The Atlantic: Trump called Dead Soldiers “losers”
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 04:18:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Atlantic: Trump called Dead Soldiers “losers”
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23
Author Topic: The Atlantic: Trump called Dead Soldiers “losers”  (Read 19647 times)
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #475 on: September 05, 2020, 11:31:56 PM »

Trump's contempt, in Cohen's telling, extends broadly. Cohen characterizes Trump bluntly as racist, and says that while he never heard Trump use the "N-word," Trump used other offensive language.
Ranting about Obama after he won office in 2008, Trump said, "Tell me one country run by a black person that isn't a sh*thole...They are all complete ing toilets," according to Cohen. After Nelson Mandela died, Trump allegedly said of South Africa that "Mandela ed the whole country up. Now it's a sh*thole.  Mandela. He was no leader."
Cohen also divulges personal details about Trump, including his hair routine, described as a "three-step" combover designed to disguise "unsightly scars on his scalp from a failed hair-implant operation in the 1980s."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/05/politics/michael-cohen-book-trump-white-house/index.html

Take this with a grain of salt.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #476 on: September 06, 2020, 06:53:16 AM »

For the record, I fully believe that the vast majority of Republicans won't care even slightly about this story. Soldiers, like everyone else they claim to care about, are just a human shield for them. This will, however, hurt Trump's image even more and totally takes control of the narrative away from him in the precious few weeks before the election. Independent voters and potential third-party people will also likely be disgusted.
While I agree in general with what you stated about republicans, I do think this matters quite a bit to less politically involved WWC people who mainly like Trump because they identify with him and because he sticks it to the cultural elite, which they don't like. Some of these people care deeply about serving your country and will take offense at this. If it enough for them to vote for Joe Biden? Maybe not, but it could well be enough for them to sit this one out, just like it could make democratic leaning WWC'ers more inclined to actually show up for Biden. I'm not talking a huge percentage of the population here, but a point or two could make a big difference in a close electoral college election (I don't think the NPV will be particularly close).
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #477 on: September 06, 2020, 07:32:11 AM »

Trump's contempt, in Cohen's telling, extends broadly. Cohen characterizes Trump bluntly as racist, and says that while he never heard Trump use the "N-word," Trump used other offensive language.
Ranting about Obama after he won office in 2008, Trump said, "Tell me one country run by a black person that isn't a sh*thole...They are all complete ing toilets," according to Cohen. After Nelson Mandela died, Trump allegedly said of South Africa that "Mandela ed the whole country up. Now it's a sh*thole.  Mandela. He was no leader."
Cohen also divulges personal details about Trump, including his hair routine, described as a "three-step" combover designed to disguise "unsightly scars on his scalp from a failed hair-implant operation in the 1980s."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/05/politics/michael-cohen-book-trump-white-house/index.html

Take this with a grain of salt.

Whether or not it's true, we have the Scott Desjarlais precedent, as long as Trump appoints judges who are against abortion he's "King David" and allowed to pay for all the abortions he wants. It's the big picture that counts.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #478 on: September 06, 2020, 07:33:11 AM »

This one will probably help energize the Trump base more.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #479 on: September 06, 2020, 07:47:18 AM »
« Edited: September 06, 2020, 08:14:15 AM by afleitch »

Stopped clock.

Old Man Willow
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #480 on: September 06, 2020, 08:23:06 AM »
« Edited: September 06, 2020, 09:06:49 AM by Tucker 2024 »

You know the really sad part of this story?  Regardless of its veracity, nearly everyone can easily see Trump saying everything he is alleged to have said.  We know the content of his character well enough by this point.  

And we know the racist character of BLM.  The anarchist character of Antifa.  And the cowardly character of Joe Biden.

Why do you keep on repeating these messages? What about BLM, Antifa, and Joe Biden excuses what Donald Trump said here? And I've read your post elsewhere, where you state that you would still vote for Trump even if proof came out of him saying this. Like I've said, Trump supporters have dismissed this article as "fake news", and at this point, it's clear to me that absolutely nothing will deprive him of their support. Trump could throw a baby into a crockpot, and cook it on national television, and he would still get >40% of the national popular vote. He himself said that he could "shoot someone on Fifth Avenue and not lose any votes." He knows that no matter what he says or does, his base won't abandon him-this latest controversy proves it, and it was also proven by the Mueller investigation, by his impeachment, and by the pandemic.

So...because Trump said something awful about soldiers I'm supposed to elect the guy OK with BLM burning down the country? Alright then, Biden/Harris 2020!
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #481 on: September 06, 2020, 08:27:55 AM »

You know the really sad part of this story?  Regardless of its veracity, nearly everyone can easily see Trump saying everything he is alleged to have said.  We know the content of his character well enough by this point.  

And we know the racist character of BLM.  The anarchist character of Antifa.  And the cowardly character of Joe Biden.

Why do you keep on repeating these messages? What about BLM, Antifa, and Joe Biden excuses what Donald Trump said here? And I've read your post elsewhere, where you state that you would still vote for Trump even if proof came out of him saying this. Like I've said, Trump supporters have dismissed this article as "fake news", and at this point, it's clear to me that absolutely nothing will deprive him of their support. Trump could throw a baby into a crockpot, and cook it on national television, and he would still get >40% of the national popular vote. He himself said that he could "shoot someone on Fifth Avenue and not lose any votes." He knows that no matter what he says or does, his base won't abandon him-this latest controversy proves it, and it was also proven by the Mueller investigation, by his impeachment, and by the pandemic.

So...because Trump said something awful about veterans I'm supposed to elect the guy OK with BLM burning down the country? Alright then, Biden/Harris 2020!

Biden has repeatedly condemned violence. 
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #482 on: September 06, 2020, 08:30:17 AM »

Stopped clock.

Trump is like the Republican LBJ in that he’s the first president that wants nothing to do with his base.

And we know the racist character of BLM.  The anarchist character of Antifa.  And the cowardly character of Joe Biden.

So...because Trump said something awful about veterans I'm supposed to elect the guy OK with BLM burning down the country? Alright then, Biden/Harris 2020!

This is what we’re talking about. Trump is like a mirror image of LBJ.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #483 on: September 06, 2020, 08:42:13 AM »

And we know the racist character of BLM.  The anarchist character of Antifa.  And the cowardly character of Joe Biden.

I thought you were a staunch leftist-at least, that's the impression that I used to get from your posts. But you've seemed to have gravitated and become a staunch Trump supporter. Where is it said or indicated that Biden would be fine with BLM violence? And once again, how does this relate to what Trump said about soldiers?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #484 on: September 06, 2020, 09:11:27 AM »

I thought you were a staunch leftist-at least, that's the impression that I used to get from your posts. But you've seemed to have gravitated and become a staunch Trump supporter. Where is it said or indicated that Biden would be fine with BLM violence? And once again, how does this relate to what Trump said about soldiers?

'Tucker 2024' is a give away that he believes the optics of thr multi millionaire populist right.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #485 on: September 06, 2020, 09:23:28 AM »

So...because Trump said something awful about soldiers I'm supposed to elect the guy OK with BLM burning down the country? Alright then, Biden/Harris 2020!
No, I will not go away. I have given my opinion on the issue.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #486 on: September 06, 2020, 09:30:18 AM »

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/trump-came-dover-after-my-wife-was-killed-fighting-isis-ncna1239425

Together, as we waited for the plane that would bring Shannon home, we spent another 20 minutes talking about my wife, our children and what an amazing mother, wife, and soldier she was. It was clear to me that President Trump truly cared — not just that Shannon and three others had been killed in Syria, but about who Shannon and the three others were as people.

Then the president did something that I did not expect: he asked me what I thought about Syria and what we were doing there. He talked to me — a Green Beret and a combat veteran, not some expert at the Pentagon or a think tank — about the wisdom leaving troops in harm's way once ISIS’s territorial caliphate had been destroyed. It was clear to me that he was deeply conflicted about whether staying in Syria was worth the lives lost — Shannon and her three colleagues — on that day in January.

President Trump’s actions have shown our troops more respect than any president in my lifetime. His use of decisive military force only when absolutely necessary, combined with his reluctance to use the military as the sole tool of foreign policy, is not only good and smart, but the sign of utmost respect for the lives of our troops.

I believe people who sign their names to a statement.  Not unnamed, anonymous coward and liars.

Joe Kent is a Gold Star husband and a retired Army officer with 20 years of experience. He sits on the board of Military Families for Trump.

Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #487 on: September 06, 2020, 09:44:39 AM »

'Tucker 2024' is a give away that he believes the optics of thr multi millionaire populist right.

I recognize that now, but that obviously wasn't always his username, and he used to express positions that were much more on the left side of the ideological spectrum. I'm not sure why he modified his views.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #488 on: September 06, 2020, 10:03:09 AM »

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #489 on: September 06, 2020, 10:07:29 AM »

I believe people who sign their names to a statement.  Not unnamed, anonymous coward and liars.

You mean like Michael Cohen?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #490 on: September 06, 2020, 11:05:02 AM »

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/trump-came-dover-after-my-wife-was-killed-fighting-isis-ncna1239425

Together, as we waited for the plane that would bring Shannon home, we spent another 20 minutes talking about my wife, our children and what an amazing mother, wife, and soldier she was. It was clear to me that President Trump truly cared — not just that Shannon and three others had been killed in Syria, but about who Shannon and the three others were as people.

Then the president did something that I did not expect: he asked me what I thought about Syria and what we were doing there. He talked to me — a Green Beret and a combat veteran, not some expert at the Pentagon or a think tank — about the wisdom leaving troops in harm's way once ISIS’s territorial caliphate had been destroyed. It was clear to me that he was deeply conflicted about whether staying in Syria was worth the lives lost — Shannon and her three colleagues — on that day in January.

President Trump’s actions have shown our troops more respect than any president in my lifetime. His use of decisive military force only when absolutely necessary, combined with his reluctance to use the military as the sole tool of foreign policy, is not only good and smart, but the sign of utmost respect for the lives of our troops.

Joe Kent is a Gold Star husband and a retired Army officer with 20 years of experience. He sits on the board of Military Families for Trump.

I believe both. There are enough anecdotal stories that he can be very personable and a good man sometimes. I don't disbelieve that. Doesn't cancel out all the other crap he says and does.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #491 on: September 06, 2020, 11:08:28 AM »

I believe both. There are enough anecdotal stories that he can be very personable and a good man sometimes. I don't disbelieve that. Doesn't cancel out all the other crap he says and does.

I was reading an account of Trump from someone who met him as a young kid (I believe during the early 2000's).  The guy's brother grabbed the plush Spongebob he was holding and hurled it across the hotel lobby.  

Trump responded with "well, there goes Spongebob."

The thing is: for as much as I dislike Trump, that story made me smirk and I can definitely see him saying that.  
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #492 on: September 06, 2020, 11:22:29 AM »

Even CNN, which is biased as can be, aired a segment about Trump where they were pointing out that in private he was "kind".  (IIRC, it's from a show in 2016:  "Donald Trump:  All Business".

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #493 on: September 06, 2020, 11:28:23 AM »

Even CNN, which is biased as can be, aired a segment about Trump where they were pointing out that in private he was "kind".  (IIRC, it's from a show in 2016:  "Donald Trump:  All Business".

So is Hillary by all accounts but that didn't stop you from accusing her of running an underground child sex ring from a pizza parlor.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #494 on: September 06, 2020, 11:35:39 AM »

I get wanting a recording to confirm that this is true, but I don’t see how this isn’t believable, at least hypothetically. Either way, I’d love Trump supporters to clarify something for me:

Is Trump...

A) Showing who he really is in public and not being two-faced like most politicians (i.e. “he’s an asshole”, to quote Marty McFly)

or

B) Very different in private and a kind, down-to-earth businessmen who takes things seriously (i.e. putting on a show and just as “two-faced” as the politicians he claims to be so different from)

I’ve heard both stories, and I’d like to know which one is the truth,
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #495 on: September 06, 2020, 11:56:39 AM »

So is Hillary by all accounts but that didn't stop you from accusing her of running an underground child sex ring from a pizza parlor.

Quote where I did that, or admit you're lying.

It's that simple.  Put up or admit you're lying. 
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #496 on: September 06, 2020, 12:07:42 PM »

I'm talking about your party. As hard as it might be to imagine, not everything is about you personally.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #497 on: September 06, 2020, 12:09:00 PM »

Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #498 on: September 06, 2020, 12:20:39 PM »

Trump Jr. says Arlington Cemetery reminded him of his family's "sacrifices"
The historic cemetery, which memorializes hundreds of thousands of American troops, veterans and their families, reminded Trump Jr. "of all the attacks we’d already suffered as a family, and about all the sacrifices we’d have to make to help my father succeed."

Among those sacrifices was "voluntarily giving up a huge chunk of our business and all international deals to avoid the appearance that we were 'profiting off the office.'
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #499 on: September 06, 2020, 12:28:31 PM »

I'm talking about your party. As hard as it might be to imagine, not everything is about you personally.
Tbf you should of said “you guys” if you were talking about the right in general. The way you worded it does look like you’re accusing Fuzzy personally
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies