Who is the best/least bad of these world leaders?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 19, 2024, 09:25:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Who is the best/least bad of these world leaders?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ...
Donald Trump

Jair Bolsonaro

Vladimir Putin

Viktor Orban

Rodrigo Duterte

Recep Tayyip Erdoğan

Benjamin Netanyahu

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 69

Author Topic: Who is the best/least bad of these world leaders?  (Read 955 times)
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 08, 2020, 09:39:55 AM »

Inspired by a thread on the 2020 board. Pick your poison.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 10:00:44 AM »
« Edited: September 08, 2020, 10:09:08 AM by The scissors of false economy »

Trump might actually be the least bad policy-for-policy, Netanyahu's probably the least bad in terms of his motivations being understandable given the situation in which his country finds itself. They're all awful, obviously.

The worst policy-for-policy is probably Bolsonaro or maybe Duterte. The worst relative to what his country was like before him is Orban, whose regime is what would happen if right-wing r/thathappened "Mistaken for Racist" memes became sentient beings with intellect and will and teamed up with Tradcat Twitter police state integralists to run a country. This is a country that recently put on an all-white production of Porgy and Bess. Not even apartheid South Africa managed to get away with that!
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 11:58:29 AM »

Very easily and objectively Trump, no matter if you're an opponent or proponent.
F. Joe Haydn
HenryWallaceVP

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 12:25:06 PM »

Not Trump. Noam Chomsky likes to say that the current Republican Party is the "most dangerous organization in human history" because of their climate change denialism and, while maybe a bit hyperbolic, he's largely correct. I voted Erdogan because unlike anyone else on the list I could at least think of one good thing he's done (his intervention against Haftar in Libya).
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2020, 01:11:28 PM »

Orban by pure default.

All of them are a disgrace, though.
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2020, 01:51:43 PM »

Best at what? Because Trump is certainly best at being a buffoon Tongue
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2020, 02:03:16 PM »

My heroes.  Love

Duterte is probably my favorite.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2020, 02:31:58 PM »

Orban by pure default.

All of them are a disgrace, though.

What kind of default is it?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2020, 01:39:07 AM »

I have a lot of problems with Israel's treatment of Palestine, but Netanyahu doesn't really belong on this list with the others.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2020, 06:11:53 AM »

Voted Orban, because I know least about him.  That might’ve have been a mistake, Idk.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2020, 01:40:11 PM »

Well... let's check:

- Trump: Needless to say much, he's a massive scumbag, corrupt and inflicting terrible policies across the board.

- Bolsonaro: A literal fascist and outright bigot who glorifies a military dictatorship and burns down the Amazon.

- Putin: A thug who murders political opponents, invades sovereign countries like Ukraine and interferes in US and European elections.

- Duterte: A complete lunatic who thinks rape is a great thing and murders everyone on the street who is a suspected drug dealer without prosecution or anything.

- Erdogan: Turned Turkey into a de facto dictatorship and tries to impose his extreme conservative version of Islam on Turks, causing more problems here in Germany as well. Not to mention his illegal interventions, war on Kurds and collaboration with ISIS.

- Bibi: Totally corrupt, stands in the way of a peacedeal with the Arabs. Other than Orban, still the least bad.

- Orban: He's just governing a small country in central/eastern Europe with autocratic tendencies. I don't like most things he does, even though I partly agree on mass immigration from the Middle East. Not a great guy, but compared to the others above, he's the least bad. And it isn't that close.
ChrisMcDanielWasRobbed
KYtrader

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2020, 01:43:43 PM »

Bolsonaro is the best.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2020, 09:08:17 PM »

Rodrigo Duterte for three main things; his spats with the Catholic Church, having a more neutral policy on playing China and the US against one another, and ending the conflict in the Southern Moro region.

All these leaders have worked to suppress the working class, all of them are borderline fascists, and all of them are a net negative on international politics. However, I believe the Philippines hasn’t been as badly hit with the virus as the US and Du30 has done less damage internationally than Donald Trump. The list probably goes from best to worse:
1. Rodrigo Du30
2. Vladimir Putin
3. Donald Trump
4. Orban—in being a competent fascist that snuffed Hungarian democracy and is turning the Labor situation into America
5. Bibi/Bolsonaro—for aiding the US in the region against stabilizing powers along with acting as the head of the NATO bunker of the Levant region/Imperialism and ethnic cleansing in the Amazon and incompetence with COVID
6. Erd*gan—Same as Both all of 5 but is worse in being successful somewhat in the Islamization of Turkey

Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2020, 05:19:54 AM »
« Edited: September 10, 2020, 05:56:51 PM by Лучше красный, чем мёртвый »

Well... let's check:

- Trump: Needless to say much, he's a massive scumbag, corrupt and inflicting terrible policies across the board.

- Bolsonaro: A literal fascist and outright bigot who glorifies a military dictatorship and burns down the Amazon.

- Putin: A thug who murders political opponents, invades sovereign countries like Ukraine and interferes in US and European elections.

- Duterte: A complete lunatic who thinks rape is a great thing and murders everyone on the street who is a suspected drug dealer without prosecution or anything.

- Erdogan: Turned Turkey into a de facto dictatorship and tries to impose his extreme conservative version of Islam on Turks, causing more problems here in Germany as well. Not to mention his illegal interventions, war on Kurds and collaboration with ISIS.

- Bibi: Totally corrupt, stands in the way of a peacedeal with the Arabs. Other than Orban, still the least bad.

- Orban: He's just governing a small country in central/eastern Europe with autocratic tendencies. I don't like most things he does, even though I partly agree on mass immigration from the Middle East. Not a great guy, but compared to the others above, he's the least bad. And it isn't that close.

On the one hand, I might actually agree in the sense that Orbán is presumably the one doing damage to the least people.

On the other hand, after excluding extrajudicial killers, democratic dictators, and the fact that Bolsonaro is basically Trump but more extreme/crazy/offensive in any given direction, (leaving aside Bibi for a moment) I don't really want to take the ultranativist soft autocrat who makes De Gasperi roll in his grave every time he calls himself a Christian democrat over American Berlusconi With 100x Racial Animus.

Netanyahu is awful and his approach to the Holy Land dispute is troubling but I am not sure he belongs in the poll at all.
Wazza [INACTIVE]
Wazza1901
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2020, 11:05:48 AM »

V I K T O R
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2020, 11:43:30 AM »

As odious as he is, Netanyahu is probably the least authoritarian/strongest believer in democracy.
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2020, 03:51:32 PM »

1. Orban
2. Putin
3. Duterte
4. Erdogan
5. Bolsonaro
6. Trump
7. Netanyahu

From best to worst.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2020, 03:51:49 PM »

Probably Netanyahu. Not that I like him at all, but he doesn't have the same authoritarian tendencies and doesn't have the same negative impacts on a global or regional basis as the others. Plus Israel is comparatively small so he can do less cumulative harm.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2020, 04:04:43 PM »

Bibi. He's horrible but he's not as authoritarian as the others and his country is pretty small so he doesn't have the ability to wreak havoc like the others, especially Trump, Bolsonaro, and Putin.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2020, 05:22:49 PM »

Duterte but this is really not a great list to choose from.
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2020, 06:46:35 PM »

Worst is tied between Trump and Bolsonaro for pure irreversible damage to the world's environment. I can't really select a best, they're all atrocious in their own ways.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2020, 05:47:23 AM »

Probably Netanyahu. Not that I like him at all, but he doesn't have the same authoritarian tendencies and doesn't have the same negative impacts on a global or regional basis as the others. Plus Israel is comparatively small so he can do less cumulative harm.

I would argue the impact of Israel in the Middle East is anything but positive and it's obviously disproportionate with regard its population and size. In case the global and regional importance of the countries is the criteria, I'll have to go for the awful Viktor Orban as the least damaging individual. In what concerns authoritarianism, Bibi is a corrupt crook for the Jewish Israelis and a dictator for the subdued Palestinians.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2020, 06:35:00 AM »

I picked Orban because he is restrained heavily by the EU despite his authoritarian, socially conservative tendencies. Bibi also sort of counts if you discuss his policies within the green line alone(outside of it, he’s scary).  As for the others, Trump is probably in third, only because he likely has a limited amount of time left and has more restraint than his Portuguese speaking counterpart. Duterte and Bolsonaro are tied for fourth due to being horrible in their own ways and running counties that Spain/Portugal exploited. I’d had Putin in second to last due to being an actual dictator who is notoriously homophobic and Erdogan has that plus is directly tearing away at secularism and trying to turn Turkey into a theocracy.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2020, 10:32:45 AM »
« Edited: September 15, 2020, 10:36:01 AM by The scissors of false economy »

Rodrigo Duterte for three main things; his spats with the Catholic Church,

I understand why one would think that in general this is a good thing, but is it really a good thing in Duterte's case? He is somewhat less homophobic than your typical Filipino Catholic prelate, and that's commendable in what's still an extremely hetero-patriarchal society, but a lot of the other things he's attacked the Church on have to do with issues like the drug war and (formally) reimposing the death penalty where he's clearly the bad guy even from a socially liberal and anticlerical perspective.
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2020, 12:41:14 PM »

Orban
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies