If the Canadian provinces were US states, how would they vote in 2020?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:20:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  If the Canadian provinces were US states, how would they vote in 2020?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If the Canadian provinces were US states, how would they vote in 2020?  (Read 632 times)
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 10, 2020, 04:53:27 PM »

Obviously, Biden wins the country overall, but would Trump carry any provinces in the west?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 04:56:49 PM »

Obviously, Biden wins the country overall, but would Trump carry any provinces in the west?

No. We do polling of this sort once in a while, and Republicans never lead in any province, even Alberta.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 01:47:30 AM »

Canadian-switched-to-American political geography has been discussed before. If we extrapolate the general consensus from this thread to 2020, for example, most provinces obviously vote D. The possible exceptions are Alberta/Saskatchewan (the main point of contention, possibly some unholy mix of Montana, Colorado, and the Plains states); the immediate Maritimes, i.e. Nova Scotia and New Brunswick (which could either be an extension of ME/NH as a whole or of just ME-02); and Québec, where I'm honestly not sure where the Bloc voters would go party-wise.

Of course, this all assumes that Canadian provinces have been in the US for a while and their political evolution has followed those of the 50 states. If present-day Canada suddenly gets transplanted to the US, then obviously the RL polling mentioned above would indicate a Biden sweep.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 10:28:54 AM »
« Edited: September 11, 2020, 10:36:46 AM by Anarcho-Statism »

We do polling of this sort once in a while
Canadian-switched-to-American political geography has been discussed before.

I know, I've read those threads. I'm just doing the latest one.

Of course, this all assumes that Canadian provinces have been in the US for a while and their political evolution has followed those of the 50 states. If present-day Canada suddenly gets transplanted to the US, then obviously the RL polling mentioned above would indicate a Biden sweep.

Yeah, the process of annexation or the alternate history behind this has no effect on this hypothetical election. Just Canada, in a vacuum, voting in 2020.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2020, 04:12:28 PM »

Alberta is very urbanized, 2/3 of Albertans live in Calgary and Edmonton which makes it very different from the thinly populated states it borders, in some ways it lines up more with Colorado (very urban, Plains meets Mountains).  The dominance of the oil industry (cultural as much as economic) of the oil industry however leaves a bit of a wild card in terms of how it would vote in the US.  Though it obviously wouldn't play the outsized role like it does in Canadian politics, where it is the heart of the conservative movement.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies