HB 26-04: No Coronavirus Copays for Veterans Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:06:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 26-04: No Coronavirus Copays for Veterans Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: HB 26-04: No Coronavirus Copays for Veterans Act (Passed)  (Read 1669 times)
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 08, 2020, 11:40:18 PM »
« edited: October 31, 2020, 01:47:27 AM by People's Speaker Joseph Cao »

HOUSE BILL
To prohibit the Secretary of Veterans Affairs from charging veterans copayments for preventive services relating to COVID–19.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the Republic of Atlasia in Congress assembled,
SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the “No Coronavirus Copays for Veterans Act”.

SEC. 2. PROHIBITION ON COPAYMENTS AND COST SHARING FOR VETERANS RECEIVING PREVENTIVE SERVICES RELATING TO COVID–19.

(a) Prohibition.—The Secretary of Veterans Affairs may not require any copayment or other cost sharing under chapter 17 of title 38, United States Code, for qualifying coronavirus preventive services. The requirement described in this subsection shall take effect with respect to a qualifying coronavirus preventive service starting on the specified date.

(b) Definitions.—In this section, the terms “qualifying coronavirus preventive service” includes any treatment related to coronavirus testing, diagnosis, and treatment and “specified date” means the date this bill is signed into law.

Sponsor: Tamika Jackson
House Designation: HB 26-04

72 hours to debate.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 02:20:43 AM »

Current Law, pretty sure I wrote all of Article III of R&RPHA with Scott doing minor revisions but he can correct me if I am remembering wrong:

Section 2: Coverage for Special Populations

1. All active duty military personnel shall be eligible for full coverage under AtlasCare, fully paid for by the Defense Health Agency, of the Sub-Department of Defense, within the Department of State, with no premiums, co-pays or deductibles.

2. All Veterans shall be eligible for full coverage under AtlasCare, with no co-pays or deductibles, with subsidies for premiums as described in Part 1, Section 3 of this Act. Cost normally associated with co-pays and deductibles shall be covered by the government through the Veterans Benefits Administration.
Tamika Jackson
beeman
Rookie
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 05:48:56 AM »

Mr. Speaker, in-light of the new information, I propose the following Amendment:

HOUSE BILL
To prohibit the Secretary of Veterans Affairs healthcare providers from charging veterans copayments for preventive services relating to COVID–19.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the Republic of Atlasia in Congress assembled,
SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the “No Coronavirus Costspays for Veterans Act”.

SEC. 2. PROHIBITION ON COPAYMENTS AND COSTS SHARING FOR VETERANS RECEIVING PREVENTIVE SERVICES RELATING TO COVID–19.

(a) Prohibition.—The Secretary of Veterans Affairs may not require any copayment or other cost sharing under chapter 17 of title 38, United States Code, Any healthcare provider that refuses to accept AtlasCare may not charge Veterans for qualifying coronavirus preventive services. The requirement described in this subsection shall take effect with respect to a qualifying coronavirus preventive service starting on the specified date.

(b) Reimbursement - The Secretary of Veterans Affairs will create a method of cost-reimbursement for healthcare providers who do not accept AtlasCare and end up providing coronavirus preventative services to a veteran. Reimbursement will be paid for through the AtlasCare budget.

(c) Definitions.—In this section, the terms “qualifying coronavirus preventive service” includes any treatment related to coronavirus testing, diagnosis, and treatment and “specified date” means the date this bill is signed into law.
Tamika Jackson
beeman
Rookie
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 01:05:03 AM »

Mr. Speaker, there does not seem to be any further debate on this bill. I call the question.

I yield.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 01:14:04 AM »

I, for one, would prefer that AtlasCare assume the cost of all COVID-related testing and treatment for both veterans and non-veterans. Otherwise catching this virus is going to bankrupt possibly thousands of people and possibly deter them from getting treatment if they need to.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 02:07:30 AM »

I, for one, would prefer that AtlasCare assume the cost of all COVID-related testing and treatment for both veterans and non-veterans. Otherwise catching this virus is going to bankrupt possibly thousands of people and possibly deter them from getting treatment if they need to.

I tend to agree with this point of view. We are asking a lot of our general public. The very existence of the term "essential workers" demonstrates the importance of so many various occupations and how they contribute to the fabric of our society.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2020, 02:46:30 AM »
« Edited: September 13, 2020, 02:54:35 AM by People's Speaker Joseph Cao »

Technically Ms. Jackson's amendment has been adopted as it saw no objections, but other representatives are welcome to introduce additional amendments to further address the concerns here if they so choose.
Tamika Jackson
beeman
Rookie
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2020, 04:58:09 AM »

I tend to agree with this point of view. We are asking a lot of our general public. The very existence of the term "essential workers" demonstrates the importance of so many various occupations and how they contribute to the fabric of our society.

Mr. Speaker,

Unfortunately, the reality is that many healthcare providers do not accept AtlasCare and I don't think we can force them to accept it.

The bill I've proposed at least covers our Veterans. I would be concerned about whether the Atlasian Treasury could afford to cover coronavirus care for all Americans, even though I could support such an effort.

May we send an inquiry to the Comptroller General?

I yield.
Tamika Jackson
beeman
Rookie
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2020, 05:24:28 AM »

Mr. Speaker,

I rise on a point of inquiry to ascertain the status of this bill.

I yield.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2020, 12:28:51 PM »
« Edited: September 22, 2020, 01:18:34 PM by People's Speaker Joseph Cao »

Mr. Speaker,

I rise on a point of inquiry to ascertain the status of this bill.

I yield.

We are still in the debate stage, as you can see from the thread title, though to say there has been debate here is admittedly straining the truth somewhat.

Our colleagues' concerns from earlier are certainly valid and should be commended for their thoughtfulness. It's lucky, then, that the Coronavirus Containment and Emergency Response Act Congress passed in March has got you covered:

Quote from: Text of CC&ER Act
Section 4. Testing and Treatment

(f.) AtlasCare and all private health insurance companies must provide free coronavirus testing and treatment.

So it would seem that both veterans and non-veterans won't need to assume any additional costs arising from COVID-19, as Scott called for previously.

Having said that, I will reiterate my call for further concerns or amendments if any of you feel they are needed.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2020, 12:40:53 AM »

Seeing no further debate, I motion for a final vote.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2020, 12:06:56 AM »

Representatives have 24 hours to object to the motion.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2020, 11:08:13 PM »

Sorry to pop in late here, but it seems that if AtlasCare and private health companies already cover everyone (which I stupidly forgot, and it was mine and Thumb's amendment) then this bill would be a tad redundant, no?
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2020, 11:34:05 PM »

Sorry to pop in late here, but it seems that if AtlasCare and private health companies already cover everyone (which I stupidly forgot, and it was mine and Thumb's amendment) then this bill would be a tad redundant, no?

If my reading of the current version of this bill is correct, its primary effect (in Section 2(b)) would be reimbursing the costs undertaken by healthcare providers specifically in the course of treating veterans for COVID. This reimbursement is outside the range of the original bill. Moreover, 2(a) qualifies some conditions around the requirement in the CC&ER Act that all COVID testing and treatment be free of charge.

Of course, representatives and other observers can feel free to correct me if my interpretation here is faulty.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2020, 12:27:21 AM »

Anyway, with no further objections, a final vote is now open on this bill.

Representatives, please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2020, 07:40:39 AM »

Aye
Tamika Jackson
beeman
Rookie
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2020, 08:59:30 AM »

Aye
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2020, 09:57:04 AM »

Aye
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2020, 11:56:38 AM »

Aye
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2020, 11:59:18 AM »

Abstain.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2020, 12:02:35 PM »

Abstain
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2020, 01:15:44 PM »

Aye.

A majority of representatives have indicated support. 24 hours to vote or change your vote.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2020, 01:16:23 PM »

Vote closed. By a vote of 5-0-2-2, this bill passes.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2020, 01:22:36 PM »

Quote from: Final House Text
HOUSE BILL
To prohibit healthcare providers from charging veterans for preventive services relating to COVID–19.

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the “No Coronavirus Costs for Veterans Act”.

SECTION 2. PROHIBITION ON COPAYMENTS AND COSTS FOR VETERANS RECEIVING PREVENTIVE SERVICES RELATING TO COVID–19.

(a) Prohibition.—Any healthcare provider that refuses to accept AtlasCare may not charge Veterans for qualifying coronavirus preventive services. The requirement described in this subsection shall take effect with respect to a qualifying coronavirus preventive service starting on the specified date.

(b) Reimbursement - The Secretary of Veterans Affairs will create a method of cost-reimbursement for healthcare providers who do not accept AtlasCare and end up providing coronavirus preventative services to a veteran. Reimbursement will be paid for through the AtlasCare budget.

(c) Definitions.—In this section, the terms “qualifying coronavirus preventive service” includes any treatment related to coronavirus testing, diagnosis, and treatment and “specified date” means the date this bill is signed into law.

People's House of Representatives
Passed 5-0-2-2 in the House of Representatives

Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2020, 01:31:38 AM »

Representatives have 72 hours to vote on the Senate amended text.

Quote from: Senate
Quote from: Final House Text
HOUSE BILL
To prohibit healthcare providers from charging veterans for preventive services relating to COVID–19.

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the “No Coronavirus Costs for Veterans Act”.

SECTION 2. PROHIBITION ON COPAYMENTS AND COSTS FOR VETERANS RECEIVING PREVENTIVE SERVICES RELATING TO COVID–19.

(a) Prohibition.—Any healthcare provider that refuses to accept AtlasCare may not charge Veterans for qualifying coronavirus preventive services. The requirement described in this subsection shall take effect with respect to a qualifying coronavirus preventive service starting on the specified date.

Section 3. Correcting Preventative Medicine Issues in the R&RPHA
Part I, Section 2, 1.a of the R&RPHA  is amended as follows:
Minimum Coverage Requirements
a. Preventative Care: Every exchange must offer at least one provider that covers preventative care with no co-pays, deductibles or out of pocket expenses, be it in the form of a private insurer, co-op or public health care benefit. Preventive care shall be defined as care related to disease prevention, early diagnosis and health maintenance, including clinical examinations, immunization, prenatal care and medically indicated screenings.

Part II, Section 2.2.a is amended as follows:

a. Benefits covered by AtlasCare plans shall be purchased individually, with recipients being covered under the following parts:

AtlasCare Part A provides benefits and coverage for

Inpatient hospital stays and care
    Hospice and home health services

AtlasCare Part B provides benefits and coverage for

Doctor and clinical lab services
    Outpatient and preventive care
    Screenings, surgical fees and supplies
    Physical and occupational therapy

AtlasCare Part B shall charge no co-pays, deductibles, or out of pocket expenses for preventative care, including immunizations.

People's House of Representatives
Passed 5-0-2-2 in the House of Representatives

Passed 6-0 in the Senate

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies