - the equivalent of twenty-four 750 ml bottles or 15 litres total.

II. The available wine categories for the competition are: Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Gris and Pinot Blanc, Chardonnay, Viognier, Muscat and Moscato, Rosés, and White Blends.

IV. The five wines within each category with the highest sum scores shall be permitted to use the “Superior Growth” label on all of that category of wines produced within the next six years’ vintages. The next ten highest scoring wines within each category shall be permitted to use the “First Growth” label on all of that category of wines produced within the next six years’ vintages, and with “Second Growth” on the next twenty highest-scoring wines, and so on with “Third” and “Fourth Growths”, each doubling in size of the category. If there are fewer than 200 submissions in any category, then the highest number of categories that can be entirely filled by the submissions shall be the final one.  

C. Champagnes and Sparkling Wines

I. A competition shall be held every 6 years with any winery being allowed to submit any of their Atlasian wine which shall fit the selected category produced within the previous five years for judging. There is no limit to how many wines a winery may submit, but they must pay $5,000 for their first submission and $1,500 for any additional wine they submit. Each submission must include at least two cases of wines - the equivalent of twenty-four 750 ml bottles or 15 litres total.

II. The available wine categories for the competition are: Blanc de blancs, Blanc de noirs, Cuveés, Prosecco, and Sweet Sparkling Wines.  

IV. The five wines within each category with the highest sum scores shall be permitted to use the “Superior Growth” label on all of that category of wines produced within the next six years’ vintages. The next ten highest scoring wines within each category shall be permitted to use the “First Growth” label on all of that category of wines produced within the next six years’ vintages, and so on with “Second Growth” on the next twenty highest-scoring wines.

Section IV. Funding and Logistics

A. Competitions shall be hosted by cities across Atlasia, with applications by cities to be submitted to and selected by the Department of Agriculture. The cities shall be expected to provide a space for hosting and housing, with funds received from competition applicants to be directed to the host city’s event budget.

B. Usage of the scoring “Growth” terms shall be enforced by the Department of Justice, with a $100,000 fine for an illegal use of the label as well as an additional $100 per bottle sold without having met the competitive qualification for use of the label.

Section V. Promotion

I. Winning wine vintages will be promoted at the annual "Catalina Wine Mixer".

II. Wineries of distinction shall also be permitted to promote new vintages at the "Catalina Wine Mixer".

Section VI. Implementation

The first competition shall be held jointly for all three types of wines in 2021.

House of Representatives:
Passed the House of Representatives 5-0-1-3

Passed the Senate 4-2

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies