One Last Time from West Branch, Iowa
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:26:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  One Last Time from West Branch, Iowa
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: One Last Time from West Branch, Iowa  (Read 1329 times)
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 30, 2006, 06:55:09 PM »

(West Branch, Iowa)

(PBrunsel walks to the podium in front of the Herbert Hoover Presidential Library as the band plays a solemn version of, “The Battle Hymn of the Republic.”)

My friends,

You have stood by me, you have supported me, and you have laughed and cried by me since I first announced my candidacy for the now important office of Vice-President more than two years ago. You have never abandoned me, despite my many defeats, and have never mocked me, despite my many flaws. It is to you, the great Moral Masses, those who work hard everyday to make ends meet, those who are paying the taxes, supporting the churches, and acting civil and kind to one another. Politics needs more West Branchers, more people who see that civics is not a game of fear and fighting, but of humanity and civility.

Today I announce that I lost a race that Herbert Hoover would have been proud of. Not much was said by ilikeverin, in fact he didn’t say a word, but that last time I ran against him he did the same thing, and he won. You see, two years ago almost to the day I lost in a landslide to that ever optimistic fellow from the Land of 10,000 Lakes to be the first Governor of the Midwest Region. I traveled to every state in the Midwest at least three times each and gave a detailed description of my plan for governor, while Verin said nothing. He won, and I lost, and it was my first defeat of many. I should have learned from my mistakes and not said one dang thing this campaign, perhaps I could have won. However, I chose to speak out about the sanctity of life and tell the people that you are either pro-life or pro-death, there is no middle ground. However, people don’t always want to be told that a devil is a devil, so I was beat.

I concede to ilikeverin because I know he’ll be a nice guy to everyone in the Senate, but I don’t really know what he’ll do in the Senate since he didn’t say anything. I’d wish him well with his plans, but I don’t know them. I can only hope that when he releases his plans for the nation he can run with them and they can be blessed to pass.

As for me I am leaving Atlasian politics. I can no longer campaign for it does not matter how much I speak and debate since I am defeated by mere avatar voting. I can live with this, but I don’t have to participate in it. I’ve done it all, I’ve experienced it all. I have been President, Governor, and a Senator for two terms. I have no more mountains to conquer, no more bridges to cross.

I now will fade into the landscape of history, for old Presidents never die, they just fade away. I am staying here in West Branch where people know when your sick, and care when you die. My friends, throughout my long and fruitful career here in Atlasia I have never forgotten where I came from and where I would return.

For we dreamed, and they came true; We fought, and the battle is won; and we have crusaded, and now the crusade must end.
Good night and God bless.

(PBrunsel waves to the crowd and enters the Hoover Museum while Lee Greenwood’s “I’m Proud to be an American” plays.)
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 06:59:03 PM »

Sad to see you go. Sad
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 06:59:50 PM »

Silly PB, what do you call this? Smiley

Don't leave from politics Sad
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 07:01:40 PM »

I hope that this doesn't mean that we won't have PBrunsel to kick around any more, because even when we've disagreed, I have welcomed the opportunity to test wits with you.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 07:05:36 PM »

Don't leave politics PB. You are an excellent politician and a great person to work with. You have been vidicated by history as one of the best Atlasian presidents and you have been a standard bearer for honesty, integrity and deep values. I truely wish that you change your mind and stay in politics.

West Branch will probably get boring anyway. Wink
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 07:10:28 PM »

Very nice speech, PB. I hope you dont go, but wish you the best luck if you do. You are a noble member who will be in the hearts and minds of Atlasia forever. Smiley
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2006, 07:21:00 PM »
« Edited: April 30, 2006, 07:25:12 PM by Governor Afleitch »

However, I chose to speak out about the sanctity of life and tell the people that you are either pro-life or pro-death, there is no middle ground. However, people don’t always want to be told that a devil is a devil, so I was beat.

Sadly that, plus your political history seemed to be all that you talked about. A one issue campaign is neither better nor worse than no campaign at all. If you had responded to my question regarding your position on economics then I would have voted for you, but I chose to withhold that vote in the second round. I could not bring myself to elect a moralist senator.

However please re-condiser your decision to leave Atlasian politics altogether. While this campaign was not strong, others can be and you have a passion, as much as I disagree with it, that would be missed.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2006, 08:34:59 PM »

I know what you mean, PBrunsel.  In every way you ran a superior campaign and your leadership has awlays been superior to that of your opponent.  I don't want to be outspoken on this, because that's a quality that's always looked down upon on this forum, but it is part of a problem that prevents me from putting my full effort into atlas fantasy politics, and part of why I will never seek the Presidency here.

You were probably one of our greatest presidents, on that notes, and I think your exit probably marks one of the most important events in our political sim for quite a while.  I also believe it will mark a point of decline, after this I don't see this political sim flourishing democraticly as it has before.

Farewell
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2006, 08:38:32 PM »

Pbrunsel, you may have had different views than me, but you were a person I could respect.  Best of luck in future endeavors.
Yates

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.54

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2006, 09:25:26 PM »

Paul,

You have guided me during my time in Atlasia, and you have had a noble Atlasian career.  You are an unusually kind person, and a fellow Iowan.  It is sad to lose you from the fantasy elections.

Yours sincerely,
Yates
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2006, 09:48:09 PM »

I'm very disappointed by your defeat but even more disappointed with your decision to leave. Don't go.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2006, 11:02:58 PM »

I never post down here anymore, but I came down for PB.  He's a great guy, and Atlasia is better for having had him.  Congratulations on a great career, and good luck in real life.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2006, 11:07:01 PM »

You will be missed PB.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2006, 12:33:20 AM »

We'll miss you PBrunsel.

Besides, having ilikeverin in the Senate is a good reason to blow up the damn building anyways.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2006, 09:01:11 AM »

I certainly don't think you should quit altogether and urge you to reconsider Smiley. Ilikeverin scraped to victory. Only time will tell, as indeed, it does for any other senator, if he is worthy of his victory

I can understand your disappointment, but I've always thought that avatar voting (something, which I in the early days was guilty of, which on reflection, I do regret) was on the decline Smiley

There is no doubt in mind, that had you won, you would have been a very committed senator, with whom, as I would with any other senator, sought out common ground Smiley. However, it is not always the case Sad, that those who wage the most tenacious campaigns win

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, but I urge you to reconsider and live to fight another day

Dave 'Hawk'
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2006, 09:44:54 AM »

^^^^^^^^
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2006, 10:13:41 AM »

It's really sad to see you go PB, you would have made a great Senator.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2006, 11:51:48 AM »

Come on some of you guys, rather than saying you're sad to see Brunsel go, you should be encouraging him to stay Smiley

Dave
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2006, 02:04:02 PM »

Oh, don't go and leave PB - Atlasia needs some counterweights to the left-libertarians. Wink
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2006, 04:44:12 PM »

I think a few of you have gotten me wrong, I am not leaving Atlasia, I simply leaving the government. I am not pulling a MAS here (threw that line in for Phil Wink ). I am still going to vote and keep up on the issues, i'm just not running anything ever again and will most likely not do a lot of posting in this little section of the forum.

I am by no means leaving Atlasia or the forum. Smiley
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2006, 04:46:49 PM »

i'm just not running anything ever again

Oh, sure.  Tongue  You'll be running again and we all know that you want to be President for a second time.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2006, 09:55:28 AM »

I am by no means leaving Atlasia or the forum. Smiley

Pleased to hear it Smiley

Dave
Pages: [1]