2020 Absentee/Early Voting thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:31:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  2020 Absentee/Early Voting thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 ... 120
Author Topic: 2020 Absentee/Early Voting thread  (Read 167859 times)
kireev

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1625 on: October 17, 2020, 10:51:43 AM »

This makes me optimistic about Florida...

I did no realize there was such a significant turnout difference between democrats and republicans in FL 2016...  Do we have the numbers for 2018?

Not sure but I think the common wisdom in Florida is that republicans can only win if democratic turnout is lower than theirs.  Biden seems likely to win Florida independents so that’s probably especially true this year.

I found this:  Tampa Bay largely mirrored the rest of Florida. Republicans’ turnout rate was about 68 percent, compared to 60 percent for Democrats. https://www.tampabay.com/florida-politics/buzz/2018/12/21/florida-republicans-turnout-beat-democrats-except-among-young-voters/

I could not find data for FL, but from the article it's pretty clear that even in 2018 republicans had a several points higher turnout than democrats.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1626 on: October 17, 2020, 10:52:51 AM »

I did no realize there was such a significant turnout difference between democrats and republicans in FL 2016...  Do we have the numbers for 2018?

Not sure but I think the common wisdom in Florida is that republicans can only win if democratic turnout is lower than theirs.  Biden seems likely to win Florida independents so that’s probably especially true this year.

I found this:  Tampa Bay largely mirrored the rest of Florida. Republicans’ turnout rate was about 68 percent, compared to 60 percent for Democrats. https://www.tampabay.com/florida-politics/buzz/2018/12/21/florida-republicans-turnout-beat-democrats-except-among-young-voters/

I could not find data for FL, but from the article it's pretty clear that even in 2018 republicans had a several points higher turnout than the democrats.

Right that’s why I don’t buy that this huge Democratic early turnout doesn’t matter.  Democrats are by and large lower propensity voters banking big votes is a very good thing.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1627 on: October 17, 2020, 10:53:19 AM »

I did no realize there was such a significant turnout difference between democrats and republicans in FL 2016...  Do we have the numbers for 2018?

Not sure but I think the common wisdom in Florida is that republicans can only win if democratic turnout is lower than theirs.  Biden seems likely to win Florida independents so that’s probably especially true this year.

I found this:  Tampa Bay largely mirrored the rest of Florida. Republicans’ turnout rate was about 68 percent, compared to 60 percent for Democrats. https://www.tampabay.com/florida-politics/buzz/2018/12/21/florida-republicans-turnout-beat-democrats-except-among-young-voters/

I could not find data for FL, but from the article it's pretty clear that even in 2018 republicans had a several points higher turnout than the democrats.

That's pretty much always the case in Southern States during off years. If GA had full turnout in 2018, Abraham's prolly would've won, but instead we only saw a 4% shift from 2016
kireev

« Reply #1628 on: October 17, 2020, 10:54:14 AM »

Right that’s why I don’t buy that this huge Democratic early turnout doesn’t matter.  Democrats are by and large lower propensity voters banking big votes is a very good thing.

I would also say it does matter. It does not guarantee Biden's victory, but it's a sign of high democratic enthusiasm.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1629 on: October 17, 2020, 11:20:11 AM »

Wisconsin: Mails in ballots requested: R +2
                Mails in ballots and early in person ballots returned: D +2

Is this data collected by looking at whether someone previously voted in the Democratic or GOP primaries? We don’t have party registration so I’m wondering as to what they’re getting this from.

That's what they claim: voting history, demographics and consumer interest. But this completely conflicts with polls showing that those that voted already are overwhelmingly democratic. I think 25% of Democrats in WI that were polled already voted early; only 5% of Republicans according to Siena/NYT poll.

Either polls will be historically atrocious or TargetSmart is up to something.

Well given TargetSmart's history they're up to smth alright, being massively off as per normal for them lol

I don't know their history so you fill me in. In WI's case, Democrats are actually doing worse (42-33) at this point than in 2016 (51-35). It defies logic.

Not sure where Umengus is getting the R+2 number from. Their current numbers have it D+9. That said we really shouldn't be arguing TargetSmart's modeled partisanship. It's really a crapshoot.
n1240

« Reply #1630 on: October 17, 2020, 11:21:31 AM »

Sample in NYTimes/Siena WI/MI polls are fairly small but they clearly paint a different picture than whatever TargetSmart thinks of the early vote electorate in those states. In both states the voters who have already voted are disproportionally white and old, which TargetSmart seems to be expecting to be a GOP favorable demographic, but the voters are still disproportionally Dem in the NYTimes/Siena data. In Michigan, the poll suggests 54% of people who have already voted are 65+ and 85% are white (25% and 77% overall respectively), while the party ID split among early voters is 53/18/29 D/R/I (32/33/29 overall). In Wisconsin it is 47% 65+ and 93% white (31% and 87% overall respectively) and party ID split is 56/11/33 (29/29/35) overall.

Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #1631 on: October 17, 2020, 11:22:36 AM »

Vishal Patel, M.D.
@VPatelMD
 · 57m
Update:

After only 4 days of voting, 3.4. MILLION ballots in Texas have been cast.

That's 37.9% of the total (8.9 million) ballots cast in 2016 with 15 early voting days and 1 general election day to go.

#TexasEarlyVoting #TexasTurnsBlue twitter.com/VPatelMD/statu…
n1240

« Reply #1632 on: October 17, 2020, 11:24:54 AM »

Early vote rate seems slower in Harris County today compared to weekdays over past week (usually had around 34k-35k at noon report, but this tweet says 11 am so maybe this is slightly outdated?) but still fairly strong.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1633 on: October 17, 2020, 11:26:21 AM »

Pure speculation here, but I wonder if we're seeing a sort of psychological phenomenon in Texas and Georgia where suddenly low-propensity voters who thought their vote wouldn't matter in either state are going to turn out in huge numbers because things look much closer this election. I'm not sure how you'd go about proving that, admittedly.

I can't speak much to TX other than its population is booming, but GA's automatic voter registration system began in January 2017 and has now had nearly 4 years to propagate.

It's technically quasi-AVR since it is done via the DMV: poorer people (who are of course low-propensity) are more likely to renew their licenses every 5 years as opposed to 8 due to cost. That of course means the vast majority of these individuals are now registered to vote when they might have not been otherwise. Georgia active registered voters are now 95% of VEP (including inactive RVs, 102%). Even in 2018, the effect of AVR would have only been half as strong as it is now.

How did they manage to trick the GOP-controlled state government into implementing AVR??
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1634 on: October 17, 2020, 11:28:51 AM »

Pure speculation here, but I wonder if we're seeing a sort of psychological phenomenon in Texas and Georgia where suddenly low-propensity voters who thought their vote wouldn't matter in either state are going to turn out in huge numbers because things look much closer this election. I'm not sure how you'd go about proving that, admittedly.

I can't speak much to TX other than its population is booming, but GA's automatic voter registration system began in January 2017 and has now had nearly 4 years to propagate.

It's technically quasi-AVR since it is done via the DMV: poorer people (who are of course low-propensity) are more likely to renew their licenses every 5 years as opposed to 8 due to cost. That of course means the vast majority of these individuals are now registered to vote when they might have not been otherwise. Georgia active registered voters are now 95% of VEP (including inactive RVs, 102%). Even in 2018, the effect of AVR would have only been half as strong as it is now.

How did they manage to trick the GOP-controlled state government into implementing AVR??

They're going to rig the election here so might as well implement AVR and look good to the public eye. Kemp would never have allowed that otherwise.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1635 on: October 17, 2020, 11:28:59 AM »

Vishal Patel, M.D.
@VPatelMD
 · 57m
Update:

That's 37.9% of the total (8.9 million) ballots cast in 2016 with 15 early voting days and 1 general election day to go.

TX could be a big driver of US turnout this year.

The state always had sh*tty turnout at around 50%, but this year it will probably be close to the US average because both sides consider it a swing state.

11-13 million votes maybe, instead of 9.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1636 on: October 17, 2020, 11:31:46 AM »

While we shouldn’t assume anything from EV I feel like there is a failure to appreciate the risk in the Trump campaign’s banking industry ED turnout in the year of a pandemic
kireev

« Reply #1637 on: October 17, 2020, 11:31:57 AM »

Early vote rate seems slower in Harris County today compared to weekdays over past week (usually had around 34k-35k at noon report, but this tweet says 11 am so maybe this is slightly outdated?) but still fairly strong.

Come on it's Saturday. People get up and do things later on Saturdays compared to weekdays.
forza nocta

« Reply #1638 on: October 17, 2020, 11:35:20 AM »

Lol why is Texas randomly dominating in turnout? Nearly 40% in 4 days??? Insane.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1639 on: October 17, 2020, 11:35:35 AM »

Vishal Patel, M.D.
@VPatelMD
 · 57m
Update:

The state always had sh*tty turnout at around 50%, but this year it will probably be close to the US average because both sides consider it a swing state.

I gotta say, while I am extremely doubtful of Blue-Xas, the political landscape is really changing in the area and a lot of voters are probably going to turn out now that it’s a “swing state”.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1640 on: October 17, 2020, 11:38:04 AM »

Vishal Patel, M.D.
@VPatelMD
 · 57m
Update:

I gotta say, while I am extremely doubtful of Blue-Xas, the political landscape is really changing in the area and a lot of voters are probably going to turn out now that it’s a “swing state”.

It’s probably a one-time-event this year because of Trump.

Once the Republicans nominate a normal conservative again in 2024 or 2028, the polling will be back to R+10 and lower turnouts.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1641 on: October 17, 2020, 11:40:50 AM »

Vishal Patel, M.D.
@VPatelMD
 · 57m
Update:

Once the Republicans nominate a normal conservative again in 2024 or 2028, the polling will be back to R+10 and lower turnouts.

I’m not so sure about that.
You seem to believe that people change parties based on policy preferences, but I actually wager it is somewhat the other way around.
Many of these Never-Trumpers will become Democrats in the long run. They have already begun the process of falling into a different “tribe” and of changing their media sources. Some will go back, but many others will become strangely liberal (despite it going against their interests)
Politics is more of a culture war than anything.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #1642 on: October 17, 2020, 11:42:02 AM »

Lol why is Texas randomly dominating in turnout? Nearly 40% in 4 days??? Insane.

Everything's bigger in Texas, duh.
n1240

« Reply #1643 on: October 17, 2020, 11:42:06 AM »

Come on it's Saturday. People get up and do things later on Saturdays compared to weekdays.

I'm clearly not painting is as a bad thing but as I previously stated early vote on weekends have been historically weaker in Texas compared to weekdays and expectations that the weekend vote would be better than what occurred during the week seemed bullish to me.
forza nocta

« Reply #1644 on: October 17, 2020, 11:48:01 AM »

I saw someone point out on Twitter about the turnout, and they’re right, that Texas was bottom 5 in turnout in 2016 and they just barely hit 50%. So their “turnout from 2016 %” is a little inflated since it was so low in 2016 to begin with,  which makes more sense. Regardless though, turnout is still high as of right now and is gaining fast.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1645 on: October 17, 2020, 11:55:40 AM »

Wisconsin released municipal data. Taking requests if anyone wants me to dig into it a bit. I'll have some of my own things I'm looking at.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1646 on: October 17, 2020, 11:58:02 AM »

Why is turnout so low today?  People don't have to work, so you think they'd have more time to go vote.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #1647 on: October 17, 2020, 11:59:37 AM »

Why is turnout so low today?  People don't have to work, so you think they'd have more time to go vote.

uh that aint true lol I work Today for both of my jobs
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1648 on: October 17, 2020, 11:59:56 AM »

As has been suggested by others, people tend to sleep later on Saturdays so they probably don't get out as early.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1649 on: October 17, 2020, 12:00:31 PM »

Yeah, I'm sure Republican voters are just itching to nominate someone like Kasich or Baker in 2024.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 ... 120  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies