L.C. 8.8: Amendment to the Lincoln Downballot Elections Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:24:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  L.C. 8.8: Amendment to the Lincoln Downballot Elections Act
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: L.C. 8.8: Amendment to the Lincoln Downballot Elections Act  (Read 756 times)
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 04, 2020, 12:29:18 AM »

Amendment to the Lincoln Downballot Elections Act

1. The Lincoln Downballot Elections Act shall be amended as follows

2. This shall take effect immediately after being signed by the Governor

Lincoln Downballot Elections Act

I. Elections

1. Gubernatorial elections and elections for state legislature shall occur every six months. The mayoral elections for New York City and Chicago shall also occur every six months. Gubernatorial elections will not occur at the exact same time in every state.

II. Composition

1. Each of these states shall have a bicameral legislature
2. House and Senate districts are not required to be nested unless stated otherwise, also each House and Senate seat must have equal population to other House and Senate seats
3. The number of legislators per state shall be as follows:
i.Wisconsin: 33 members of the State Senate and 99 members of the State House of Representatives
ii. Illinois: 59 members of the State Senate and 118 members of the State House of Representatives
              a. 2 voting districts for the House must be nested into each Senate district
iii. Michigan: 38 members of the State Senate and 110 members of the State House of Representatives
iv. Indiana: 50 members of the State Senate and 100 members of the State House of Representatives
v. Ohio: 33 members of the State Senate and 99 members of the State House of Representatives
            a. 3 voting districts for House must be nested into each Senate seat
vi. Pennsylvania: 50 members of the State Senate and 203 members of the State House of Representatives
vii. New Jersey: 40 members of the State Senate and 80 members of the General Assembly
            a. Each Senate district shall elect two representatives, in other words House and Senate districts have the exact same lines
viii. New York: 150 63 members of the State Senate and 63 150 members of the State House of Representatives
             a. nesting not required, however nesting districts is preferred, if possible
ix. Connecticut: 36 members of the State Senate and 151 members of the State House of Representatives
x. Rhode Island: 38 members of the State Senate and 75 members of the State House of Representatives
xi. Massachusetts: 40 members of the State Senate and 160 members of the State House of Representatives
xii. Vermont: 30 members of the State Senate and 150 members of the State House of Representatives
xiii. New Hampshire: 24 members of the State Senate and 400 members of the State House of Representatives
xix. Maine: 35 members of the State Senate and 151 members of the State House of Representatives
             a. three additional non-voting seats in the House of Representatives must be set aside for members of the Penobscot Nation, the Passamaquoddy Tribe, and the Houlton Band of Maliseets.
xx. Virgin Islands: 15 members of the upper house of the Legislature of the Virgin Islands and 25 members of the lower house
xxi. All elections for State Senate shall be conducted by ranked choice voting. All elections for House of Representatives, except in New Jersey shall be conducted by ranked choice voting
xxii. Elections for the General Assembly in New Jersey shall occur based on a first-past-the-post voting system.
4. All states shall have their “default” systems for electing the lower houses of their legislature as elections by instant runoff voting for single-member district constituencies; excepting New Jersey, whose default system shall be the election of two members in each upper house district by two separate instant runoff elections. Each state may additionally choose to adopt one of the following alternative systems:
i. Proportional list representation with no districts
ii. Mixed-Member Proportional system
iii. Elections to multi-member districts via Single Transferable Vote; each district electing 3 or more members.
States that choose to adopt such a system shall adjust their districts and nesting requirements accordingly. Such adoption may be simulated by the GM, including adoption by a state prior to the passage of this bill.
5. All upper houses of state legislatures must be elected by Instant Runoff Vote in single-member districts.
6. States shall have the option to switch to a parliamentary system, mirroring Lincoln’s own system; in such a system the Governor’s role would become more procedural and facilitators while the head of government would be selected by the governor and required to command confidence of a majority of the lower house. Adoption of such a system may be simulated by the GM, including adoption by a state prior to the passage of this bill.
7. All gubernatorial elections shall take place using an instant-runoff voting/ranked-choice voting system.
8. All mayoral elections shall take place using an instant-runoff voting/ranked-choice voting system.

III. Redistricting

1. Redistricting shall consist of a commission of the majority and minority leader of both houses of the state legislature, as well as 5 citizens, and 2 legislators from the minority party in the State House of Representatives
2. The commission must create a map that prioritizes one of these two goals: maximizing the competitiveness of districts or drawing districts proportional to partisanship
3. In areas where there is a high minority population, and it is possible to draw a seat where the voting age population of a minority coalition is greater than 50%, or where the voting age population of a specific minority group (i.e. African Americans or Latinos) that seat must be drawn by the commission.
4. In areas where it is possible to draw a seat as described in Section 3, Clause 1, but with a minority coalition or individual minority group population of above 40% of the voting age population, it is recommended that the commission draw that seat
5. For the purposes, of this act, the seats in Section 3 shall be known as Voting Rights Act seat (if it is a majority of a single minority) or a Minority Coalition seat (if they seat is formed by a majority of multiple minority groups)
6. For the purposes, of this act, the seats in Section 4 shall be known as Opportunity Seats
7. Redistricting shall occur every two years on this calendar (2021, 2023, 2025, 2027, etc.) as well as when necessitated by an election system change.

IV. Implementation

1. This act shall take effect two weeks after being signed into law

Sponsor: S019

Debate on this has begun and shall last for at least 72 hours
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2020, 12:35:52 AM »

So, this is very simple it fixes the NY issue and ends the problematic FPTP gubernatorial elections, where people are winning even though 60% of the electorate voted against them, I'd rather not have a bunch of Maine-style gubernatorial elections (and even they eventually got sick of people winning by pluralities), anyways, these are simples changes, and I don't expect anyone to have any problems with any of these.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2020, 06:54:46 AM »

Fixing NY is a must, though I will say that Lumine should be asked whether or not implementing RCV for governors and mayors is hard to simulate or if it is no big issue.

Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2020, 08:26:41 AM »

I can't speak for Lumine obviously but RCV simulation sounds like a total pain. I wouldn't want to kill our fantastic GM.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2020, 09:11:43 AM »

It would probably be a pain for Lumine, and from a Labor perspective RCV would significantly harm your chances as the DA, Feds and Liberals would all be expected to strongly preference each other over Labor.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2020, 12:20:43 PM »

It would probably be a pain for Lumine, and from a Labor perspective RCV would significantly harm your chances as the DA, Feds and Liberals would all be expected to strongly preference each other over Labor.

I would not be surprised if this leads to DA sweep of every remaining Lincoln contest.

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2020, 01:59:13 PM »

From a personal point of view such a change - RCV - could be implemented, but it would come with significant caveats. For one I wouldn't be able to give detailed results (the ones we already get take hours to determine) and would probably only be able to state the winner (at the very best the eventual final round, and I can't give guarantees on that).

But more importantly, I'd either have to come up with a method to allocate ranking preferences or parties would have to tell me who their voters should support next, and I suspect there might be some controversy as to what the method is for allocating preferences.

On the other hand, it was pointed out to me that Frémont had already made these changes via the Local Democracy Act so regardless of what Lincoln does I'll still be forced to implement this system there.

Ultimately I shall implement the system decided upon by Lincoln - and already selected by Frémont - to the best of my ability, but I will note any implementation of RCV will necessarily have its limitations.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2020, 02:07:17 PM »

Since we're addressing the subject of election laws, I'd like to ask for some clarification concerning a few points as well (they've been a bit confusing in calculating results):

II.5 states that all upper houses of state legislatures must be elected by Instant Runoff Vote in single-member districts, but II.3.xxi states the method for State Senate is ranked choice voting. Likewise, it states all Representatives - minus New Jersey with FPTP - are elected via ranked choice voting, but then it states they are to be elected via instant runoff voting in single-member constituencies. Does this mean people are meant to vote by ranking candidates until there's only two, and then there's the run off? I'm rather confused as to the intent there.

Also, I really need clarification on the system New Jersey uses for its upper house, I have to confess I don't understand it (and am unsure on how to simulate it).
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2020, 02:15:20 PM »

I thank the GM for his statement to the council. I do not believe that the issues he outlined would be worth implementing the RCV system for NPC elections. For as much as it would benefit my own party, and for as much as I do believe that in an ideal world RCV is the best electoral system, we are not in an ideal world. We're talking about simulated elections being calculated by just one person who has already put a great deal of effort into this. I personally quite enjoy the level of detail we've had so far and would hate to see it go.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2020, 05:21:20 PM »

Keep in mind that the more complicated this becomes the more difficult it shall become to maintain. Our objective should be to look for ways to make this sustainable long term.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2020, 05:24:12 PM »

Yeah I agree with Yankee.

I am not a fan of FPTP but it is probably the lesser evil here.

Either that or somehow transition all state governments to a parliamentary model could work; at the cost of deviating quite a bit from the RL United States (plus, we should switch to unicameral legislatures in that case)
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2020, 01:00:05 AM »

Okay, so RCV isn't passing and it's clear NJ needs to be fixed

Since we're addressing the subject of election laws, I'd like to ask for some clarification concerning a few points as well (they've been a bit confusing in calculating results):

II.5 states that all upper houses of state legislatures must be elected by Instant Runoff Vote in single-member districts, but II.3.xxi states the method for State Senate is ranked choice voting. Likewise, it states all Representatives - minus New Jersey with FPTP - are elected via ranked choice voting, but then it states they are to be elected via instant runoff voting in single-member constituencies. Does this mean people are meant to vote by ranking candidates until there's only two, and then there's the run off? I'm rather confused as to the intent there.

Also, I really need clarification on the system New Jersey uses for its upper house, I have to confess I don't understand it (and am unsure on how to simulate it).

So, NJ does its State House in a very weird way in that it elects two Representatives per every district. The way this is done IRL is basically a jungle/top-two primary and the top-two placers are automatically elected. This bill creates two separate elections for the two seats, which I think might be a bit confusing to simulate, so I'll put forward an amendment to bring back that system, if it's easier for you to simulate. Also, the Upper House is just a single-member district so it uses RCV. Basically, the House and Senate use the exact same lines, except the House elects two members per district, while the Senate elects one.

I. Elections

1. Gubernatorial elections and elections for state legislature shall occur every six months. The mayoral elections for New York City and Chicago shall also occur every six months. Gubernatorial elections will not occur at the exact same time in every state.

II. Composition

2. House and Senate districts are not required to be nested unless stated otherwise, also each House and Senate seat must have equal population to other House and Senate seats
i.Wisconsin: 33 members of the State Senate and 99 members of the State House of Representatives
ii. Illinois: 59 members of the State Senate and 118 members of the State House of Representatives
iii. Michigan: 38 members of the State Senate and 110 members of the State House of Representatives
iv. Indiana: 50 members of the State Senate and 100 members of the State House of Representatives
v. Ohio: 33 members of the State Senate and 99 members of the State House of Representatives
vi. Pennsylvania: 50 members of the State Senate and 203 members of the State House of Representatives
vii. New Jersey: 40 members of the State Senate and 80 members of the General Assembly
            a. Each Senate district shall elect two representatives, in other words House and Senate districts have the exact same lines
viii. New York: 63 members of the State Senate and 150 members of the State House of Representatives
ix. Connecticut: 36 members of the State Senate and 151 members of the State House of Representatives
x. Rhode Island: 38 members of the State Senate and 75 members of the State House of Representatives
xi. Massachusetts: 40 members of the State Senate and 160 members of the State House of Representatives
xii. Vermont: 30 members of the State Senate and 150 members of the State House of Representatives
xiii. New Hampshire: 24 members of the State Senate and 400 members of the State House of Representatives
xix. Maine: 35 members of the State Senate and 151 members of the State House of Representatives
             a. three additional non-voting seats in the House of Representatives must be set aside for members of the Penobscot Nation, the Passamaquoddy Tribe, and the Houlton Band of Maliseets.
xx. Virgin Islands: 15 members of the upper house of the Legislature of the Virgin Islands and 25 members of the lower house
xxi. All elections for State Senate shall be conducted by ranked choice voting. All elections for House of Representatives, except in New Jersey shall be conducted by ranked choice voting
xxii. Elections for the General Assembly in New Jersey shall occur based on a first-past-the-post voting system.
4. All states shall have their “default” systems for electing the lower houses of their legislature as elections by instant runoff voting for single-member district constituencies; excepting New Jersey, whose default system shall be the election of two members in each upper house district by two separate instant runoff elections. a blanket primary-style election, in which all candidates who desire to run for the seat shall run, and the top two finishers shall be elected. Each state may additionally choose to adopt one of the following alternative systems:
iii. Elections to multi-member districts via Single Transferable Vote; each district electing 3 or more members.
States that choose to adopt such a system shall adjust their districts and nesting requirements accordingly. Such adoption may be simulated by the GM, including adoption by a state prior to the passage of this bill.
5. All upper houses of state legislatures must be elected by Instant Runoff Vote in single-member districts.
6. States shall have the option to switch to a parliamentary system, mirroring Lincoln’s own system; in such a system the Governor’s role would become more procedural and facilitators while the head of government would be selected by the governor and required to command confidence of a majority of the lower house. Adoption of such a system may be simulated by the GM, including adoption by a state prior to the passage of this bill.
7. All gubernatorial elections shall take place using an instant-runoff voting/ranked-choice voting system.
8. All mayoral elections shall take place using an instant-runoff voting/ranked-choice voting system.

III. Redistricting

1. Redistricting shall consist of a commission of the majority and minority leader of both houses of the state legislature, as well as 5 citizens, and 2 legislators from the minority party in the State House of Representatives
2. The commission must create a map that prioritizes one of these two goals: maximizing the competitiveness of districts or drawing districts proportional to partisanship
3. In areas where there is a high minority population, and it is possible to draw a seat where the voting age population of a minority coalition is greater than 50%, or where the voting age population of a specific minority group (i.e. African Americans or Latinos) that seat must be drawn by the commission.
4. In areas where it is possible to draw a seat as described in Section 3, Clause 1, but with a minority coalition or individual minority group population of above 40% of the voting age population, it is recommended that the commission draw that seat
5. For the purposes, of this act, the seats in Section 3 shall be known as Voting Rights Act seat (if it is a majority of a single minority) or a Minority Coalition seat (if they seat is formed by a majority of multiple minority groups)
6. For the purposes, of this act, the seats in Section 4 shall be known as Opportunity Seats
7. Redistricting shall occur every two years on this calendar (2021, 2023, 2025, 2027, etc.) as well as when necessitated by an election system change.

IV. Implementation

S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2020, 12:10:23 AM »

So, this amendment has passed

Also we haven't had any debate here, and I'd like for the GM to say whether or not this is easier or harder to simulate
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2020, 10:26:05 PM »

That would be easier to simulate and less dificult to understand, yes. Important to note though that the amendment still leaves the "each upper house district", so it seems it would only apply to the State Senate as written.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2020, 01:07:10 PM »

I move for a final vote.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2020, 07:52:28 PM »

Objecting, I have contacted Lumine via DM (Discord Message) and he has told me that this still needs some clarification
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2020, 06:40:42 AM »

Cloture vote open and will remain open for 48 hours

NAY for the reasons stated above
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2020, 01:04:21 PM »

I withdraw the motion
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2020, 01:15:19 PM »

Seeing that IRV went pretty smoothly in Fremont this round, I'm willing to reconsider on that.

And also, BUMP!!!
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2020, 01:53:39 PM »

Seeing that IRV went pretty smoothly in Fremont this round, I'm willing to reconsider on that.

And also, BUMP!!!

Haven't forgotten about this, just been wondering how to clarify this since Lumine still finds it a bit unclear
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2020, 08:08:48 PM »

So, still nothing from the CG, so this is the only thing that we can really get done

I. Elections

2. Effective October 31, 2020, primaries for the elections in single member seats will be held 2 weeks before the election, and the filing deadline shall be three weeks before the election

II. Composition

viii. New York: 63 members of the State Senate and 150 members of the State House of Representatives
4. All states shall have their “default” systems for electing the lower houses of their legislature as elections by instant runoff voting for single-member district constituencies; excepting New Jersey, whose default system shall be the election of two members in each upper house district by a blanket primary-style election, in which all candidates who desire to run for the seat , regardless of partisan affiliation shall run, and the top two finishers in the popular vote shall be elected. Each state may additionally choose to adopt one of the following alternative systems:

III. Redistricting

IV. Implementation

Note to Lumine, so that this is clear:

This was an IRL election in 2019 in NJ's 19th House District, which used this system:

19th Legislative District General Election, 2019[8]
Party   Candidate   Votes   %
Democratic   Craig Coughlin (incumbent)   17,878   33.52% (ELECTED)
Democratic   Yvonne Lopez (incumbent)   17,039   31.95% (ELECTED)
Republican   Rocco Genova   9,046   16.96%
Republican   Christian Onuoha   8,705   16.32%
Independent   William Cruz   661   1.24%

Two Democrats were elected as both of the candidates with the greatest number of votes were Democrats
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2020, 08:09:03 PM »

Also 24 hours to object to this amendment
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2020, 10:22:59 PM »

Okay, so I think I've finally figured this out

I. Elections

2. Effective October 31, 2020, primaries for the elections in single member seats will be held 2 weeks before the election, and the filing deadline shall be three weeks before the election

II. Composition

4. All states shall have their “default” systems for electing the lower houses of their legislature as elections by instant runoff voting for single-member district constituencies; excepting New Jersey, whose default system shall be the election of two members in each upper house district by a blanket primary-style election, in which all candidates who desire to run for the seat, regardless of partisan affiliation shall run, and the top two finishers in the popular vote shall be elected, in New Jersey lower house elections all voters shall get two votes. Each state may additionally choose to adopt one of the following alternative systems:

III. Redistricting

IV. Implementation

This amendment fixes what I think had been a bit confusing, apparently each person gets two votes in NJ, which is why they use this top-two system, anyways 24 hours to object
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2020, 10:23:18 PM »

And also moving for a final vote, 24 hours to object to that (there's a reason that I double-posted)
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2020, 10:05:18 PM »

No objections so, the vote is now open and will be open for 48 hrs

AYE
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »