L.C. 8.8: Amendment to the Lincoln Downballot Elections Act (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:46:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  L.C. 8.8: Amendment to the Lincoln Downballot Elections Act (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: L.C. 8.8: Amendment to the Lincoln Downballot Elections Act  (Read 781 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« on: September 04, 2020, 01:59:13 PM »

From a personal point of view such a change - RCV - could be implemented, but it would come with significant caveats. For one I wouldn't be able to give detailed results (the ones we already get take hours to determine) and would probably only be able to state the winner (at the very best the eventual final round, and I can't give guarantees on that).

But more importantly, I'd either have to come up with a method to allocate ranking preferences or parties would have to tell me who their voters should support next, and I suspect there might be some controversy as to what the method is for allocating preferences.

On the other hand, it was pointed out to me that Frémont had already made these changes via the Local Democracy Act so regardless of what Lincoln does I'll still be forced to implement this system there.

Ultimately I shall implement the system decided upon by Lincoln - and already selected by Frémont - to the best of my ability, but I will note any implementation of RCV will necessarily have its limitations.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2020, 02:07:17 PM »

Since we're addressing the subject of election laws, I'd like to ask for some clarification concerning a few points as well (they've been a bit confusing in calculating results):

II.5 states that all upper houses of state legislatures must be elected by Instant Runoff Vote in single-member districts, but II.3.xxi states the method for State Senate is ranked choice voting. Likewise, it states all Representatives - minus New Jersey with FPTP - are elected via ranked choice voting, but then it states they are to be elected via instant runoff voting in single-member constituencies. Does this mean people are meant to vote by ranking candidates until there's only two, and then there's the run off? I'm rather confused as to the intent there.

Also, I really need clarification on the system New Jersey uses for its upper house, I have to confess I don't understand it (and am unsure on how to simulate it).
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 10:26:05 PM »

That would be easier to simulate and less dificult to understand, yes. Important to note though that the amendment still leaves the "each upper house district", so it seems it would only apply to the State Senate as written.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies