S.20.3-15: Southern Small Business Administration Act (Law'd) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:35:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S.20.3-15: Southern Small Business Administration Act (Law'd) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: S.20.3-15: Southern Small Business Administration Act (Law'd)  (Read 698 times)
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

« on: September 01, 2020, 06:33:48 PM »

I would prefer more of this be in grants or some sort of direct payments as opposed to loans. I feel as if government loans can generally be pretty risky because of a lack of the government's incentive to underwrite risks. Just look at how much student loan debt has been accumulated because the government did not really underwrite those risks and is generous with how it gives out loans.

Also, many small businesses make far more than $100,000 dollars. $100,000 is nothing when you have multiple employees. That value should be significantly higher. I'm thinking at least $500,000, but probably more.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 03:36:50 PM »

I would prefer more of this be in grants or some sort of direct payments as opposed to loans. I feel as if government loans can generally be pretty risky because of a lack of the government's incentive to underwrite risks. Just look at how much student loan debt has been accumulated because the government did not really underwrite those risks and is generous with how it gives out loans.

Also, many small businesses make far more than $100,000 dollars. $100,000 is nothing when you have multiple employees. That value should be significantly higher. I'm thinking at least $500,000, but probably more.
Grants are included in the text, both are options. I can’t speak for Tim, but personally I’d be good with an amendment raising the limit allowed for a grant/loan.

I know, but I would like loans to be limited in some fashion.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2020, 03:40:18 PM »

I support diptheriadan's amendment.

However, I will not be voting for this bill unless an amendment is passed that makes loans be severely limited. I do not think the government does a good job with loaning money because, as I said earlier, government's lack a direct incentive to appropriately underwrite the risk/chance of the private business not being able to pay the loan back. Government has a lack of "skin in the game" whenever it loans out money, so to speak.

I am not sure what a good restriction/guideline would be. Perhaps 75% of the money could be earmarked for grants, and 25% of the money could be earmarked for loans. But I don't necessarily think that particular restriction is good policy
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 08:52:45 AM »

Still not super happy with the overall bill, but it's a net positive

AYE
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length