A Democrats gain control of Congress in 1996 timeline
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:18:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  A Democrats gain control of Congress in 1996 timeline
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A Democrats gain control of Congress in 1996 timeline  (Read 951 times)
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 08, 2020, 11:42:29 PM »
« edited: September 09, 2020, 06:01:32 PM by darklordoftech »

January 1, 1996: Bill Clinton announces the return of James Carville, David Wilhelm, and George Stephanopoulos for his re-election campaign. Clinton decides not to employ or take any advice from Dick Morris or Mark Penn, being umimpressed by their obsession with “soccer moms” and declaring, “I may be a third way Democrat, but at the end of the day, I’m still a Democrat.” Debra DeLee announces her intention to remain DNC Chair throughout 1996.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 07:48:37 AM »

Impeachment certainly would have not happened in 1998.  Perhaps it happens in 1999 instead after Republicans regain Congress in 1998.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 06:01:04 PM »
« Edited: September 09, 2020, 07:24:36 PM by darklordoftech »

February 8, 1996: In front of the White House and the press, Bill Clinton vetoes the Telecommunications Act, declaring that “corporate consolidation and censorship have always been bad for society.” Standing next to the President is John McCain, Janet Reno, Tipper Gore, and Dee Snider.

Tom Brokaw: Senator McCain, what brings you here today?
McCain: I’m the only Republican who voted against the Telecommunications Act. Like Clinton, I recognize the dangers of corporate consolidation. I commend Clinton for standing up for consumer rights rather than doing the bidding of Hollywood shareholders.

Reno: Enforcing anti-trust laws is one of my main jobs as Attorney General. I thank President Clinton for understanding that.

Tipper Gore: I once believed in censorship, but I have seen the error of my ways.

Dee Snider: I’m glad that Mrs. Gore as seen the error of her ways and that President Clinton respects the First Amendment.

Brokaw: The Telecommunications Act has been defeated by Presidential veto. It has no future unless President Clinton is defeated in November.

February 9, 1996: Brokaw: Polls show that voters appreciate President Clinton for standing up to big telecom.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 10:14:30 PM »

August 22, 1996: Bill Clinton has vetoed the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Act. He says it “would leave children in poverty” and that it goes beyond what he had in mind when he said, “end welfare as we know it.”
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 05:44:17 PM »

August 29, 1996: Brokaw: With Bob Dole failing to receive a convention bounce and Clinton clearly on his way to re-election, it seems that both parties will invest in Congressional races and voter registration.

Debra DeLee: That is correct as far as the Democratic Party goes.

Haley Barbour: It’s also correct as far as the Republican Party goes.

darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2020, 11:42:10 PM »

September 16, 1996: The Fraternal Order of Police has endorsed Bill Clinton for re-election. They say the Assault Weapons Ban, and the fear that Dole would repeal it, is their main reason. They thank Joe Biden for writing crime bills and they thank Dianne Feinstein for writing the Assault Weapons Ban amendment to the 1994 crime bill.

Brokaw: Senator Dole, what do you say to this?
Dole: I can’t believe that law enforcement would endorse a pothead.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 07:53:33 AM »

November 5, 1996: Bill Clinton is re-elected in a landslide, and both Houses of Congress have flipped. Democratic candidates for House and Senate won by tying their opponents to Gingrich and running against raising Medicare premiums, telecom deregulation, and the near-abolition of welfare.

President Bill Clinton/Vice President Al Gore: 470
Senator Bob Dole/HUD Secretary Jack Kemp: 68
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2020, 10:10:09 AM »

January 3, 1997: Dick Gephardt has been chosen as Speaker of the House. Dick Armey has been chosen as Minority Leader and Tom Delay as Minority Whip. Gingrich has been denied a leadership role in the 105th Congress because his party blames him for their defeat in 1996.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2020, 05:00:22 PM »

February 10, 1997: Bill and Hillary Clinton have asked Congress to come up with a healthcare plan. Unlike last time, they’re giving Congress total freedom to design it.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2020, 05:06:10 PM »

November 5, 1996: Bill Clinton is re-elected in a landslide, and both Houses of Congress have flipped. Democratic candidates for House and Senate won by tying their opponents to Gingrich and running against raising Medicare premiums, telecom deregulation, and the near-abolition of welfare.

President Bill Clinton/Vice President Al Gore: 470
Senator Bob Dole/HUD Secretary Jack Kemp: 68

Sorry to nitpick, but no way Clinton would win SC, especially ahead of SD.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies